AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-07-09, 14:23   Link #21
Kazu-kun

Trigger posted a survey on their facebook about the possibility of a dub version of LWA. This of course would cost money, which means less money for animation, and that's basically why they're asking, since this project's being funded by the fans.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-07-10 at 22:05. Reason: Discussion ABOUT the kickstarter campaign is fine, LINKS to it is not.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 14:28   Link #22
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Sometimes wishes do come true.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 14:34   Link #23
MogMoogle1
Idol Power!

I don't mind if they added a dub track, as long as it doesn't cut in to the quality of the end product. Yes, dubs are part of the production cost, but seeing how they are quickly exceeding their goal, I'm sure they will have enough funds left over for any extra stuff that may be included outside of making the anime itself. Having it would appeal to a larger audience, but also would prefer if the possibility of a dub be lower on the priority list, of course.
Old 2013-07-09, 15:07   Link #24
Bern-san

I don't know why people are so against a dub.
There's people who want to watch it with kids or people who have a hard time to catch up to the subs while watching it. I myself don't tend to like dubs but as long as you can still watch it with the original voices and subs I don't see a problem.
And don't tell me production costs because I think they can manage to earn sufficient to make a quality product plus the dub.
Old 2013-07-09, 15:21   Link #25
MogMoogle1
Idol Power!

Before this gets in to a dub/sub war, they mentioned cutting some content out of the first short due to limitations. I wonder if they plan on releasing a director's cut of some sort or leave it as is...
Old 2013-07-09, 20:53   Link #26
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Oh well, I voted "Yes" for dubs.
I don't really mind dubs. As long as they don't compromise the animation quality....
Old 2013-07-09, 21:09   Link #27
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This is one case where I think that a dub would be great. With a competent dub, I think LWA has great potential in North America and Europe.

LWA definitely has potential for all-ages/cross-cultural appeal, imo. I think loads of kids could really enjoy this show, and I doubt even the strictest of parents would mind their kids watching it.

LWA is honestly the sort of animation that I wish North America was still making. It reminds me a lot of the cartoons I loved as a kid.
Old 2013-07-09, 22:17   Link #28
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well they got the funds for 20min all ready but they mite get the green to make a 90min movie if the green keeps coming in but 35mins maybe a good start for a full series
Old 2013-07-09, 22:27   Link #29
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
I don't know why people are so against a dub.
There's people who want to watch it with kids or people who have a hard time to catch up to the subs while watching it. I myself don't tend to like dubs but as long as you can still watch it with the original voices and subs I don't see a problem.
And don't tell me production costs because I think they can manage to earn sufficient to make a quality product plus the dub.
See, what you don't understand is that this time, backers see it as THEIR money being spent. And to make a Dub means spending everyone's money making it. People don't just want a quality product, they want a quality product that is as long as it can be. Would you want a dub if it means forcing them to cut 5 minutes from the show itself?

Money is tight. And this time, people are literally invested. It is about giving investors value for what they gave, and dubs are wanted only by a minority.
Old 2013-07-09, 22:37   Link #30
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
See, what you don't understand is that this time, backers see it as THEIR money being spent. And to make a Dub means spending everyone's money making it. People don't just want a quality product, they want a quality product that is as long as it can be. Would you want a dub if it means forcing them to cut 5 minutes from the show itself?
Sure. 5 minutes less in exchange for reaching a far larger audience than what a sub alone could reach? Yeah, I'd be supportive of that trade-off. I think it's a small sacrifice for much larger potential gain.

The way some are talking about total time allotment for LWA2 leaves me a bit bewildered. Since when does longer = better? Longer might just mean a less tight plot, excessive fluff, and a very slow paced narrative. I would argue that part of what made LWA as good as it was is that the writers/animators were basically forced to make every scene count given the very limited run-time for the total project.

Also, it's important to note that most actual kids aren't going to bother with subbed entertainment. LWA could easily be a hit show with kids in North America and Europe, but only if its dubbed into a language that they regularly speak.

Quote:

Money is tight. And this time, people are literally invested. It is about giving investors value for what they gave, and dubs are wanted only by a minority.
It may be wanted only by a minority of those investing, but its wanted by the majority of certain potential audiences for this show.

If we really want what's best for LWA (and the long-term fortunes of Trigger), then we should want to have LWA dubbed, imo.
Old 2013-07-09, 22:42   Link #31
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Gonna be anal about this, but it's Little Witch Academia, not Academy.

Either way, went to the Studio Trigger panel at AX for LWA, and watching it again but with a room full of fans was awesome. I love when people get into it and cheer for the epic moments.

Will try to contribute for 2, but I spent so much at AX; I'll have to let that sink in a little before spending again.
Old 2013-07-09, 22:46   Link #32
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sure. 5 minutes less in exchange for reaching a far larger audience than what a sub alone could reach? Yeah, I'd be supportive of that trade-off. I think it's a small sacrifice for much larger potential gain.

What you don't seem to understand is that most actual kids aren't going to bother with subbed entertainment. LWA could easily be a hit show with kids in North America and Europe, but only if its dubbed into a language that they regularly speak.

It may be wanted only by a minority of those investing, but its wanted by the majority of certain potential audiences for this show.

If we really want what's best for LWA (and the long-term fortunes of Trigger), then we should want to have LWA dubbed, imo.
If those "potential audiences" want a dub, they can pay up. Until then, those who actually donated gets a say.

The people who gave money to KS don't benefit from high sale numbers. They aren't share holders. The only thing they are really getting out of it, is the episode itself. Thus, to spend money to make the show sell better is NOT the KS backer's priority.

KS backers are NOT shareholders. They are not being paid back with profits from the sales. They are paid back with the ANIMATION itself. Thus, to say it is okay to cut content in order to promote sales, is outrageous to most of the people who actually paid for it.

You want a dub? Start a kickstarter for the dub. Don't spend other people's money against their wishes.
Old 2013-07-09, 22:47   Link #33
neshru

Quote:
I don't think it works that way.
People paid for what they see right now on the site. Everything that comes with the stretch goals (for example the dub) is simply a plus, it won't affect what people paid for in the first place (+15 mins of animation), nor will it make those people pay more as a consequence.
If they decide to go with a dub as a stretch goal, the people that originally pledged won't lose anything from it.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 22:54   Link #34
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
I don't think it works that way.
People paid for what they see right now on the site. Everything that comes with the stretch goals (for example the dub) is simply a plus, it won't affect what people paid for in the first place (+15 mins of animation), nor will it make those people pay more as a consequence.
If they decide to go with a dub as a stretch goal, the people that originally pledged won't lose anything from it.
Watch the video they posted. They mention that the money they get would determine how long the final product would be. And the dub is not benefiting backers. Until the number of people wanting dubs change, they are a minority that can't be catered to to the detriment of everyone else.
Old 2013-07-09, 22:57   Link #35
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
If those "potential audiences" want a dub, they can pay up.
So you're expecting actual kids to pay into something like KS?

Quote:
The people who gave money to KS don't benefit from high sale numbers.
People who are donating to this are likely doing so because they loved the original LWA. So wouldn't they want to see LWA be as successful as possible?

I could understand concerns with a dub if we were talking about something distinctively Japanese, or something distinctively adult.

But LWA could be adapted into English, not have to change a single thing content-wise, and still be quite accessible to kids in North America and Europe. There's no reason to be worried about a 4Kids scenario here.

Honestly, I see huge potential here.

In my own country of Canada, I could see a dubbed LWA doing great and gaining loads and loads of kid fans, if it airs at a decent time-slot on YTV.

Quote:
Watch the video they posted. They mention that the money they get would determine how long the final product would be. And the dub is not benefiting backers. Until the number of people wanting dubs change, they are a minority that can't be catered to to the detriment of everyone else.
So you think that longer automatically equals better?
Old 2013-07-09, 23:02   Link #36
neshru

Quote:
Watch the video they posted. They mention that the money they get would determine how long the final product would be. And the dub is not benefiting backers.
Yes, more money could end up making the whole thing longer. But what you're paying for is 15 minutes of animation for the second LWA episode. Everything besides those 15 minutes is an added bonus. You may or may not like the type of bonus, but fact is you're not paying more for that bonus.
Adding a dub if they have the money for it won't affect in any way what you originally paid for. You can argue that the money for the dub could be better spent in other ways (like making the whole thing longer, or improving the animation quality), but that's besides the point.

Quote:
Until the number of people wanting dubs change, they are a minority that can't be catered to to the detriment of everyone else.
If more people think that the money should go into the actual animation and not the dub, then that's most likely what is gonna happen. Either way, it's not gonna affect what you've actually paid for.
Old 2013-07-09, 23:04   Link #37
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So you're expecting actual kids to pay into something like KS?
Yes. If they want it, pay up. If they don't, the money is spent on things the backers actually paid for.

Quote:
People who are donating to this are likely doing so because they loved the original LWA. So wouldn't they want to see LWA be as successful as possible?

I could understand concerns with a dub if we were talking about something distinctively Japanese, or something distinctively adult.

But LWA could be adapted into English, not have to change a single thing content-wise, and still be quite accessible to kids in North America and Europe. There's no reason to be worried about a 4Kids scenario here.

Honestly, I see huge potential here.

In my own country of Canada, I could see a dubbed LWA doing great and gaining loads and loads of kid fans, if it airs at a decent time-slot on YTV.
Being "successful" has nothing to do with backers. The backers don't get paid. he backers gave money to be offered a superior product, and you are suggesting siphoning that money away for something else.

Unless backers get a share of the profits, don't bother using marketing speak. Being "successful" only matter to shareholders. People who are being paid by a product, want the money to go towards the product ONLY. It is their money, they get to make the demands.

Quote:
Adding a dub if they have the money for it won't affect in any way what you originally paid for.
Yes it does. That isn't money for dubs. And all polls show that backers are against it. You are telling me you are okay with the studio ignoring the demands of the people who actually paid their money. That's arrogance.
Old 2013-07-09, 23:13   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Yes.
I can't believe you actually answered "Yes" to that question. Talk about being ridiculously unrealistic.

Vallen, fans tend to like it when properties they like do well. This is not for their own financial well-being, but out of a sincere love of the property and feeling a sense of joy over it doing well.

You don't think long-time Iron Man fans are giddy over how insanely well-selling the Iron Man movies have been? Of course they're pleased with that.

But if you want something a bit more pragmatic, consider this - If LWA goes really big in the west, then that will spur a lot more animation like it. Isn't that something that LWA fans should want?
Old 2013-07-09, 23:19   Link #39
neshru

Quote:
Yes it does. That isn't money for dubs.
Nope, you're wrong.

Here's what you are paying for, quoted directly from the site:
"if we can receive support through the Kickstarter program, we will be able to add 15 more minutes to the running time. The episode will be subtitled in 7 different languages."

15 minutes of hand drawn animation, subtitles in 7 languages. That's what you're paying for.
Everything else the studio decides to throw in if they get enough money for it is nothing but an added prize. What they asked for to deliver what they promised has already been covered. Whatever they decide to add won't change what you paid for in the first place.

At any rate, if the idea of a dub bothers you that much, you're still in time to cancel your pledge. They won't take your money until the campaign is over.
Old 2013-07-09, 23:24   Link #40
brocko

He ain't arguing about whether he wants a dub or not. It's the fact that this money ain't suppose to be going towards a dub in the first place.

No where on the kickstarter does it say that the money will go towards a dub.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote