Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-10-15, 17:31   Link #81
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
In fact here we noticed instead that they got the freakin' seats' fabric right.
I wasn't absolutely sure about that fabric pattern but I did notice it and thought "that looks accurate". The shape of the train window looks right too.

I'm really surprised they're still using slam-door carriages down south (I live in Scotland which uses sliding-door trainsets, except for steam excursions and the like and maybe sleepers).
Old 2017-10-15, 18:07   Link #82
Applehell

Now looking at it, is becoming a Sorcerer or Mage a choice? Or an in born talent? I've always automatically assumed the later, but story I don't think ever specifies.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 18:12   Link #83
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
In my experience, axolotl are synonymous with regeneration
In my almost surely older experience, axolotl are synonymous with Mad Magazine.

http://ecodevoevo.blogspot.com/2012/...-are-some.html
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 19:14   Link #84
Xical
Phantom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
In my experience, axolotl are synonymous with regeneration, but that's probably due to my science background, since axolotl are used to study tissue regeneration and transplant biology. We're starting to get really off topic now
Hahaha, even your reference from the point of medicine (mine from myths) is a foreshadowing.
Old 2017-10-15, 19:26   Link #85
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Now looking at it, is becoming a Sorcerer or Mage a choice? Or an in born talent? I've always automatically assumed the later, but story I don't think ever specifies.

It is. Chise was presented with a choice by Elias last episode on whether or not to become a mage and in this one she learned she can use magic. She has an in-born gift and the spirits like her, so she'll be a fine mage since she'll never be without help from the neighbors.

A Sorcerer...well, that comes up in maybe 2-3 episodes at the current rate.Can't really spoil the details.
Old 2017-10-15, 21:05   Link #86
grecefar

Well 2 chapters and I'm already loving it, elias is funny, looking foward to the next chapter, I'm surprise they already showing dragons.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 22:10   Link #87
scififan

Hmm... is the anime trying to dispel the myth, or the joke, that British can't cook. The foreign exchange students often recalled that they could only find beer and fish-n-chips in the local restaurants.

scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 22:31   Link #88
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Good to see Angelika making it very clear that Ainsworth’s behaviour is indeed as deplorable as sane people perceive it to be. Buying a teenage girl. Forcefully stripping the girl over the girl’s objections as soon as she is in his, the slave owner’s, house. Removing the visible shackles does not change that reality. Telling Chise he’ll make her his wife not soon after. None of that is acceptable behaviour and it is good to see there is at least one other in-universe character to confirm that those are indeed abnormal activities.

The replacement of his bare skull for a head with skin and hair did not change his face nor his character and Chise herself was quite right to tell the creep with his inflated ego that his comments and behaviour in human guise were indeed creepy to her there as well, in that moment. Ainsworth has some way to go before he convinces me that he is good company for her. The tool he bought for her abilities. He desperately wanted her and we don’t know on what information he arrived at the slave auctioneer's venue nor on what basis he came to the decision to buy her on the spot, but it is quite clear he does not know as much about Chise Hattori as that auction scene may have suggested. Perhaps Ainsworth's seeming omniscience is merely my impression but overestimating his knowledge of her is a false impression nevertheless. It is as much an illusion as his appearance with a human looking head makes him human or humane. He is neither. Better than is not the same as good.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 23:12   Link #89
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ah, I found my hook in this show (which honestly still is boring for me ). OP is done by no other than Junna. I don't know if I was paying attention last episode with the theme songs, but the moment the lyrics came this episode, I knew immediately it was her. I've seen worse shows where the OP/ED was the only thing keeping me going *cough*seed*cough*, so maybe I'll be able to finish this one. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 01:19   Link #90
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
Hmm... is the anime trying to dispel the myth, or the joke, that British can't cook. The foreign exchange students often recalled that they could only find beer and fish-n-chips in the local restaurants.

The myth isn't that they can't cook. It's that they can't cook anything that doesn't taste horrible. The French take snails or frogs and make tasty dishes out of them. The Brits take beef or pork and somehow contrive something disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
Good to see Angelika making it very clear that Ainsworth’s behaviour is indeed as deplorable as sane people perceive it to be. Buying a teenage girl. Forcefully stripping the girl over the girl’s objections as soon as she is in his, the slave owner’s, house. Removing the visible shackles does not change that reality. Telling Chise he’ll make her his wife not soon after. None of that is acceptable behaviour and it is good to see there is at least one other in-universe character to confirm that those are indeed abnormal activities.

The replacement of his bare skull for a head with skin and hair did not change his face nor his character and Chise herself was quite right to tell the creep with his inflated ego that his comments and behaviour in human guise were indeed creepy to her there as well, in that moment. Ainsworth has some way to go before he convinces me that he is good company for her. The tool he bought for her abilities. He desperately wanted her and we don’t know on what information he arrived at the slave auctioneer's venue nor on what basis he came to the decision to buy her on the spot, but it is quite clear he does not know as much about Chise Hattori as that auction scene may have suggested. Perhaps Ainsworth's seeming omniscience is merely my impression but overestimating his knowledge of her is a false impression nevertheless. It is as much an illusion as his appearance with a human looking head makes him human or humane. He is neither. Better than is not the same as good.
When did he ever look like he knew about Chise personally? He knows she's a Slay Vega (or Sleigh Boggy, maybe...) because that's what she was sold as. He never indicated he knew anything else.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 04:01   Link #91
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
When did he ever look like he knew about Chise personally? He knows she's a Slay Vega (or Sleigh Boggy, maybe...) because that's what she was sold as. He never indicated he knew anything else.
I had thought Ainsworth was on his way to the human trafficking venue with the purpose to buy her specifically. Thought he might therefore have done some prior research into her life and background through conventional means in addition to processing information gleaned through his supernatural means - but it is possible his brief moment on the podium during the bidding was his only appraisal of the merchandise up for sale and it is possible information gathered right then and there was limited in scope. The absence of prior knowledge of the girl’s life and her personality makes even more dubious his almost immediately expressed intention to make the girl he bought his wife.
Old 2017-10-16, 05:23   Link #92
Twi

Don't auctions put out a list of what they have for sell ahead of time. It's possible that he had that to see and decided to take her. And honesty, considering the first chapter took place in what amounts to a supernatural trafficking ring and she sold herself into slavery, he could have been so much worse.
Old 2017-10-16, 05:45   Link #93
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Don't auctions put out a list of what they have for sell ahead of time. It's possible that he had that to see and decided to take her. And honesty, considering the first chapter took place in what amounts to a supernatural trafficking ring and she sold herself into slavery, he could have been so much worse.
Better than is not the same as good. The time is also our present. The auction at which she is sold takes place in present day London. The idea that an underage young woman can consent to her own bondage and sale into slavery is abhorrent. - and so is the creature who buys her on those terms and conditions. To me anyway. Hereby stated.

Ainsworth isn't the only creature in the story whose actions and reactions seem to indicate they know more than what they're told.
Old 2017-10-16, 06:07   Link #94
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Better than is not the same as good. The time is also our present. The auction at which she is sold takes place in present day London. The idea that an underage young woman can consent to her own bondage and sale into slavery is abhorrent. - and so is the creature who buys her on those terms and conditions. To me anyway. Hereby stated.
The buying part in itself isn't so discomcerting - after all, if you had cash available, it would be the safest way to free someone. While you can argue that it will encourage the trade itself, it's not like if you don't have a SWAT team at your disposal you can just go in and bust a slavery ring. And even if Elias is a powerful mage, that auction was probably ran by other mages itself. Problem is, Elias doesn't necessarily seem to want to do that. Which is part of why he was scolded in this latest episode. I think the woman getting only mildly angry with him but not outright horrified is a reassuring signal however - as someone who knows him she probably feels safe about the fact that to all effects Chise will be treated as a guest/apprentice/adoptive daughter, not a slave. She's probably going to keep a leash on him and Elias seems to freakin' clueless as to all things human he probably does not have sex in mind (nor understands the concept altogether). So it's not an ideal situation but it's probably not as bad as it could have been. The priest knows too and has offered his support as well. If Chise ever wanted to run away and seek someone's protection it seems like she could do that, though it's questionable how much could they oppose a pissed off Elias if it came to that. We still don't know what the extent of his power is and whether he is inclined to use it if things don't go his way.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 09:10   Link #95
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I had thought Ainsworth was on his way to the human trafficking venue with the purpose to buy her specifically. Thought he might therefore have done some prior research into her life and background through conventional means in addition to processing information gleaned through his supernatural means - but it is possible his brief moment on the podium during the bidding was his only appraisal of the merchandise up for sale and it is possible information gathered right then and there was limited in scope. The absence of prior knowledge of the girl’s life and her personality makes even more dubious his almost immediately expressed intention to make the girl he bought his wife.
He knew she was a Slay Vega, and unlike Chise, he knows what a Slay Vega is. Neither of those are secrets in the magic community. If nothing else, the auction house has to advertise to get customers.

But did he know anything else about her? Did he even know her name?

Quote:

Ainsworth isn't the only creature in the story whose actions and reactions seem to indicate they know more than what they're told.
Not to excuse him, but Elias at least isn't human. From what we've seen, the guys running the auction house, and most of their clientele? They apparently are. The magic community obviously has different mores from the rest of us.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 10:04   Link #96
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Honestly, calling Chise a slave is kind of off the mark. Indentured servitude would be a better example. She technically signed a contract to enter into this arrangement. Even if her state of mind and reasons for doing so just meant she might just be choosing a slightly less bad situation over a worse situation, or so she may have seen it. Slaves don't have that option.
Old 2017-10-16, 11:30   Link #97
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I still haven't watched the OVAs but I'm definitely sold so far. Seiyuu cast is perfect honestly.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 20:18   Link #98
Top Sergeant

I am extremely pleased with this adaptation. Its really bringing the story vividly to life. More please!
Old 2017-10-17, 04:15   Link #99
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Honestly, calling Chise a slave is kind of off the mark. Indentured servitude would be a better example. She technically signed a contract to enter into this arrangement. Even if her state of mind and reasons for doing so just meant she might just be choosing a slightly less bad situation over a worse situation, or so she may have seen it. Slaves don't have that option.
It's still slavery, however close to for example what used to be debt slavery than the type seen in the Americas. Technically, she had a choice, but once she sold herself she stopped having one. If when we think of slavery we only think of US style slavery, then we have a rather partial view of the thing. There were slaves who sold themselves off, and slaves who lived relatively comfortable lives, but they were still slaves.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 05:28   Link #100
Twi

Mmm.... to be fair, I think that she basically sold herself into Slavery, but Elias has no interest in a slave. He wanted an apprentice with a rare talent and was willing to pay for it. And while he offers her choices, he didn't put her in chains, though Chise did state in Episode 1 that she believed she had no right to choose while sitting with him. She fully expected to be treated as a slave, since at that point the girl was... less than happy. She could even fathom her life being worth so much, which is worrying in itself.

But that was a magical black market auction. The auctioneer did say that no one would treat someone as rare as her badly, but those wolves with the muzzles and that mermaid in the tank probably weren't as lucky as she was. In a setting with magic, I bet they could have put her under a spell to be willing to do just about anything, so if it had been anyone other than Elias, she could have been so much worse off.