AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-05-02, 14:16   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Warning: these are simply my opinions. If your taste differs, your mileage may vary. If you've found our past preferences match, you might find something useful here.

Title: Nana
Rating: A-
Eps seen:2
Interestingly enough, I also couldn't have cared squat about the manga or even the premise... but someone said if I liked H&C I should at least give it a shot. Now I will say that "normal" Nana tends to drive me a bit nuts as she seems a bit dim but.... its actually very entertaining though I think part of the fascination is just watching the art style, especially when it jumps from "pretty" to cartoon-reaction-mode. For what it is, it looks pretty good.

Title: Utawarerumono
Rating: B+
Episodes Viewed: 4
Just a good "old tale" told well. I'm still a bit concerned that the show will go "all DBZ action no plot/char" but so far every episode has mixed action with character development and relationship quite nicely. I loved the end of ep 4 with Eruruu and Hakuoro. My only complaint centers around the animation --- as in its just a damn shame they didn't spend more money on it. The art design is fantastic and the music scoring is a favorite (very primitive).

Title: Soul Link
Rating: F
Episodes Viewed: 4
What an unmitigated disaster. The animation is terrible, they can't stay on-model with the characters. The storyline had potential but I just can't buy into the believability of the characters. Unrealistic reactions, responses... every military person in the show should have their ranks stripped - which tells me the writers have no clue on how trained personnel behave. Anyone with actual experience or research in these sorts of situations is responding "wtf" at much of the story.
They'd have been much safer sticking with light comedy romance which they only sort of screw up.

Title: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Rating: A+
Episodes viewed: 4
Just freaking brilliant on more levels than Joe Sixpack can possibly follow. Almost Hitchhiker's Guide brilliant. Stellar animation for a television production.
-- be sure and watch the first TWO episodes before making a judgement.

Title: Disgaea
Rating: C
Episodes viewed: 2
Cute characters... but rather generic so far. A lot of the game worshippers seem upset about it ... but I've not played it so I'm just looking at it as an anime series. Very iffy animation. Mostly keeping an eye on it because two characters Flonne and Etona are so cute. If it weren't for the boob jokes (extra negative for some of the worst boobjiggle animation ever), I'd just flat out call it a pre-teen audience show that really isn't that funny. So I guess it'd fit right into the "afterschool cartoon shows".

Not quite Spring 2006 items:
Recently completed subs I give high marks to included REC, Lamune, and the one about the romance of two hospitalized teens I can never remember the name of.
Also recently completed that I found entertaining was Magikano and Kasimasi.
Just discovered Petopeto-san which I find a subversive brilliant skewering of the too-frequent Japanese racial attitudes towards "guest residents" hiding under the humor and romance.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-02 at 14:50.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 14:50   Link #22
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsuu - Rate: A+
(Episode seen: 4)

A genious must have conceived this. A set of legendary characters combined with a crazy but yet intriguing plot. The pace of narration is ultra-fast and cannot never get you tired, because the brilliancy doesn't suffer of it. Not to forget, the arts and animations are funny and very good, and so it is the voice acting, for all the characters nevertheless.

School Rumble 2nd Term - Rate: B-
(Episode seen: 4)

I have been an hardcore fan of the first series, and of the OVAs as well. But I'm not completely satisfied on how about this second season begun. I guess it's just early to make judgements since 'till now we've not really seen further development on characters' lovey-dovey situations (and, besides the dumb jokes, that's the School Rumble essence). Particularly I was kind of disappointed from episode 2-3, the Battle Royale parody, to put it simply just not my cup of tea.
But I must recognize how the anime shows its full potential in terms of irony. I also have to book how arts went a bit downhill. They aren't as clean and brilliant as in season 1 (not to mention the OVAs). It's like the budget decreased, and this is honestly difficult to believe.
Last note: "Sentimental Generation" replaced "Scramble" as OP just plain nicely. I love it, and when on train going to school/work it's one of the most played song of my Ipod.

High School Girls - Rate: C+
(Episode seen: 2)

Quite a weird show, which doesn't aim to be serious, and likes to joke around its own characters. Fine with me, with this premise. Even so, there's so far an excessive amount of sillyness. And the fanservice level is well... 6 out of 5 .. not that the fanservice is wrong per se, it's how it's used (abused?), sometimes you get panty shots in the most unexpected moments, and honestly all I come to think is: wtf? Mamiko Noto grants a plus to the series.
Which remains enjoyable overall, potentially better than a c+ , and thus I'm not going to drop it.

Higurashi no Naku Koroni - Rate: A
(Episode seen: 3)

This show was hyped and overhyped since when it was announced, january. And so I was curious about it. Anyway, I always avoided to read too much about it, to remain spoiler free. And, here comes the surprise: I didn't know it was to be an horror! ^^ (meaning one of my favourite genres!)
3 episodes, meaning we're just in the introductory phase as for now, but I'm already totally entuxiastic about it. The whole premise, the 2 faces of Rena and of the other girls, the creepy expressions we get to see here and there, in a very wise (from the director) way.
I love this show, because it creates the right atmosphere, just like a good Stephen King's book. The arts are weird, naive, but they do perfectly fit the show. And the animations are very good, actually.
The seiyuu cast feautures some of my favs (Tamura Yukari, Nakahara Mai) and the greatness is served. Another potential 10/10 in my book.

---------------

I'm often out of time currently, and so I can put together just these four titles as for now, anyway I've on my book of ready to be watched the following: "Nana", "Yume Tsukai", "Utawarerumono", "Strawberry Panic" and maybe "Ouran High School Host Club". Hence I expect to update my presence on this thread on a later time.
Old 2006-05-10, 16:26   Link #23
mangafanatic

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya--
Episodes seen: 6
Okay, this is one of the most fresh and unique anime to come along is several years. Yes, I'll admit, watching the first episode, I too was thinking "What the crap!? Why all the hype!?", but by the time I had finished the second episode-- I was hooked. This show is comendy, mystery, sci-fi all rolled into one insane package named Haruhi Suzumiya. Commit yourself to watching the first three episodes, and you'll see why everyone is so head over heels for this show.

I want to be Haruhi when I grow up. ^_________^

Ouran Host Club
Episodes seen: 5
Rating: A
I know alot of the converts to Haruhiism are going to try to lynch me for giving MoHS practically the same rating as I'm giving Host club-- but they are two completely different shows. Saying that because this Haruhi isn't as original or zany as Suzumiya-san is unfair. You hear me! I say it ain't fair! Host Club Haruhi is one of the most down to earth and fantastic female protaganists in a comedy in some time. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya makes me excited. Ouran Host club just makes me happy. The entire cast of this show is comedy brilliance-- specifically Tamaki! All Hail Ojisama!

Utawarermono
Episodes seen: 5
Rating: C+/B
I put down two ratings because I couldn't decide which this show deserved. Maybe I'm biased because this season has produced some truly amazing shows, but, personally, I'm growing weary of Utawarermono. In the first five episodes, there has been a very predictable patern:
village affairs-->crisis-->salvation-->conclusion.
And yes, I know that most shows feature some sort of patern, but the truth is that a show like Uta that give an epic feel has to produce some sort of story line. I'm still waiting for it. Yes, we have a minor rebellion, but where's the drive? Where's the major development? I'm still waiting, and I've decided I'll give this show until episode 8 to show me what it's really made of. I hope it prove better than my initial impressions. I really would like to like this show.

Last edited by mangafanatic; 2006-05-11 at 09:15.
mangafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 06:35   Link #24
kari-no-sugata

Title: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Rating: A+ (EX really. It's so good it makes you happy to be alive)
Episodes Viewed: 1-6
Great characters, great story, great animation, great music. I suggest re-watching ep 1 after watching ep 2.

Title: Ouran Host Club
Rating: B+ to A
I like the manga a lot, and often find TV anime versions of manga I like painful to watch. But for the most part, this is a conversion done right. The story has an odd premise - an interesting and different "commoner" main character, in an insanely luxurious school for rich kids ends up in the "Host Club" - a group of bored pretty boys who entertain the bored rich girls. Good whacky humour and easy to follow. Based on a shoujo manga that's pretty much angst free - it works!

Rating: B
A rather unusual story in a fantasy setting. The main character is cool, calm and collected, despite having lost his memories. He makes for an interestingly real leader. The plot moves along quickly - the world the character live in has already changed significantly, and by their own efforts.

Title: Black Lagoon
Episodes Viewed: 1-5
In some ways, it's a bit like how modern pirates would be if done by Hollywood. But the characters work together nicely, as does the action.

Title: Princess Princess
The basic plot is rather weird and almost disturbing, but I figured I'd at least give the first episode a go. So far, it's mostly a character based school comedy, and so far I have been enjoying it because of the main characters. I'm not sure if it'll keep it up though.

Title: The Third ~Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo~
Rating: mostly B
Episodes Viewed: 1-3
The main character is interesting and a bit different (though the butt of too many jokes really) and the AI tank is interesting too. The world setting isn't too bad, but the people seem strangely too happy and cheerful, and the gags don't really seem to fit in. Looks like it might get better as time goes on though.

Title: xxxHolic
A good conversion of the manga, but they seem to be ignoring the tie-in the manga has to Tsubasa Chronicle.

Title: High School Girls
Episodes Viewed: 1-4
I liked the manga, but I just can't find the anime as fun and "real", so I stopped watching. I have no problem with the basic premise (how girls go downhill without boys to show off to) but the anime seems to want to turn the characters into wall to wall idiots and not much else.

Title: Inukami!
Rating: D
Episodes Viewed: 1
I downloaded the first ep, but skipped through most of it. The basic concept sounded okay, but it's not enjoyable for me at all.

Title: Air Gear
The manga is okay, but the anime hasn't improved things.

Title: Saiunkoku Monogatari
Rating: C to B
Might have been another Juuni Kokki (12 Kingdoms) but doesn't come close in practice. The main character is pretty good but the others don't seem to have any real originality, and the plot isn't engaging enough, so I've stopped watching.

Title: Nishi No Yoki Majo
Episodes Viewed: 1-2
I like fantasy, but I just couldn't find the characters or story interesting, so stopped watching.

Title: Kiba
Rating: C-D
Maybe I'm too old to like something like this, but couldn't find anything interesting or innovative about the story or characters, so stopped watching.

Title: Strawberry Panic!
No problem with the basic premise, but again, I just can't find the characters or plot interesting enough to follow.

Title: Garasu no Kantai
Rating: C-D
Has some of the more bizzare/original visuals and settings... but it doesn't really work and the characters and plot aren't interesting enough.

Title: Witchblade

Title: Simoun

Title: Ray the animation
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 12:29   Link #25
anime_fever

Episodes viewed: 8
I didn't like it when I watched the first ep coz I didn't get it at all and it seemed boring but I saw high rating on this anime so decided to continue and I'm glad that I didn't stop. The story is getting better and nice OP and ED

Title: Gakuen heaven
Episodes viewed: 7
Well...I watched this juz because there're lots of pretty boys, no other reason since I don't like yaoi

Title: Princess Princess
Rating: A-
Episodes viewed: 6
I liked it so far...funny and though it seems yaoi but it's actually not. Characters are adorable ^^

Title: the Good Witch of the West
Episodes viewed: 5
This one is kinda hard to say. I liked it a lot when I first watched the 1st ep but as the story goes on, I don't really have much feeling on it. Anyways, I still think it's ok

Title: Disgaea
Rating: D-
Episodes viewed: 1 (dropped)
This anime is a waste of time. I stopped after watching the first ep...looks so childish, but I still have the 2nd ep in my comp...dun know if I'll watch it or juz delete it.

Title: Yume Tsukai
Rating: C-
I sorta forced myself to watch this anime...so far there really is nothing unique but don't know how the story will progress

Title: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Rating:
Episodes viewed:
I d/led but haven't watched it yet...only watched the OP ^^ will give the rating later

Title: Saiunkoku Monogatari
I watched this anime because of bishies and it looks like something similar to FY and harutoki. I can't really say for sure yet since there's not much happening so far

Title: The Third
Rating: B-
Episodes viewed: 1
This anime didn't really get into me but I wonder if it'll get more interesting

Episodes viewed: 3
Nothing much to say about this anime. Since it looks like a sport anime, there're more other sports anime that are more worth watching than this. Characters don't appeal to me that much

