AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-04-03, 13:38   Link #4741
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

^For the record, your original question is:
"How come most anime/manga/novel characters are depicted to have European features, even though their Asian?"
And the answer to it was: it's just the art style (Mukokuseki)

Then you rejected it as the answer to your question and went on to say "[but there are] a lot of anime [that] sway toward reality," meanwhile failing to provide some examples to let others see what you mean.
RRW answered again that it's the choice of "character design" by the "anime/manga maker." That is very related to the individual artist's art style.

Then you said "Forget it," ending the post with "(question still left unanswered)." Irenicus came and repeat it's the "art style."
Now you said, "that [makes] a lot of sense."

TL;DR: The same answer was presented three times. You rejected it twice, believing your question was not answered, and then accepted it the third time.
Can you still say that "Only the questioner can truly tell you if their question was answered"?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 14:05   Link #4742
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

One could differentiate between a "thats an artstyle thing" and a psychology based answer to that question though.

For all what I know the characters, most of the time have to appear rather cute/childlike/innocent (to a certain degree), this is typically done by applying an artstyle that reflects the scheme of childlike characteristics (big head/eyes in comparison to the body... often rather thin arms, legs... and so on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuteness).
Knowing that, one can could go a step further and try to see a relation to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enjo_k%C5%8Dsai, but does not necessarily have to...
Old 2011-04-03, 16:01   Link #4743
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Ok, pancake's question has already been fully answered. Let's move on to something else before things degrade into an argument.
Old 2011-04-03, 20:45   Link #4744
pancakes
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachopvutru View Post
^For the record, your original question is:
"How come most anime/manga/novel characters are depicted to have European features, even though their Asian?"
And the answer to it was: it's just the art style (Mukokuseki)

Then you rejected it as the answer to your question and went on to say "[but there are] a lot of anime [that] sway toward reality," meanwhile failing to provide some examples to let others see what you mean.
RRW answered again that it's the choice of "character design" by the "anime/manga maker." That is very related to the individual artist's art style.

Then you said "Forget it," ending the post with "(question still left unanswered)." Irenicus came and repeat it's the "art style."
Now you said, "that [makes] a lot of sense."

TL;DR: The same answer was presented three times. You rejected it twice, believing your question was not answered, and then accepted it the third time.
Can you still say that "Only the questioner can truly tell you if their question was answered"?
I wanted to know WHY. I stated that Irenicus's explanation was best, so I concluded it as my answer. Why was his the best? Because he explained and answered in a clear way. And the three replies I got are not the same, if you think otherwise that's your opinion,yet not a fact. Also please stop with the quotes. I can read. I know what I said. You do not have to repeat everything twice, and there's no need to be so aggressive. It's anime.

But alas, my question is answered. I need no further expertise. Thank you.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 10:50   Link #4745
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
I understand this princible, but that doesn't apply to all anime. Yes, there are some where they have GOOFY hair, like pink or green or purple. But, a lot of anime sway toward reality. In making characters that actually resemble real races and people. Mukokuseki says that animes use a mix of everything and the unrealistic. While most animes, depict white characters, with REAL hair colors (like blonde,brown,red,black sometimes), with just un-asian features. WHO LIVE IN ASIA!! So if your gonna depict the real thing, why not?
Anime started out as animation copied in style from the old American golden age cartoons. They kept the overly heighted eyes as part of emotion, which is their purpose to be able to show more emotion in their characters.
It never changed because anime and manga style are given down from master to student, so everyone learns the same basics as their master used in his/her own work and maybe later made this a personal style but usually it looks the same and hence why it never really changed to realistic for some people.
The bright colours for hair and such is just a character design with narative meaning, I mean some hair colours fit certain personalities or make it easy as a viewer to predict who is going to full fill what role in a series.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 11:05   Link #4746
pancakes
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Anime started out as animation copied in style from the old American golden age cartoons. They kept the overly heighted eyes as part of emotion, which is their purpose to be able to show more emotion in their characters.
It never changed because anime and manga style are given down from master to student, so everyone learns the same basics as their master used in his/her own work and maybe later made this a personal style but usually it looks the same and hence why it never really changed to realistic for some people.
The bright colours for hair and such is just a character design with narative meaning, I mean some hair colours fit certain personalities or make it easy as a viewer to predict who is going to full fill what role in a series.
Well my question was answered, but I appreciate the response . And I must say someone already said this, but you BY FAR did the best in explaining it. Thank you very much for your time. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 2011-04-04, 13:21   Link #4747
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Any dog owners out there have any suggestions on the best way to feed your dog?
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 14:18   Link #4748
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Any dog owners out there have any suggestions on the best way to feed your dog?
It won't eat out of a bowl or something like that?
Old 2011-04-04, 17:24   Link #4749
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
It won't eat out of a bowl or something like that?
Mine refuses to eat any kind of commerical dog food (unless he's fed nothing then he kind of resigns to a few bites), so I'm thinking what kinds of meat and vegetables would be good for him.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 18:09   Link #4750
pancakes
*Author

I feed mine mostly meat. Usually chicken or beef. He loves it and it's cheap. Also sometimes scrambled eggs, since their high in protein. As for vegetables, I'm not sure. I really don't think dogs NEED vegetables. My dog never had any his entire life, and he's fine.

Besides, dog food is nasty and overpriced. Your better off with regular food.
Old 2011-04-05, 02:03   Link #4751
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

It depends ont he age of the dog, puppies are somewhat known to refuse to eat.
To get them to eat, this is what we did with our dog that is, just add some left over graphy from cooking to the bowl, like less than 1 tea spoon. Ours started eating her food right away ever since and when she did start eating it we gradually stopped (within the week or so) and she never really noticed.
You can try feeding them the food as a snack during walks or training, but allas this has a low success rate and only works if the dog is young.
Lastly some dogs do not eat all their food in one go, I know some who don't (unbelievable or not) so you can try leaving it in the bowl for the rest of the day, as long as she eats it eventually it is good.

Chicken is good, but remember those kinds fo food will make your dog overweight in no time. Do not add in any bones, because dogs cannot digest nor chew them properly like wolves can. I wouldn't start giving pets normal food, they are dogs for a reason not humans. It will only provoke begging behaviour so when you eat some chicken the dog will start drooling next to you because he usually eats it too.

Raw eggs are only good once every year or so and are only good for their fur (makes it more shiney). Dogs don't need vegetables, though mine likes fruit every once in a while but not as a daily meal because they get sick from it.
Old 2011-04-05, 04:54   Link #4752
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Mine refuses to eat any kind of commerical dog food (unless he's fed nothing then he kind of resigns to a few bites), so I'm thinking what kinds of meat and vegetables would be good for him.
From what little I know of dog handling, you might want to try experimenting with different brands of dog food - some dogs can be fussy with what they eat. If they like natural unprocessed food, you might want to get some lean meat from the butcher (300g should be enough).

I have heard that eggs can cause diarrhoea, so I wouldn't exactly recommend them.

Disclaimer - the dogs I handled before are guard dogs. The only experience I have with a dog not eating was that it is depressed that its previous handler finished his term of service, and it subsequently tried to eat a sergeant after days of anorexia.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 22:52   Link #4753
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Meat, some fatty and some lean. I've never fed my dogs vegetables as I believe they naturally supplement their diet with native grasses from my backyard.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 12:57   Link #4754
jedinat

Why do I fairly often see in manga a character (usually middle/high school) going to a "family restaurant" for the first time? I'm guessing these restaurants are perceived differently than the ones in the US. Or maybe we don't have the same kind of restaurants. In anime/manga they all look very similar too; sort of diner-ish.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 19:48   Link #4755
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Is the iPhone 5 the same size as the iPhone 4? (I plan to use the iPhone 4 cover on the iPhone 5....)
Old 2011-04-09, 10:35   Link #4756
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Depends. You have got to check with a legit retailer, not just some corner shop and look at the specs. Usually Apple stuff only change the exterior design and the processors, then market them as something else.

Question : Does anyone know of a guide to writing fiction? What is the difference between regular fiction and light novels? I realise that I completely suck at writing anything else but critical essays.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-04-09, 10:50   Link #4757
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Depends. You have got to check with a legit retailer, not just some corner shop and look at the specs. Usually Apple stuff only change the exterior design and the processors, then market them as something else.

Question : Does anyone know of a guide to writing fiction? What is the difference between regular fiction and light novels? I realise that I completely suck at writing anything else but critical essays.
Lightnovel: mostly simple japanese, word count isn't as high as a fiction story or literature, different reader group. Simple to read.

Fictional story: basically for a wider audience if the writer wants it to be. higher word count, if the writer knows what he/she is doing will use better grammar and word choosing instead of that in lightnovels, so hopefully it isn't as junior/high school level of words as in light novels.

By word count I mean per book, also lightnovels can have very short paragraphs.

If you want to write fiction, learn to properly use language in writtings, narrative structure.
Old 2011-04-09, 11:15   Link #4758
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
You understand that’s Japanese only, right? A lot of differences are in the style and they are japanese culture differences (in a manner of speaking). Aside from the language other characteristics include the target audience, illustrations, and the way they usually end up to the consumers. They're length is also a factor, if by regular fiction you are thinking more modest story telling. I’m no expert, but I do believe the western equivalent is a graphic novel.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a guide to writing fiction?
There is no guide; aside from basic terminology, grammer, and writing style conventions. The best guide is to just write, read, get feedback, or simply reflect on your writing yourself and self-improve.

Anyway, here’s a simple common sense list:
  • think of a cool story gimmick
  • think of a cool character (or a few)
  • think of a basic ending
  • make a basic plan
  • do some research
  • write
  • write
  • re-vise plan
  • write
  • etc.
Anyway, yeah, writing more is the only way to learn to write better.
Old 2011-04-09, 14:51   Link #4759
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Question : ...I realise that I completely suck at writing anything else but critical essays.
So you've noticed, eh?

Creative fiction requires a different set of skills from just simply writing. In a way, essay-writing is much easier: it's mostly about chaining together a series of abstract thoughts into a coherent narrative. The deciding factor between a good or a bad essay, to me at least, is quite simply, knowledge.

Fiction writing, on the other hand, requires a little bit more than just knowledge. It's also about insight and, perhaps just as important, empathy. The ability to visualise an image in your mind's eye, then turning the abstract into something concrete that others can "see" through the words you use.

If you think about it, artists approach their craft in a similar fashion. Writers bring a thought to life by putting pen to paper the way painters turn imagination into reality by putting brush to canvas. In that sense, it's sometimes curious that there doesn't seem to be a "standard" way to teach creative writing the way painting or drawing is typically taught.

Quote:
Question : Does anyone know of a guide to writing fiction?
I was recommended Stephen King's On Writing.

For a quick and dirty summary:

Six rules for writing a bestseller (Guardian)
Quote:
The job boils down to two things: paying attention to how the real people around you behave and then telling the truth about what you see.
Excerpts from On Writing
Quote:
In truth, I've found that any day's routine interruptions and distractions don't much hurt a work in progress and may actually help it in some ways. It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters.
And I find this to be extremely true:
Quote:
The scariest moment is always just before you start.

Finally, I believe there are at least two published novelists among AnimeSuki forum members, BBOvenGuy and John Smith. If you're truly interested, it can't hurt to drop them a message.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 00:48   Link #4760
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
So you've noticed, eh?

Creative fiction requires a different set of skills from just simply writing. In a way, essay-writing is much easier: it's mostly about chaining together a series of abstract thoughts into a coherent narrative. The deciding factor between a good or a bad essay, to me at least, is quite simply, knowledge.
I am lost Ed. By the idea of "abstract thoughts", does it mean in the sense of just plain "ideas" surrounding a central one, or multiple summaries of different themes chained together in a story flow?

Quote:
Fiction writing, on the other hand, requires a little bit more than just knowledge. It's also about insight and, perhaps just as important, empathy. The ability to visualise an image in your mind's eye, then turning the abstract into something concrete that others can "see" through the words you use.
It is often quoted that "a picture says a thousand words", so therefore a series of moving image depicting events, even at 32 FPS would result in tens of thousands of words. With this long a text, shouldn't there be some sort of way to stop it from turning into TL;DR?

Tags
problem, q&a, serious