AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-04, 23:18   Link #21
Nosauz

well the difference with planetarian and tomoyo after is that tomoyo after clashes with what is canon in clannad, and to a fan who felt tomoyo after was not as great of a work as clannad was, having the question of canon come up is a little frustrationg, its like saying turkey is less like turkey than chicken. if that made any sense.
Old 2009-03-04, 23:37   Link #22
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I can see the one for planetarian but for Tomoyo After it should be OVA's if anything. If they do Planetarian would they trya nd do the other routes on the drama CDs?
Old 2009-03-05, 01:16   Link #23
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
wasn't this basically a "we know everybody didn't love jun maeda's script so those that want to make a game not featuring nagisa do it" kind thing? I mean for me at least I just felt it was probably doujinshi quality, compared to what the original clannad team did, but then again I could be totally wrong.
Quote:
well the difference with planetarian and tomoyo after is that tomoyo after clashes with what is canon in clannad, and to a fan who felt tomoyo after was not as great of a work as clannad was, having the question of canon come up is a little frustrationg, its like saying turkey is less like turkey than chicken. if that made any sense.
Uh. Maeda DID write Tomoyo After.

I did always feel it was sort of a "Take That!" to people who didn't like the Nagisa scenario, given TA's ending, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Well, Planetarian was also not out of the hands of Maeda, so in itself Tomoyo After isn't a unique exception. (Then again, that might have contributed to Planetarian being the most depressing work by Key...)
From what I've heard of both TA and Planetarian... TA sounds much more depressing.

Still gotta play Planetarian though. How long is the game, anyway?
Old 2009-03-05, 01:22   Link #24
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Still gotta play Planetarian though. How long is the game, anyway?
It's been a year since I last played planetarian. I think it took me 4 hours to finish the whole novel.
Old 2009-03-05, 01:27   Link #25
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Ha. I should probably burn an afternoon on it then.
Old 2009-03-05, 01:31   Link #26
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
wasn't this basically a "we know everybody didn't love jun maeda's script so those that want to make a game not featuring nagisa do it" kind thing? I mean for me at least I just felt it was probably doujinshi quality, compared to what the original clannad team did, but then again I could be totally wrong.
No it's the other way around. Jun Maeda wanted to write something that he wants to write instead of what the company wanted ie so he doesn't have to take sales and fan preference into consideration, and after Clannad he ask the boss and got the go ahead and hence wrote Tomoyo After. And Tomoyo After is no way "doujinshi quality", it is basically as long as the Clannad After Story, and combined with the Tomoyo arc from Clannad forms just as complete of a story about life (though a completely opposite take on it) as Nagisa's route in Clannad.

Tomoyo After is Maeda Jun's rawest emotional piece of work to date. If you really want to see how his brain ticks, that's the game to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
I did always feel it was sort of a "Take That!" to people who didn't like the Nagisa scenario, given TA's ending, though...
No, compared with Tomoyo After that's just commercial interest rearing its ugly head in Clannad. They requested Maeda Jun to write a fairly standard anime-type mircale happy ending to Clannad, which apparently Maeda Jun never took a particular liking to - he had expressed his distaste in the "somehow through lots of hardwork everything works out in the end" type of cheap miricales in the stories. TA is what he really feels that people should learn and he was able to express it without the restrictions. There's no "reaction" motivation in TA on how Clannad was received.

It's really trivialising the message in TA if all you can see is the "depressing" part, there's some serious lessons in life to be learnt in TA, more so than Clannad. Clannad still has too many elements of escaptist fantasy in it like previous Key work, whereas TA toss them out the window. In terms otf maturity and meaning I rate TA over Clannad anyday.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2009-03-05 at 01:42.
Old 2009-03-05, 01:32   Link #27
Nosauz

Quote:
Uh. Maeda DID write Tomoyo After.

well all I know is that the team that did work on clannad was not there to work on ta, that's just the impression I got. So my point would be how would put in terms of canon in the clannad world. k thanks, I got it flipped around. yea i'll definitely check this out after I clear some of the games I've started already.
Old 2009-03-05, 01:33   Link #28
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I understand Planetarian is a sadder story than AIR. But it is a Key product. Sad is expected.

As for Tomoyo After...as a movie...I don't know. It won't exactly be Clannad, but then it really isn't...it is a seperate game entirely.
Also don't Tomoyo and Tomoya get rather um physical in TA?
Old 2009-03-05, 01:38   Link #29
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

So it will be like the oav with Tomoya x Tomoyo except it will last in 60 minutes right .
Old 2009-03-05, 01:45   Link #30
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Tomoyo After is Maeda Jun's rawest emotional piece of work to date. If you really want to see how his brain ticks, that's the game to play.
...I still think it really feels like a troll ending.

Sure it's sad and emotional and all, but it just feels so pointless and MEAN.

Sort of saying "Here's what happens when he DOESN'T pick Nagisa. Now stop bitching."

...Maybe we can finally get a female lead that no one complains about with Rin Natsume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I understand Planetarian is a sadder story than AIR. But it is a Key product. Sad is expected.
About the only thing that's amusing is that Daisuke Ono is the male lead. AGAIN.

Quote:
Also don't Tomoyo and Tomoya get rather um physical in TA?
Be glad it's a movie then.

Quote:
It's really trivialising the message in TA if all you can see is the "depressing" part, there's some serious lessons in life to be learnt in TA, more so than Clannad. Clannad still has too many elements of escaptist fantasy in it like previous Key work, whereas TA toss them out the window. In terms otf maturity and meaning I rate TA over Clannad anyday.
Spoiler for TA:

Quote:
well all I know is that the team that did work on clannad was not there to work on ta, that's just the impression I got. So my point would be how would put in terms of canon in the clannad world. k thanks, I got it flipped around. yea i'll definitely check this out after I clear some of the games I've started already.
Clannad operates on parallel universes and stuff like that. There's no true 'canon'.
Old 2009-03-05, 01:48   Link #31
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I do hope they come up with another voice for the main male character in "Little Busters"...otherwise the voice actress is going to be talking to herself alot.
Old 2009-03-05, 01:51   Link #32
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
They requested Maeda Jun to write a fairly standard anime-type mircale happy ending to Clannad, which apparently Maeda Jun never took a particular liking to - he had expressed his distaste in the "somehow through lots of hardwork everything works out in the end" type of cheap miricales in the stories.
"Hard Work and Guts!"

That's how things work in anime.

Real life is somewhere in between... no EPIC TRAGEDIES but no DEUS EX either.

That said, I vastly prefer happy endings in my fiction. Personal preference.

Quote:
I do hope they come up with another voice for the main male character in "Little Busters"...otherwise the voice actress is going to be talking to herself alot.
Jun Fukuyama wouldn't be a bad Riki, using his Shouta voice.

I can imagine them recasting both Rin and Riki, actually...
Old 2009-03-05, 02:01   Link #33
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
...I still think it really feels like a troll ending.

Sure it's sad and emotional and all, but it just feels so pointless and MEAN.

Sort of saying "Here's what happens when he DOESN'T pick Nagisa. Now stop bitching."
This is what I mean by trivialising the message. You've basically fallen into the same trap that the "if I don't get everything I worked for than it is pointless" group had fallen to. That is preciously the message that Maeda Jun wants to shatter in TA as life is full of such instances where you've tried you best and gets nothing in return, as you get older and older in real life, you'll be continously bombarded with such disappointments in life, and learning to pick yourself up from these disappointments is central to the theme in TA.

The message is in the pathway leading to the end, just because something bad happens it doesn't negates the good times and experiences that happens during. Plus it says a lot about how life *really* works, the point, as pointed out by Maeda Jun is to get people to face reality more and be less engrossed in escaptist fantasy (do take into consideration that anime/manga/game escaptist is quite a heavy social problem in Japan, so Maeda Jun is trying to be a bit more responsible here too). Be able to pick youself up again after being defeated - that's the beauty of the message in TA.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2009-03-05 at 02:13.
Old 2009-03-05, 02:20   Link #34
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
This is what I mean by trivialising the message. You've basically fallen into the same trap that the "if I don't get everything I worked for than it is pointless" group had fallen to. That is preciously the message that Maeda Jun wants to shatter in TA as life is full of such instances where you've tried you best and gets nothing in return, as you get older and older in real life, you'll be continously bombarded with such disappointments in life, and learning to pick yourself up from these disappointments is central to the theme in TA.
The things that happen in TA do not normally happen in real life.

I happen to be an idealist, despite my love of angsty and cynical fiction, and I believe that life isn't as bad as more serious works make it out to be.

Life is more neutral than EVERYTHING BAD HAPPENS AT ONCE FOR NO REAL REASON.

Quote:
The message is in the pathway leading to the end, just because something bad happens it doesn't negates the good times and experiences that happens during. Plus it says a lot about how life *really* works, the point, as pointed out by Maeda Jun is to get people to face reality more and be less engrossed in escaptist fantasy (do take into consideration that anime/manga/game escaptist is quite a heavy social problem in Japan, so Maeda Jun is trying to be a bit more responsible here too). Be able to pick youself up again after being defeated - that's the beauty of the message in TA.
I doubt you're able to pick yourself up and enjoy the experiences in life when
Spoiler for TA:

Some things I say may be inaccurate, mainly because I haven't played TA and have no wish to, but...

Also, as I have stated, life does not really work that way either. Life is full of happy AND sad things, and you CAN be rewarded for lots of hard work, although luck and talent have an equal share in success.
Old 2009-03-05, 02:36   Link #35
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
T

I doubt you're able to pick yourself up and enjoy the experiences in life when
Spoiler for TA:

Some things I say may be inaccurate, mainly because I haven't played TA and have no wish to, but...

Also, as I have stated, life does not really work that way either. Life is full of happy AND sad things, and you CAN be rewarded for lots of hard work, although luck and talent have an equal share in success.
You've missed the point completely. You really should refrain from making such comments when you haven't played the game.

Spoiler:

Also there were happy things in TA as well, and epic trageties does happen in real life (a sudden passing away of a love one is FAR from unrealistic, though the incident causing it might be, as in the case of entertainment), you really shouldn't make assumptions when you haven't played the game.

Quote:
It most certainly does. There are WAY more things in life where you have no control over than there are things which you can. For example tell that to the millions of honest hardworking people whom had lost jobs and money due to the current economic crisis.

Also of course you *can* be rewarded for hardwork, *can* being the modifier. TA doesn't exclude that possibility (in fact it includes it in many ways too). However it is not you WILL MOST DEFINITELY be rewarded for hardwork, which is what a lot of entertainment work does (even in Clannad). What TA does is present the other scenario when things don't go "right".

Last edited by houkoholic; 2009-03-05 at 02:46.
Old 2009-03-05, 02:48   Link #36
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Interesting debate...considering it is a rumor...at best right now.

A 30 minute ova/movie would be too short to do any of the routes aside from the main one I'm guessing. So basically the Toei "Clannad" treatment, just with "Tomoyo After" instead?
Old 2009-03-05, 03:10   Link #37
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
*snip*
We're both clearly biased, so I see no point in continuing.

You're more right than I am anyway.
Old 2009-03-05, 03:43   Link #38
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
why tomoya after?? 60 minutes is not even enough sigh... give some of the other heroines a chance but thats just my 2 cents
Nice idea, but they aren't the main characters, tyvm.

Tha being said, I hope it gets subbed. I would love to watch it, and I too hope they keep the same voice actor. He's amazing.
Old 2009-03-05, 04:31   Link #39
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

30 minutes for Planetarian can be enough, but 60 for Tomoyo After isn't really. Anyway it's good to hear about an animation versions if this rumour is true.

Some offtopic: I still haven't played only one their VN - Little Busters. How long is EX version for all routes ? You can compare it to Clannad.
Old 2009-03-05, 04:39   Link #40
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, TA to me wasn't nearly as crippling as Planetarian due to the actual scope of the discussion regarding humanity through the piece. Post-apocalyptic world is not uncommon in fiction, but by nuclear holocaust makes Planetarian slightly taboo to the Japanese mind. Whereas TA feels like a more constrained piece of interpersonal malodrama focused on Tomoya and Tomoyo, Planetarian speaks volume on the very contradiction of beauty and the unsightly nature to humanity.

I do think that Tomoyo After should be a mini-series in its own right instead of 60 minute length too. I wonder if KyoAni is only going to focus on the principal path then...

Looking back on why Planetarian made more impression to me, the (lack of) silver lining from a world already ablazed and people made broken, coupled with a bitter aftertaste of space-age naiveté, followed with the definition of humanity itself and completed with that neverending dream of reaching for the stars sealed the deal for me. (why does it feel as if I am writing about Fallout 3...?)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Closed Thread