Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-10-13, 00:28   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Autumn 2008 Anime Review Thread: Post Your Opinion and Grade

Like we've done in previous seasons, list any Autumn 2008 anime that you've seen, talk about why you like (or dislike) it, and give it a grade. Autumn 2008 refers to anime which begun airing in late September, October, November and December.

For a reference of which anime are airing in the above said timespan, you may refer to this thread: Autumn 2008: Your Expectations and Anticipated Series

If you wish, you might use this format:

Title: Title of anime i.e. Toaru Majutsu no Index
Rating: A+ - F scale, i.e. D+ or C or B-
Episodes Viewed: Episodes you have seen. i.e. 1 - 3
(Mini-Review goes here. i.e. Insert your comment here)

Last edited by Pellissier; 2009-01-13 at 12:23.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 04:49   Link #2
Slice of Life
eyewitness

To quote myself (with added update):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
To add my own expectations, at the moment I can only say what I don't want to see. Out of the (... counts ...) 45 TV productions there are 10 sequels I won't watch, namely ...

Clannad, ef, Hokuto no Ken, Junjou Romantica, Gundam 00, Kyou no Go no Ni, Nodame Cantabile, Noramimi, Penguin Musume Heart, Rosario to Vampire. EDIT: And Shugo Chara Doki (which is just the direct continuation of Shugo Chara).

Away goes the kids' and otherwise strange stuff ...

Battle Spirits, Mach Girl, Negi-Bouzu no Asatarou, Netsusou, Stitch. EDIT: And Hyper Visual Doll Movie, Zettai Yareru Grecia Shinwa, Cardliver and Tetsudou Musume.

... and the sports anime ...

Inazuma Eleven, One Outs.
26 shows remain. These are my first impressions.

Hyakko: Probability that I'll finish this: 90 percent (2 eps)

This will be my anime of the season, I'm almost sure of it. It's also my type of humor. (The chase scene across the campus - to a classical score, NO LESS - brilliant) Slice of Life with an all-girl cast is hard to screw up in a way that I actually drop it. (OK, I dropped Manabi Straight, but that wasn't slice of life, it was just pile of moe.) I wrote this mini-review already after the first episode actually and saw no reason to change it.

Vampire Knight Guilty: Probability that I'll finish this: 90 percent (1 ep)

I don't expect this to become the best show of the season and also not the second best. But it is reasonably safe to assume that this season won't be much different from the first. Then again, I thought the same about Shana II only to drop it after a few episodes.

Toradora: Probability that I'll finish this: 80 percent (2 eps)

I'm always looking for unusual love comedies and this one already won me over for having a male lead who's not just taking up space and a female lead actually being in love with somebody else entirely at first! Again, review of ep 1 still works well for ep 2.

Shikabane Hime Aka: Probability that I'll finish this: 70 percent (1 ep)

It's an action anime with a female lead which is already enough to justify a high probability. She appears in the title so the danger that she's gonna get chickified (if Xam'd is good for anything at all then for introducing me to that term in it's thread) is low.

Yozakura Quartet: 70 percent (1 ep)

It reminds me, and not only me, of Rental Magica in more than one way. I dropped Rental Magica, but it took me a while. I also like the girls in Yozakura Quartet more and hate the male lead less so I might actually finish this.

Ga-Rei Zero: 60 percent (1 ep)

What? WHAT? What exactly was going on there?
Spoiler:

There's not much I can say. Looks like a no-nonsense action story, fast and with style over substance, but that's not necessarily bad. Now I'm waiting for the real first episode. I can't say where this will be going so it's only 60 percent. But if they're going to screw around with the timeline they better do it well for once. (In Haruhi it was a dirty fix to generate an acceptable suspense curve, in Rental Magica it was absolutely pointless, and Touka Gettan wouldn't have appealed to me no matter if forwards, backwards, upwards or downwards.)

Chaos; Head: 60 percent (1 ep)

I like the idea of making an otaku in his final stage of otakuness the main protagonist but I wonder if this goes well with the otaku fanbase. Intriguing and mysterious. So mysterious that I can't tell if it will turn out good or bad.

Casshern Sins: 40 percent (2 eps)

Surprisingly good for a reanimated oldschool anime. Actually, it didn't look that old to me at all (the main character's bizarre hairdo aside) as everybody else seems to think. I could name several similar but new anime and many old ones that are completely different. Anyway, I'm still cautious. Casshern running around meeting depressive robots in front of depressive backgrounds plus fight of the week won't carry 26 eps. Therefore still only 40 percent.

Kannagi: 40 percent (1 ep)

Yet another "girlfriend falls from the sky" anime. Or crawls out of a tree in this case. It's rather conventional so there's not much to say about it. The first episode wasn't unfunny but I expect this to turn into a standard harem rather soon. I've seen much worse though. Even if I drop this I don't think I'll leave with a feeling of having wasted my time. This is different to ...

Tales of Yawneria (... the Abyss): 40 percent (2 eps)

Bland. Yes, the most oversubbed and overhyped show of the season is actually totally bland. Seriously, these fantasy worlds all look the same anyway. And this Luke guy is painfully obvious no Lina Inverse despite his red hair. Why should I care if he lives or dies or what happened in his conveniently forgotten past.

Now that sounds as if ToA is the worst show of the season. That's not true because part of its blandness is the absence of anything really repelling. If this was 13 eps log I might have finished this even if I'd ask myself afterwards why. But at 26 eps I can give it only a 40 percent probability.

To Aru Majutsu no Index: 40 percent (2 eps)

The only anime so far that took a bit of an unexpected turn in the second ep. It looked like another Kannagi at first ("sudden girlfriend appearance"), maybe with a few cartoonish villains but now it looks more like Bleach (OK, lets say Nabari no Ou. Bleach may be a bit polemic). I'm not a big fan of either genre so 40 percent.

Tytania: 30 percent (1 ep)

One sentence suffices: LoGH now with added CGI and more colorful costumes.

Kurozuka: 30 percent (1 ep)

Samurai, samurai, people die. Well, hack'n'slash is not my cup of tea and seldom comes with a plot beyond delivering an excuse for more hack'n'slash. On the positive side I already see more story potential than in that bee-train-wreck from last season.

Kuro Shitsuji: 20 percent (1 ep)

It's about an awesome butler doing awesome things in awesome ways. In fact, the butler is so annoyingly awesome, he just kills any kind of comedy this anime might contain. One of the prime examples why I prefer female over male protagonists. The good thing is that the show is less haremish than Hayate, the bad thing is that the butler's harem contains only men and a pair of glasses in a maid uniform. This anime will have a hard time to redeem itself.

Kemeko Deluxe: 10 percent (2 eps)

About as fast and absurd as Macademi Wasshoi (see below), slightly less blatant in its otaku appeal but without trying to address all fetishes at once. Evangelion references (respect intellectual property, please!). Some jokes were actually working. I might even watch another episode for fun but probably not more.

Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka: 0 percent (2 eps)

Typical H game to anime conversion. Uninspired even for its genre. Lighthearted but no comedy. I was unsure if I should bother to download the second episode. Which I finally did. But then I dropped it for good.

Bihada Ichizoku: 0 percent (1 ep raw)

Oh come on, its an anime to promote some cosmetics ... thingy. I was in for one raw out of curiosity, for completeness reasons, and of course the lulz. Dropped.

Kurogane no Linebarrels: 0 percent (1 ep)

AKA the new Gonzo show. Experience just speaks against watching anime Gonzo is responsible for so they were considered guilty until proven innocent. Which they didn't even attempt to prove. The mecha anime cliches just piled up. Yes, including the mysterious naked girl. And the CG was bad as usual.

Gonzo's main problem ... OK, I don't really know what their main problem is, they just pile up too ... one of Gonzo's problems that breaks their neck in this case is that they take themselves too seriously where they shouldn't. Look, at the introduction of the "mysterious girl" here and in "To Aru Majutsu no Index" for comparison and you know what I mean. Dropped.

Macademi Wasshoi: 0 percent (1 ep)

Reminds me a bit of Penguin Musume Heart but it puts at least an order of magnitude more otaku-specific fetishes into the first episode. Some will mistake it for a parody but it isn't. It puts cliches to an extreme without ridiculing them. It caters otaku needs most efficiently (a plot being none of those, I suppose). Unfunny. Dropped.

Tentai Senshi Sunred: 0 percent (1 ep raw)

It looked like a fringe show and it took only a raw to confirm that. I simply don't get some some facets of Japanese humor. It cries 4-koma although it is based on a real manga or so I heard. The animation is minimal. The only joke, some kind of sentai team member and his arch enemies live normal lives between beating each other up, is repeated over and over again. Dropped.

So what remains to check is Alive (which still doesn't have a starting date it seems), Hakushaku to Yousei (on HD but not watched yet), Jigoku Shoujo: Mitsuganae (again a sequel, so relatively safe), Kurozuka (also on HD but not watched yet), Michiko to Hatchin, Mouryou no Hako, Skip Beat, Tytania.

Last edited by Slice of Life; 2008-10-14 at 05:15. Reason: Added Tytania and Kurozuka
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 08:57   Link #3
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Title: Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka
Rating: C+
Episodes Viewed: 2

Pretty generic, and almost no chance of becoming a dark horse in the VN adaptation genre like ef ~a tale of memories~ and True Tears did, but I'll probably keep watching this simply as the put-brain-to-sleep fix.

Title: Chaos;Head
Rating: A-
Episodes Viewed: 1

Like, goddamned. This totally promises a complete mindfuck; I'm keeping this on the watchlist.

Title: CLANNAD ~After Story~
Rating: B+

Had a relatively slow start, but then again that's nothing new to the Key/KyoAni adaptations. Almost no chance in hell I'm dropping this.

Title: ef ~a tale of melodies~
Rating: A

What a start, folks. What a start. Definitely shows the potential to match and even beat ef ~memories~. The only thing after CLANNAD ~AS~ that faces almost zero chance of me dropping it this season.

Title: Hyakko

Weird, weird, weird. Would probably have this on my watchlist in any other season, but Fall 2008? Sorry, dropped. Better things out there to spend my time on.

Title: Kannagi

Definitely promising material, even if the premise may seem cliched at first glance. I'll keep watching and see what gives.

Title: Kurogane no Linebarrels
Rating: D+

OMG bad, bad, bad. This was hyped as Gonzo's last stand pre-Fall 2008? It has the next 2 episodes to prove it's not another LOLGONZO series.

Title: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season

Pretty impressive start. Let's just hope Sunrise can keep the momentum up instead of turning it into yet another trainwreck.

Title: Nodame Cantabile ~Paris Chapter

A definite favourite, and even though J.C. Staff’s taking liberties as usual, it’s not that bad as yet. It’ll take a total butchering for me to drop this.

Title: Tales of the Abyss

Not a bad watch thus far, and certainly works as a change of taste for the week from the VN adaptations.

Title: To Aru Majutsu no Index
Rating: B-

I dunno….not too bad, but there’s better out there to watch. I might keep on watching this up until the point I totally forget about it altogether.

Title: Toradora

Not too bad, but I much prefer Kannagi. I might drop this.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 02:08   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well on a first impression basis:

Title: Tytania

Probably the best first episode I've seen so far when it comes to providing a hook. The Tytania families politics drew my right in by the end of the first episode as did the look and feel of the show in general. Can't wait for the next episode

The show just went right into things very quickly and as a result got off to a fairly good start. Things haven't quite started to move yet and the characters are still getting back into their groove, but the new conflict is starting to shape up and it looks very much like it's going to have that great web of interesting character relationships and drama that I love from the Gundam franchise.

Title: Tales of The Abyss

Yes I've played the game so it kind of feels a little bit rehashy for me, but I have to say that the way they are presenting the show....it's like they are actually taking a little pride in what should just be yet another game to anime adaptation. The production values show some care in recreating the environments of the game, it actually has a reasonable episode count so that it isn't forced to jump entire sections of the story at a time to find a suitable ending spot, and it's delivering what a decent adaptation should, a treat for fans of the game. That's all one should really expect and ask of it I think.

Title: Toradara
Rating: C

The first episode was alright, but by the second episode I feel I'm starting to lose interest fast. It's starting to feel a little more cliche and awkward in terms of character development. It might just be a one time thing so I'm willing to give it a few more episodes.

Title: Clannad ~After Story~

The first episode was okay enough in it's own way, but the second one fell right back into my least favourite aspects of what the Clannad story has to offer. Namely yet another episode focusing on the character that everyone seems to adore for some reason I can't in any way comprehend, but I find kills the show for me everytime he's onscreen. I was under the impression that this extended epilogue of sorts was supposed to be a whole different ballgame (no pun intended) so I can only hope we start seeing that aspect of it sooner rather than later.

Title: Macedemi Wasshoi

I have a bit of a soft spot for the magical girl genre and so this went over reasonably well with me. It's not pretentious enough to assume it has a serious story to tell like some other shows in it's genre and by god I hope it doesn't start to feel that way, but for now it's a decent slice of light comedy, action and wacky antics. Pure mindless shounen fun to indulge in a little.

Title: Kurogane No Linebarrel
Rating: D-

There's really just not that much that I can claim I like about this show. I'm giving it it's three episode due before I outright flunk it, but it's like they aren't even trying with this show. Every concept I've seen so far is either presented in the most cliche manner possible, or just falls flat on it's face, the CG mecha don't mesh well at all with the backgrounds they are fighting on, the character design and arc is frankly awful, the main character almost seems like a joke to be honest, the female lead has shown little depth other then the imprint she gets on her bosom every time Linebarrel is summoned......really what is supposed to be the appeal here? I really don't know what is going on with this show at all.....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 07:14   Link #5
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I took a page from the book of Chiri Kitsu, and did this properly.

Fall 2008: First thoughts

Last edited by Sorrow-K; 2008-10-17 at 07:26.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-19, 22:56   Link #6
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

What a wonderful season compared to the last 3 or so. I'm actually watching more than two series.

Title: Clannad ~ After Story
Episodes Viewed: 3

I had some initial dislikes about the original season of Clannad which don't seem to persist in my viewing anymore. Perhaps it is because I shed some of the expectations or hopes I originally had. For whatever reason I have been able to enjoy things very much watching this. Animation has been off in a couple episodes but I am sure that they are saving for future episodes (And this is just off for KyoAni so it beats most things anyways). OP is great, the ED is not so great.

Title: Ef ~ A tale of Melodies

This series is epic. The whole thing is just beautiful. I cannot help but feel inspired by every single moment of this series. All I can say is if you liked the first season, you'll definitely like this one as well. Great OP, first ED I have seen is mediocre.

Rating: B

Simple series with relatively simple characters so far. It is entertaining and gives me Shana like vibes. I do not know how to describe the similarity, but I kind of feel like I am watching a similar series. It gets a strong grade of a B so far, so lets see how far this show can go. OP and ED suck, but most series have bad ones so it is OK.

Pretty much what I expected out of this series, being based on a Tales game where I have played some Tales titles. The show makes me wish I had the game, but it will still be enjoyable. So far it has been pretty strong and I will keep watching it to the end.

Title: Nodame Cantible: Paris Hen

More of the same stuff with Chiaki and Nodame. If you like the first season, you should definitely check out the second.

WTF is up with this series? It is so messed up that it is good for whatever reason that is unfathomable. I like the mind $(%* this series offers. It has all the potential in the world to become epic and it could also be an epic failure. Either way it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I will keep up with this series because it is strangely entertaining. It has no reasons for me to consider it very good though yet. I could possibly see myself dropping this if it gets annoying.

EDIT: I dropped Toradora because I cannot stand watching it no matter how much the personalities clash. It just is too much.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2008-10-20 at 15:42.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-20, 23:01   Link #7
Hasako
The Reaper of Misery

hmm is it me or does the pickings seem to increase yet only yield decent shows for the last year or so?? just me....Meh

Title:Akane iro no somaru saka
Rating:C+
Episodes viewed:3
hmm its not that bad, its generic though..il stick with it until i get bored

Title:Chaos head
Rating:B+
Episodes viewed:2
Ah this is one of the one series that seems to be be Enjoyable to me. It has mystery and on top of that, the narrator seems to be a little Mad which always adds to the series suspense as we wonder whats a delusion and exaggerated and what isn't. Kinda gives me Higurashi vibes but only a little....characters and psychological suspense could use work. This series can either be good or bad..it depends

Title: Clannad A.S
Rating:B+
so far so good...basically how all kyoani's works has been..not entirely a bad thing

Title:ToraDora
Rating:B-
Ok so i read the manga going into it giving me a bias to like it more...yet it still is lacking something :3?

Title:Kannagi
Rating:B
I dont care what you guys say...i lyke iet

Title:To aru majetsu no index
I tend to like this type of genre if they do it right..and hopefully they will on this one but i got to say less convo more plot.(cmon nothing happened in episode 3)

Title:Kameko Delux
Rating: FFFFFFF
Lol its so horrible its GOOD

Title:Ef a tale of melodies
ok its good but i cant get into it...i like shaft D:

Title:Hyakko
Rating:C+
ok its good yet shows with no plot tend to make it less enjoyable but its still funny

Title:Ga rei zero
Episodes viewed:1
i shood catch up on this..anyways so far the beginning seemed to bore me yet the end totally salvaged it..

Title:Nodame cantabile Paris
Rating:/B+
Yay more gyabo..although im sad to see this series lose some of its characters that left behind in japan

Title:Kuroshitsuji
Rating:D
Episodes viewed:1
WHAT GENRE ARE YOU!!!

Key: A=GENIUS
B=enjoyable
C=interesting..to some degree
D=needs to be burned and forgotten
F=lol
Hasako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-21, 08:16   Link #8
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Title : Akane Iro Ni Somaru Saka
Rating : B-
Episodes Viewed : 3
Typical game to anime conversion. But it is quite cute IMO.

Title : Chaos;Head
Rating : C (for the time being)
Episodes Viewed : 2
The first 2 episodes make no sense. At all.

Title : Rosario + Vampire Capu 2
Rating : A-
Spoiler for NSFW:

Title : To Aru Majutsu No Index
Rating : B+
The storyline seems to be going quite fast IMO. Hopefully it won't be too short like Zero No Tsukaima S3.

Title : Clannad ~After Story~
Rating : A-
Just what I wanted, more sideline character development, especially Youhei. The OP is pretty. But it is only the beginning and I am not hoping too much for a would-be tragedy.

Title : Kyou No Go No Ni
Rating : A++
This is lovely! A little nostalgic as it reminds me of my very much younger days (which is about 10-14 years ago, seems that time flies).

Title : Gundam 00 S2
I was hoping very much that they don't screw it up the way they did to S1's ending and the main plot. But the "Oretachi wa, GUNDAM ka!" is still not heard from Setsuna......

This is as much as I can stomach. Don't want to watch too much right now, don't feel like it.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 09:00   Link #9
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Title : Yozakura Quartet
Rating : C

I really like the character designs here, but the action is ordinary, and the whole race plot issue seems overdone. The OP and ED are great though, and since I think it's only 13 eps, I may as well see it through to the end.

Title : Clannad ~After Story~
Rating : B-

It's pretty much the same stuff as the first season. It's not bad, but a bit tired by now I would think. But still, the plot is yet to really get going and I think it can only improve from here.

Title : Toradora!
Rating : B

The tsundere loli lead character which would have drawn many to this title is what is ironically preventing me from truly embracing it. The other characters such as Ryuuji and Minori are so much more interesting than Taiga, that it seems like a waste whenever she's on screen.

Title : Skip Beat!

Pretty standard shoujo fare, but the style and presentation really make it stand out from the crowd. A unique and strong female lead who provides plenty of laughs together with an admirable message to viewers makes this a show to follow.

Title : Nodame Cantabile: Paris
Episodes Viewed : 2

It's Nodame. What more can I say? The second series provides plenty of humour based off Nodame and Chiaki's conflicting personalities, blended with beautiful classical music and lovely performance animations. Pity it's only 11 episodes.

Title : Kannagi
Rating : A

Surprise hit for me. I read the plot summary and thought it was ridiculous, but Nagi steals the show with her commanding exuberance and bubbly personality. Nagi's voice actress does an amazing job with her role. Amazing OP and ED with excellent animation and great attention to detail. I will follow this title with great interest.

Title : ef - a tale of melodies
Rating : A

This is probably THE title of the Autumn 2008 season. Wonderful animation, music, and presentation, with every episode rife with symbolism and hidden meanings. Very similar to the first ef in terms of atmosphere and feel, but that's not a negative trait. Even if melodies turns out to be memories with different characters, that will be enough to cement it top spot for me this season.
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 15:56   Link #10
lubczyk

These are the series I have seen 3 or more episodes of

KEEP WATCHING:

1. Tytania - My #1 series this season. Intense and cerebral. I'm on the edge of my seat during every episode.

2. Chaos; Head - Amazing, stimulating and exciting. I have to see anything quite like it. Like Lain, but more endearing since it's not weird just for the sake of weird. Seeing some kind of larger plot developing is welcome.

3. Gundam 00 - It's not too exciting, but at least it has a plot and lots of pretty explosions.

4. To Aru Majutsu no Index - Has Shana vibes to it and some kind of plot developing. I like it.

5. Kannagi - Only other decent School-life anime this season, probably due to the fact that it doesn't totally take place at school and the cliche breakers run amply around.

6. Blassreiter - It's really bad, I just can't stop watching. I'm already at episode 21 so I might as well watch till the end. My income is low so I probably pay to watch an episode every three or four weeks or so.

7. Rosario + Vampire Capu2 - I like the Halloween theme. It's a guilty pleasure that I actually find funny as opposed to Kyou no 5 no 2.

DROPPED:

1.Toradora!
2. Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka

- While I love Rie KUGIMIYA, I just can't handle another episodic, school life, romance anime. It's almost like these studios aren't even trying.

3. Clannad: After Story
4. ef - a tale of melodies
5. Kyou no 5 no 2
6. Hidamari Sketch x 365

- These all seem like poor rehashings, milkings of their respective first seasons. I've grown bored of their respective mini-verses.

7. Hyakko - Another pointless, plotless school-life comedy that I can't bother getting through. Kimikiss has spoiled me.

8. Kurogane no Linebarrel - Hate the character designs. Also, it seems like a 13 episode Mecha anime with a very limited budget. With Gundam 00 out, there's really no reason to bother with this if Mecha is what you're after.

Again, these are series I have seen three or more episodes of.

I don't find numerical scores remotely useful. I just like to use Watch/Don't Watch.

Last edited by lubczyk; 2008-10-24 at 19:32.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 16:45   Link #11
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Rating: 4/10, D-
Finishing Probability: 80%
-I can't say this is one of my favorite anime this season. I'm glad that Kugimiya didn't give her usual voice, but the plot is still too bland and typical. Still, I'm a Kugifag, so I'll have to keep watching.

Title: ChäoS;HEAd
Rating: 4/10, D
Finishing Probability: 35%
-This series is nothing great, and there isn't really a drive for me to finish this series except for imouto-chan and the ED. Frankly, it's just not my type. If it's a horror, then it failed. If it's psychological, then it's too boring. If it's mystery, then it's not suspenseful enough. I might not finish this series if it doesn't pick up.

Title: Clannad ~After Story~
Rating: 8/10, A-
Finishing Probability: 95%
-Clannad was my favorite anime of that season, and AS started out very nicely. I love how it immediately went into Youhei and Mei's story, not recapping or adding fillers about the "main" characters just to please the fans. Just like how we're finally about to understand Youhei's past, I hope that more will be added to the main characters later on and not just something repetitive. The baseball game was just excellent in every way. It was a great way to re-introduce all the main characters and summarize the results of the first season while being interesting and hilarious at the same time.

Title: ef - a tale of melodies
Rating: 7/10, B
Finishing Probability: 100%
-Lol, there's no way I will drop this series. Mizuki/Kuze's arc is looking to be really interesting, as well as Yu's. What I do want is more development for Kei.

Rating: 5/10, C
Finishing Probability: 50%
-Once again here is a series that's not very much my type. So far there's really no plot advancement and the mood is very "slice-of-life"-like. I was initially interested in what Nagi really is, but right now I foresee a romance triangle and my interest went down. Oh well, at least there is a character that will make me keep watching this series.

Title: Kuroshitsuji
Rating: 4/10, D-
Finishing Probability: 25%
-The first episode is not enough for me to make any kind of valid opinion, but so far it doesn't draw me in. I keep thinking that this series is supposed to be mysterious in some way, but it just bores me.

Title: Kurozuka
Rating: 4/10, D
Finishing Probability: 30%
-Once again, there's not much I can say with just one episode.

Title: Nodame Cantabile Paris Chapter
Rating: 7/10, B
Finishing Probability: 100%
-I loved the first season, and I am loving the second season. The second episode was already win, and it was so nostalgic of the first season. I can't wait to see more.

Rating: 8/10, B+
Finishing Probability: 85%
-This series is all types of win, combining moe and action. I'm not sure which part is better, the fact that the animation is amazing or that Index isn't a tsundere. Anyways, it's a first season of J.C.Staff, so it must be good. It could also train wreck, who knows?

Title: Toradora!
Rating: 5/10, C-
Finishing Probability: 80%
-I like the first two episodes, but the third episode featured a too clingy Taiga, as if we're going to have an indecisive female lead who creates romance triangles out of thin air. If it's not, then I'll be more happy. However, I'm a Kugifag, so therefore I will probably finish this series.

Title: Vampire Knight Guilty
Rating: 5/10, C
Finishing Probability: 85%
-Now here's my Hayate no Gotoku of the season. Whenever I get this series I don't really want to watch it, but I enjoy it every time I do. It's just weird that way. All I will say is the first season is interesting enough to keep me wanting to finish this season.

Title: Kyou no Go no Ni
Rating: 3/10, F
Finishing Probability: 0%
-I already dropped this series because it's so bad.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-10-31 at 00:26.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 19:33   Link #12
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Title: Macedami Wasshoi
Rating: ???
Such a entertaining series, but alas it have a sad fate.

The comedy aspect of this show is hit and miss, although it hits for me 90% of the time. The characters are probably the best of the season, and that is why I'm enjoying the ride greatly so far. I guess I really don't have a lot to say than I really, really like this one, QUALITY aside.

Episodes Viewed: 4
This show, or rather, Taiga, is confusing the hell out of me. In every episode, she starts off being this gigantic bitch, but then slowly gets better as the episode continues. Just at the point where you start to find her likable, she then returns to her bitchy ways. I guess neo-tsuderes just isn't right for me. Everything else of this show is fairly enjoyable.

This show is good as of right now. I like the character design and the art quality is wonderful. However, the comedy for me is a little bit lacking, and the characters are a little bland. Nagi is great and all but she doesn't leave a strong enough impression for me to reach excellence, yet.

Title: Kameko DX
This show is enjoyable to say the least, but that is as far as it's going. I am just waiting to see when does the "weird suit" gag wear off and whether they're willing to give more jokes than "Kameko is really weird". The end of Ep 3 did gave me some hope, and the cast is likable so I'm willing to continue for now.

Title: Ga-rei Zero
This show will jump to an A if
Spoiler for spoiler:

I'm going to trust that they won't screw this one up since it's been in planning for 2 years and all.

Title: Toaru Majutsu no Index
A lot of people say this feels like SnS again, but I thought that this also reminded me of F/SN. So far it's not going anywhere exciting but the OP gave me great hopes that it will in the future.

Episodes Viewed:1
A lot of people said great things about this show but something about it just kept turning me off from watching another episode. I probably won't follow this one unless something spectacular happens.

Rating: C-
I liked it better when it was called "every other ero-game". It's not horrible, just really, really boring. Even getting through the first episode took a lot of determination, and I am not a very determined one.
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 03:28   Link #13
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost

If people thought I was a 900% kyoani moéfag, they are so wrong. Kurozuka was my most anticipated when it was announced. I am weak for stories featuring immortals since Highlander, and I have a liking for those that spans over decades, centuries or generations (like JoJo). I like it more when there are man-to-man action (so mech doesn't cut it to me). But I love it even more when it is delivered in a lovely package. Did Kurozuka delivered so far? I'd say, fck yeah. Its design reminds me a bit of Ninja Scroll, one of the first productions by Madhouse I have ever seen along with Wicked City. So yes, the story and the package (design, music, direction) did it to me.

It's one of the shows where I can see potential and trust the writer (LoGH). So far, from the three episodes, the alchemy had gripped me. One can reproach Fan's reasons to fight and win to be petty, I'd like to remind people that it is not that different from some generals in History. So long it is not Generic Shonen Hotblooded Idiot Hero, it is fine to me.

Title: Clannad After Story
Rating: B -

I was eager to see a romance anime that continues after the choice/confession/kiss. There are potential in the story, I am thirsty after the episode is over, so it is a good sign. However, how the scriptwriter gonna make the transition from game to anime and deliver? The time will tell. Anyone with a more moderate mind can tell that, in despite of its qualities, Kyoto Animation is still a studio that learns.

Is it as mediocre or awful as said in ANN? No. Is it solid but still have room for improvement? Yes.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-27, 01:18   Link #14
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Latest update.

Rating: C+ => C-
Episodes Viewed: 4 => Dropped

Okay, this isn't even as mindlessly fun as Nogizaka Haruka was. Not worth following any longer.

Rating: A- => A

Definitely still worth the watch. Can't wait for the next mindf*** each new episode promises.

Title: CLANNAD ~After Story~
Rating: B+ => A

The Sunohara Siblings' Arc was just that good.

Title: ef ~a tale of melodies~
Rating: A => A

Still as good as ever, definitely for keeps.

Rating: B+ => A

This is going to be the sleeper hit of the season, mark my words.

Title: Kurogane no Linebarrels
Rating: D+ => F
Episodes Viewed: 3 => Dropped

Nope, no good. I can't take any more of this.

Rating: B+ => A-

It's actually shaping up to be a pretty good watch thus far.

Title: Nodame Cantabile ~Paris Chapter
Rating: B+ => B-

The butchering of the Platini Competition Arc loses it major points. Let's hope J.C. Staff can pick themselves up from this.

Rating: B+ => B+
Episodes Viewed: 5

Still proving to be worth the watch so far, I have high hopes for this one.

Rating: B- => B-
Episodes Viewed: 2 => Dropped

Not that it's horrible in any way, but I simply lost interest.

Rating: B- => B

Still hanging by a thread from being dropped, but I'll give this a couple more episodes and see what gives.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-30, 22:25   Link #15
Echoes

I'm a bit late, but this season has been absolutely great so far, so I figured I'd post some impressions regardless. The ratings expressed here are very general, and will no doubt change drastically soon enough.

Rating: Very good

Greatly entertaining, fluent animations and characters I fell for right away. It's a great replacement for the recently finished Wagaya no Oinara-sama, which I also loved. This series has been a pure joy so far, one of the top tiers this season in my opinion.

Rating: Average

It's somewhat dark, somewhat silly and somewhat mysterious. I find the humor to not fit that well with the other themes of the show. The butler, Sebastian, is almost too good to be true, and this I find to be a double-edged blade. This is pretty much how I feel about the show overall, a lot of points I like, but also a fair amount I don't enjoy that dampen the experience.

Title: Kyou no Go no Ni
Rating: Bad

I'm disappointed that I ended up not enjoying this, I'm usually a hound for these kinds of slice of life. The humor just doesn't hit home, and the visuals don't really help either. It's not horrible, but it's been underwhelming so far.

Rating: Good

The world's angriest tsundere, courtesy of Kugimiya Rie, and a highly hyperactive genki-girl to balance it out. I feel at home. The show is really fun and enjoyable, Taiga is fun, but the real kicker for me is "Minorin", her moe-beam has absolutely mesmerized me. A good show so far, with plenty of potential to be great by the end.

I like everything except the male lead. Hopefully he'll grow on me. I really like these kinds of adventure-shows, I'm hoping this'll turn out somewhat like Scrapped Princess/Utawarerumono, then I'll be one happy camper. So far, so good.

Title: Shikabanehime Aka
Rating: Good

Stylish, and I really like the strong female lead. Pretty good show so far.

Title: Toaru Majutsu no Index
Rating: Excellent

I'm thoroughly enjoying this fantastic blend of action and moe. Like many others have said before me, it gives of Shana vibes, which is a great thing in my book. Lovable characters, interesting setting and lovely visuals. I've no complains at all. One of my absolute favorites this season.

Title: Clannad After Story
Rating: Excellent

They're off to a great start, the first four episodes of this season have been on par with, or perhaps even better, than pretty much any arc from the first. I find myself smiling, laughing and getting emotionally involved with all my beloved characters from the cast. I'm thrilled that we didn't have to wait long for them to return, and I enjoy this show immensely.

Title: Rosario to Vampire Capu2
Rating: Very bad

Not that I had any expectations of this show, but it's somehow managed to be even worse than the first season. This is very cheap entertainment, which works at times, but I'm sort of surprised I'm still watching this at all. I guess it must be all the pretty colours.

Rating: (Slightly above) Average

I don't really have a problem with this show being generic, it's still fun to watch and fairly charming at times. It doesn't really try to be anything it's not, and I'm enough of an anime-lover that I find generic school comedies to be just fine and dandy.

Title: Ef ~A tale of melodies
Rating: Very good (bordering excellent)

It's more of Ef, and it has the same charm as its predecessor. A pure joy to watch, with all its inspiring dialog and stunning artistry.

Title: Ga-Rei
Rating: Good +

Yomi is charming enough to sell this series alone. There's a lot of potential for this series to be great, I just hope they don't go overboard with the humor and instead focus on the dark aspects of the series.

Title: Mouryou no Hako
Rating: Good-ish

The jury is still out on this series. I really want to like it, and I do, but I'm still waiting for something to truly sweep me off my feet here. It's been good so far, and if my hunches are right, it could be much better soon.

Title: Chaos Head

And now for something completely different. A protagonist at the border of insanity, dark mysterious murders and unexplainable events; I'm in heaven. I'm keeping my eyes on this jewel.

Kurozuka almost slipped under my radar, but I'm really glad it didn't. Dark and beautiful, bloody and gory. It gives off an atmosphere of mystery and is visually glorious.

I'm utterly pleased with this season, and I haven't even started watching my highly anticipated Jigoku Shoujo yet. Great, great season.
Old 2008-10-31, 19:57   Link #16
TheMP3000
You got to envy this guy.

Send a message via AIM to TheMP3000 Send a message via MSN to TheMP3000
Since I've watched 20 shows this season so far, I don't include sequels or OVAs, I will include 2 words that describe the series and what I feel about it.

Title: Michiko to Hatchin
Rating: A+
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Stylishly Sleek

Title: Mouryou no Hako
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Mysteriously Interesting

Title: Casshern SINS
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Different, Excellent

Title: Linebarrels of Iron
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Amazing, Ugly

Title: Shikabane Hime: Aka
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Makina winz.

Mini-Review In 2 Words: Comedy Goldmine

Title: Macademi WAsshoi
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Absurdly entertaining.

Mini-Review In 2 Words: Idiotic secondaries.
DROPPED

Title: Magical Index
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Masked Shounen.
DROPPED

Mini-Review In 2 Words: Appeal lost.
DROPPED

Title: Yozakura Quartet
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Awesome music.
DROPPED

Mini-Review In 2 Words: NICE BOAT.
DROPPED

Mini-Review In 2 Words: Eww CG.
DROPPED

Title: Ga-Rei Zero
Mini-Review In 2 Words: No Sense.
DROPPED

Mini-Review In 2 Words: SYSTEMATIC PEOPLE.
DROPPED

Title: Earl and Fairy
Rating: D
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Talking raccoon.
DROPPED

Mini-Review In 2 Words: Ugly females.
DROPPED

Title: Skip Beat!
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Shoujo annoying.
DROPPED

Mini-Review In 2 Words: Ugly characters.
DROPPED

Title: Akane Iro ni Somaru Saka
Rating: F+
Mini-Review In 2 Words: Stereotypical Moe.
DROPPED
TheMP3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 01:36   Link #17
Thingle
Banned

Kurozuka
Episodes viewed: 4
- The first time I saw this, I got hooked. Not every show builds the relationship of the heroes on lust. Kuromitsu is like this evil-looking-who's-not-actually-evil character who reminds me of Hotarubi from Basilisk. Right from the bat, I knew she was hiding something but the lust simply takes over from then on. You also don't mess with Kuro. He's badass with that trance mode.

Mouryou no Hako
- I like this the best among all series' this season. Cerebral, unforgiving and dabbling with the spiritual, this detective story requires more than a receptive mind. The studio did a very fine job in portraying the 50's feel. This is the anime version of Film noir.

Jigoku Shoujo 3
Rating B+
- Same old Ai, but different stories of "revenge". I won't call some of the cases revenge, because I actually didn't like 2 of them to go to hell this time (something I last felt on ep.23 Season 1). I love the OP and ED songs.

Ga-rei zero
- I admit that this series went downhill from the beginning. The first episode was awesome, the bloodbath was refreshing and I expected an (early)NGE like action story, but forced yuri-esqe clips and that weirdo downgraded this series. It's not too late to recover though. I could care less about that little girl's love, but please, take that weirdo off the air.

Shikabanehime Aka
Episodes viewed: 3
Rating: B (status in question)
- This is one of the series' doomed to last only for a short time. The idea of gunning down different monsters every week is something that grows old very quickly. Furthermore, I didn't really like the male lead. He seems to be a pacifist and I don't like that. He seems to hinder the real protagonist, Aka. Because this series is licenced, I'm not sure if I'll still follow this series or ultimately drop it.

Chaos;Head
Rating: F (Dropped)
- Pathetic protagonist, pretentious art, stereotypes of otaku. No wonder I dropped this one.

Toradora
Episodes viewed: 1
Rating: F (Dropped)
- Bad art, bitchy protagonist and general crappiness. I dropped this series before it dropped me with its stupidity.

Last edited by Thingle; 2008-11-02 at 01:52.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 02:59   Link #18
christinemarie
Crazy One

New Series and Sequels this fall my judgment

Episodes viewed:4
Well definitely he got hots for his non-related blood sister.

Title:Chaos head
Rating: U
I like the opening theme and the Higurashi like mystery with glimpse of the supposed to be final episode at the beginning. Probable theory that the main protagonist is capable of making his thoughts a reality. Episode 1 and what his
eyes have seen during his childhood that resulted to tragedy of other children and he thinks that it happened because of him. I like how each female character somehow attached to him. Still a mystery that he have clairvoyance.

I enjoyed this arc, enough said.

Episodes viewed:5
Due to Minorin's antics I give it a decent grade. Oh Taiga should be well rewarded.

Title:Rosario The Vampire Capu2
Rated as common, nothing unsual here except lots of panty shots and the Mother vs Mother battle is something.

Title:Kannagi
Rating: S
I love both Nagi and Zange-chan. The battle between two gods as idols is the one I look forward too. Opening also like the famous quoteline in DGrayMan "Strike"

I get bored waiting on the conversation hope it moves on to the next arc soon.

Title:Hyakko
Rating: E
Ok episode 2 make me laugh with the ignore thing. That will do.

Title:Jigoku Shoujo S3
Rating: E
Well the past two seasons okay this season doesn't change that much. Still okay to watch.

Title:Shikibane Hime
How would love develop on corpse and a mere human that's the one keeping me intact in this series expecting something to happen.

Title:Nodame cantabile Paris
Oh Chiaki winning it seems very quick phase can't blame them since it's only 11 episode anime. Nodame forgets about her real purpose as the famous instructor claimed. It's the Otaku's fault.

Title:Gundam 00 S2
Sumeragi is still flawless now wearing some tight uniform. Billy is angry.

Normal cases

S= superb
A= appropriate
B= boastful
C= common
D= decent
E= endure it
F= forget it
G=graveyard

Special cases

R= rare (once in a life time anime examples are The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Death Note, and
Gurren Lagann)
U=uncertain (still don't know what should be it's final grade)

Other animes that I have not yet seen can't be graded except U special case.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 01:56   Link #19
Tiran86

Rating a series for me out of 10 usually means I've finished it, so I'll use this scale.

A: Excellent. It has the makings of a favorite anime.
B: Good. It will probably will end up a 7-8.
C: Average. I don't really care, but its enertaining, so I'll watch it until I get bored.
D: Mediocre. Not impressed, but haven't quite decided to drop it.
F: Dropped

+ means it may go up a rank if the next episode is good.
- means it may go down a grade if the next episode is bad.

Toradora
Grade: Ep. 1,2,5: A/Ep. 3-4: A-
Seen: 1-5
My favorite anime of the season so far. I really enjoyed the novels and I'm having a lot of fun with the series.

Index
Grade: B+
Seen: 1-4
I like the setting, the premise, and characters so far, and these types of shows are fun. However, these shows work better marathoning for me, so I'll be putting it on hold until the season finishes.

Clannad AS:
Grade: B
Good continuation of the first series, which was a solid 8/10 for me. Unless the After story plotline is much better than the School arc story, I doubt my opinion will raise about that.

Tytania:
Grade: B
Its still in the setup phase, but I have hopes it'll be close to what LoGH was. Miranda seems interesting, and I want to see more of Lira.

Ef- A tale of melodies
Grade: B-
I like it, but I need to pay more attention when I watch it. The art is amazing but it tends to distract me from paying close attention to the series. I'll probably watch both seasons again after the show finishes airing and pay more attention.

Hyakko
Grade: 1-2: C/3-4: B+ Overall: B
This show is getting funnier and funnier. The strong point is definitely Torako. If the focus remains on her and the supporting characters, this could be one of my favorites of the season.

Kannagi
Grade: C+
Not much to say really. I've liked every episode, but I don't particually care about the series. The introduction of some of the side characters and Nagi's sister give me a bit of hope for the series. Fifth episode didn't do much for me, so I'm putting it on hold until the end of the season.

Akane-Iro
Grade: Wildly inconsistant in quality. First and fifth episode were easily a B or B- for me, 2-4 were a D-.
This series is annoying since it shows me it can be an enertaining take on its genre, but than some episodes are just terrible. I'll probably end up watching it all the way through just to see how it ends. I don't even know why I have any expectations at all for this series, but for some reason I do.

Mitchiko to Hatchkin
Grade: D+
Seen: 1
I don't really have any idea of what this series is supposed to be yet. I spent most of the episode annoyed.

Last edited by Tiran86; 2008-11-04 at 04:39.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 05:32   Link #20
patnam

Episodes viewed: 5
Hope is not related to School Days, because it much like love triangle.

Title:Chaos; Head
I can see the main character's like Takumi as he is as voice as Allelujah from Gundam 00...

Only found out it's 24 episodes anime, thought it is 13 episodes anime.

Like to see some loli and moe in Rie's character.

Like its stories as much as its manga adaptation. A lot of magic fight and supernatural battle.

Title: ef - a tale of melodies
The sequel of previous ef - a tale of memories, hope to see Yuuko and Yu relationship happens...

Title:Mouryou no Hako
First time to see mystery and thriller anime, yet another CLAMP's character design after Code Geass. Boring from the beginning, and i hope there will be interest part in middle storyline.

Title: Moble Suit Gundam 00 2nd Season
Rating: A+
Finally the anime of the season after Code Geass R2, Setsuna continuely shout "I'm Gundam!". Moreover, the storyline for this time is vary resembles to Zeta Gundam as i can see the Celestial Being and Kataron fight off A-Laws. And like to see Saji join Celestial Being and pilot 0 Riser (if happens).

Title: Casshern Sins
After its live action movie, anime comes out. And i'm shock that the voice of Casshern is not but less is Mr Gundam...

Title: Hokuto no Ken Raoh Gaiden - Ten no Haoh
Although i'm fan of Hokuto no Ken, hope this anime would not let me down after the failure of Souten no Ken.

Title: Vampire Knight Guilty
After the first season, it began more boring as no action yet...
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote