*Fansubber

Spoiler for epi13 nico ver changes:
Old 2013-12-31, 20:20   Link #1242
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Images
How many times Haruki?.gif
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Given how much detail was put into that little sequence, I'm surprised the "main event" itself had so few visuals put into it (and what we saw was heavily censored). Hitomi Nabatame has an extensive CV for eroge titles, so I'm further surprised as to why they didn't put her extensive experience in making (censored) noises to good use for this one (but very significant) scene, especially given how much dialogue was there in the game (or so I've heard).

It seems that the director couldn't get a "Nice Boat," so what we saw instead was a "Nice City," or more accurately, "Nice Minamisuetsugu in winter" (since Minamisuetsugu is the name of the we-swear-it's-totally-not-Tokyo city that WA2 takes place in). When it comes to objectionable content, Yosuga no Sora this show ain't, which is frankly too bad, since the anime adaptation of YnS proved beyond any doubt that better-written/depicted (censored) scenes in anime meant for broadcast TV can and do help rather than hurt an eroge-to-anime adaptation's reception and sales.

Come to think of it, how many characters of Hitomi Nabatame have ended up in (censored) scenes on broadcast TV (i.e., non-18+ productions)? The only one I can think of is from Episode 11 from "an anime that doesn't exist."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
To be frank I loved everything. I don't want to overuse the term, but I think Haruki and Touma's relationship was a deconstruction of sorts in showing the kind of mess that can result from a tsundere and clueless male lead that takes the tsun at face value.
Haruki never seemed to be the kind of person who could take a hint in the anime. Why would he pick up on the signs Kazusa was giving him when she was one to, quite literally, kick him out of her private music room in Houjou Gakuen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I have to say though, that sex scene was pretty damn narmy. I mean I thought it was a very tender moment for the first minute, but then it just kept going on and on and after the third minute I was starting to wonder if they were going to (not)show the whole thing.
After YnS aired, I must say that this one was very disappointing by comparison. You go to all the previous lengths to show Touma's and Haruki's passion for each other, and then you skimp on the "high point"? As for "tender," they certainly didn't show it through dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The show was certainly basically for guys, and did not focus on the two genders equally. A show where two girls are after one guy is a standard set-up in a show for guys, even if this one was done so much better than others. But that doesn't mean everyone can't enjoy it, as everyone can enjoy a shoujo romance.
I'm confused by what you're saying; the story of WA2 was written by a man, after all. Were you expecting something different if it was aimed towards female viewers (like maybe the standard otome game setup of multiple men competing for one woman's attention, which is somewhat more realistic)?

Quote:
In this last episode, I did not fault Haruki for crying, but I did fault seiyuu Mizushima Takahiro for the way he cried. Didn't reach me.
I have to wonder whether Takahiro Mizushima put any elements of Rolo Lamperouge from Code Geass in his performance as Haruki. Come to think of it, I also wonder if Takahiro Sakurai (who played Suzaku from Code Geass) would have made a better Haruki. Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch's seiyuu from CG) has done work for Leaf (the parent company behind WA2) before as well, but I doubt he would have made (censored) noises for WA2.

Quote:
Saying Setsuna is a bit crazy makes sense to me. But I don't see her as more crazy than a lot of us. She followed her feelings and made her move for Haruki. Taking him out to the airport seemed less something natural than something designed for drama, but maybe she either (a) wanted to pry Haruki and Touma apart a bit by making them have an awkward farewell, or (b) hoped she could bring everybody together again, by showing she accepted the situation. Her name sounds like the word for suffering, setsunai (but is written differently).
I could never see just what she was attracted to in Haruki; can anyone fill me in on this? We're supposed to believe that she would go through hell and high water for his heart but on such little basis?

Quote:
Anyway, brilliantly storyboarded/directed, and with an outstanding performance from Nabatame Hitomi (Touma). Bring on season two.
Yes, please. I'm also looking forward to Yuu Asakawa's performance as Mari in CC as well. Then again, I'm also intrigued as to how she would have done Kazusa's lines (assuming she auditioned for that part).