Title: XXXHolic
Well...I'm not a fan of Clamp and I personally think this anime is so tedious. I like TRC better than this but oh well...I'll keep watching it

Title: Simoun
Rating: F
Ok...I'm not a fan of yaoi and of course not yuri either but I still think yaoi is better than yuri. I watched this anime coz I didn't know it's yuri and I had a goosebumps while watching

Title: Strawberry Panic
Rating: E-
Same as Simoun but I was juz curious so I gave it a try since someone said it was kinda similar to Maria-sama ga Miteru. I still think Maria-sama is better though I didn't like it either

Title: High School Girls
So far so good. I like it much more better than Azumanga Daioh since it didn't make me laugh at all. Yup...this anime is hilarious

Title: Ouran Koukou Host Club
I really like it so far. It's funny and with great characters. One of my fav anime for this season ^^

Title: Digimon Savers
Rating: C+
Well...I used to be a fan of Digimon and I've watched all four other seasons so of course I'll watch this season too. I personally think it's better than 3rd & 4th season but it's not really that great either. 1st & 2nd season are much more better

Great OP but the characters are juz....@_@ I'll continue watching though

Episodes Viewed: 7
Interesting story... juz give it a try

Title: the Prince of Tennis OVA (National Championship)
I like it since I'm a fan of pot...nothing much to say and I guess other fans of pot must have watched it too

Title: The Gargoyle of the Yoshinaga
Rating: C-
I juz think this anime is weird...who knows it'll get more interesting
anime_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 10:51   Link #26
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

I read the manga, so the anime seemed pretty wierd to me. The action isnt half there, and its quite boring. Looks promising though. Ill stick to this one.

Ewww. First episode got me pretty disgusted. The only reason i continued watching was because i already downloaded the other eps. Awful character design, nothing much in animation and a overall wierd theme. I hate that ugly looking blue spirit anyway, so since she's the protagonist's spirit, No go, bye.

Title: Kiba
Episodes viewed:2
I forgot why the hell i even started in the first place, but this was a letdown. Character designs seem noobish, aint any action, and some wierd stuff. That craziness over that shuuhei guy puked me enough to drop this once and for all.
Scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 14:49   Link #27
-Houka-

Rating: B-/C
Episodes viewed: 11

I have no idea why people like it *so* much. In my opinion, I would only be so hyper about it and find it that enjoyable if I were 12-15. This anime is amusing and has an unique and fresh idea, yet it's extremely superficial, too much repetition occurs and is too light hearted for my taste.

Episodes viewed:2
I really like this anime so far, I find it, well, cute - but not in a childish way. The opening/ending is great. I recall having read a manga review of Nana, and I remember it being supposed to be yuri. As a straight female I still found it very charming and very original, so I will definately continue watching it.
-Houka- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 01:54   Link #28
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Spring animes are wrapping up and Summer series are beginning. I will use review threads like these as an opportunity to voice some thoughts of mine on some animes I followed but never spent the time nor effort reading or writing about. In alphabetical order:

Ah! My Goddess Season Two - B- - Viewed 11 episodes
Well, it's Ah! My Goddess. Some have understandable and legitimate criticism against this show for its infinitesimal relationship progression, and exceedingly sweet and repeated demeanor. But fortunately I can stand and accept it. Like some have said, this series is strongly supported by its side characters. And so, I continue watching the adventures and experiences of Belldandy & K1 & company.

ARIA the Natural - B+ - Viewed 5 episodes
More of the overly saccharine and optimistic charm of ARIA. Since its form is unchanged as it was in first season, I'm treating and enjoying it the in the same manner as before.

KIBA - B - Viewed 12 episodes
Despite the elements of shounen genre stereotype (angsty main lead, the pursuit of power, and even spirits reminiscent of pokemon), I like this show. It is well paced, the plot moves quick and does a good job of keeping the viewer's interest. And the character development is well done, as it manages to convincingly reverse our impressions of two characters within an episode's time. As a result, each episode grasps my attention heavily. The animation quality is a bit poor at times but it is to be expected.

Ouran High School Host Club - A - Viewed 11 episodes
Extravagantly funny. The Host Club characters are archetypically distinct, diverse, and charming enough to provide a rich basis for humor. I am a Haruhi fan, but I am a Fujioka Haruhi fan. There lies the critical distinction. She is truly the superior Haruhi, as she is a much better and admirable character. Fairly high animation quality rounds out the excellence of this anime. Good show.

Princess Princess - A- - Viewed 12 episodes (finished)
I don't want to waste time and effort repeating my assessments on this show, so refer to here.

School Rumble Second Semester - B - Viewed 9 episodes
It is more School Rumble humor, however thus far in these episodes, it has not been as amusing as it was in the first season. It is lacking focus on the relationships between the main characters, which is the basis for the hilarious misunderstanding humor that is signature of SR. Instead, so far we were presented with an airsoft battle royale and basketball arc that were only mildly entertaining. But I have no doubt it will shine later in the series when the spotlight is reshifted back to Harima and Eri. I'm partial to Eri and the flag faction.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - C+ - Viewed 12 episodes
I belong to the however small minority that is reluctant to embrace this anime. There is one overwhelming reason: I strongly detest the main lead, Haruhi. Completely self-centered, bossy, over-confidently loud, and insensitive. She's the kind of girl I hate in real life. I find it very hard to comprehend and unnerving to see such an immense amount of people that like her. Her personality just angers and exasperates me so such that it detriments my enjoyment of the show. The fact that she's the main lead and consequently has abundant screen time further contributes to my infuriation. To avoid stirring up too fierce of an animosity from the cult of Haruhism, I will withhold anymore denoucing words. I do acknowledge that the anime has stellar production values, and it does possess the potential to entertain. I suppose the show and its setup would not work so well with any other type of personality for Haruhi. It is simply unfortunate that Haruhi's character repulses me.

Utawarerumono - C- - Viewed 3 episodes (dropped)
Faceless main character, rescued by an attractive female, and ideally helpful. The story and the execution is just much too clichéd to my liking. It was painfully predictable, and so at times the anime felt forced and frequently I had that feeling of "oh that had to happen". I will remember, however, the noteworthy tail-stroking scene, for it was tremendously cute.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-06-26 at 20:25.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 16:35   Link #29
BakaOnna

Well, Spring is over, and a few of the Spring anime series are ending, so I'll give my review on the ones I saw.

Episodes Viewed: 13
This series is simply amazing. Sure, there were a few episodes that weren't all that great, but the overall series stood out for me. It's original and isn't afraid to take risks. Airing the episodes out of order did get on my nerves, but I decided to just let the animation studio do its thing. I loved the subtle humor. This series has a bit of everything.

Title: Higurashi no NaKu Koro ni
Episodes Viewed: 13
My current obsession. I simply love this series, and the only reason why I didn't give it an A+ was because of the inconsistent animation, but that's just nitpicks. The best thing about this series is its discussion value after each episode and how it makes the viewers think. Also, the way the plot is presented is what makes it so great, making us, the viewers, the detectives.

Title: Ouran High School Host Club
Rating: B-
Episodes Viewed 12
I don't know what happened. This series started out great, but now, I'm not finding it as funny as before, and I barely care if I miss an episode. Also, I'm finding Haruhi to be a rather bland character, since after 12 episodes, we still don't know much about her, besides she being poor and her weird father.

Title: Jyu Oh Sei
Rating: A-/C+
Episode Viewed: 11; whole series
Yes, I realized the rating is rather extreme, but the beginning was really well-done and had a lot of potential to be a great anime. But, I don't know if it was the pacing or what, but the middle was, simply put, really bad. By the end of the series, I didn't really care for the characters or plot. This made it on my favorites lists, then dropped off it by one or two episodes. There was barely any character and plot development, leaving me very disappointed in this series. At least the ending is one of the better anime endings I've seen.

Rating: C+
Episodes Viewed: 11
I don't know why I watch this series, maybe because of the art designs? The thing that gets on my nerves in this series is the main character. He's such a bland character that I don't care much about. The supporting characters are a lot more interesting than him. The plot also gets rather repetative with all its wars and stuff. The plus for this series is its music, and the opening is lovely.

Last edited by BakaOnna; 2006-07-01 at 16:46.
BakaOnna is offline   Reply With Quote