Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-06-07, 20:19   Link #2261
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Anyway, the lack of LAN doesnt really bother me that much anymore as I'll end up playing over the internet and private server have tendencies to attract cheaters and idiots.
There's going to be a lan hack don't worry. Who wants to see: "OMG B.net is in maintanence! Ok, the live broadcast/tournament/lanparty is canceled; I know you all (1000 people/players/spectators gathered here for starcraft but everyone please go home... or we could try playing sc1." (lol) Like the fans are going to put up with this crap.
Old 2010-06-07, 20:45   Link #2262
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Uh? 344.88 M profit in 2008 (FY)
I don't know why you are quoting me that quote just supports what I'm saying. They don't make 160 million a month. Their profit for all of 2008 was only 344 million, which is a lot but not anywhere near what gummybear is saying blizz is making.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 21:56   Link #2263
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So lately I've been watching a lot of pro Starcraft matches on nights when there is no Hockey and indeed as someone said a while back to me in the thread it is some fun and exciting stuff to watch once you've learned all the intricacies and strategies that are often employed. I also like how some units just never factor in like the Queen, Firebat, Ghost, Battlecruiser, and Dark Archon. I haven't played the Beta so I'm wondering if they are doing anything to encourage the use of these units in Starcraft 2 a little more.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 22:19   Link #2264
Clarste
Human

Well, first of all half of those units don't exist in SC2. Secondly, there are still some units that are rarely used (BCs, Carriers, and Ultralisks mostly). They've been fiddling with the ultralisk recently, but it's unlikely it'll see use on release. they'll keep patching it afterwards though, so who knows?

Also, there are some semi-pro SC2 tournaments going around, that you can watch matches of if you like.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 22:24   Link #2265
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well for one thing, the Firebat and Dark Archon are no longer in the normal Multiplayer lineup, so they can't count (Firebats are confirmed for singleplayer campaign however).

-The Queen however has been overhauled from a Tier 2 flying harassing caster unit to a Tier 1 walking base support unit that can enhance larvae production, create creep and heal units, making the SC2 Queen indispensable to Zerg strategy: A Zerg Player in SC2 that doesn't build a Queen is bound to lose.

- Ghosts are now much easier to access since they're now a Tier 2 unit, and are not only more effective against infantry via the Snipe ability, they now possess the EMP Shot ability, which is more or less the SC1 Science Vessel's EMP ability. Also, Nukes are now created and housed at Ghost Academies (hence no more need for Command Centers) and require no supply, making nukes a very lucrative option.

- As for Battlecruisers... they're more or less similar to their original, save for the attack animation where they shoot a beam salvo instead of a single laser bolt.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 22:28   Link #2266
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So lately I've been watching a lot of pro Starcraft matches on nights when there is no Hockey and indeed as someone said a while back to me in the thread it is some fun and exciting stuff to watch once you've learned all the intricacies and strategies that are often employed. I also like how some units just never factor in like the Queen, Firebat, Ghost, Battlecruiser, and Dark Archon. I haven't played the Beta so I'm wondering if they are doing anything to encourage the use of these units in Starcraft 2 a little more.
Well, they've changed some of the units around and some of the patches helped to fix the ones that weren't changed.

-Queen is now used for base defense but mostly for her extra larva ability, which goes a long way in terms of macro and army size. No longer flies but can now attack and a bunch of other things.
-They gave the firebat's attack to the Hellion and increased the range and damage. It's practically death on wheels for light units. Very good base raider due to its speed and meatshield for tanks.
-Ghost got a lot of changes, like the Queen. Increased health, attack, new abilities (Snipe/EMP). Ever since the early days of Beta, I've seen Ghosts incorporated into TvP matchups, particularly because of the two earlier abilities. And because of what EMP does (reveals cloaked units, removes shields and energy), Ghosts are being used more and more against Zerg. It also helps that Snipe is particularly useful against Light units, especially some of the base Zerg units like Zerglings, Hydras and Mutas.
-Battlecruisers got reworked attack animation. It's very nice, but again, the cost outweighs the benefits. Stalkers/Void Rays are the Protoss counter, Vikings outrange it by 3 and Zerg have a number of ways to counter it. Only change I've seen to encourage its use is the build time which got lowered to 90 seconds. Would've been more interesting if they retained the two other abilities they gave it in earlier stages of development.
-No Dark Archon. Feedback went to High Templar, Maelstrom was removed and Mind Control is now in the form of Neural Parasite for the Zerg and doesn't have a permanent effect.

Edit:
^Basically what he said.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 22:34   Link #2267
Clarste
Human

The BC got changed a lot actually. Comes out a lot faster (both its build time and the time it takes to tech to one) and does a ton more damage with its new attack which shoots a lot faster. It does about twice as much dps now, as well as wasting less damage on overkill. However, it's also much more affected by armor.

Still no one uses it except in low level games where both sides don't attack until they mass up huge armies.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 23:47   Link #2268
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
There's going to be a lan hack don't worry. Who wants to see: "OMG B.net is in maintanence! Ok, the live broadcast/tournament/lanparty is canceled; I know you all (1000 people/players/spectators gathered here for starcraft but everyone please go home... or we could try playing sc1." (lol) Like the fans are going to put up with this crap.
I doubt that's gonna happen. If it goes like WoW style, the maintenance would be on regular and predictable interval, such as every Tuesday or Wednesday 1 AM or something like that. Beside, if Blizzard step up to be a tournament organizer, like they did with Arena Tournament of WoW, they would be able to schedule a tournament outside maintenance time, or make up a new server that is exclusively used for tournament hosting.

Quote:
A Zerg Player in SC2 that doesn't build a Queen is bound to lose.
Except he goes extremely early rush, like TLO did to Nazgul in one game .

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 02:18   Link #2269
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard
The system will Shut down in 30 seconds.

GG Beta.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 02:38   Link #2270
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Still no one uses it except in low level games where both sides don't attack until they mass up huge armies.
High level players consider them pretty good actually TLO used them quite a few times, given the opportunity. That's the problem really, the opportunity. They are nowhere near a n00b unit they might have been in sc1.

Carriers on the other hand with their "critical mass" nonsense... no comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
I doubt that's gonna happen. If it goes like WoW style, the maintenance would be on regular and predictable interval, such as every Tuesday or Wednesday 1 AM or something like that. Beside, if Blizzard step up to be a tournament organizer, like they did with Arena Tournament of WoW, they would be able to schedule a tournament outside maintenance time, or make up a new server that is exclusively used for tournament hosting.
Oh, so if theres a bug blizzard is not going to patch it for days? weeks? Or are they going to have "possible, scheduled maintanence time" each frikin day? (lolz) That said, outside blizzcon (which isn't exactly every day) blizzard has done squat for tournies as far as I know. Or maybe all their attempts were not even worth noticing, since I never heard about it. Don't expect that to change.
Old 2010-06-08, 04:18   Link #2271
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Oh, so if theres a bug blizzard is not going to patch it for days? weeks? Or are they going to have "possible, scheduled maintanence time" each frikin day? (lolz) That said, outside blizzcon (which isn't exactly every day) blizzard has done squat for tournies as far as I know. Or maybe all their attempts were not even worth noticing, since I never heard about it. Don't expect that to change.
I guess that you haven't played WoW so you might not know how Blizz maintain their servers. Some bugs are server only or can be solved by hotfixing server side, which I think doesn't have to bring the server down or bring the server down for a very short period of time (Rolling restart the servers). For scheduled maintenance, it is usually once a week, or once every two weeks with rolling restart in a week between those two. It's very predictable and they normally don't bring the server down during peak time of their server; they usually restart or bring the server down 1AM or 3AM to 6AM (PST for US Server) in the morning which I guess you wouldn't be waking or hosting tournament during that time. If they could schedule a maintenance that WoW players could do their regular (daily) raids, BNet 2 downtime should not be that big of a problem.

For tournament hosting, they might try to host more outside Blizzcon or if they are true to themselves about promoting "e-Sport", then they could try or sponsor people who have experience hosting a tourney (which husky said he and HD contact Blizzard about helping them in future tournament). Well, I might be too optimistic but I don't see a point about worrying right now.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2010-06-08, 08:11   Link #2272
Milkk

I miss the beta already T_____T
-nothing to do but study for exams-
Milkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 08:40   Link #2273
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

I miss it too. I want to play more BattleCraft.
Squarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 10:55   Link #2274
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Crow View Post
I miss it too. I want to play more BattleCraft.
People really like that map I think it topped the custom map chart for a whole beta period.

Lately, after the last patch, I played almost no Ladder game (just placement match and make my way to top 10 gold league, I know I suck!!!) and spend most of my time on Resurgence Base Defense (basically a TD with a Hero unit to support the tower) and Desert Strike, which is kinda fun but burn my gpu to crisp...

Old 2010-06-08, 11:00   Link #2275
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
Well, I might be too optimistic but I don't see a point about worrying right now.
Its not worry. I just have no faith in blizzard doing anything to compare with everyone else regarding starcraft tourneys.
Old 2010-06-08, 18:13   Link #2276
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
A bit hard, since many units have changed. Though it does put things in perspective as sc2 doesn't really have that many "useless" units, but Sc1 does fine despite that. Though of course sc1 is more mapped out so progamers tend to use the "best"strategy. The skill gap is so tiny now that it's very hard for anyone to take risks with more creative play. You will see the best players pull off something different in a best of 5 or something. Your common proleague game usually doesn't show much of that.

I'm surprised you don't see any firebats though; they're extremely standard against zerg especially late game against dark swarm (firebats being the only terran unit that can really fight in dark swarm). Battlecruisers are kinda weak, but they're seen in long terran vs terran games.

Battlecruisers are much stronger in sc2, though they usually won't show up most of the time since games don't last that long usually.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 18:24   Link #2277
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Battlecruisers are much stronger in sc2, though they usually won't show up most of the time since games don't last that long usually.
BCs are easier to counter in SC2 than in SC1. Protoss can feedback them just fine and use VRs to annihilate them. Zerg can just mass Corruptors or overwhelm BCs with hydra force. Terrans can just mass Vikings with reactor and with proper micro, not even Yamato can help against them kiting the BCs. I watched some TvT using BCs, but usually BC players lost.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-08, 18:25   Link #2278
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I'm surprised you don't see any firebats though; they're extremely standard against zerg especially late game against dark swarm
Defense matrix firebats ftw!
Old 2010-06-08, 21:59   Link #2279
Edgewalker
Nani ?

http://sc2.nibbits.com/assets/starcrack-allin1/

For anyone who still wants to play, apparently there is AI you can beat up on.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 23:02   Link #2280
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I don't know why you are quoting me that quote just supports what I'm saying. They don't make 160 million a month. Their profit for all of 2008 was only 344 million, which is a lot but not anywhere near what gummybear is saying blizz is making.
dude, you do know income is not the same as profit right? if you didn't take business 101 then this is what profit means: income - other crap that your business has to pay for. Go look on their stock holder reports, they make that much in wow alone, hell they make 3m on the first hour of selling that ulder mount itself as they announced it; except they blown it on stuff like self subsidy on their older games and future game developments since those are't making money yet..... and building 20 foot tall bronze idols of different warcraft characters riding their epic mounts.... and paying different animation shows to make ep of WoW theme.... that's why they cut chat out for 2.0, because it's costing them money to run bnet 1.0 with all those interaction functions. On top of that, if you look at their reports, they do almost everything in-house, so no wonder their labor cost is also an bitch on their book.

Last edited by gummybear; 2010-06-09 at 23:26.
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows