AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-12-31, 14:30   Link #1
PyTom

MoéMash - Moé Elo Rating Tournament

Yesterday, I was bored, so I put together MoéMash, a Moé Elo Rating tournament.

http://www.moemash.com

MoéMash complements the existing moe tournaments by being different from them in several ways. Most of the existing tournaments use some sort of elimination system, similar to the way football playoffs occur.

MoéMash works in a different way from these. It generates random matches between pairs of characters (it's limited to female anime characters). When a character wins, she gains a number of points - the amount of points gained is based on the difference between her rating and the other character's rating. A character that is far ahead will only gain a small number of points, while a character that wins in an upset will be more richly rewarded.

This is the system that is used to rate chess players. If you saw the movie The Social Network, it's the system that was used to power Facemash.

When you go to the site, you'll be presented with the current leaderboard. You can then click "vote", log in, and you'll be able to start voting. Everything is updated in realitime, so you should be able to see your vote making a difference.

I seeded the site with character from the Saimoe 2010 tournament, and images taken from (http://www.animesaimoe.org). You can add new characters and images by clicking on the "Add a Character" link at the bottom of each page. Since this isn't an elimination tournament, there's no limit to the number of characters that can participate.

Anyway, that's about it. I'm interested in what people think and if their are any problems or bug reports. I'd be grateful if people add their favorite characters to the mix, so the contest becomes more representative.

And, of course, I'm curious as to the outcome.
PyTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 15:46   Link #2
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Interesting, well it must work somewhat since Azu-nyan is #1 right now
Old 2010-12-31, 17:25   Link #3
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

I would vote, but... why do you need a *Google* account for that!?
That's just plain stupid! I certainly won't touch any Google junk
Old 2010-12-31, 17:57   Link #4
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Current rankings
Name Series Rating
Nakano Azusa K-On! 1728
Nagato Yuki Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu 1710
Yuno Hidamari Sketch 1683
Miyako Hidamari Sketch 1660
Tachibana Kanade Angel Beats 1651
Akiyama Mio K-On! 1632
Amae Koromo Saki 1631
Misaka Mikoto To Aru Kagaku no Railgun 1627
Saten Ruiko To Aru Kagaku no Railgun 1626
Hirasawa Yui K-On! 1611
Evangeline A K McDowell Negima 1611
Tainaka Ritsu K-On! 1609
Miyanaga Saki Saki 1606
Saginomiya Isumi Hayate no Gotoku 1605
Touyoko Momoko Saki 1603
Old 2010-12-31, 18:06   Link #5
Kagayaki

Ooh, very nice! It seems well made and thought out. Is there a framework for these sorts of things, or did you just roll from scratch? Good job either way. AS needs more random programming projects
Old 2010-12-31, 18:19   Link #6
PyTom

Himeji >>> The original idea was to try to prevent cheating by requiring people to register with a trusted third party. (I guess that doesn't work if you don't trust the third party, though.)

I've removed the registration requirement, as I think I have a solution that will work nearly as well without it. Also, I think I'll avoid looking too hard at cheating until it actually becomes a problem.

Kagayaki >>> This is written on top of app engine, using the flask micro-framework. But everything specific to the problem was written by yours truly.
Old 2010-12-31, 19:27   Link #7
Zeroryoko1974

Yuki Nagato has overtaken Azu-nyan, and the Strike Witches are invading the top ten
Old 2010-12-31, 20:22   Link #8
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyTom View Post
Himeji >>> The original idea was to try to prevent cheating by requiring people to register with a trusted third party. (I guess that doesn't work if you don't trust the third party, though.)

I've removed the registration requirement, as I think I have a solution that will work nearly as well without it. Also, I think I'll avoid looking too hard at cheating until it actually becomes a problem.
Thanks
Voting now.

edit:
Interesting results
Mikoto has now railgunned her way to place 2, and Yuki is still 1st place.
With Saten, another Railgun char is now on place five, and natually, K-On has a very strong presence (Yui: 4, Azu-nyan: 6, Mio: 8, Ritsu: 9).

Last edited by Himeji; 2010-12-31 at 20:35.
Himeji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 23:12   Link #9
Ash Falls Town

Just as a heads up
You've got Nagisa as a CLANNAD character while Ryou and Kyou are considered Clannad characters.

Also Katsura Hinagiku has Hayate no Gotoku! as her series name. None of the other Hayate characters have an exclamation point at the end of their series name.
It's kind of easy to see stuff like this now but It'll be harder to keep track of the more characters there are.
Regardless I'm not sure how successful you're going to be but good luck.
Old 2010-12-31, 23:57   Link #10
PyTom

Fixed Ash's comments. Thanks for mentioning them.

I have to say, it's been a real roller-coaster of a day, especially for the K-On! girls, who are now all towards the bottom of the rankings. A few days from now, I'll analyze the data to figure out what's going on are the votes coming from one person or a bunch of people.

I think the k-constant is too high - I have it at 32, which means that if a high-ranked character is defeated by a low-ranked one, the characters exchange 32 points. 32 is appropriate if ratings are infrequent - but they're not. (6000+ votes already.)

I think it might make sense to have it so that a character appears at most once per day per person. Right now, a person can rank each character once for each possible opponent - so a single person can cause quite a bit of mayhem.

I had originally expected people to come in, give a couple of votes, and then leave to come back another day - that's not what's happening, I think.
Old 2011-01-01, 14:57   Link #11
PyTom

I've made the changes listed above. This required a reset of the rankings - something I hope not to do anymore. Knock on wood.
Old 2011-01-03, 16:37   Link #12
Zeroryoko1974

Some interesting matchups come up at times. Mikan (To Luv Ru) vs Nanoha, CCS vs Yuki Nagato.
Old 2011-01-03, 16:46   Link #13
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Some things to be corrected:

Haruhi is listed as "Haruhi Suzumiya" instead of "Suzumiya Haruhi", even though it says Japanese name order on the "Add" page.

Elsie's name (from Kami nomi) is wrongly spelled as "Elsea". The proper spelling of "Elsie" is given on the official page:
http://kaminomi.jp/cd/index.html
Old 2011-01-03, 17:19   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
I would vote, but... why do you need a *Google* account for that!?
That's just plain stupid! I certainly won't touch any Google junk
My "data mining in progress" alarm always dings a little bell when it says "sharing with..." or "need an account..." or "just a few question, first"

but...really, if you're that anti-google, you should be pretty much anti any service and do it all yourself in your own domain. Hotmail, Yahoo, Facebook, blogs on Big-server-com, and any other free service are also data miners. And no... the "cloud" idea as its being marketed doesn't impress me as a techie.
Old 2011-01-04, 06:51   Link #15
Zeroryoko1974

Saten, and Uiharu come out of nowhere to take the top two spots
Old 2011-01-04, 09:55   Link #16
PyTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
Saten, and Uiharu come out of nowhere to take the top two spots
I'm actually a little surprised by how bunched up the leaderboard is. It's still at the point where a single vote can swap #1 and #2.
Old 2011-01-04, 11:31   Link #17
Zeroryoko1974

I don't get how the points work. Yuki is tied with the book worm from TWGOK, despite having 7 more wins, and the same amount of losses. Tenshi is 5 pts behind Yuki with the same record. Oh, the whole cast of Love Hina is in there now.

Last edited by Zeroryoko1974; 2011-01-04 at 11:42.
Zeroryoko1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 14:36   Link #18
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

As with the chess ELO system, the number of points you get and lose with each match is largely dependent on the corresponding ELO rating of your opponent.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 15:23   Link #19
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

No one character can retain the #1 spot because the higher your ranking goes, the harder you fall once someone votes against you. Not to mention you also receive far fewer points with each vote for.
Old 2011-01-04, 16:26   Link #20
Zeroryoko1974

Yuki has been hovering around the top 5 since I started voting several days ago

Tags
tournament