AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-03, 19:29   Link #1261
kimpleng
Lurker

I'm wondering, why Captain Okita decide to not use Wave Motion Shield when they were near star and also when under attack after exiting from dimensional rift?

Is there is drawback when using Wave Motion Shield, something like the ship is more slower.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 19:56   Link #1262
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've pondered that maybe it uses the power of the wave motion engine and might have made it impossible to fire the wave motion gun.
Old 2012-12-04, 01:57   Link #1263
GundamFan0083

I have a question for everybody here.
Has there been a legit US release of Yamato 2199, or is this 2-disc DVD set a bootleg/illegal copy?
I ask, because I'd buy it at that price for episodes 1-6 without the special BD features.
If it is legit, I'd like to know.
If not, I will avoid like the plague.
Thanks in advance.

Here is the listing on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Space-Battlesh...ef=pd_cp_mov_0
Old 2012-12-04, 03:43   Link #1264
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is no legit US release. It has been suggested that it is a Malaysian bootleg.

As far as I can tell Yamato 2199 has not been licensed in the United States, or anywhere outside Japan. Probably because of the way it is currently distributed and the slow pacing of the series release. At the current expected rate, the series won't end until Fall of 2013 after 26 episodes (7 theatrical releases followed by BD releases). Either around that time, the summer before, or afterwards, the series is expected to be shown on TV (which is when the majority ofthe English language anime bloggers might pick it up, if they don't think it is old news or something).

The Episode 10 Goer's Gamilas Fleet was interesting in their camouflage paint jobs. I counted several cruisers (mostly high speed cruisers, but some heavy cruiser) a trailing number of destroyers, one battleship, and a carrier. Plus the battlecruiser they were looking for, though it was probably from a different command group.
Spoiler for Goer:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-12-04 at 04:43.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 06:11   Link #1265
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Speaking of Balan. It looks like it is a gas planet with a mini-sun inside the atmosphere. And the base looks like a massively built up floating continent.
The more i look at it the more it seems Balan is a big ball of gas, split in half, with a small star-like core inside. Probably a weird variant of a brown dwarf or some proto-star. The base seems to be built in a floating continent lookalike, either debris from the planet or something the Gamilas brought in. There is a shot, when the fleet is leaving where there seems to be some sort of energy beams going into the planets atmosphere. An anchor of some kind (much like the tow cables from the EX-178), perhaps? But... attached to what?

I wonder where the "Earth attacked first" angle will lead? There's something i hadn't thought of before. I feel a scent of Babylon 5's Minbari War here.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 09:04   Link #1266
Vito
Asshole.

I checked on Amazon but the first press slipcovers for the first two volumes are already gone, meaning I will probably have to find the volumes 2nd hand, again creators not getting much money from me that way... or I will have to decide that the slipcovers just aren't worth, unless someone has other suggestions?

Mind you I don't live in the States so there's the whole, ship direct or have it reshipped to dodge tax dilemma etc.

Last edited by Solace; 2012-12-04 at 11:31. Reason: Thanks.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 11:41   Link #1267
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I've removed 17 posts that were off topic. While we do allow some discussion of subs in limited instances, this thread ended up getting derailed with full blown "is piracy legal/ethical" talk. That's a topic that really goes nowhere, with many people having different views.

However, this is not the forum to discuss that kind of stuff in. Keep to the discussion of the show itself, and not the meta of piracy. Thanks.
Old 2012-12-04, 12:33   Link #1268
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I've removed 17 posts that were off topic. While we do allow some discussion of subs in limited instances, this thread ended up getting derailed with full blown "is piracy legal/ethical" talk. That's a topic that really goes nowhere, with many people having different views.

However, this is not the forum to discuss that kind of stuff in. Keep to the discussion of the show itself, and not the meta of piracy. Thanks.
Aw damn, that was some of my best material.

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2012-12-04 at 13:37.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 15:40   Link #1269
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I am curious as to how Gamilas intelligence managed a "They started it" for the war with Earth...since until Yamato, Earth had no FTL ships that we are aware of. (I still like the potental of having a few early Alcubierre drive ships being used prior to Yamato). The Gamilas would have to have had the first Earth ship they encountered fire on them (perhaps Shima's father's ship).

Also the warp Yamato attempt in Episode 10 was 63.7 parsecs, or over 207 and a half light years in one jump. (by the book, the best any Star Trek ship with a Warp Drive can do is about 22 light years a day, and they can't maintain those speeds for 24 hours. That would be Warp Factor 20 on the old scale and Warp 9.99 on the new scale.)

(Secondary Note: The fastest Warp Factor recorded was in an Animated Star Trek Episode called the "Counter-Clock Incident" (aired October 12, 1974 and was the last episode of the series. The only episode to be newly aired when Yamato was also new on TV)). An alien vessel was said to have a maximum speed of Warp 36 and it managed to tow Enterprise at Warp 22. Warp Factor 36 would allow a ship to travel over 127 light years a day. Yamato can still clearly out run most warp driven vessels with its Wave Motion Engine. But not in normal space.)

However, to make it to Iscandar and back in one Earth year, they need to make better than 920 light years a day. Or 283 parsecs a Day. And that will cut it close to 12 months. Maybe too close.

"Hurry Star Force" comes to mind.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-12-04 at 15:58.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 17:31   Link #1270
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Hear! Hear! Let's stick to the discussion of the show! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Aw damn, that was some of my best material.
I wouldn't start bragging about that...

Quote:
I am curious as to how Gamilas intelligence managed a "They started it" for the war with Earth...since until Yamato, Earth had no FTL ships that we are aware of.
It's simply propaganda to quell the populace of Gamilas and keep them behind the campaigns launched by Dessler; much in the same way Germany and Japan were manipulated by their war-mongering governments during WW2.

Quote:
There is no legit US release. It has been suggested that it is a Malaysian bootleg.
Oh, it is quite unlicensed.

Quote:
The Episode 10 Goer's Gamilas Fleet was interesting in their camouflage paint jobs.
That's a throwback to the original series; in pre-production designs, and first-run merchandizing, you can see the Gamilas ships with the same camo markings.

Quote:
Spoiler for Goer:
Spoiler for Goer:

Last edited by August138; 2012-12-04 at 18:05.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-04, 22:28   Link #1271
GundamFan0083

Quote:

As far as I can tell Yamato 2199 has not been licensed in the United States, or anywhere outside Japan. Probably because of the way it is currently distributed and the slow pacing of the series release. At the current expected rate, the series won't end until Fall of 2013 after 26 episodes (7 theatrical releases followed by BD releases). Either around that time, the summer before, or afterwards, the series is expected to be shown on TV (which is when the majority ofthe English language anime bloggers might pick it up, if they don't think it is old news or something).
Thank you Ithekro.
I appreciate the clarification.
If this show turns out to be as good as the original, I will certainly purchase the DVD set (not fond of blue ray myself).
Let's hope the show lives up to its reputation, so far it has IMHO, but I'm still going to wait and see.
Old 2012-12-08, 01:48   Link #1272
GundamFan0083

zenseava brings up some interesting points today about the engine room of the Yamato in 2199.
His observations about the size of the engineering section are given here.
http://lighthousezen.seesaa.net/

Here is his diagram:

His point does have merit. The size of the engine room is pretty darn cramped in the new show, which makes sense to a point.
I'm curious as to what the actual dimensions of the engine room are?
Old 2012-12-08, 02:00   Link #1273
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We see somewhat a cross-section of the ship in the engine room in Episode 7.

I like where the Recon craft dock. I wasn't expecting that location because I didn't think the sides of the blister would slide out (which is why I couldn't place the exact loction from the trailer).
Old 2012-12-08, 02:01   Link #1274
GundamFan0083

That was a really nice touch with the blister opening up.
Very cool indeed for the recon plane's hangar bay area.
Old 2012-12-08, 10:00   Link #1275
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Lets be honest. Space on a space ship is always going to be a preiumim. so things ARE gonna be rather tight in places.

Also, that's ALLOT of Jarheads and leathernecks in a can!

I'm not sure exactly HOW big this thing is, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could cram a tank battalion into it.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-12-08 at 10:45.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 13:29   Link #1276
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Dessler gave a fairly good speach (in Gamilas language). He's fairly good in this role, though I think I like him better when he's in charge of the fleet on the front lines.

He wasn't quite the old fashion stereotype villian that he came off as in the original this early on in the series. Though it was probably mostly from the speech and his awarding Schultz, his crew, and their familes for their heroic actions against Yamato.

Dessler seemed put out at first when his gas weapon failed, but seemed more at ease after the Wave Motion Gun fired and his soldiers died fighting. It might have been the wave motion gun that did it, since that would have been impressive even to Gamilas (since Talan mentioned that it looked like something they were working on still...meaning Yamato is more advanced than Gamilas ships...at least in some places).

One wonders if the Empire had once been a combined effort between Gamilas and Iscandar, judging by the wall relief of what looks like a Gamilas warrior god and a Iscandaian goddess, each holding their own planet in their outstreatched hand.

Things are different. Not only are we getting more from the Gamilas side of things, Yamato's crew dynamics are also different than before. It is the same, but different from the original. And that is a good thing.
Old 2012-12-08, 17:08   Link #1277
macdawson

One thing that is very different here is Kodai. He's really more mature here. Even if he is clueless with the ladies, his demeanour on duty is quite different from the original. Case in point: the meating with the Gamilon pilot. In the original he tried to stab the guy to avenge his family. Here, he puts his sidearm (or his brother's) on the tabble as a show of good will, after Melda calls him on bringing a gun to a negociation. I liked Melda, she seems to be an proud and honorable soldier (as was captain Lang), loved the line (to Yamamoto) "You're a pilot, right? (hands her Kodai's gun) We don't need this thing between us." This kind of forshadows they'll be facing each other in the skies (well, the preview of episode 11 also gives that away). I hope Melda survives, like the original pilot did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
His point does have merit. The size of the engine room is pretty darn cramped in the new show, which makes sense to a point.
Don't forget that, not only is space premium inside a ship, there's also the fact that the engine room is essencialy the axis for the Cosmo Falcons hangar elevators. Also, it's not that the engine room is cramped, it's also a matter of depiction. Y2199 tries to depict stuff with a basis in reality and scale, the original...not so much, every room seemed enormous, from the bridge to the engine room, from the mess hall to the corridors themselves. Based on those sets alone the Yamato would be gigantic. XD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 01:07   Link #1278
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I played the episodes at a friend's house. The one that was the Yamato fan liked most of it, but had trouble staying awake during Episode 9. It was a little too dull for him. The Robotech fan liked it as he enjoyed the new character dynamics and new touches in the show. Plus the tells for later in the series, as well as some other things.
Old 2012-12-12, 07:27   Link #1279
enrico7113

who knows what happens to the fat brown jacket person who gets drunk and makes the mistake of laughing during Desler toast ?

to Ithekro
I find your battle reports on other forums really interesting
I am a big fan of sbfbs
I think now with these new ships the game manual could change a little ...

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-12-12 at 13:11. Reason: Please edit your post and refrain from double posting...
enrico7113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 07:40   Link #1280
enrico7113

watching the mechanical files at the yamato 2199 official page I could not notice some strange similarities with german WW 2 airplanes
and I guess we will find more in the future
the first plane with a similar shape and name is the dwg 229 (the old devastator)
it reminds a lot the horten (gotha) 229
the ddg 110 interceptor has similarities with the messerchmit bf 110 a not so successful interceptor of ww2
the last one for the moment is the dwg 262 similar to the original messerchmit 262 initially fighter bomber later converted in fighter
and we still haven't seen the dive bombers on the carriers (one was exactly like the stuka)
enrico7113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato