AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2022-11-04, 16:45   Link #1621
Jaden

I'm personally okay with the amnesty.

Seems to me like all the government pandemic action was done in response to popular demand, and was based on public health theories of the time. If the results are bad, then it's a case of shit goes in-shit comes out.

I guess the only thing I have gripes with is the lab leak theory, especially if it's the case that hybrids of animal and human viruses were created. I see no purpose in such research, and have no idea how it would past the ethics board, but there is still some unrefuted evidence suggesting that may be what was done. And I wouldn't give amnesty for that.
Old 2022-11-04, 17:51   Link #1622
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I can see a few arguments for and against it, I could even be for it in a limited scope. The massive issue than I have against a Pandemic Amnesty is the fact than it will end up as the one in power declaring amnesty on themself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I guess the only thing I have gripes with is the lab leak theory, especially if it's the case that hybrids of animal and human viruses were created. I see no purpose in such research, and have no idea how it would past the ethics board, but there is still some unrefuted evidence suggesting that may be what was done. And I wouldn't give amnesty for that.
Are you talking about Gain in fonction research or something else?
Old 2022-11-05, 10:00   Link #1623
Jaden

"Gain of function" is a big category, and there are many legitimate reasons for doing such research.

The "humanization" of animal viruses with pandemic-causing potential also falls into that category, as well as manipulations that increase the transmissibility and pathogenicity of those viruses. And that's where I would draw the line, yet both types of experiments have been performed with US funding.

Whether this pandemic was due to a lab leak is a seperate question, and will likely remain a conspiracy theory, so I won't dwell on that too much. It's more important to regulate risky virology going forward. And to that end, it'd be nice to see some accountability from the people that authorized such things in the past.
Old 2022-11-14, 00:31   Link #1624
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Been awhile since I posted here or even looked at this thread even though it's been quiet. I had finally left bedside, the hospital, and COVID life mid August. I am finally able to pursue my NP career into palliative and hospice care. The last several weeks before I left my job, COVID has been pretty much on the downlow. Averaging around 5 cases on my unit at the time. Life in nursing and the unit pretty much returned to normal despite the still ever so constant lack of nurses. As the cold season approaches here in southern California, news is already spouting the rise of respiratory cases on the rise (which isobviously expected every year) and some counties are looking to incorporate the mask mandate again. Fortunately for me, I'll be a bit further away from the that craziness. I did my time. Time for me to move on, experience something new, and focus on myself, friends, and family.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-20, 10:55   Link #1625
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Old man told me that the fam would just go on vacation in HK since they made entry requirements less strict.

I told him I don't know since it's because of the need for a RAT test and showing a green QR code. Even at that, there's 7 days of (quasi) quarantine.

He did say that we can just go out and get food and bring it back to the hotel or order room service (Well he is paying anyway....). This includes self-monitoring and checking in with the HKSAR government after doing RAT tests daily.

Even with him saying that it's worth it, it's still too much for me IMO. I've got nothing to gain from visiting HK (never mind what happened in '19 since it's a whole different discussion). Also, it's too much hassle. I don't think I can do anything to convince my dad to not go there since he "needed" to do things there and he wants to spend time since I'm doing my Masters.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-28, 07:32   Link #1626
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Been growing protests because of the lockdowns in China. Supposedly contributed to an apartment fire in Xinjiang since local fire engines were not able to get close enough. Blame's being passed away.

Sympathy protests by mainland Chinese expats in HK are accosted by HKPF officers.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2022-12-10, 16:26   Link #1627
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Cases in Mexico of the new “Hellhound” coronavirus variant are confirmed

https://www.sandiegored.com/en/news/...-are-confirmed

Coming soon to a theater (and other enclosed spaces) near you!
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-22, 08:39   Link #1628
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

If reports on the grounds in China are current, the relaxation of anti-COVID-19 quarantine policies have resulted in a big rise of cases.

Old 2022-12-22, 10:18   Link #1629
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
If reports on the grounds in China are current, the relaxation of anti-COVID-19 quarantine policies have resulted in a big rise of cases.
The chinese government is either too dumb/lazy to realize that not vaccinating most of the elderly would sooner or later have this outcome or they are playing the long game and want to prune the elderly to rejuvenate their already aging population.
Old 2023-01-01, 02:07   Link #1630
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Chinese state media is not too kind to nations that are enacting restrictions for Chinese travelers.

Old 2023-01-01, 23:50   Link #1631
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
That's literally the only possible outcome of the relaxation that could be predicted
But the civilians wanted it... so... huh

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-02, 02:22   Link #1632
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Meanwhile, pro-Chinese state media in the mainland are criticizing countries that are enacting extra measures for Chinese travelers.

Old 2023-01-02, 10:58   Link #1633
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
That's literally the only possible outcome of the relaxation that could be predicted
But the civilians wanted it... so... huh
I am not so sure about that. I mean, stop giving someone water for a couple of days and they will drink ANYTHING, but I would not say that is what the person really wanted. The chinese government for months limited the mobility of millions, but just after Xi officially extended his term and just as winter is on the doorstep, they abruptly relaxed the measures and the CCP gets to blame the civilian population on top of it!

Quote:
Meanwhile, pro-Chinese state media in the mainland are criticizing countries that are enacting extra measures for Chinese travelers.
As expected, they keep pushing the narrative about the "evil west" that is going out of its way to make the life of the average chinese harder. ATM china is the biggest breeding ground for new covid19 variants and they expect the west to make the same mistake of allowing unrestricted transport of said virus via airplanes all over the world? Do the chinese people really drink the communist party kool.aid and ask for seconds?
Old 2023-01-03, 03:02   Link #1634
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Some news coming out of China is that the Chinese government is now allowing the import of non-Chinese vaccines.

It's a good thing. But there's the concern of who know if the Chinese pharma companies try to study the vaccines and reverse them.

Old 2023-01-03, 21:00   Link #1635
Key Board
Carbon

vaccine patents in an ongoing pandemic is dumb

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-04, 10:53   Link #1636
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

This would be the "stealing the patents" covertly at least. Officially allowing collaboration would be a good thing in my book.

Old 2023-01-04, 12:46   Link #1637
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

From what I remember (I could be wrong), this is just like microchips, they can reverse engineer the vaccine, but the chinese lack the state of the art manufacturing plants to mass produce mRNA vaccines.
Old 2023-01-06, 07:51   Link #1638
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Yep. Their vaccines so far don't do mRNA. Unless the companies involved do a little bit of... information gathering.

Old 2023-01-11, 23:56   Link #1639
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-japanese.html

Tokyo is calling out Beijing for resorting to visa suspensions of Japanese nationals just because Chinese nationals going to Japan need to have proof of being negative for COVID.