AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-06-02, 09:15   Link #1
Crimson7

Anime/Figure Shops in Singapore?

I'll be heading to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur in 3 days. I'd like to know where I can buy some ORIGINAL anime goods. Original goods are hard to find here in the Philippines if you didn't pre-order them already at the local shops.

This would be my first time going overseas, so I hope to bring back lots of loot! Any suggestions? Most of my time will be spent over at Singapore, but you never know what I might find in Malaysia.
Crimson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 10:17   Link #2
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Have you not heard of Hobby Frontier? They are one of the best, very friendly and good in all aspects, it's web based through, no shop, but if you buy anything, they will meet you at X or Y meeting points to deliver anything you purchase.

http://www.hobby-frontier.com/
Old 2011-06-02, 10:45   Link #3
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

China Square Central is the Local Toy Hub in Singapore. Just alight at Chinatown Station of the local rail network and ask for directions to the mall from the personals working at the station control.

Another place of interest in Singapore will be Sunshine Plaza at Dhoby Ghaut especially for that very small shop which you can get Gundam Model kits at a steal.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 10:47   Link #4
Gault
inc_mplete

from what I remember staying there for a month. I was living in Orchard, some stores around there. but as above have mentioned there are those aswell
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 10:58   Link #5
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
from what I remember staying there for a month. I was living in Orchard, some stores around there. but as above have mentioned there are those aswell
Agreed. But the rentals at Orchard are pricey. So naturally those retailers there pass the buck to the customers by jacking up the price of their product a wee bit more than those places I've suggested.

If you are looking for mangas in their paperback form, there's the local flagship Kinokuniya store at Takashimaya for you if you want them in their pure Japanese format. Else you can try a wider range of them in their chinese translation imported from Taiwan at the various Comics Connection outlets which had mushroomed all over the place, but they do have a tiny collection of English translation if you asked the personals there.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 11:37   Link #6
Gault
inc_mplete

^ and there was a tiny Kinokuniya in Bugis? also another anime store there too near the foodcourt
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-03, 09:50   Link #7
Crimson7

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm mostly looking for figures. I looked at Hobby Frontier's site. I like the prices, but I don't know if i have the time to do the meet-up thing. Wish they had physical store.

So far I got Sunshine Plaza, Orchard and China Square Central.
Old 2011-06-03, 12:08   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

China Square, as suggested, is probably the best place in Singapore to go if you're looking for toys and figurines. It is, however, quite a fair bit away from the usual tourist areas, tucked away as it is in a little-visited corner of the financial district a few streets away. Meaning to say, the place can look a bit... dilapidated. Shady, even, almost like the kind of place you'd go to score a joint (I'm exaggerating. Please, please, please don't do drugs here. It's not worth the risk).

So, if you're expecting something like Mandarake in Shibuya, you'll be disappointed.

You could also try the seventh and top floor of Plaza Singapura, which sits just on top of Dhoby Ghaut MRT station, the same station you'd arrive in on the way to Sunshine Plaza a few buildings away. There isn't as great a variety of toy shops in Plaza Singapura as in China Square, but you will find one for figurines (Toy Closet/Outpost), one for Hollywood-related toys (Movie Replicas Collection), one dedicated to cosplay (Otaku House) and even one shop dedicated replica mediaeval weapons (Caesars). The aforementioned Comics Connection manga/toys franchise also has a store on the sixth floor.

Have fun. Hope you enjoy yourself in Singapore.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 11:34   Link #9
Crimson7

Well, I'm back from my trip. I really enjoyed Singapore!

I got 3 artbooks from Kinokuniya there, but no figures. The stores at Orchard really are more expensive.

Don't know why but I did not find the stores at China Square! Also, for some reason, I forgot about Sunshine Plaza until my last day there, so I didn't get to go. It's hard when you have someone with you, whose not really into anime. Slows you down during trips like these.

I hope to return there for AFA2011. Hopefully, that would be more productive. Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 2012-01-14, 15:25   Link #10
chloe-tsundere
the no 1 louise fan

hobby-frontier as mentioned is very good plus also know this one: www.theanimehouse.com
chloe-tsundere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 20:33   Link #11
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

There's one on the higher levels of Funan too next to Rapid Culture
Old 2012-01-14, 22:34   Link #12
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

Oh snap. Though this is a thread bumped half a year ago ... just to share.

For figurines and stuff , as the person above me stated , Latendo has quite a large variety of Figurines. At Funan Digital Mall on the 5th level there's Rapid Culture and Latendo. 2 notable anime stores. [5min walk from City Hall MRT]

For cards and some anime-related stuff there's Kurocha at East Point Mall for those who are inconvenienced for travelling all the way down town to Funan Digital Mall.

But for me the store with the best and latest supply of anime-product release items would be KKnM , aka The Anime House that has relocated to a new shopping mall called PoMo near The Cathay [5min walk from Dohby Ghaut MRT , if u walked correctly. The first time i made my way there i got lost due to my poor sense of direction and because the mall is relatively small and hidden among the bigger blocks.]

These are the only 4 shops i actually know of , because whenever i Google it gives me search results that are years ago in the past and the shops are pretty much non-existent anymore.

I know this is a old thread and all , but do share !
Old 2012-04-04, 22:21   Link #13
gxtrics

hi guys, would like to check where i could find Natsume Yujincho plush doll? been looking around but unable to find it. hope you guys could help me out, thanks!
gxtrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 11:50   Link #14
freshoutofthepan

You mean the Nyanko Sensei plush? I remember seeing it at one of the shops on the top floor of Plaza Singapura... I was tempted to buy but..NO! RESIST!

There was a shop called Aniplay at Sunshine Plaza where KKnM used to be, but they closed down for now. Only doing online orders currently..
freshoutofthepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 08:34   Link #15
Jimmy C

Another bump. I'll be in Singapore this weekend. I've got some good locations from this thread. I'd be grateful for an update on how many of the places mentioned here are still in operation.
I'll definitely be hitting China Square for the Toyntoys there.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 08:00   Link #16
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

La Tendou is is still around...but super overpriced.

Another one is at Pomo. Next to Dhoby. Just ask around.

It is the new location of KKNM.
Old 2012-07-22, 02:47   Link #17
Jimmy C

I'm back from my trip. I have to special thanks to xKeir for mentioning Latendo. While the place was overpriced, it was still the only place where I found the one thing I went on that trip to find! The GSC Miki Sayaka 1/8 figure. That made the trip a complete success.
Old 2012-07-23, 11:59   Link #18
freshoutofthepan

Did you visit the maid cafe? Lololololol.
freshoutofthepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 08:08   Link #19
Jimmy C

Saw it, but decided to give it a pass.