Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-27, 05:06   Link #2321
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Spoiler for Episode 16:
While Awai is zoned in against Shizu -- she may overlook Saki.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 08:59   Link #2322
atua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
If this anime happened in the real world, this would be the news report the next day:

Shiraitodai Suffers Unprecedented Collapse!
Achiga New Favorite to Win it All?
Hilarious report, Triple_R! Thanks for the laughs.
atua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 09:26   Link #2323
Archaeon

Quote:
The key to defeating Shiraitodai is clear - Just survive Teru, and you have a chance."
Subara deserves a lot of credit for this one. If this is like NBA, Subara should win Mahjong Defensive Player of the Year Award.
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 09:54   Link #2324
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
I hope people enjoyed reading this slightly satirical take on how the news media would be reporting on this match in the real world.
LOL great article RRR. Just make sure you stick around for Side B anime. You might get to write another one for us by that point.

Anyway, I would like to take this opportunity to discuss something I haven't covered back when final chapter of Achiga manga came out. At that time there were too many people shocking and raging about Shiraitodai losing to Achiga.

Why is Teru so stoic?
Yeah, I know being stoic can be interpret as part of her professional mannerism and all that, but near the end the captain match, it's obvious that Shiraitodai was on the verge of losing and she doesn't show any signs that she’s worried. Just a little flown might help, or maybe a line of interior monologue like when she shown her concern for Toki’s condition. It's like she doesn't care much even if her team loses.

Here are a few idea I've come up with to explain why.

1. She firmly believes that Awai will pull it off.
2. She's sick of her team winning all the time for the past two years after she joined, so she's like, don't care much about it anymore.
3. She cares more about the individual match than the team tournament
4. She secretly wants Awai to loose in the official match.

Actually, it's not just Teru, but I personally felt that Shiraitodai team as a whole doesn't seemed to invest as much emotion or possess as much drive and determination to win when compared to the other teams, any team you name it. Maybe because they are the champion, but come on now, where is the desire to defend the title of the strongest HS team in Japan, or is the title too much of a burden for the three new recruits to handle?

Another thing I would like to discuss about concerns Awai.

Where does the sources of Awai's overconfidence come from?

Personally I think it’s the case of big fish in the small pond. The pond is Shiraitodai. It’s undeniable that in Shiraitodai, no one can beat Awai except for Teru, thus, people (mostly students of Shiraitodai) starts calling her Teru’s successor. However this may not apply in the national level competition (the ocean) as mention briefly by Teru in this final episode that there are about 10 or so players who can top Awai’s double richi combo ability. Even so, Teru’s aloft disposition doesn’t help in keeping Awai’s already inflated ego in check. And there is also the fact that Awai is the only first year in the team. As the only first year, I believe she got spoiled a lot by her senpais, and not in a good way. But of course there is still Sumire, whom I believe is the most uptight person in the team, but even she can’t beat Awai so I don’t think Sumire has as much influence over Awai even if she wants to fix that cocky attitude of hers.

So what do you guys think?
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 19:07   Link #2325
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
Subara deserves a lot of credit for this one. If this is like NBA, Subara should win Mahjong Defensive Player of the Year Award.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atua View Post
Hilarious report, Triple_R! Thanks for the laughs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
LOL great article RRR. Just make sure you stick around for Side B anime. You might get to write another one for us by that point.
Glad you guys liked it! I'll definitely be sticking around for Side B anime.

Quote:

Why is Teru so stoic?
Yeah, I know being stoic can be interpret as part of her professional mannerism and all that, but near the end the captain match, it's obvious that Shiraitodai was on the verge of losing and she doesn't show any signs that she’s worried. Just a little flown might help, or maybe a line of interior monologue like when she shown her concern for Toki’s condition. It's like she doesn't care much even if her team loses.

Here are a few idea I've come up with to explain why.

1. She firmly believes that Awai will pull it off.
2. She's sick of her team winning all the time for the past two years after she joined, so she's like, don't care much about it anymore.
3. She cares more about the individual match than the team tournament
4. She secretly wants Awai to loose in the official match.
5. She's already done everything that could be reasonably expected of her. If they lose, nobody will blame her, that's for sure.

With a lot of professional sports players, if they know they've done their best, and if they know they've performed well, then they're more able to quietly accept defeat. It's much more painful for your team to lose if you yourself are part of the reason for the lost. Perhaps Teru would have been a bit shaken if she had badly underperformed, and given her team "only" a small lead instead of a massive one.

Alternate explanation: Teru is a bit dead inside. In her mind, she lost her family a long time ago, and she's never fully recuperated from that. Leading Shiraitodai is something Teru does, at least in part, in order to get over the perceived loss of her family. Deep down inside, Teru is still hurting from that lost. It's made her a bit numb to the world. Simply put, Teru needs Saki back.

Contributing factors: The Miyanaga siblings are very reserved people in general. It's worth noting that Saki herself often has this relaxed and "at ease" nature to her. Even when Saki made that massive comeback against Koromo, it wasn't like Saki started fistpumping for joy or loudly celebrating as one might expect her to do.

Quote:
Actually, it's not just Teru, but I personally felt that Shiraitodai team as a whole doesn't seemed to invest as much emotion or possess as much drive and determination to win when compared to the other teams, any team you name it.
The rest of Shiraitodai were victims of their overconfidence. I think most were stunned speechless by finishing 2nd. Awai, of course, was in tears.

I agree with you on Awai, by the way.
Old 2013-05-27, 20:54   Link #2326
Marina2

When Achiga won as 1st, I was hoping announcers would say something like: This is the first time that we see Shiratodai lost since Miyanaga Teru joined their team two years ago!. Too bad it didn't happend. XD

While it didn't mention in story, I bet Achiga's reputation (in story) will skyrocket after this match. They have changed from a no-name team with desperate wining chance to the dark horse team who beat champion school in the semi-final.

Last edited by Marina2; 2013-05-27 at 21:12.
Marina2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 04:37   Link #2327
Archaeon

Spoiler:

Right now, I really want to jump into this anime and give these two girls a hug.

The TANOSHII will continue next year. Can't wait. Ritz better finish the semi final so it can fit into Zenkoku,other wise,I'm going to piss off watching Zenkoku thanks to the spoiler at the end of Achiga hen.

Last edited by Archaeon; 2013-05-29 at 10:15.
Old 2013-05-28, 15:29   Link #2328
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Right now, I really want to jump into this anime and give these two girls a hug.
Considering how they've tried other alignments in the past -- per the discussion overheard by Subara~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2
While it didn't mention in story, I bet Achiga's reputation (in story) will skyrocket after this match.
The Cinderella Story.

Everyone among the press loves that kind of story.
Old 2013-05-29, 07:27   Link #2329
Archaeon

And Ryuuka need hug too.

Spoiler:
Old 2013-05-29, 15:28   Link #2330
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
And Ryuuka need hug too.

Spoiler:
Yea, I feel so bad for her. Going this far - especially after having seen Toki literally give everything to play out her games.

Oh the pain of it all. Just shows that mahjong isn't just about fun and games.
Old 2013-05-30, 06:14   Link #2331
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Oh the pain of it all. Just shows that mahjong isn't just about fun and games.
Saki: Mahjong is fun right?
Me: Only when you are the one who rape other players
Old 2013-05-30, 12:03   Link #2332
Archaeon

By the way, whose that girl? Is it Awai?

Spoiler:
Old 2013-05-30, 12:34   Link #2333
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:

Spoiler:
Well, yeah there is no mistake about it. I thought Shiraitodai's school uniform should be striking enough.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 14:29   Link #2334
The Green One

I was more wondering what she was doing there all by herself and when did she sneak in?
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 15:50   Link #2335
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:

Spoiler:
That's most definitely Awai -- with the series drumming up a new Shizu vs Awai rivalry. For MOAR drama!
Old 2013-05-31, 01:05   Link #2336
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
That's most definitely Awai -- with the series drumming up a new Shizu vs Awai rivalry. For MOAR drama!

Yup. Its Awai all right. Never noticed that they snuck a small preview of the Finals there.

Shizu vs Awai rivalry huh? Oh well. That's good...

Please enjoy your heated and hot blooded fight! Don't worry about the brown haired quiet girl seating right next to you. She's not dangerous at all. In fact, she's completely harmless. Honest!
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 02:44   Link #2337
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Please enjoy your heated and hot blooded fight! Don't worry about the brown haired quiet girl seating right next to you. She's not dangerous at all. In fact, she's completely harmless. Honest!
Can't wait for...

Spoiler:

Old 2013-05-31, 03:21   Link #2338
The Green One

Or we'll see a pissed off Awai fuming that her eternal rival Shizu is ignoring her to fight Saki.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 05:59   Link #2339
EroKing

NSFW
Nyantype
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-05-31, 08:04   Link #2340
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
NSFW
Nyantype
This looks official.
I'm not even going to try to use yuri goggles for this anymore.

Oh... I made a timeline of the National tournament using paint. I've tried to make it manga spoiler free as possible. Tell me what you guys think or if there is some correction.

Images

To those who wish to know why its arranged that way view the notes right here:
http://randomwalloftext.wordpress.co...higa-timeline/
Please note anime only watchers there are some manga spoilers if you follow that link.

Edited: Correction on the timeline. The seeded team should appear on the 5th day.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-31 at 12:51. Reason: Placed behind an image time because the image is too big
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri