AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-21, 21:14   Link #21
chucky
Always impatient

Wow, I am more than impressed by this urban myth. Actually where did you read this actually? I googled and looked up wikipedia, and the very last thing is only hotel booking and 15 days vacation package (whew, it's aruba not aleutian... thanx god). Please, for god's sake, dont tell me you got that from a... eh.... blog.....

And even if I concede that can happen, it doesnt make a tad difference. You can still have luffy pulls out a mini nuke grenade and destroy the buster call, or a goku's kame hame ha and kill all the admirals in one millisecond. It is Oda's story, and the setting is always at his mercy. However the very same question had already been asked concerning last chapter can be applied again here: is it a good way to write a story?

Remember the setup was this: everyone gave a death sentence to going merry because of its broken keel, and even Usopp knew its end in advance of everyone else. The tension and the drama in most of the water 7 arc came from this, which is arguably the most captivating part of the story, esp with luffy-usopp tirade as an extension from that.

Now thanks to Oda, almost all the tension built up in the past that keeps us 2nd guessing is blown to pieces. Usopp and Luffy suddenly make up, and everyone is happy together with a snap of finger.

And is the return of merry planned ahead? No, i dont think anyone can see the hints given in advance. If Oda did show me he had already planned this wierd occurence, yeah, I would it still wouldnt be satisfactory but at least not as terrible. And comparing to its haphazard return with the plots in skypiea and alabasta and etc, no, I can only see an Oda throwing in story at random without a clear story plan in hand as demostrated in the past, not to mention without the flair and intricacy in terms of plot design.

Last edited by chucky; 2006-09-21 at 21:44.
Old 2006-09-21, 21:21   Link #22
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
And is the return of merry planned ahead? No, i dont think anyone can see the hints given in advance. If Oda did show me he had already planned this wierd occurence, yeah, I would it still wouldnt be satisfactory but at least not as terrible. And comparing to its haphazard return with the plots in skypiea and alabasta and etc, no, I can only see an Oda throwing in story at random without a clear story plan in hand as demostrated in the past, not to mention without the flair and intricacy in terms of plot design.
I disagree, I think Oda has alot of things planned out in advance. The K-mann was shown over 100 chapters in advance before he was even critical to the storyline. This arc may just as well been throughly planned out to the very last detail, but who knows?
Old 2006-09-21, 21:26   Link #23
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed
It's pretty obvious Merry was going to show up sooner or later. I mean, seriously. Killing off a partial-character like Merry so suddenly like that just isn't how things are done in OP.
I expect a more formal farewell too, but not like what we have got in this chapter. I mean, if the strawhats escape with the marine ship they robbed, what is the difference from merry? Of cuz, everyone including Oda can come up with a post mortem justification like "they are not gonna sail the ship with the same proficiency so they need merry for escape" blah blah. But you know, merry itself doesnt carry a laser beam cannon and, I really dont know what its appearnce in Enies Lobby strives to do, other than another tearjerker.

Last edited by chucky; 2006-09-21 at 21:39.
Old 2006-09-21, 21:27   Link #24
ragweed
woah woah!

You've got a good point. Merry is worn out and hardly sail-worthy. It's still to early to really tell what Oda's plan is, but I think it may have something to do with their new ship.
Old 2006-09-21, 21:34   Link #25
chucky
Always impatient

Quote:
I disagree, I think Oda has alot of things planned out in advance. The K-mann was shown over 100 chapters in advance before he was even critical to the storyline. This arc may just as well been throughly planned out to the very last detail, but who knows?
Well, k-mann is there and we know that. But it can even sail to Enies Lobbies? As I said, it is still possible, and it is still Oda's world and he can make sense of anything he likes. But do we have hints it can still go on after all the ordeal? Well, he didnt say it couldnt, but neither did he say so. You know, on the same token we can have something like merry becomes a transformer, taking out 2 giant-size SIG and feeding everyone with bullets like Rambo....

What I am trying to say is: there is always a limit of imagination and crossing that boundary can severely curtail the power of the story.

Also, whether he really "planned that ahead", you are right, is something we wont possibly know. But he could have given us some hints in the manga, and he didnt, and it is perfectly understandable that some people like those in arlong park or myself have doubt over that.

Last edited by chucky; 2006-09-21 at 21:48.
Old 2006-09-21, 23:55   Link #26
Slayerx

Quote:
In 1623, a small Spanish ship containing the equivalent of 250 million dollars worth of gold was lost at sea close to Aruba. Did it sink? Was it robbed? Nobody knew.

Flash forward to 1965. While conducting some petroleum research on one of the Aleutian Islands in Alaska, Ltd. Emmit Williams found the ship. No, not under the sea, but rather floating. Sure, the whole thing was totally rotting, not to mention that water filled almost a quarter of its cargo area. However, miraculously, it was still floating. No, there was absolutely no money inside, just a floating, rotting ship.
Y'know, i think the most interesting part was that the ship found it's way to alaska... i mean, it had to go around a continent...

The whole abandoned ghost ship though, doesn't really strike me as THAT farfetched (it's not like it's keel was broken =P)... seems like an easy guess to say the ship was attacked by pirates (or something), the crew killed/thrown overboard, and the ship abadonded... not sure why poeple make such a big deal over that part... now, if the ship was found abandoned with 250 million still it's cargo hold.; now THAT would be odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
is it a good way to write a story?
Amen to that...

Quote:
Remember the setup was this: everyone gave a death sentence to going merry because of its broken keel, and even Usopp knew its end in advance of everyone else. The tension and the drama in most of the water 7 arc came from this, which is arguably the most captivating part of the story, esp with luffy-usopp tirade as an extension from that.

Now thanks to Oda, almost all the tension built up in the past that keeps us 2nd guessing is blown to pieces. Usopp and Luffy suddenly make up, and everyone is happy together with a snap of finger.
Indeed...
a bit off topic, I'm reminded of how one of my favorite things about Ussop's crys for merry was the fact that he did not once mention Kaya... he was truly speaking for his love for Merry and not his love for kaya...

Quote:
But you know, merry itself doesnt carry a laser beam cannon and, I really dont know what its appearnce in Enies Lobby strives to do, other than another tearjerker.
indeed, can't see how the merry will really help them get out of there... i mean, the explosion from those cannons are HUGE... Those things will do damage even if they miss by 50ft... and with atleast 3 cannons per BC ship, they got more cannonballs then the strawhats can throw back...

I still want to go with the theory that the strawhats would loose to the BC, get captured and end up getting sent to impel down (followed by escape), which i mentioned in previous threads... i'm fine with my theory being wrong (like most theories), but i'd atleast like a good reason why...

Quote:
Also, whether he really "planned that ahead", you are right, is something we wont possibly know. But he could have given us some hints in the manga, and he didnt, and it is perfectly understandable that some people like those in arlong park or myself have doubt over that.
With a storyline this long, i imagine that Oda does plan much of it out ahead of time, i believe it's even been mentioned he already knows how it will end... He's probably knew this is how it would go down in Enies lobby for a long time now... grant it, whether or not he planned it, doesn't really make it right...

Though i am remined of how in the anime, when sogeking was talking to robin on the train, there was the going merry sailing right next to the train with a spiritual green fire around it... I don't think this was in the manga though... i kinda read it as more of a symbolical thing, as opposed to merry literally following them -.-

Last edited by Slayerx; 2006-09-22 at 00:49.
Old 2006-09-22, 01:43   Link #27
deltara

In which anime episode there was this spiritual green light

Which anime episode?
Old 2006-09-22, 02:09   Link #28
Mr Ten

Well... I am a bit disapointed by the turn of events too but i'll take defense of Oda. What Chucky and Slayerx said make sense and is true in a way, but i think the problem is that we are judging the story chapter by chapter, not as a whole. Merry coming back has caught me off guard and disapoint me, but when you think about it it is logical. The last "crewmember" also came to help the crew, and probably as a last farewell. Don't worry, the ship is broken and i guess it is the last trip that merry will do. They'll get a new ship later, but for this time merry will help (not save the day of course but give a hand). It's true that Buster Call canons could destroy it in one shot but i guess this is where we'll see Kabuto in action. One Piece is a manga about dreams and impossible things coming true (like an idiot kid becoming pirate king), so that makes sense too in a way.
Old 2006-09-22, 02:21   Link #29
S_C_L-1

oh common... getting all pissed because the merry made an appearance? we dont even know where hes gonna go with it yet! (in terms of story)

and as for the whoal "the klauberrman wouldnt be able to sail the merry blah blah", the Klauberrman IS the merry...

EDIT: actually, Oda DID give us a hint of some sort...

the merry came out of that giant hole beneath EL didnt it? he was hinting about it when they first introducted the topography... but Paulie didnt know anything about it... so neither did we.

Last edited by S_C_L-1; 2006-09-22 at 02:40.
Old 2006-09-22, 05:00   Link #30
Dr.Kureha

I dont think the merry comming back to try help is that unbelievable. When all the other crewmates are beat up to buggery n on deaths door they force themselves to keep goin for the sake of the others. Merry is just doin exactly the same thing for the sake of the strawhats.

I think there might be a little flash back of Iceburg patching merry up just for one last trip.....it'll just stay together long enough to save the strawhats.....then it can have a proper farwell.
Old 2006-09-22, 05:14   Link #31
S_C_L-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Kureha
I dont think the merry comming back to try help is that unbelievable. When all the other crewmates are beat up to buggery n on deaths door they force themselves to keep goin for the sake of the others. Merry is just doin exactly the same thing for the sake of the strawhats.

I think there might be a little flash back of Iceburg patching merry up just for one last trip.....it'll just stay together long enough to save the strawhats.....then it can have a proper farwell.
or start sinking halfway and they find a way to get to water 7 or something...
Old 2006-09-22, 12:24   Link #32
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
grant it, whether or not he planned it, doesn't really make it right...
Of course it makes it right. If he planned it, it just means that he didn't write himself into a corner and is using Merry as a 'escape from jail' card. You can not like it and choose whether or not you will accept it. That's really all there is to it. You can choose to call it poor writing, but what exactly about it is poor? We already know people don't die needlessly or without a grand finale in this manga, so it's not like this is somthing totally unexpected. The Merry appearing hasn't been explained yet either, so criticizing it right now it is a tad impetuous.

Last edited by ragweed; 2006-09-22 at 12:38.
Old 2006-09-22, 13:21   Link #33
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
You've got a good point. Merry is worn out and hardly sail-worthy. It's still to early to really tell what Oda's plan is, but I think it may have something to do with their new ship.
It has already repaired itself, and it has survived a long-distance dangerous trip. Right now, it is more like a regenerated Merry. I was hoping Franky building a great ship, so I hope that will not be the case, and this trip will be the official farewell from Merry. Who knows, maybe Merry's heart will be used in the next ship, becoming a real member of the crew.
Old 2006-09-22, 13:37   Link #34
ragweed
woah woah!

I'm kinda glad she returned, if only to be put to rest in the next few chapters. Merry really is the only one who can reconcile Luffy and Usopp.
Old 2006-09-22, 13:43   Link #35
Chuixupu
Shikachu

I have to say, I was waiting for this moment. I was starting to think it wouldn't happen, but I thought of a scene like this happening where Merry appears and saves Luffy a loooong time ago. As for whether Merry is back for good, I don't know, I tend to believe what the shiprights say. I would rather this be Merry's final hurrah rather than the final return, but then if they have a good explaination for Merry permenantly returning, then that's OK too. But then this leaves the question again of what part Franky will play. There was one person who vehemently disagreed against Merry departing because he thought it would be like the classic Star Trek losing the Enterprise for another ship. But is One Piece really the same?

Anyway, this was just a wonderful heart-pounding chapter, albeit a bit chaotic. Maybe now all the people who bashed Usopp for fighting over Merry can finally shut up for good now. Instead they'll find other things, but oh well. XD
Old 2006-09-22, 13:52   Link #36
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Maybe the other spirits from Tom's previous ships, that may be resting under water 7, helped Merry.
Old 2006-09-22, 19:21   Link #37
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltara
Which anime episode?
Episode 260, about 8:30 minutes in... and my bad, it was more of a blue fire, not green... also just noticed that it also shows merry falling apart in the flames...

Quote:
Of course it makes it right. If he planned it, it just means that he didn't write himself into a corner and is using Merry as a 'escape from jail' card. You can not like it and choose whether or not you will accept it. That's really all there is to it. You can choose to call it poor writing, but what exactly about it is poor? We already know people don't die needlessly or without a grand finale in this manga, so it's not like this is somthing totally unexpected. The Merry appearing hasn't been explained yet either, so criticizing it right now it is a tad impetuous.
So... if he 'planned' for Merry, as Chucky said, "becomes a transformer, taking out 2 giant-size SIG and feeding everyone with bullets like Rambo...." along with a half-baked explanation like "it was the will of Merry's spirit" or something like that, we should call it good writing? i think not...

There ARE certain limits on writing... when you write a story you build the world around it, and that world has got to have certain limits to it... yes, as the writer you get to determine what those limits are, but you must give your audience some idea of what those limits are... the moment you go beyond those limits it starts becoming poor writing... so far, the concept of Merry being at enies lobby after everything we saw in water 7 seems damn impossible... reads more like a plot device... quite frankly, seems like wheather or not he planned it the impression is all the same... and yes, it's true we should give oda a chance to explain himself... but he's gonna need a damn good explaination to get this one by...

Merry had a very nice build up towards it's death, and the drama around it was great, this was followed by a rather convinicing "death"... the least Oda could have done was left out the convining death there... actually thinking about it, what i think might have been nice, would have been the strawhats not taking the rocket man to enies lobby, but finding a reason for them to use Merry; kind of a "one last ride" kind of deal... grant it ofcourse there would need to be some rewrites and what not in water 7 to help lead to that, but Oda could have easily accomplished it with good foresight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
Anyway, this was just a wonderful heart-pounding chapter, albeit a bit chaotic. Maybe now all the people who bashed Usopp for fighting over Merry can finally shut up for good now. Instead they'll find other things, but oh well. XD
bah, a curse upon those poeple... ussop's fighting over Merry is one of the main things that made the emotion and drama over the merry's death so damn great... man if if weren't for ussop, that senerio probably wouldn't have been half as good

Quote:
I'm kinda glad she returned, if only to be put to rest in the next few chapters. Merry really is the only one who can reconcile Luffy and Usopp.
True, i will give you that much
Old 2006-09-22, 21:06   Link #38
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
So... if he 'planned' for Merry, as Chucky said, "becomes a transformer, taking out 2 giant-size SIG and feeding everyone with bullets like Rambo...." along with a half-baked explanation like "it was the will of Merry's spirit" or something like that, we should call it good writing? i think not...
Has that happened? No.

Quote:
There ARE certain limits on writing... when you write a story you build the world around it, and that world has got to have certain limits to it... yes, as the writer you get to determine what those limits are, but you must give your audience some idea of what those limits are... the moment you go beyond those limits it starts becoming poor writing... so far, the concept of Merry being at enies lobby after everything we saw in water 7 seems damn impossible...
Devil fruits. Do you actually think they have an actual scientific explaination behind them? Do you really think someone can reach a 'sky island'? What exactly are these limitations that you talk of?

Quote:
reads more like a plot device... quite frankly, seems like wheather or not he planned it the impression is all the same... and yes, it's true we should give oda a chance to explain himself... but he's gonna need a damn good explaination to get this one by...
Well then lets hear what he has to say then.

Quote:
Merry had a very nice build up towards it's death, and the drama around it was great, this was followed by a rather convinicing "death"...
I don't think so. The supposed 'death' was Merry falling off a cliff with only one strawhat present. The fact that Luffy never found out about the K-mann, and the fact that we never actually saw the wreckage of the Merry made it pretty obvious that she was going to show up sooner or later.

Quote:
the least Oda could have done was left out the convining death there...
Perhaps he was planning ahead so that it would be a suprise when Merry showed up.

Quote:
actually thinking about it, what i think might have been nice, would have been the strawhats not taking the rocket man to enies lobby, but finding a reason for them to use Merry; kind of a "one last ride" kind of deal... grant it ofcourse there would need to be some rewrites and what not in water 7 to help lead to that, but Oda could have easily accomplished it with good foresight
I don't think so. Zoro even said it himself 'we can never return to this ship again.' And even if they had taken the GM to ES then that would have ment no Sogeking, no T-Bone, no Sodom/Gemorrah, etc.

Would it kill you to lay off the ellipses...? =3=
Old 2006-09-23, 15:04   Link #39
DrFuko

The hell if the story I told about is really true. Its just stuck at that... a myth, since there is no way to prove what he saw (since there were no pictures). The source is an old urban myth book from the 70s called "The Strangest Pirates," which I would read a whole lot when I was little.

Anyways, true or not, I totally disagree that there was no foreshadowing to this. Come on... we never saw the ship destroyed when it was almost literally flushed out... or the whole kaboot about the ship having a soul in the first place? Think about it... if the ship is a crewmember, then it just has to do something like a regular crew member. That is, to go down for one last miraculous shot when it is down for the count. Its a regular One-Piece-and-hell-95%-of-all-mangas strategy.

Hell, that whole rainbow mist arc seems to have a whole lot more B.S. than Merry showing up NOW.

It doesnt really take Nostradamus to foreshadow that the ship would eventually show up and save them. I mean, coming INTO Enies Lobby, the Mugiwaras didnt have an escape route in the first place. When they started to think of a way to escape, they talked about stealing a ship... and over and over, we saw ships being easily destroyed. I was even surprised that the ship they wanted to use in the first place wasn't damaged until so late.

Heck, I even directly said that Merry would eventually show up, when we were discussing an earlier chapter.

...I was booed off the stage, however. (meh, I was totally wrong about that stupid pigeon anyways).

In conclusion... seriously man, a broken ship showing up in the middle of where it is last expected is not pulling a nuke out of your ass, specially when you cast a whole bunch of foreshadowing to it.
Old 2006-09-23, 20:02   Link #40
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
i think the most important part of Marry go reappearing isn't the reason for it being there or why she is there .. i think the most important question how did she reach that place !!!?

in water 7 .. they were pretty sure that the ship will sink the next time it will sail in sea, Franky as well confirmed that, and for the ship that was thrown from high place in that weather to even reach Eneis Loby in One piece is miracle ... and i don' think Iceburg is that great to even fix a ship that even franky said it can't be fixed since the main part is quite damage or even make a new ship with the same design since he don't have Marry Blue prints.

well here is the place where merry was drop was near tom's workers ... at that place there was ship graveyard which tom was using and maybe the hidden franky battefleat.
since usops was kidnapped in front of her .. this spirit (forget what franky called it) start repairing the ship ... when the train left water 7 she followed it from far (well with that weather and what sanji did i don't think anyone could have noticed it) and still while following the train she continued to repair itself until she reached enis lubby, then she hide some place and continued repairing until she is neaded. Usops said that he was hearing the sound for quite some time so that mean she didn't appear of nowhere. and i think the marry still didn't finish it repair.

now about how the other will run away, they said they have another way out and i think they have ... in old chapters the marines tried to run away using the sea train but they couldn't run it becasue they didn't have operator. then they got in the marines ships.. i think the franky family and the other are going to use the sea train to run away. (i don't think the Buster call will destroy the sea train since thier are only 1 sea train in the world and they don't know that Iceburg stil alive).

anyway that's what i think
Closed Thread