Oh, and I find it interesting that Touma stole Haruki's buttons after their "encounter." I wonder if that was an intentional inversion by Maruto of the trope that "men steal women's underwear from the women they've slept with."
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 20:52   Link #1243
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I just hope Haruki doesn't blow it with Setsuna, that girl is simply clinging on to him and any guy would just go for it.

I mean the guy lost the girl he loved, but it doesn't mean that he can't fall in love with another one ever again. He could eventually fall in love with Setsuna if he gives her another chance.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 21:02   Link #1244
Tenzen12

If he does it in this order he would just prove he didn't learn his lesson. Opposite is correct. First fall in love THEN give another chance.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 21:09   Link #1245
bones

Well, him falling in love with Setsuna is never going to happen.
bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 08:01   Link #1246
Lyase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
I just hope Haruki doesn't blow it with Setsuna, that girl is simply clinging on to him and any guy would just go for it.

I mean the guy lost the girl he loved, but it doesn't mean that he can't fall in love with another one ever again. He could eventually fall in love with Setsuna if he gives her another chance.
Do u read twinkle snow? Without Setsuna interference Haruki will confess Kazusa and they will be lovers.

Last edited by Lyase; 2014-01-01 at 08:22.
Lyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 08:17   Link #1247
Tenzen12

I wonder about that, they seemed quited ok with their Status Quo...
Old 2014-01-01, 08:27   Link #1248
Key Board
Carbon

It's better to take game material discussion to the game thread.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 08:30   Link #1249
Tenzen12

So far this is anime discussion only.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-01-01 at 08:49.
Old 2014-01-01, 08:42   Link #1250
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I'm confused by what you're saying; the story of WA2 was written by a man, after all. Were you expecting something different if it was aimed towards female viewers (like maybe the standard otome game setup of multiple men competing for one woman's attention, which is somewhat more realistic)?
Kaoru’s comment is pretty clear tbh: She knows this show is basically targeted for male audience. She knows what to expect and can still enjoy it.

Quote:
I could never see just what she was attracted to in Haruki; can anyone fill me in on this? We're supposed to believe that she would go through hell and high water for his heart but on such little basis?
Sometimes, love doesn't make sense. Sometimes, all you need is to get to know each other and a certain spark. It will be easier if the one you’re fallen for is easy for the eyes, kind, and somewhat reliable (in certain areas) like Haruki. Not to mention Haruki is one of the rare people who (tried to) understand Setsuna and slowly guiding her to “come out of her shell” & be more open to others (getting even more friends in the process). So, given their interactions, Setsuna fallen for Haruki feels pretty natural. At least that's what I get from the anime (non-game player here).
Old 2014-01-01, 09:17   Link #1251
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Kaoru’s comment is pretty clear tbh: She knows this show is basically targeted for male audience. She knows what to expect and can still enjoy it.

Sometimes, love doesn't make sense. Sometimes, all you need is to get to know each other and a certain spark.
not true my friend. Love only does not make sense cause people do not want to make/nor cannot make any sense of it. I'll go w/ the latter. Same w/ happiness. Both emotions while can be determined; but doesn't have the grounds like let's say revenge and hate that we can easily understand. No, i'm not saying you are wong; just that is just hard to determine what's what. Especially in these kind of situtations (WA2).
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 09:32   Link #1252
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
not true my friend. Love only does not make sense cause people do not want to make/nor cannot make any sense of it. I'll go w/ the latter. Same w/ happiness. Both emotions while can be determined; but doesn't have the grounds like let's say revenge and hate that we can easily understand. No, i'm not saying you are wong; just that is just hard to determine what's what. Especially in these kind of situtations (WA2).
The bolded lines are kinda contradictory, don’t you think?

If your point is “love is hard to understand” then that’s pretty much what I said in my previous post. I only provided some factors that can possibly “trigger” Setsuna’s feelings towards Haruki, like him being kind and whatnot.
Old 2014-01-01, 12:35   Link #1253
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Whoa. What an episode. I didn't expect Touma to stay or anything but I expected a little more closure or at least us seeing them settle things and say good bye.

I did LOL at Touma apologizing to Setsuna before kissing her boyfriend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I opt to respectfully disagree with serenade_beta. Presenting the story "thread-wise" instead of chronologically enabled us to see what all characters saw (and did NOT see). This was not "weird", this was brilliant. Because otherwise I am 100% sure that the board would have been full of "aw goodness why is the male lead so dense" postings. Instead, we got the story from the POV of all three characters, presented in a way that made all of them "real" and likeable.

I have to agree that the lack of budget was noticeable at some spots, but I still liked the art. The music was awesome and seamlessly woven into the story, and the script was impeccable.

For fans of character-driven noncomedy romance shows, WA2 was an absolute treat, and a new entry on my "full recommendation" list.

9/10 from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
progression wise, i love the way they presented everything. had they unfolded events in a different way, it probably wouldn't have been nearly as good. this is probably my favorite romance anime in 5+ years, if not ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i'm 100% sure if they had presented the story differently, i (and probably many others) would not speak of as highly as we are.
Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. The way they did this was perfect. It made us like the characters and gave us a big "game changing" episode to make us all look again at everything. Definitely a great series.
Old 2014-01-01, 15:56   Link #1254
Arya

Quote:
Given how much detail was put into that little sequence, I'm surprised the "main event" itself had so few visuals put into it (and what we saw was heavily censored). Hitomi Nabatame has an extensive CV for eroge titles, so I'm further surprised as to why they didn't put her extensive experience in making (censored) noises to good use for this one (but very significant) scene, especially given how much dialogue was there in the game (or so I've heard).
Honestly, the choice to avoid any noises or dialogues from the scene has been for the best. I guess that the beauty of that scene was enhanced by the absence of any of the above. I say that it would have destroyed it transforming it into something else.
I mean, pleasure was the very last thing they wanted and were looking for, and all the power words they had to say had been already told. Dawnstorm hit the nail on the head, they needed to live each other and that was the way they did it. No, that was the only way they could do it. And the silence let feel the passion and the pain all together. At least, I felt it. I agree with her/him that it was really painful watching them. And for once I'm happy that the writer decided to go that far.

In retrospect I don't know if I'd say it was a love-triangle story, but instead a love story. And I have to agree that the narrative technique, despite I was not fully convinced at first, was the only way to deliver all that without ruin it. (And probably what made this thread the heaven for the moderators ).

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 16:19   Link #1255
ginger02

I hadn't watched any episodes of this show since around episode 6 or 7 and then saw episode 13, thinking it was the halfway point. Question, was it actually the last episode?
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 16:39   Link #1256
Ringil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
I hadn't watched any episodes of this show since around episode 6 or 7 and then saw episode 13, thinking it was the halfway point. Question, was it actually the last episode?
Yes, unless a new season gets announced.
Ringil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 16:41   Link #1257
Tenzen12

I hope not, from what I heard it is real trainwreck and I don' t wanna destroy this very good anime by stupid sequel.
Old 2014-01-01, 18:15   Link #1258
bones

I think of it more like in order to put everything right again, you have to take it apart and put it back together
bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 23:58   Link #1259
justsomeguy

Wow, single best show of fall 2013. Three extremely likable, well-developed characters, and a love triangle that actually felt real. As well as tears and apologies all around when everything collapsed, unlike what happened 20 years ago with that awful Touya. The music was phenomenal, and loved the covers of the original songs. I had no problems with the art/animation, it did a great job in conveying the story.

Score: 10/10. I really hope that CC gets animated, because I need to know what happens to the characters. The situation in the final episode was almost tragic, and the trio deserves happiness, or at least some kind of closure.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 00:23   Link #1260
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, i never really noticed that many animation problems. only like the hands seemed off in some scenes. haha. but in all seriousness, i'm legitimately shocked that the writer managed to string episodes 10 - 13 together. they were all 10/10. i can't think of another series that hits a high and stays there like that.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, love triangle, musical