AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-27, 06:25   Link #341
LocrEpinS

Err, sorry, i've just finished watching Da Capo, first and second season and am totally hyped ^^. I totally loved the ending, i'm a real fan of the "everyone is happy" type endings.
So.. Can someone fill me into the status of this seemingly off-topic thread? ^^.
Da Capo 2? Well, i'm not the least bit interested in any of those games, just any upcoming animes. But then again, if it doesn't have any ecchi(Fat chance?) and is also in english(Even fatter chance? trying my best to put time aside to learn it, but i'm always procrastinating :$), then why not.
LocrEpinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 07:34   Link #342
KBTKaiser

Put it simply, Date Sim games have a very very slim chance of making it over to American shores. Da Capo itself does have 2 PS2 games that are non-ecchi, but translation for text and finding voice actors to recapture the feeling will be a chore.
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 08:29   Link #343
LocrEpinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser
Put it simply, Date Sim games have a very very slim chance of making it over to American shores. Da Capo itself does have 2 PS2 games that are non-ecchi, but translation for text and finding voice actors to recapture the feeling will be a chore.
Well, i'm completely against dubbing of any japanese anime, and figure it would be much the same for games. Some of those ps2 games seem quite interesting, infact i remember some time back, b4 i was into anime, i got a hold of a game called Cross World(some non-ecchi japanese game). At the time i didn't have any clue as to what it was, so i just installed it and stuffed around in the game. I found that it had really nice music, and that's pretty much where my anime/jpop music craze began. Though the game was fully japanese, all u had to do was click ur way through the game, plus it had some nice minigames. It's relatively unknown to my knowledge. I can't even remember how i obtained it in the first place :$.
Oh btw, what's with Da Capo 2? Does jun'ichi die or something?(If i'm not mistaken. Just quickly read through b4). I mean i'm not a great fan of his(Nemu roks ^^), but i just can't accept characters in any story being "killed-off", it just makes me so furious >.< and sad :'(.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-27, 13:30   Link #344
KBTKaiser

Da Capo 2 takes place some 62 years later after the original. Junichi and Sakura are confirmed mentions/returns. It's a whole new cast of characters for another re-enactment as Sakurai Yoshiyuki finds himself in the same position of Asakura Junichi.
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 13:35   Link #345
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser
Da Capo 2 takes place some 62 years later after the original. Junichi and Sakura are confirmed mentions/returns. It's a whole new cast of characters for another re-enactment as Sakurai Yoshiyuki finds himself in the same position of Asakura Junichi.
53, isn't it? But yeah... I have to say that I'm pretty hyped about the new game and it's anime potential; based on the demo and what we know of the story, there just seem to be a lot more opportunities for interaction between the characters, and that should play out especially well in the anime, whenever it eventually comes. The demo plays a lot more like the Drama CDs than the original game did.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 14:23   Link #346
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Regarding DCII, one thing:

Otome = <3
Old 2006-04-27, 15:08   Link #347
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST
Otome = <3
LOL - falling for Nemu's granddaughter are we... (It's just so weird!) That being said, I have to say from the demo that I quite liked all the characters. I also liked the way they played with 3D space a bit more this time - characters walk away from you, towards you, are closer and farther in "perspective" and so on - it's just a more dynamic visual novel in that way. OP looks really great, and I liked the voices. Plus, the backend uses the exact same script system as D.C.P.C. (etc.), so......

Anyway, the discussion is going to keep shifting... should we create a new thread for the game? Maybe, if someone creates a thread, a mod can move the game-related posts there?
Old 2006-04-27, 16:27   Link #348
LocrEpinS

Wow, so that's how it is. I guess i'll be waiting anxiously for this anime then.'gonna be so cool to be able to see what has happened in the years that have past. I wonder when it'll be out, well, at any rate, hope it's as good/better than it's predecessor.
Old 2006-04-27, 16:46   Link #349
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Anyway, the discussion is going to keep shifting... should we create a new thread for the game? Maybe, if someone creates a thread, a mod can move the game-related posts there?
Replying to myself but... Finally de-lazified myself and created the thread here. So, maybe a mod can do some merging if they see fit, but otherwise we can keep discussing the new game in there.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2006-04-27 at 16:57.
Old 2006-05-06, 14:34   Link #350
roguenoir
Rogue Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furudanuki
The parental issue was bandied about quite a bit in another forum during the first season. As I recall, the technicalities involved under Japanese law went something like this: Nemu was legally adopted by the Asakura family. This made her Jun'ichi's sister in the eyes of the law, and therefore they could not legally marry regardless of their actual blood relationship. However, with the consent of all parties involved, the adoption could be rescinded (not a quick or easy process, but supposedly it can be done). Once this process is complete, then in the eyes of the law Nemu is no longer related to Jun'ichi in any way and they are free to marry if they choose. So if Nemu and Jun'ichi were married we can only assume that the adoption is no longer legally in force, which could not have happened without the consent and approval of Jun'ichi's parents.

Needless to say, I am not an expert on the Japanese legal system, so if anyone has contradictory or clarifying information about this please pass it on!

Edit: for spelling
My theory

Spoiler:
roguenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-06, 22:18   Link #351
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Did anyone here besides me watch those little omake skits of DCSS? The ones they did with puppetry and simple animation with the VA voicing over?

I really like the fourth one, really really funny, hilarious to see Tamaki go completely nuts.
Old 2006-05-06, 22:21   Link #352
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah, i've been watching the Omake's - its good that the Da Capo spirit lives on.

I really couldn't say which one's my fav' - each one of them as a great story. ^^;;

Last edited by Shiroth; 2006-05-06 at 22:32.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 17:25   Link #353
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, finally finished both seasons, and here it is.

YES, I LIKED NEMU

And yes, I liked both seasons. The endings made me feel warm inside, although the second was a bit... well... somewhat bitter.

Anyway, I can't understand where the hate for Nemu stems from. I mean... Damn, I wish I had a girlfriend like Nemu. Having said that, all girls in DC/DCSS were like my dreams come true. I could pick ANY girl and still be happy. Ok, I'll admit Aisia and Kotori made the greatest impression to me, and the new wiser Sakura was also pretty good, not to mention Moe... always a favorite. But other than that, DC was pretty much the story of a specific couple. They were meant for each other. I mean, I got angry with Juni some points, but I never felt Nemu did something wrong. Sure I sympathized with Kotori (damn, I sympathized with everyone in this anime), but Nemu and Juni were meant for each other from the very first DC episode.

Well, you can call me a Nemu fanboy, for all I care. I just liked every girl, but I still think that any hate towards Nemu is baseless.

Although just how happy can the other girls be is beyond my comprehension. It's also beyond my comprehension how Sakura managed to kill the tree in the first DC.

Oh well... If I have a really favorite character though... I'd say it's probably Aisia, with Kotori pretty close. I just loved her blind idealism. But Nemu was certainly not bad at all. If they told me I could only have Nemu, no one will ever hear me complain

Ah... well... Aisia rules

Just for the record, I'm an anime-only watcher.
Old 2006-05-22, 17:32   Link #354
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Oh well... If I have a really favorite character though... I'd say it's probably Aisia, with Kotori pretty close. I just loved her blind idealism. But Nemu was certainly not bad at all. If they told me I could only have Nemu, no one will ever hear me complain

I agree with oyu there. But wouldn't seeing Kotori go seed on Nemu be a lot of fun She is way too nice. She needs a boxcutter.
Old 2006-05-22, 17:35   Link #355
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

No character in the Da Capo series needed a boxcutter.
Old 2006-05-22, 17:35   Link #356
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
I don't think that many people dislike Nemu, she seems to have as many fans as haters.

Her popularity dropped though, in the latest polls, from what I've seen...
Old 2006-05-22, 19:19   Link #357
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I think a lot of the "Nemu hate" comes from the fact that Kotori suffered as an indirect result of Nemu's return. It's one of those "it's *your* fault that I'm like this!" sort of things. Some probably imagine that "if only Nemu had just stayed away, Kotori could have stayed happy". Of course, that's in complete opposition to the whole "unrequited love = suffering" theme of both Da Capo anime series (Rhetorical question: Was Kotori really happy with the way things were in episode 1? For the answer, watch the episode again. See also Episode 25, and the first D.C.S.S. Drama CD.). There's also the whole "if she loved him so much, why did she run away in the first place?" angle, which the show also addressed (to a degree). All in all, I think it's, at least in part, a backlash to the fact that Nemu was the "destined girl" from the very start, and the anime never took steps to change that (as Xellos-_^ pointed out, some were hoping for the proverbial "boxcutter"). Compound that with the fact that Nemu's got a bit of an attitude even though she 'got the guy' (compared to an "angel" like Kotori), and there's the hate train forming...

I have to also say, though, I still think it all fit in to the goals of the show. The "bittersweet" resolution is exactly what the show was about - and some people tasted the "bitter" part right away. All in all, though, I thought the sequel really built on the overall theme, and proved a worthy companion piece to the first season. I'm looking forward to seeing how they continue to build on that theme in the new game (and inevitable anime adaptation).
Old 2006-05-22, 19:25   Link #358
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing how they continue to build on that theme in the new game (and inevitable anime adaptation).
I can just see it not becoming an anime, and thus our lifes shall be over. ;_;

You've pretty much nailed - when it comes to the female cast of the Da Capo series, Nemu's probably the main one people go for.. maybe its just the fact that she's in love with her brother that does it for everyone.. ^^;

She's a sweet character, and she does deserve all this fan-love - but imo each female character from the series also should be allowed to have the same.
Old 2006-05-22, 20:42   Link #359
Furudanuki

Quote:
Compound that with the fact that Nemu's got a bit of an attitude even though she 'got the guy' (compared to an "angel" like Kotori), and there's the hate train forming...
I think your post has summed up this subject up pretty well. Just wanted to add that for me at least, that "bit of an attitude" that Nemu has makes her all the more interesting as a person. Maybe it is an attraction along the same lines of "Taming of the Shrew", but in this case I personally found it to be more of a plus than a minus.

But no matter how many times I see it happen, I still find it puzzling how many people who watch this type of a series will actively dislike one of the girls just because they really like one of the others. I can understand having favorites, and wanting them to be happy and get what they want in the end, because I certainly do that. I can also understand disliking a character because of their traits or behavior - Nemu's "attitude" and jealousy for example - but the idea that "I like Girl A, therefore I hate Girl B" is really foreign to me. And when it takes the form of "it is the law: everyone who likes Girl A must also hate Girl B", I find it to be foreign and extremely annoying to boot. Maybe I'm the odd duck for feeling this way, but the fact that I found Nemu to be my personal favorite did not make me dislike Kotori or any of the other girls from D.C. or D.C.S.S. I happen to adore Nerine from Shuffle!, but that does not force me to trash the other four girls, nor would doing so make Nerine look any better. And in Canvas 2 I did not feel any animosity for Kiri or Elis because Hagino was my favorite character (and she was never even a serious contender, for heaven's sake). Just my opinion and outlook on life as reflected in romance and/or harem anime - everyone may feel free to consider it to be as profound or as moronic as you see fit...
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-22, 21:33   Link #360
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
But no matter how many times I see it happen, I still find it puzzling how many people who watch this type of a series will actively dislike one of the girls just because they really like one of the others.
You're definitely not alone, and not an odd duck for feeling that way - at least, if you are, then I'll join you. The whole "character fanboy" factor seems like a relatively new invention to me. Obviously, there were "Kotori-chan moe~" and "Nemu-chan moe~" fans during the first season too, but I don't ever remember it being as bad as it seems now. I personally think that, at least to a certain degree, it's a game people are playing to try to rile people up - it's certain that there are a lot of people here for the "entertainment" value, rather than actual discussion. Best way of quenching actual discussion, learning and change (opinions, perspective, etc.) is by practicing and encouraging hatred and blind fanboyism. I keep hoping that people will grow out of it at some point; nothing's that black-and-white.

(Note: I'm *not* saying that liking one girl over the other makes you a blind fanboy, but hating and spreading hate for another character in the name of promoting your own favourite character is just... silly (in my opinion, of course).)

Quote:
Just wanted to add that for me at least, that "bit of an attitude" that Nemu has makes her all the more interesting as a person. Maybe it is an attraction along the same lines of "Taming of the Shrew", but in this case I personally found it to be more of a plus than a minus.
Oh, definitely! I'm not sure if this is the right way of putting it or not, but that jealous side just shows how strong Nemu's feelings are for Junichi. I definitely see it as a sign of affection and, coupled with the realization/understanding of just how weak Nemu really is (both emotionally and physically, as shown in both seasons), I do find it rather endearing. It's no wonder (to me) that Junichi would want to protect her forever. Although, as I said before, the ending was bittersweet in a lot of ways, I never once felt it was anything but the right way for the series to end.

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, romance, school life, seinen