AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-05-12, 13:50   Link #1801
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I agree... Aya has really submerged herself into Kona (as have the other actresses). They score well in this regard. I guess I've just reached the stage where I don't go see a "Tom Cruise" movie or a "Will Smith" movie --- where the actor overwhelms the story. A better example for me is someone like Ian McKellen or DeNiro who does a pretty good job of becoming his character to the point I don't think "Ian" or "Robert" when either is onscreen.

Cute emoticons for Kona
Old 2007-05-14, 00:00   Link #1802
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

Once again comparing show business to sports, the people involved have to work as a team. Although teams depending on one player can win, it is usually not recommended.
Lucky_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 02:41   Link #1803
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Indications of Lucky Star's popularity

It's hard to tell how popular a show is when TV ratings for it aren't available and no DVD has come out. But two little indications make me think this show is pretty popular right now, at least with a certain audience.

On 2channel at the moment, not only is the main LS thread the second-most-popular of this season after Nanoha StrikerS, but at this moment, of the 22 threads with the most recent posts, 11 are about Lucky Star. This is a bizarre situation, and many are anti- threads, but people don't make anti- threads about shows that aren't big topics of discussion.

A better indication is what is claimed in a post on 2channel to be the results of a poll in May NewType of most popular anime, not limited to current shows. Standing fourth after Code Geass, Suzumiya Haruhi and GSD is Lucky Star. (bracketed number is previous poll)

1(1)Code Geass
 2(3)Suzumiya Haruhi
 3(2)Gundam SEED DESTINY
 4(-)Lucky Star
 5(5)Gundam SEED
 6(15)Evangelion
 7(9)Gintama
 8(-)DARKER THAN BLACK
 9(-)Hayate
 10(-)Toward Terra...
 11(-)Gurren Laggen
 12(-)Shakugan no Shana
 13(10)BLEACH
 14(-)Detective Conan
 15(-)Heroic Age
 16(16)Keroro Sogun
 17(-)Nodame Cantabile
 18(-)Saint Beast
 19(14)Fate/stay night
 20(-)Seto no Hanayome

As for popularity outside Japan, I just noticed how many 10's it has in its ANN ratings. And the number of posts here on AnimeSuki is fairly amazing: already four-fifths of Death Note, which had a six-month head start, and gaining fast.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-16 at 03:00.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 03:45   Link #1804
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

http://www.trendmicro.co.jp/vinfo/vi...FHARADONG%2EAL
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 04:11   Link #1805
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I don't know if I should be happy or sad for LS having a fan make up a worm for them. >_> Though I'm interested as to what its actually saying...

And I'm surprised at Lucky Star getting third place in the polls of new type as of right now. What I'm even more surprised is that Haruhi is still going strong despite it being a year old now and being a non-shounen show. O_O

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 04:22   Link #1806
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Heh. The irony of that anti-p2p worm is that, while telling you that illegal file sharing is bad, the use of that screen cap is itself a copyright violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
 9(-)Hayate
Now that I'm surprised to see. And they haven't even gotten to the crossplay episode.

I suppose the first test of Lucky Star's popularity will be the OP single. Perhaps if we knew how many pre-orders amazon has been getting.

Or just take a look at #6 on this list. (Also this)
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 07:00   Link #1807
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

As with the SHnY OP, there is a movement to have so many preorders that the OP single opens at#1 on the Oricon chart when it comes out next Wednesday. I have no idea how realistic that is. I think the SHnY OP or ED opened at #5.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-16, 07:11   Link #1808
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 09:20   Link #1809
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Here is a video of it in action.
http://nicopon.jp/video/player/sm297254
Quote:
A better indication is what is claimed in a post on 2channel to be the results of a poll in May NewType of most popular anime, not limited to current shows. Standing fourth after Code Geass, Suzumiya Haruhi and GSD is Lucky Star. (bracketed number is previous poll)
I would think a better measure of the english speaking audience is seen a at the latest ANN poll.

However, I always consider those magazines polls to be bogus. The sample sizes are always extremely small and Newtype's always come out in favor of Kadokawa properties. Especially Gundam properties.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 09:47   Link #1810
Skane
Anime Snark

If you go by television ratings, the list will be very, VERY different.

Thread in Question

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-16, 12:47   Link #1811
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
If you go by television ratings, the list will be very, VERY different. Thread in Question Cheers.
Yes, lol, that's why I said the poll represented the opinions of "a certain audience." Prime-time shows for kids totally dominate the TV rankings: Sazae-san, Doraemon, Detective Conan, etc. And in the late-night time-slots, shows aimed at adults and teen girls (NANA, Nodame Cantabile, Hataraki Man) do better than shows for otaku.

Unfortunately, very few ratings are available for the current season. The only new show in the top ten is Gegege no Kitarou, at #6. A show aimed at kids. There is very little info available about shows outside the top 10. With the very partial info I have, Blue Dragon, Lovely Complex, Toward Terra and Hayate are doing pretty well, but those are all daytime or primetime shows. The only two late-night shows that I know are doing "well" (over 2% of the audience) are Ookiku Furikabutte and Claymore, both of which deserve to do well, imo. I haven't seen any info about Lucky Star, but I expect it will not have huge ratings, even for a late-night show.
Old 2007-05-16, 13:15   Link #1812
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
As with the SHnY OP, there is a movement to have so many preorders that the OP single opens at#1 on the Oricon chart when it comes out next Wednesday. I have no idea how realistic that is. I think the SHnY OP or ED opened at #5.
Who's doing this? Is it the fans? If so I don't understand the point of organizing groups to blow as much money as possible on a preorder so that something they will see no profit from will debut in #1. Are these people so insecure that if their latest Kyoto Animation show isn't a smash success on its own they will stop at nothing to make it one in a "You scratched my back with Loli-Moe stuff, now I'll scratch yours by soliciting the internet manner". It just doesn't make any sense, what do they have to gain from it.

Perhaps Kyoto Animation's shows (or should I be saying Kadokawa's shows) aren't quite as popular as we are lead to believe, and that their popularity owes itself quite a bit to multiple factions manipulating the market. I frequently find it hard to believe that shows like Kanon, Haruhi and Lucky Star could have such widespread appeal as to make them so phenomenally successful all around. Sure they are good shows, but they are still very niche even within the market of anime.

So all these last few posts have served to show me is that there is potentially some massive rigging going on with the standings of media in Japan as well as manipulation of consumers through a variety of means, and that to no surprise it's Kadokawa's media that is at the centre of it all yet again.

Also whoever is making the virus', what do these idiots have to gain for themselves by doing this. If they are trying to increase the popularity of Lucky Star then I could think of no better way to do the opposite. Sometimes I'm not sure these so called anime fans are thinking clearly.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-16 at 13:29.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 13:58   Link #1813
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I HAVE ONLY 3 WORDS TO SAY AFTER READING HERE...

"IAM VERY SHOCKED!!!"
Old 2007-05-16, 14:08   Link #1814
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
I HAVE ONLY 3 WORDS TO SAY AFTER READING HERE...

"IAM VERY SHOCKED!!!"
I don't follow.
Old 2007-05-16, 14:25   Link #1815
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Who's doing this? Is it the fans? If so I don't understand the point of organizing groups to blow as much money as possible on a preorder so that something they will see no profit from will debut in #1. Are these people so insecure that if their latest Kyoto Animation show isn't a smash success on its own they will stop at nothing to make it one in a "You scratched my back with Loli-Moe stuff, now I'll scratch yours by soliciting the internet manner". It just doesn't make any sense, what do they have to gain from it.

Perhaps Kyoto Animation's shows (or should I be saying Kadokawa's shows) aren't quite as popular as we are lead to believe, and that their popularity owes itself quite a bit to multiple factions manipulating the market. I frequently find it hard to believe that shows like Kanon, Haruhi and Lucky Star could have such widespread appeal as to make them so phenomenally successful all around. Sure they are good shows, but they are still very niche even within the market of anime.

So all these last few posts have served to show me is that there is potentially some massive rigging going on with the standings of media in Japan as well as manipulation of consumers through a variety of means, and that to no surprise it's Kadokawa's media that is at the centre of it all yet again.

Also whoever is making the virus', what do these idiots have to gain for themselves by doing this. If they are trying to increase the popularity of Lucky Star then I could think of no better way to do the opposite. Sometimes I'm not sure these so called anime fans are thinking clearly.
Money and fame are 2 reasons they could be backed by corporate in some fashion either with money or goods or they are just mindless trolls who think paying the man 3-6X the normal cost of a DVD/CD/item is the only way to be worthy of that item...

Ack I rated.... I 'll put it in spoilers so I wont mar the thread up much....

Spoiler for Rant not spoilers:
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 14:31   Link #1816
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
I don't follow.
It's the virus worm thing...nothing biggie. Still in shock XD
Old 2007-05-16, 14:40   Link #1817
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
It's the virus worm thing...nothing biggie. Still in shock XD
I wonder if this virus is illegal to make or distro any corporate ties would prove...dishonorable at the least :X
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 11:51   Link #1818
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I'd like to share something I've noticed about this series ratings. I've been following the anime's standings on ANN since day one and how the standings seem to flucuate, and I've noticed that the change in rankings seem to be the inverse of how popular an episode was. For example the series debuted at 500 (being new and all it has a massive advantage) and began a climb to about 300. Around episode 4 which was agreed upon to be strong it fell back a bit, but then went to around 250 for episode 5, which I thought was weaker than episode 4, but anyway, the interesting thing is, with the popular episode the series has fallen back even further to about 350 or so. Now I'm not sure I should be paying this much attention to something so trivial, but it just seems really weird, like there's no way to trust these pollings and rankings at all as a gauge of how a series is doing.
Old 2007-05-17, 12:52   Link #1819
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

There's only one thing you can trust. It's the fan support the ones...us that watch, buy and support any series. Problem is we don't know haw many fans of a certain anime out there since there are many countries. But one thing is for sure Raki * Suta is one of most popular anime as to date.

Last edited by kenjiharima; 2007-05-17 at 14:00. Reason: typo errors!!! >_<
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 13:01   Link #1820
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Kaioshin... you should read the webcomic Megatokyo. It is full of hyper-conspiracies involving the "system" and "fanboys" (and its full of comedy, romance, satire, homage, pathos, silliness, random whatever, and a robot girl).

In regard to ANN, I have found them particularly *uninformative* when it comes to their reviews and ratings and whether I'd like a series or not.

Quote:

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen