AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-10-05, 01:42   Link #1081
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
But he already said he's not going to leave her alone again and kiss her ass for the rest of his pathetic lap-dog's life.
really? Ugh, that sounds like total bs . Well, things can change, he might change. There's only so much you can do with the "do everything better than everyone else" motif. Focus is going to HAVE to shift to Zen, else I can't see this manga lasting more than another 6 months, give or take.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 06:41   Link #1082
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
really? Ugh, that sounds like total bs . Well, things can change, he might change. There's only so much you can do with the "do everything better than everyone else" motif. Focus is going to HAVE to shift to Zen, else I can't see this manga lasting more than another 6 months, give or take.
I would not take those words too seriously. It is obvious that author is not following his own story, so Zen may forget these words in the next chapter and randomly run away or something.

I mean Zen implies about Medaka being left alone before despite we have been told that he was always with her since childhood and we have never seen him or bishie or lesbo actually leave Medaka's side for good either.

Or maybe they have in mind that when Medaka goes to toilet or to take bath she suffers badly because she is 'left alone' by them or something?
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 07:16   Link #1083
Sol Falling

Loneliness is an emotional state, not a physical or social one. It's still possible to feel alone despite having all the friends in the world, y'know.

I haven't read the chapter, so I have no clue what triggers Medaka's loneliness specifically. I also have no reason to believe yet that Zenkichi's declarations of 'not letting Medaka be alone' actually mean anything, that he's realized something fundamental about her. But it's clear as all hell that if Nishio Ishin is portraying Medaka as alone, then it's at a deeper emotional level than simply having some childhood friend of habit or convenience.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 09:01   Link #1084
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
My ridiculous theory to go along with this ridiculous manga...

Shiranui's loli body is not her real body. She's using some form of high level transformation magic to disguise herself. That's why she eats such large amounts of food to keep up her guise. Tiring of her situation she reverts back to her old form.(see below)

She snags Zenkichi away from Medaka and starts a reign of terror against the Student Council...muwahahahahaha

Spoiler:
I'll pick this manga again if it's come true, but it's must happen next chapter before this awful manga get axed
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 10:01   Link #1085
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Loneliness is an emotional state, not a physical or social one. It's still possible to feel alone despite having all the friends in the world, y'know.

I haven't read the chapter, so I have no clue what triggers Medaka's loneliness specifically. I also have no reason to believe yet that Zenkichi's declarations of 'not letting Medaka be alone' actually mean anything, that he's realized something fundamental about her. But it's clear as all hell that if Nishio Ishin is portraying Medaka as alone, then it's at a deeper emotional level than simply having some childhood friend of habit or convenience.
I'd take emotional lonliness. The problem is that NisiOisiN hasn't established that yet or even given us a reason to believe that. Medaka never gives off an aura of being alone and in the latest chapter, there's no indication of it, except for a few speculative words from Unzen. I've never read Haruhi, but from the little I do know, the author shows her isolated from everyone else before Kyon enters her life. We haven't even had a hint of that with Medaka-- with Kikaijima, yes, but not Medaka. If he adds it in later and retcons it, well, then right now he's kind of putting the cart before the horse.

Plus, I still doubt we'll see the council get a bigger role (or even a training arc), as we still don't have a VP. So the next 20 chapters will probably be dedicated to that.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-10-05 at 11:36.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 11:54   Link #1086
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post

They did not talk about loneliness. They are talking about being alone. Are you able to tell the difference? It seems more about physical state here rather than emotional.

If its emotional though, then it should be more... well emotional. In manga it is better to show, not just tell, because so far we have seen nothing of her emotional loneliness, thus whole Zens declaring lacks strength and seems weird and out of place. It lacks emotions one could relate to, so for me it looks more as if its about physical state. If its really about emotional state then this scene is done badly (or should I say whole set up is bad).

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-10-05 at 19:55.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 14:00   Link #1087
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
They did not talk about loneliness. They are talking about being alone. Are you able to tell the difference? It seems more about physical state here rather than emotional.

If its emotional though, then it should be more... well emotional. In manga it is better to show, not just tell, because so far we have seen nothing of her emotional loneliness, thus whole Zens declaring lacks strength and seems weird and out of place. It lacks emotions one could relate to, so for me it looks more as if its about physical state. If its really about emotional state the this scene is done badly (or should I say whole set up is bad).
You know, from my perspective I've seen Zenkichi as the author that try to defend his manga by make Meda-bitch as attractive as he can, by describing "never seen quality" of Meda-bitch to all people so people will start to like Meda-bitch in the hope this manga not axed for it's low rating

Now even Zenkichi have another nick name in my head, Zen-doggy
surerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 19:20   Link #1088
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by surerman View Post
You know, from my perspective I've seen Zenkichi as the author that try to defend his manga by make Meda-bitch as attractive as he can, by describing "never seen quality" of Meda-bitch to all people so people will start to like Meda-bitch in the hope this manga not axed for it's low rating

Now even Zenkichi have another nick name in my head, Zen-doggy
From the oneshot and first few cheapters, who wouldve thought that Medaka would turn out to be one of the most hated heroines in the history of manga. She seemed like a lovable tsundere at first glance... What and where went wrong ?

I wonder how she got 98% approval rating when 80%++ of the manga readers dislike her.
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 23:57   Link #1089
Wrath88
Kissing...

Anyway, if this series goes on, I bet one of the coming arcs will be school against school issue. Or teacher against student issue.
Old 2009-10-05, 23:58   Link #1090
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath88 View Post
Anyway, if this series goes on, I bet one of the coming arcs will be school against school issue. Or teacher against student issue.
I'm expecting a school against school issue, or some kind of element outside of school, seeing as Medaka is pretty much top or will be top once the 13 of class 13 arc is settled.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 03:04   Link #1091
ShiroiRyu

Now this arc is finished, i have one question :
Don't you think the author have Kyoto Animation methods ?
With trolling us a lot ? **
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 03:47   Link #1092
Sol Falling

? How do you mean? Like how all of us were going 'omg if Unzen joins the Student Council, I'll totally drop this shit' and then Medaka actually asked him, only for him to say no? lol I don't think it's as bad as Kyoani, but maybe...I'd only give it a chance of being on purpose if the Japanese fans are also whining about stuff like this.

Hmm, currently I have no idea if there's even going to be a vice president. I was giving Onigase the highest chance, but she's somewhat lost her significance in the story...

Anyway, yeah, I've read the chapter now. It was pretty good. Made me like Unzen even more--the way he understood and empathized with Medaka despite being about to be killed by her--seriously one of the awesomest 10 yr olds I've ever read about. Also, I'm loving Kikaijima's blush as she's saying 'We want to get dragged in with you'. Aww, yuri love is so damn cute.

Anyway, I think we've all come to accept that this is a superhuman semi-battle manga now, eh? From the start we've had a focus on combat sports like Kendo, Judo, and Boxing, and practically every notable character is an athletic genius of some kind. The ridiculous sanctioned violence of the enforcers has also become a bit more believable now that we've learned that the school's director is batshit insane in the first place. Let's all just calmly adjust the boundaries of our suspension of disbelief, realize that this is not going to be some slice-of-school-life romantic comedy, and bail the hell out if that's the only thing you're looking for, you with me guys? I'm pretty confident now that this is what this manga was intended to be from the beginning, so you'll have to look for your 'superhuman perfect genius girl falls in love with an average guy 'cause he's generically loyal to her' romance elsewhere.

As for Medaka's development, it seems I was wrong (and right). My earlier stuff about Medaka hating her own humanity seems to have been off the mark; the real reason Medaka wants to 'help people' is, as Unzen has revealed, because she is a stereotypical lonely girl. Yes, Medaka is emotionally isolated because of her superhuman abilities--she's afraid other people won't accept her, will call her a freak or something, so that's why she tries so hard to do good things and make people love her. Unfortunately, I kinda like my previous explanation better--the lonely guy/girl with superhuman powers is kinda a cliche character archetype--but yes it is now very much clear that Medaka's 'loneliness' has nothing to do with having people in physical proximity.

This manga is alright, people! I was genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed this chapter given all the bashing that's been going on in this thread. Let's cool it down a little.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 04:04   Link #1093
Sakuyakun

This manga is not alright. It's crap :P
Sakuyakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 04:39   Link #1094
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I actually already dropped it this chapter. After reading the RAWs and translation earlier, I just didn't have the heart to read the scanlation (not that there was much point anyway).

The manga went into a completely different direction than I wanted, so I'm done.

The manga will probably end with Medaka ruling over the world with an iron fist, forcing people to love and accept her.
Old 2009-10-06, 05:04   Link #1095
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
So any speculation what this "plan" a high school's chairman is thinking of?
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 05:16   Link #1096
Westlo
Lets be reality

Medaka gets out of the bottom 5, sitting one spot above it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom 6
Medaka
Bakuman
Ane Dokii
Kuroko
Akaboshi
Kagijin
Will probably be in the bottom 5 again because Kuroko is getting its 8th color of the year which is more than Mago (3) and Bakuman (5) lol. WSJ is giving Kuroko every chance to succeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
I wonder how she got 98% approval rating when 80%++ of the manga readers dislike her.
AS =! Everyone
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 05:19   Link #1097
Wrath88
Kissing...

Plan by the chairman might be:
1) Transfer in student
2) Show the power of the remainding members of the 13 by holding some event.
Old 2009-10-06, 05:24   Link #1098
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Hm, or interschool competition... (Chrome Shelled Regios anyone? )
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 05:51   Link #1099
FateAnomaly

Probably it will be against the other 12. I wonder if Shiranui is among the 13 though.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 05:55   Link #1100
Arturro

Medaka is a dream girl for any otaku teenager, so I'm not suprised that she has high aproval rating among shounen audience. Most of posters here are 20+ years old, so thanks to our experience we see her as a Meda-bitch. Different point of viev.
Sol Falling is right - Medaka Box is now (or rather since chapter about pool competition) a diffrent type of manga we expected and wanted to read.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council