AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-18, 15:36   Link #781
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
I love fur. I really detest the animal "rights" movement.
I've got nothing against fur. But I do love naked women.
Old 2008-09-20, 00:02   Link #782
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

On the subject of beautiful and powerful women.....

DVDs and gravure picture collection of Yuri Fujikawa, the recently elected Aomori Prefecture Hachinohe City assemblywoman, were released.

She was voted assemblyman with a record breaking vote count, btw.
.....men in Aomori, I tellya.
Old 2008-09-20, 00:09   Link #783
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Er... what's her background? I gather she isn't a media talent turned politician, so I presume these DVDs and gravure books are meant... to boost tourism to Aomori?
Old 2008-09-20, 02:02   Link #784
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'd vote for her. (I wonder if it's going to become a euphemism...)
Old 2008-09-20, 08:45   Link #785
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
MILV

(Mom I'd Like to Vote)

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-09-20, 14:38   Link #786
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

DVDs and gravure picture collection of Yuri Fujikawa, the recently elected Aomori Prefecture Hachinohe City assemblywoman, were released.

We'll know if she's really powerful if she sidekick drops the first assemblyman that tells her to get the tea.

One of my life-defining moments was back in 1983 when I was an engineer in a company that had 3 locations in the US: Sunnyvale, Houston, and Binghamton, NY. The first time our project team leads got together (elements from all 3) was at the home plant in NY. The NY team had about 7 people two of which were female engineers. Their project manager looked at them and said "get the coffee before we start" 0.o

I could see our Houston and Sunnyvale female engineers (who numbered about 40% of our two groups) bristling so I glanced at my friend co-worker, cocked an eyebrow. He and I got up to help their females get the coffee and remarked on how odd it was we didn't have clerical help doing that since we were so expensive ( while glaring at their manager).

Man... there was some post-meeting ranting about "old country" (East Coast) attitudes.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-09-20 at 14:51.
Old 2008-09-20, 14:41   Link #787
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

whatever she is running for i will vote for her
Old 2008-09-21, 12:57   Link #788
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Bitter taste over China baby milk
Quote:
Beijing (Sept 21, 08): China's growing scandal involving milk powder suggests the country is still not able to protect its citizens from tainted food products. Despite many other recent cases involving sub-standard food, inspectors failed to prevent toxic milk powder being fed to children.

Strict laws but poor enforcement appears to be part of the problem. China also seems to have a number of unscrupulous suppliers. Chinese consumers are only too aware of the problems, as they have shown by buying more trusted foreign brands of milk powder.

At the centre of this current scandal is the Sanlu Group, a company based in the city of Shijiazhuang in Hebei province. It has been selling milk powder tainted with the toxic chemical melamine, used in industry to make such things as plastics. This chemical makes the milk powder appear to contain more protein than is actually the case.

So far, three children have died and more than 6,000 have been taken ill after drinking the powdered milk. Nearly 160 have experienced acute kidney failure. All the children who became seriously ill drank milk made with powder produced by Sanlu, according to Chinese health minister Chen Zhu.

But the scandal is not limited to just one company. In a development that will surely worry the government, inspectors have found melamine in milk powder produced by 22 companies — one out of every five suppliers.

In latest reports, a three-year-old Hong Kong girl has been diagnosed with a kidney stone after drinking tainted Chinese milk — the first such case in the territory. It comes two days after Hong Kong recalled contaminated dairy products made by China's Yili dairy company.

Chinese police have arrested 18 people in connection with the scandal.

- BBC
And on a happier note:

World's oldest man celebrates 113th birthday

Quote:
Tokyo (Sept 18, 08): The world's oldest man celebrated his 113th birthday Thursday in southern Japan, telling reporters he wants to live another five years. Mr Tomoji Tanabe, who was born Sept 18, 1895, received birthday gifts, flowers and US$1,000 cash from the mayor of his hometown of Miyakonojo, on Japan's southern island of Kyushu.

The former city land surveyor, who lives with his son and daughter-in-law, is in good health and sticks to the habits that have got him this far. He rises early and reads the newspaper each day, drinks milk every afternoon and eats regular meals. He also avoids alcohol and does not smoke.

Japan has one of the world's longest life expectancies, nearly 86 years for women and 79 years for men, which is often attributed to the country's healthy diet rich in fish and rice. The number of Japanese living past 100 has more than doubled in the last six years, reaching a record high of 36,000 people this year. The country's centenarian ranks are dominated by women, who make up 86 per cent of the total.

Japan's centenarian population is expected to reach nearly one million — the world's largest — by 2050, according to UN projections.

- AP
To all the oyajis on this board, rejoice! You are but mere spring chickens compared to Mr Tanabe.
Old 2008-09-21, 16:49   Link #789
Shin Muhammad
Putting Truth First.
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Shin Muhammad
'Thousands ill' due to China milk: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7628125.stm
Quote:
Nearly 13,000 children in China have been hospitalised due to tainted Chinese milk powder, officials say.

China's health ministry said 104 out of 12,892 babies showed serious symptoms.

Four infants have died after drinking the milk of the Sanlu Group containing the industrial chemical melamine, which could cause urinary problems.

Meanwhile, in Hong Kong, a toddler has been diagnosed with a kidney stone after drinking the powder - the first such case outside mainland China.

A number of Asian and African countries have now banned Chinese dairy imports following the scandal.

Chinese police have arrested 18 people in connection with the scandal.

Premier's pledge

At a regular news briefing in Beijing, officials from the Chinese health ministry said 12,892 infants were currently being treated in hospitals around the country.
They said that 1,579 babies had been treated and discharged, adding that hospitals had checked nearly 40,000 baby patients.

Meanwhile, Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao said that the authorities were doing everything possible to "prevent this happening again, not just with milk products, but with all foods".

In Hong Kong, a three-year-old girl was diagnosed with a kidney stone after drinking Chinese milk powder, the government said.

It said the toddler, who had drunk China's Yili milk every day for 15 months, had not developed kidney disease and had been discharged from hospital.

Melamine was first found in baby milk powder made by the Sanlu Group. In total, melamine has been found in products made by 22 companies, including Yili.

Suppliers are believed to have added melamine, a banned chemical normally used in plastics, to diluted milk to make it appear higher in protein.

The additive is blamed for causing severe renal problems and kidney stones.
In Indonesia we've got enough of refurbished meat, and now milk...

Indonesian Railfans
Old 2008-09-21, 22:45   Link #790
FateAnomaly

Life is like food from China, you never know what you gonna get.
Old 2008-09-21, 23:33   Link #791
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Okay.. time for something Completely Pleasant. Actress and author Aya Sugimoto demonstrates why .... well, at age 40 she'd still get carded. She's doing her anti-fur presentation "rather wear nothing than fur". Improved my day...

Spoiler for NSFW but really, its PG:

Source:
http://www.japantoday.com/category/p...ather-go-naked
Back to Sugimoto-san, I knew I've seen her somewhere before. Turns out that she's the actress for Hone Onna in the RL edition of Jigoku Shojo.
Old 2008-09-22, 01:37   Link #792
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
21C conspirary theories, this is a bit of a fun one.
If i hadn't travelled in various continents and met others who've done around the world trips and crosed the pacific day/time border to go an entire 24hrs back in time again, maybe, just maybe, i might believe this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7540427.stm

on random news
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7627923.stm
hurray for renewable energy
tho seriously, if we had something that was rain powered, we may be able to support the entire country and then some :\

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2008-09-22, 15:56   Link #793
4Tran

Moved posts about the Japanese prime minister to the Japanese Politics thread : http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=70911
Old 2008-09-22, 19:31   Link #794
Ryusiangel

sumthing i saw on the yahoo news today

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aX5gGOvGesPo

so could anybody break it down for me does this mean end of fansubs or such?
Old 2008-09-22, 19:55   Link #795
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

It sounds like they are saying that they dont want anyone to copy a movie or film
that that not allowed too. like if you watch a movie and it says do not copy or sell,
well they don't want you to do that on the internet too.

Quote:
The proposed treaty is the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. The dispute over the accord pits companies like Google, under pressure to crack down on unlicensed distribution of film clips and music videos,

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
Old 2008-09-22, 21:43   Link #796
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its something to keep an eye on... but it has so many unpalatable elements to it for now, that almost all the Fair Use, Consumer Rights, copyright reform, etc groups are already jumping all over it. Seems they were trying to do this agreement back-alley style --- so they lost massive karma points on that basis alone.

Certain groups just want someone else than themselves to foot the bill for chasing down copyright violations -- and they keep trying to tie it in with actual *crime* like "counterfeiting" or "piracy" instead of the civil matter copyright is designed as. Companies like Google and ISPs just want to build roads... not be the police on them.

Slashdot has covered it recently (article, forum rants, and links):
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/19/1142245
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/17/022221

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-09-22 at 22:06.
Old 2008-09-22, 23:58   Link #797
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Internet companies led by Google Inc. joined groups representing Web users in challenging the Bush administration's bid to toughen international enforcement against copyright pirates.
They are not entirely supporting fansubs, but rather enforcing their policy on american movies and other licensed material.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-09-23, 08:58   Link #798
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

sad day...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7630969.stm

the part that struck a chord was this tho...
Quote:
The suspect posted a video of himself firing a gun on the internet last week.

As a result of this, police interviewed him on Monday but decided they did not have enough evidence to revoke his licence, the interior minister said.

The minister, Anne Holmlund, said an investigation would now try to determine whether mistakes were made.
Gee, you think in light of the other finnish gunman who posted on youtube before going on a massacre less than a year ago, that they may wanna be a little cautious bout future peeps...
R.I.P to the students tho...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2008-09-23, 10:00   Link #799
Late
Peelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
sad day...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7630969.stm

the part that struck a chord was this tho...

Gee, you think in light of the other finnish gunman who posted on youtube before going on a massacre less than a year ago, that they may wanna be a little cautious bout future peeps...
R.I.P to the students tho...
They were cautious, that's why he was investigated in the first place. The videos he posted back then were the ones he used the gun on a shooting course. Nothing that would make you think "He's going on a killing spree". They just couldn't take the gun away without really having evidence of something like that. Youtube is full of videos with people firing guns. You just can't think that everyone is a possible murderer. Today morning he added more videos to rapidshare where it was quite clear that something was going to happen and posted the link to youtube.

Some of fins think that he was going to wait until the day the last school shooting incident happened but now that police was on to him he decided to do it today. Sad day for Finland. I live near Jokela, the place where the last incident took place and it was terrible to watch people panic 'cause lots of people had friends at Jokela. Now it just makes you think "why again". :/
Old 2008-09-23, 14:03   Link #800
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Are there many Finnish peeps firing guns and making promises or threats of things they wanna do to people too on youtube? They were right to be suspcious, in light of what happened, and while there wasn't any law to take the gun away (well different culture, since over there it's probably as freely acceptable as the US). They had mentioned that many were into hunting and the rest in Finland so *shrugs*

I'm i right in thinking that the laws won't change or be amended anytime soon then over there...?
(I'm under the entire 'possession will get you in trouble' rules over here, so my attitude on guns are somewhat different.)

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international