AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-31, 17:34   Link #1661
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You're the one who has a problem with her going back to eat because there's a conspiracy afoot and a meeting planned.

You're being disingenuous.

Which makes it a good place, as such things go. Plenty of sequel hooks, but the conflicts that arose during S1 were resolved.
Sequel hooks don't mean much when the sales of the show are poor enough that a second season is very unlikely. I also don't believe in ending shows right after implying that big events are about to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Depends on how you define worse. Yes the Library is a plot device that gives her access to vast amounts of useful knowlage but she still had want to make a change and spend decades takeing the time to come up with a workable plan to end the war.
We never actually got to see her build the things she took from that knowledge. Also, there were the potatoes and the corn, where did she get those from?

Quote:
Indecations is that the winter nation is fairly young. Just because they are more applicable in that environment doesn't mean they will spring into existance the second someone setales the region.
How young, that nobody would realize that wind power would be more useful than water power in the region? Unless the place was freshly settled, that's unlikely.

Quote:
lets see.
ep 2 timeskip of a few weeks to month or so
ep 3 starts 3 months, nine days later, hero leaves on quest
ep 5 1 year after ep 3
ep 6 under a month from ep 5 winter
ep 7 unknown timeskip but it is the end of summer not likely to have been over a year. so 6 months?
ep 12 first snows of winter

unless there was a long skip between books it looks around 3 years max.
They had time to implement and test Maou's four-stage crop rotation, test out a new crop (potatoes), and find everything to be good. That would definitely take more than the two years cited. My guess of 10 years was an upper limit, but I would not believe less than the 3 years, and be comfortable with less than 5.

Quote:
Did you skip over the obious epilouge there and go right to the credits? It will take weeks to months to gather a meeting like that and its not like she can't be back there in seconds via teleport so she returned to where her friends and other plans are in the meantime.
Once again, that much is obvious. That doesn't excuse setting up plot hooks (which are unlikely to be resolved at all due to the low sales) at the last minute and then suddenly the main characters are relaxing like nothing's going to go down soon. If they hadn't set up those new plots and instead had the cast take a break since their current issues had been resolved, then I wouldn't be complaining like this.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC

Last edited by justsomeguy; 2013-03-31 at 17:47.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 17:54   Link #1662
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Sequel hooks don't mean much when the sales of the show are poor enough that a second season is very unlikely. I also don't believe in ending shows right after implying that big events are about to happen.
Yes, but the studios hardly ever think like that. As far as they're concerned, it's better to get people excited for a second season that never comes (including by hinting at big events) than it is to let viewers feel they can drop a series after one season even if a second one comes.

Besides, hinting at a continuing story encourages people to buy the print version, so they still win something even if there's no S2.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 19:20   Link #1663
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
So basically, the Outer Library is a plot device, and Maou is simply spreading it? That actually makes her sound like a worse character.
Calling something as a "plot device" is a clear sign that the guy really doesn't like the anime series. Take note that everything can be considered as a "thing that exists for the sake of the plot" to critics.

I'm quite disappointed by how the series was handled, but I would never look at a particular thing as a plot device.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 19:27   Link #1664
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Calling something as a "plot device" is a clear sign that the guy really doesn't like the anime series. Take note that everything can be considered as a "thing that exists for the sake of the plot" to critics.

I'm quite disappointed by how the series was handled, but I would never look at a particular thing as a plot device.
Not really. When I say something is a plot device, I usually refer to something that acts on the story without itself being explored within the story. R;N was full to the top with those. Yuusha's teleportation, or the disguise ring, are arguably plot devices, but I would not refer to them as such due to how they're used. As for Maoyuu itself, I always got the feeling that big things were about to happen (the only reason I made it to the end), but each and every time events turned out to be let downs.

Old 2013-03-31, 19:47   Link #1665
Somnus
Eh?

Having read the Kotowaru! manga beforehand, it's hard to say, "From and anime-only point of view, this is terrible." But I strongly believe that even without prior knowledge of this series my opinion wouldn't change. That being said, having read the manga it makes it even worse. Stick to the manga/LN, since I can't believe how badly they butchered this.

In the last episode alone all the jumping around was completely jarring, and knowing the source material, unbearably incomplete on all accounts. Which is probably the overarching complaint for the entire series. They chose to include everything, at the cost of developing none of it.
Old 2013-03-31, 20:04   Link #1666
GundamZZ
残念美人

I feel the anime is rushed in the last episode. However, it is not as bad as some people's feedback. Love Female Knight's "I gave it to him" confession. The most noticeable rushed part is all villains gather togetherand announce their intention. Other part has the quite acceptable pace. Think about the good part. The source material is not like War and Peace. It's not going on and on. If this anime drags on like Nar*to and Bl*ach, most people would bad mouth it and denounce the show. They may still keep on watching it, but the show is ruined. It's no longer interesting. This series is interesting from beginning to end. Every week, it brings out the anticipation. So, it's still a good show.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 20:33   Link #1667
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Not really. When I say something is a plot device, I usually refer to something that acts on the story without itself being explored within the story. R;N was full to the top with those. Yuusha's teleportation, or the disguise ring, are arguably plot devices, but I would not refer to them as such due to how they're used. As for Maoyuu itself, I always got the feeling that big things were about to happen (the only reason I made it to the end), but each and every time events turned out to be let downs.
They explore it a little in the anime and other media but not too deeply. The anime lets us know it contains all books past and futrue. Other media lets us know that only those of Maou's clan can enter, an early hint that mage is a demon, as well as it being the soruce of Head Maids awsome. She learned the Path of the Maid from books. Thats right she modled the idea of a maid off light novels. (the manga shows pictures of Kame no Maidguy, Roberta from Black lagoon and one other combat maid when she explained the combat ablity of maids)
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 20:52   Link #1668
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Well, I tend to think of things within the series' universe, thus "plot devices" are almost always never in my dictionary, unless it's a blatant deus ex machina that my suspension of disbelief is obliterated.

Wait, you feel that Yuusha's teleportation is a plot device when his powerful spells are not?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2013-03-31, 20:59   Link #1669
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Wait, you feel that Yuusha's teleportation is a plot device when his powerful spells are not?
No, to either of them. The only reason his teleportation can be argued as a plot device is because it facilitates his and Maou's travels, letting them get things done in multiple locations quickly while no other character in universe can. However, it's used often enough that it's more a feature than a device. And given that Yuusha is basically a lvl 99 character, that's even more acceptable.

Old 2013-03-31, 21:04   Link #1670
Newhope

They rushed quite a bit, lot's of the events especially in the last few episodes should have been fleshed out alot more and if they put some of the mages journey,hero looking for her and some of the 4 heroes back story this could easily been a 2 cours or more anime and looking at the sales for this series so far I think it would have done decently.

Saying that I had zero problems following the plot and enjoyed the anime alot, just glad they didn't go down the flashly manga route and went with the Light novel style.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 21:10   Link #1671
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
No, to either of them. The only reason his teleportation can be argued as a plot device is because it facilitates his and Maou's travels, letting them get things done in multiple locations quickly while no other character in universe can. However, it's used often enough that it's more a feature than a device. And given that Yuusha is basically a lvl 99 character, that's even more acceptable.
Ah, understood. It's really amusing how he once used Teleportation to jump across the room when Maou was chasing him.

Old 2013-04-01, 14:53   Link #1672
chaos_animagic

Someone should do a marathon and watch ep1 ~ 12 and write down all the time skips
(assumed, since some timeskip they did not mention - such as how long it took them to build the Church or spread scholar's ideas to the entire kingdom without any sort of long range communication device but by word only)

But I could have sworn I saw they mention at least 1 year for crop, 2 year for hero's quest... so that's already 3 years minimum.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 21:41   Link #1673
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
Someone should do a marathon and watch ep1 ~ 12 and write down all the time skips
(assumed, since some timeskip they did not mention - such as how long it took them to build the Church or spread scholar's ideas to the entire kingdom without any sort of long range communication device but by word only)

But I could have sworn I saw they mention at least 1 year for crop, 2 year for hero's quest... so that's already 3 years minimum.
Nope as i stated before
ep 2 containes a timeskip of a few months or so for Moau to start her school and ends right before the village agrees to her plans for crop rotation.

ep 3 starts 3 months, nine days later directly stated by Maou, no more then a day or 2 passes durring the ep, at the end hero leaves on his quest. (Maou states she and hero have been liveing togeather for 6 months at this point)

ep 5 about 1 year after ep 3, maou states she hasn't touched Hero in a year last time they met was when he left in ep 3. the mid winter celebration.

ep 6 under a month from ep 5, Hero give Maou this as the time limit to free gate city in ep 5. end of first book.

ep 7 starts after an unknown timeskip but it is the end of summer, not likely to have been over a year. so 6 months?

ep 12 first snows of winter of the same year.

Even 3 years is pushing it. It is likely 2 and a half years give or take 3 months.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2013-04-02, 15:32   Link #1674
chaos_animagic

so
few month = assumed 2~4 month
3 month
1 year = 12 month
1 month
6 month (summer)
6 month (winter)

that's estimated 30 month ~ 32 month (or 2.5 year)

Well, I'll find time and rewatch the series later, cause it feels like the time skip is longer.
Maybe it's an effect of almost a 1+ month time skip in every single episode...
(which is what we're not used to, since most series only have like 1 month time skip in one episode only in the entire series)
Old 2013-04-02, 15:40   Link #1675
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

If it helps, in the manga, the Demon Queen says in her speech she's been away for two years.
Old 2013-04-02, 17:37   Link #1676
chaos_animagic

yes, she says two year.

But however, we found out it's actually longer (see the assumed time skip, 2 year AND 6+ month)...

The 6+ month already broke her speech's assumed time.
So... who knows, the total time might actually be longer as right now it's only assumed, but not "exact confirmed" (being it only "looks" like what time it's skipping)
Not sure, kinda forgot, but I think Yuusha was still with Maou when they completed the 4 step crop (which takes 1 year MINIMUM). (this was before Hero left for 1+ year)
Old 2013-04-02, 17:50   Link #1677
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
yes, she says two year.

But however, we found out it's actually longer (see the assumed time skip, 2 year AND 6+ month)...

The 6+ month already broke her speech's assumed time.
So... who knows, the total time might actually be longer as right now it's only assumed, but not "exact confirmed" (being it only "looks" like what time it's skipping)
Not sure, kinda forgot, but I think Yuusha was still with Maou when they completed the 4 step crop (which takes 1 year MINIMUM). (this was before Hero left for 1+ year)
She may have rounded it down. But that still means less than three years.
Old 2013-04-02, 18:16   Link #1678
kagato3

Quote:
so
few month = assumed 2~4 month
3 month
1 year = 12 month
1 month
6 month (summer)
6 month (winter)

that's estimated 30 month ~ 32 month (or 2.5 year)

Well, I'll find time and rewatch the series later, cause it feels like the time skip is longer.
Maybe it's an effect of almost a 1+ month time skip in every single episode...
(which is what we're not used to, since most series only have like 1 month time skip in one episode only in the entire series)
closer to
assumed 2~4 months
3 months, 9 days (this time passage is confirmed) (Maou states she and Hero have lived together for 6 months at this point)
~1 year = ~12 months (may not be exact could be more or less)
~1 month (this is technically the most amount of time this could be)
6 months (late winter to late summer) (rough estimate only)
3 months (end of summer to start of winter(might even be less depending on climate of Winter Nation)
so it might be closer to 2.25 years
Old 2013-04-02, 22:10   Link #1679
chaos_animagic

I thought seasons goes by 3 months...

You skipped Fall/ Autumn....

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...

How did Summer turn Winter without going into Fall? (this by it self breaks Maou's 4 step plan...)
Old 2013-04-03, 07:17   Link #1680
kagato3

Quote:
I thought seasons goes by 3 months...

You skipped Fall/ Autumn....

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...

How did Summer turn Winter without going into Fall? (this by it self breaks Maou's 4 step plan...)

End of summer to first snows/start of winter so only the months of fall pass that is about 3 months.

All the time info but the timeskip in ep 2 was confrimed by statements in the anime. ep 3 is stated to be 6 months from the start of the series. Ep 5 is stated to be 1 year after Hero left durring the midwinter celeberation. Ep 6 is under a month from ep 5. Ep 7 starts at the end of summer and ep 12 happens durring the first snows / start of winter

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem