AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku!! (2nd Season) - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 53 68.83%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 22.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 5.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-22, 08:09   Link #61
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Yeah, I don't mind them going through other arcs developing other characters.

I just want the Athena arc animated at some point. They can't NOT animate it, that would be too cruel.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-06-22, 09:09   Link #62
kaito21

Send a message via MSN to kaito21 Send a message via Yahoo to kaito21
Hina singing cruel angel thesis was awsome and cant wait for the next episode^^ btw cant sakuya-san take hakuou entry exam just like hayate?
Old 2009-06-22, 11:17   Link #63
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito21 View Post
btw cant sakuya-san take hakuou entry exam just like hayate?
They might have some rule where, if you fail, you can't try again. Or if you refuse them, you can't get in again.
Old 2009-06-22, 12:32   Link #64
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

all hina needs to do is "fly me to the moon"
Old 2009-06-22, 13:30   Link #65
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Haha, Hina's singing was awesome. I was expecting them to completely skip it, more so since it was Cruel Angel Thesis, but Hina actually sung it. It had me grinning through that entire scene.

Anyhow, where is my episodic HnG? I don't want cliff hangers in my HnG >.>
Still, Hina's singing took the cake this episode.
Old 2009-06-22, 14:31   Link #66
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
I feel the opposite.

While I found that arc to be interesting and a nice backstory for Hayate, I prefer the series when it's not taking itself seriously, because that's part of the charm of Hayate that I like.
I have to agree, though I may take it farther than qwertyman intended. As much as I love all this second season drama, the reason why I loved Hayate so much was because the first season managed to entertain me with all 52 episodes. Hayate shines when it doesn't take itself seriously, and it manages to perform humor and parody exceptionally well. I won't not watch it when it does get serious, as I do like character development and all to, but I don't know if this season will top the previous one for me until it's all over.
Old 2009-06-22, 14:36   Link #67
Midonin
Last Engage

It's just that so much about this season feels diluted. The narrator's barely making a dent in the proceedings, the comedy's hardly as extreme as it was before. Even little things like the censor bleeps (yes, even censorship can be used for humor) and the episode titles that were outlandish and absurd are gone. Romantic development never bothered me that much in the first season (or for any show, for that matter), and as an ensemble comedy the show was gold. Synergy had a real flair for what they did, and except for a scant few moments, this season feels like just a shadow of the last one.
Old 2009-06-22, 16:36   Link #68
Mentar
Banned

Well, that's the tradeoff. Less craziness and wacky hijinks, more story and character development. I sure know what I prefer (the second half of S1 made me mad), and based on the ratings the show is getting, I'd say J.C.Staff is doing a splendid job. I'm tempted to call it reparation.
Old 2009-06-22, 16:42   Link #69
Midonin
Last Engage

But the craziness was one of the things I liked the best about season one. And "reparation" implies that they did something wrong in the first place, but since the overall goal is entertainment, I don't really see anything that needs to be repaid for. Fun? Parody? A complete willingness to mess with storytelling conventions? I don't consider that anything that needs to be made up for. It's something I greatly respect. And given what the story and character development ultimately ended up being, from my perspective I have to wonder that if what I was going to get was (from my perspective) dull, I neither knew nor really cared that it was apparently missing.

I am one of those in the unusual group of "has not read the source material, yet isn't terribly pleased with the turn of events for this season". I miss my comedy, I really do.
Old 2009-06-22, 16:50   Link #70
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
And "reparation" implies that they did something wrong in the first place
I think the whole Principal & her slave boy who changed size would qualify for that.
Old 2009-06-22, 16:51   Link #71
Midonin
Last Engage

Oh, that. Apparently I'm too oblivious to see problems right in front of me, or never consider them a problem because while I have standards, hell if I know what they are.
Old 2009-06-22, 17:11   Link #72
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I am one of those in the unusual group of "has not read the source material, yet isn't terribly pleased with the turn of events for this season". I miss my comedy, I really do.
Well, I don't blame you, and in fact I can see where you're coming from, honest ^_^;

Unfortunately for me, I did know the source material. I did know that there was alot of material which made me develop some real affections for most of the characters. And I did have my hopes to see these affections realized dashed time and time again. Instead, I saw the manga characters I cared for reduced to clownish 2-dimensional caricatures doing crazy pointless stuff. Again and again and again. To be honest, once I realized that we wouldn't see the stuff I was longing for (Sports festival, Valentine Day, Lost Kitten, Birthday), the clownish eps (particularly the anime-original ones) felt like SynergySP was mocking me.

Maybe it's because I don't quite understand why references to other animes are supposed to be so terribly funny. And why bleeping things out is so cool. Intellectually I do understand that people obviously really dig this stuff, and I guess if I hadn't known what we were missing in S1, I might have enjoyed the second half more. Alas...

So, for _me_ it indeed is a reparation ^_^;
Old 2009-06-22, 17:20   Link #73
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
felt like SynergySP was mocking me.
Don't take it so personally. There's no grand conspiracy in any animation company to spite anybody. Though given the reactions of many fans many times across many boards in many countries, everything they don't like was made solely to spite them. Which ultimately ends up being a lot more troublesome.

Irrational Anger at Vague Concepts never ends well.

As for what it made it work for me, it was the whole universe of the show, the aesthetics of it and the way it was set up. It was a universe that ran on nonsense. My favorite kind of universe.
Old 2009-06-22, 17:35   Link #74
Mentar
Banned

You don't really believe that I might think SynergySP would be doing this intentionally to piss off the fans like me, do you?

No, I blame it on the TV slot. Obviously they stripped the more "serious" romance parts out and emphasized the cartoonish comedy instead. However, the _effect_ was unpleasant for the romance fans like me. Yay to J.C.Staff for righting the wrongs!
Old 2009-06-22, 19:23   Link #75
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

I can understand completely where Mentar is coming from, as I've been there done that. Reading the source material has its ups and downs, and I was equally disappointed when I found out BONES ruined some of my most favorite moments from Soul Eater by... not including them at all and replacing them with their less than stellar hijinks. I was one of the few people who went in to Hayate completely blind, and thus formed this stigma in my head that this is what the show was a bout and enjoyed every minute of it. I didn't even a dramatic romance side of this show existed, and while I don't dislike it by any means, I just got to used to the crazy personalities and kookiness of the characters. I don't mind Ayumu getting in touch with her romantic side, but it just doesn't feel the same to me when she isn't seen eating something every episode.

Regardless, both SynergySP and J.C. Staff have both shown that they could do marvelous work with this great series, so kudos to both of them.
Old 2009-06-22, 20:04   Link #76
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

SOLUTION: SynergySP and J.C. Staff should just run simultaneous runs of a Hayate no Gotoku season; SynergySP doing the comedy stuff, and J.C. Staff doing the actual plot stuff. Not only will everyone be appeased, but it'll be a 2x dose of Hayate each week.

Win/win right?
Old 2009-06-22, 20:30   Link #77
Master Chibi

Wait, you guys are complaining about the fact that the show decided to follow the manga and actually flesh out it's characters outside of some yuppy otaku fodder that oversaturated the first season?

Having started with this series in its manga form and then watching the anime, at first I grew to love it being brought to life, but then characters became little more then a throw in to an episode just to get a two second laugh for anyone who managed to catch the reference from a show that was aired close to 20 years ago. Regardless of whether or not it was uncharacteristic on top of it all. Sure someone like Ayumu is going to run around with her arms out yelling "Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin" like it fits her personality (good luck figuring out what that was an homage to).

The cast is too large and connected well to be thrown away for something like that, which is why I'm enjoying this second season so much more. I almost didn't even bother because I thought it was more of the same from the first season, but found out it was quite the opposite.

I mean the show is still very playful and darting back and forth between the forth wall, but downplaying the shenanigans from season one is a very good thing, and much better for the series overall.

Old 2009-06-22, 20:50   Link #78
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Having started with this series in its manga form and then watching the anime, at first I grew to love it being brought to life, but then characters became little more then a throw in to an episode just to get a two second laugh for anyone who managed to catch the reference from a show that was aired close to 20 years ago. Regardless of whether or not it was uncharacteristic on top of it all. Sure someone like Ayumu is going to run around with her arms out yelling "Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin" like it fits her personality (good luck figuring out what that was an homage to).
Those (read: pretty much everyone who picked up this show) who've read through the source material are obviously not going to enjoy the first season and much as the second. When you're going into it for the firs time ever, and the series manages to entertain you, you're going to see it the opposite. I'm all for the fleshing out of characters, but that's not exactly what hooked me to the series in the first place, so making the gradual change to the turn the second season took is a slow and bumpy one. Like I said, in due time I could quite possibly love the second season much more than I did the first... who knows at this point?
Old 2009-06-22, 21:21   Link #79
Master Chibi

Yeah but some people are saying the second season is 'diluted', or even not as good as the first season? That's not right.

I mean really, how is the second season's direction a bad thing?

Sure it's a personal choice on the matter, but you'll get so much more out of this second season then you ever did the first.

Old 2009-06-22, 22:07   Link #80
dark-kyon

very good ep.
the best.
-segawa izumi part
- hina sing cruel thesis.
- nagi show what deserve has hayate how butler.
- hayate cosplay.
the regular
-the form of think of hina.
-the narrator is missing.
-the next ep seem predictable,bad preview.

Last edited by dark-kyon; 2009-06-23 at 01:08.
Closed Thread