AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-03-29, 23:29   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Playstation 4

Quote:
While the official reveal of Sony's next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3's successor.

For one, the console's name—or at least its codename/working title—is apparently Orbis. And it's being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season.
The former, that's largely something we've heard before, but the latter is interesting. That's the name given to many of AMD's 2012 roster of high-end PC cards. The PS4's GPU in particular, we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, which is far in excess of the needs of most current HDTV sets. It'll also be capable of playing 3D games in 1080p (the PS3 could only safely manage 3D at 720p).
Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.
we've heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-p...e-the-details/

it is my imagination or does game companies think their consumers are sheep?
Old 2012-03-30, 01:39   Link #2
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

In other words your console MUST be connected to the internet or have internet connection to play games?

This might run some smaller game shops that specialize in game trading out of business. Even gamestop/etc might be affected.

Anything to kill piracy+2nd hand market I guess.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 01:46   Link #3
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's a rumor and Kotaku is spinning it into fact just for ad revenue.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 01:48   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Gamestop will retaliate against this furiously if it makes it to market with anti-used game protection.

The death of the game console may come sooner than I had originally anticipated...
Old 2012-03-30, 01:55   Link #5
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The death of gaming consoles would pretty much mean the death of the gaming industry itself. I'm sorry but I can't believe the PC alone will suffice at this point of time. I have serious doubts that such a thing will happen regardless though since video gaming has become such a mainstream activity since around the late 90's.

Anyway, don't have much to say on the topic of a new Sony console at the moment. If it's not a 100% legit reveal directly from Sony themselves then there's not much point in complaining or worrying about it right now. A news site like Kotaku claiming to have legitimately received that information from the source with no proof to back it up isn't entirely trustworthy.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-03-30 at 02:12.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 02:04   Link #6
Pokaru

The news is completely unreliable as it's all made up of rumors and what kotaku writers heard about. I agree with SilverSyko that until Sony make an announcement, everything is just speculations.
Pokaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 02:06   Link #7
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Well, taking the rumours at face value, that's both PS and XBOX consoles now that are slated to be download only/anti-used game systems. The used game market makes up a fair large chunk of business for Gamestop, EB and the like. It might not kill them, but it will hurt them, it may mean an increase in retail price but that will be more or less controlled by whatever they end up charging via the download method (which will probably be the same as it is now, the jerkwads). They might refuse to stock physical copies of the game, but I really don't see how that would help their cause other then to isolate themselves.

Really though, if we're getting them straight from the publishers via PSN or whatever, the prices should be cheaper then they are now since they are cutting out the middleman to sell the things almost.

Anyways, I'll believe it when I see it.

If it did 'kill' Gamestop/EB/etc, could they take MS and Sony to court for hostile business practices or something?
Old 2012-03-30, 02:07   Link #8
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
All this really means is that the Wii U and PC will thrive, while the PS4 and Xbox Will simply lose business.... seeing as this basically removes renting games, lending them out, or even buying used copies anymore (basically).

My thoughts would be to another Gaming Depression, just like waaaay back in the day.
Old 2012-03-30, 02:09   Link #9
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

WiiU uses Origin, last I heard.

Glory to the PC and it's eternal endurance.
Old 2012-03-30, 02:13   Link #10
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
The death of gaming consoles would pretty much mean the death of the gaming industry itself. I'm sorry but I can't believe the PC alone will suffice. I have serious doubts that such a thing will happen regardless though since video gaming has become such a mainstream activity since around the late 90's.
Bah, if worst comes to worst and these consoles crash and burn, devs can just continue to develop for the existing consoles.

And if focus reshifts to the PC, maybe developers will focus less on high-end graphics to increase their potential customer base? Who knows. There's a million solutions and consequences to this possible move, not all of them bad. A crashing and burning of consoles might wake up publishers that there's a limit to how far they can push their customers, and that they're rapdily crashing into it.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 02:22   Link #11
Sides

The only thing that is legit in that article is that sony is using the codename Orbis for some kind of project. I do kind of wonder how game "journalist" can pull out so much jibber jabber from so little.
Sony have been doing DRM stuff for a long time, I mean they do have Sony DADC, so the usage of securom would not surprise me at all, if it is used in sony's next home console. Considering that console OS have become more sophisticated this gen, next gen could be hell for some consumers. That seeing how successful the vita is shifting games via PSN/SEN, I don't think sony needs to be bothered too much by game retailers, either stock it or don't, gamers will get to play the games either way.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 02:34   Link #12
AdamEndless9
Straight-Edge Dragon Hero

It's just a rumor from Kotaku. But the money from used games doesn't go to developers to make more games. Revenue from anything bought used doesn't go to the original creators only the retailers.
Old 2012-03-30, 04:29   Link #13
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Regardless of the truth of this rumor, I just wish devs and publishers would go after the actual problem: The prices of their games and the retail stores themselves.
Old 2012-03-30, 04:33   Link #14
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEndless9 View Post
It's just a rumor from Kotaku. But the money from used games doesn't go to developers to make more games. Revenue from anything bought used doesn't go to the original creators only the retailers.
But does this matter? Any one disk is only sold once. The publishers already got the money from that one, specific disk. There isn't any sort of loss of revenue involved here, only that a consumer might wish to buy that already-purchased disk from its present owner, which is their right, as a consumer. And yet, publishers behave as though this is as bad or worse than piracy. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Regardless of the truth of this rumor, I just wish devs and publishers would go after the actual problem: The prices of their games and the retail stores themselves.
There wouldn't be a used game market if people didn't sell their games back to retailers after completing them. The actual problem is that games today are, for whatever reason, not considered worth keeping.
Old 2012-03-30, 04:50   Link #15
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
There wouldn't be a used game market if people didn't sell their games back to retailers after completing them. The actual problem is that games today are, for whatever reason, not considered worth keeping.
There's always been a used game market, it just grew in scale alongside the industry itself.
Old 2012-03-30, 05:06   Link #16
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
There's always been a used game market, it just grew in scale alongside the industry itself.
Exactly. So why complain now?

If it's because overadvertised overbudgeted games aren't selling as much as they need to, is there a problem with consumers, or a problem with the way games today are made?
Old 2012-03-30, 08:39   Link #17
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
In other words your console MUST be connected to the internet or have internet connection to play games?
The rumor, as presented, would either be Steam-like (must be constantly connected), or "product registering" format, where you have to connect once to register it and then it's fine offline. Either way, it's basically just a hardwired version of what a lot of companies are already doing with their online passes, just taken to the next level. Personally, I don't plan on giving my money to any game/console that engages in this practice. Online should be extra, not mandatory.

Quote:
This might run some smaller game shops that specialize in game trading out of business. Even gamestop/etc might be affected.

Anything to kill piracy+2nd hand market I guess.
Yeah, smaller shops are just collateral to get rid of Gamestop/Best Buy/Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Gamestop will retaliate against this furiously if it makes it to market with anti-used game protection.

The death of the game console may come sooner than I had originally anticipated...
There's still Nintendo. Thus far, there's been no word of anything even close to this on the WiiU. Granted it's graphically "this gen", but really how much better can graphics get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Really though, if we're getting them straight from the publishers via PSN or whatever, the prices should be cheaper then they are now since they are cutting out the middleman to sell the things almost.
You can already do that on some games. You save $5, maybe $10 if you're lucky. Certainly not the difference between physical and digital media, not by far.

Quote:
Exactly. So why complain now?

If it's because overadvertised overbudgeted games aren't selling as much as they need to, is there a problem with consumers, or a problem with the way games today are made?
Most compelling quote I've read about it was that people will buy the game on day 1, and then sell it back by day 7. Then, those who waited a week can buy it used and the companies are already losing money from potential sales.

Honestly, this whole situation was fine until Best Buy joined the used-game market. The industry should've struck before that happened and refused to sell their games to Gamestop in the first place, turning them into only a used game shop. This would've made Best Buy think twice, and we wouldn't have the problems we have now.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 08:45   Link #18
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
But does this matter? Any one disk is only sold once. The publishers already got the money from that one, specific disk. There isn't any sort of loss of revenue involved here, only that a consumer might wish to buy that already-purchased disk from its present owner, which is their right, as a consumer. And yet, publishers behave as though this is as bad or worse than piracy. Why?
If I buy used, I'm not buying new. So the developer is not making money from the used sale that could have been a new sale if the used wasn't available. It may as well be piracy to them, because the potential customer is able to play the game without profit going to the people who made it.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if the rumors were true. As DLC and digital downloads and their supporting programs (Steam, Live, Origin, etc.) have become more prevalent, developers have been looking for ways to subsidize the ridiculous development budgets with a constant stream of revenue. The ultimate goal is the same as any other media company - the content you, the consumer, access is effectively a "rental". You're paying real money for digital products. That's okay for vanity, but not for content (new levels, maps, stories, etc.).

However if they can be complete gatekeepers, they can nip piracy and the used market in the bud. This lets them get away with charging silly prices for outdated content (like old emulated games) and collaborate with other media companies for their revenue bases. Essentially it's nothing more than another variation of their original market goal: one machine to rule them all.
Old 2012-03-30, 09:37   Link #19
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
However if they can be complete gatekeepers, they can nip piracy and the used market in the bud. This lets them get away with charging silly prices for outdated content (like old emulated games) and collaborate with other media companies for their revenue bases. Essentially it's nothing more than another variation of their original market goal: one machine to rule them all.
Looks like they are not playing Neptune MKII and getting the Bad End.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-30, 09:56   Link #20
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I have a lot of doubts simply because I still don't think Sony is that stupid. Now I'm not 100% on that since some really dumb and annoying things has happened. I just think after not exactly winning this current age it would be rather stupid to shoot themselves in the foot like this.

You really could just hurt the sales since being locked in means the only thing you can do with a bad game is throw it out the window. I hope it's not true, but if it is the last hope may be with Nintendo. Well that and just polishing off my PS2 and pretending consoles died out years ago .

Another annoying part of the speculation is killing backwards compatibility from the start. Is there something wrong with wanting to just have one system for the ton of games that have accumulated? Especially if you play from the multiple consoles out there, room is just going to get limited. At least start out with it so I can hang onto that original system with all I've got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEndless9 View Post
The only problem I have with this is that it's not like they can't eventually get some money from those customers though. If someone buys a game in a series used there is nothing stopping them from buying the other games new and getting the money that way. The whole rental industry gave people a taste for a game so they could decide whether it was worth getting or not. Killing all those potential sales to lock people in and remove any re-sale value just doesn't work in my mind.