AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-05-18, 23:03   Link #201
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
Hi, everyone.

I'm here to announce that after reading Jan-Poo's 'Witches & Woodlands' and Kinjo's 'When the Seacats Cry', I decided to give my own try at the VN umineko fanfiction. I'm using Ren'Py for the engine because ONScripter isn't very newbie-friendly with its programming and I'm also using the PS3 Alchemist sprites and backgrounds for this project.
I look forward to playing your project! I love Umineko VN fanfics.

I've been wondering: exactly how much easier is Ren'Py to use than ONScripter for making an Umineko forgery?

A while back I decided to make an Umineko fanfic forgery of my own, and began plotting it out and starting to write it, but it became obvious really soon that it would work much better in VN format. So I've been looking getting the ONScripter software and things and beginning to look up how to use it. Kinjo's guide is a godsend; I'd probably have given up on the idea by now without it. But if Ren'Py is so much easier to use, maybe I should try that instead? I have some programming experience, albeit from about ten years ago, but not in any of the languages involved in the VN programs.

If I go ahead with it, I really want an "authentic" sounding/looking Umineko fangame. I'm not planning to have many custom images or sprites either (...except if I can talk anyone into editing the goat sprite so it has a Battler-style pointing hand).
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 00:28   Link #202
battle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I look forward to playing your project! I love Umineko VN fanfics.

I've been wondering: exactly how much easier is Ren'Py to use than ONScripter for making an Umineko forgery?

A while back I decided to make an Umineko fanfic forgery of my own, and began plotting it out and starting to write it, but it became obvious really soon that it would work much better in VN format. So I've been looking getting the ONScripter software and things and beginning to look up how to use it. Kinjo's guide is a godsend; I'd probably have given up on the idea by now without it. But if Ren'Py is so much easier to use, maybe I should try that instead? I have some programming experience, albeit from about ten years ago, but not in any of the languages involved in the VN programs.

If I go ahead with it, I really want an "authentic" sounding/looking Umineko fangame. I'm not planning to have many custom images or sprites either (...except if I can talk anyone into editing the goat sprite so it has a Battler-style pointing hand).
Onscripter is a little harder yeah. renpy is pretty simple and easy.
Btw For those who are using CHiru script as base to there VNs,
ld command as you can see is changed but that doesnt mean the original ld command is deleted. When you want to load the sprite and you dont have it numaliased , you can use _ld (c,r,l),":a;whereyourspriteis.extension", effect
battle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 06:16   Link #203
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
You can make it seem almost identical with Renpy if you use nvl format and the Sazanami Gothic font (that's the one Witch Hunt are using), you can even import the same cursor for the click waiting state. Not sure about the rain, though...

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to make an Umineko-looking tips screen with Renpy? I have experimented with it a lot, but since I'm a total stork when it comes to scripting, it didn't get me anywhere...

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 06:21   Link #204
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
For example, 'Guardrail (ガードレール)' is a minor fan favorite character, who even ranked in the first fan popularity poll: (http://umineko.locker.jp/vote/ep5/) Guardrail came about because of a misreading by some Japanese fans of the word 'Gertrude ガートルード' into "Guardrail." Some fans later took this to the Usobare 嘘ばれ (fake spoilers) thread and thus she was born: http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/sakutaro1...2/121946b1.png ... And seen in the Umineko SIMS videos, for example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xci4LXaYTh0&t=7m Although some others have portrayed her as an all-white 2-player Gertrude. 8)
Oh, so that's who "Guardrail" is. I was wondering why that character appeared as an enemy in the Umineko Action Game.

As far as Renpy goes, I've never bothered with it, so I can't say if it's easier than ONscripter or not.
Old 2012-05-19, 10:05   Link #205
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
You can make it seem almost identical with Renpy if you use nvl format and the Sazanami Gothic font (that's the one Witch Hunt are using), you can even import the same cursor for the click waiting state. Not sure about the rain, though...

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to make an Umineko-looking tips screen with Renpy? I have experimented with it a lot, but since I'm a total stork when it comes to scripting, it didn't get me anywhere...
You can try to use info from this link:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/cookbook/Tips_menu

This enables creating a Tips menu, but for a Tips screen you'll probably have to program one youself. For the rain, making the animation might be a little complicated, but if everything fails, then just use the rain image and sound.

Oh, and does anyone know how to add that bubble effect the witches do to appear? The VN used "breakup.dll" to do it, and I don't know if Renpy allows custom effects or just the usual ones (fade, pixellate, etc.). If it allows, then it would be something like that:

show xxx at center with breakup.dll
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 16:49   Link #206
Captain Bluebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
You can try to use info from this link:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/cookbook/Tips_menu

This enables creating a Tips menu, but for a Tips screen you'll probably have to program one youself.
Yes, I was aware of that, that's what I experimented on to begin with. I managed to create the screen, but couldn't actually put the images and everything else in it (I guess I'm just really bad at this).

Quote:
For the rain, making the animation might be a little complicated, but if everything fails, then just use the rain image and sound.
Or you can just find a rain effect if you skim around Renpy's forum. It doesn't look anything like Umineko, but it's still better than nothing.

It's tough to be blue...
Old 2012-05-20, 20:30   Link #207
Gene Sylvari

I'm a new member here and i just happened to stumble upon this thread. Being a big fan of the Umineko series i loved reading fanfics about it and i have to say that Witches and Woodlands 3.5 was one of the most amazing ones i've ever had the pleasure to experience. Hats of to Jan-Poo who obviously put a lot of work into it. I've read a few of the other fics in this thread and they were all really intersting too! Hopefully there are many more awesome fics to come.

Hmm i suppose i should contribute something so this post doesn't seem completely pointless. I did stumble upon this fanfic a few days ago and it was a very entertaining read.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8128158/...Black_Sorcerer

Its a short fic of just 6 chapters but it was quite memorable and interesting in many ways. I loved that it had an actual mystery behind it and you actually have to try to solve the riddle at the end if you can see it all. But i wont give away too much so have a look for yourself and see if you like it.

Thanks again to all of you that have and are still writing Umineko fics, keep em coming!
Gene Sylvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 11:13   Link #208
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, I was aware of that, that's what I experimented on to begin with. I managed to create the screen, but couldn't actually put the images and everything else in it (I guess I'm just really bad at this).
There is a way but it's quite difficult. Oliver had one semi-working but I haven't seen or heard from him in ages. I was working on one myself with clickable portrait images but that was about two years ago and I decided to focus extensively on the script and scripting and not on the technical details until I was somewhat closer to release. It's definitely possible, I've just not got the chops to make one that's not a multi-layered monstrosity right now.
Quote:
Or you can just find a rain effect if you skim around Renpy's forum. It doesn't look anything like Umineko, but it's still better than nothing.
Oliver actually made me a rather convincing set of rain overlays that look mostly exactly like Umineko's and a script for them. I'm not at home, but I can probably provide them later. You may or may not wish to resize them, as mine are 852x480 (which is fine if you're using 640x480, they'll just extend past the edges of the screen unnoticeably).
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 11:26   Link #209
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Oliver actually made me a rather convincing set of rain overlays that look mostly exactly like Umineko's and a script for them. I'm not at home, but I can probably provide them later. You may or may not wish to resize them, as mine are 852x480 (which is fine if you're using 640x480, they'll just extend past the edges of the screen unnoticeably).
Oh thank you, they would be very useful.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 12:40   Link #210
ErenselTheJester

Here's a pilot of a story I've had in mind for quite some time now. As a basic summary, it takes place after the Magic ending for EP8 after Ange sees Battler. She still has questions about the Incident and goes to a detective for help:

Spoiler for It's long:
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 12:52   Link #211
battle22

That was very intresting, the whole 'Searching for Beatrices corspe' kinda feels realllyyy intresting to me . Lol. Amazing. Thought i was shocked when you twisted it to meta, Kinda disspointed about that but we will see, i'll be glad to be your reader
battle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 13:16   Link #212
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Just read Forgery of the Golden Witch. Good stuff!
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 13:46   Link #213
Drifloon

When the Seacats Cry is definitely the most impressive Umineko fanwork I've ever read.

I wish more people did Forgeries like that. A lot of people have started on those kinds of projects but hardly anyone finishes :/
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 14:22   Link #214
Thunder Book
Endless Member

What I liked about Forgery is that to me it kept the spirit of Eps 1-4 fairly strong that made me initially love Umineko. I also wish we had gotten an awesome scene like Forgery's Tea Party in Chiru. XD

I did laugh at one spelling error I noticed though. "Homocide". :P
Old 2012-05-23, 14:34   Link #215
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifloon View Post
When the Seacats Cry is definitely the most impressive Umineko fanwork I've ever read.

I wish more people did Forgeries like that. A lot of people have started on those kinds of projects but hardly anyone finishes :/
One day I will get fired from my job, and Redaction will totally be finished.

Until then... it's pretty hard.

Old 2012-05-23, 16:26   Link #216
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I'll just have to tell Renall's employer that he's a sex offender, no biggie.
Old 2012-05-23, 16:44   Link #217
ErenselTheJester

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
That was very intresting, the whole 'Searching for Beatrices corspe' kinda feels realllyyy intresting to me . Lol. Amazing. Thought i was shocked when you twisted it to meta, Kinda disspointed about that but we will see, i'll be glad to be your reader
Thanks for the feedback. I thought about doing it without Umineko to be a more traditional mystery, but it didn't feel like Umineko since there was no Meta- interpretation of the story.

Now here's a scene where Dupree is faced with a mystery:

Spoiler for It's long:
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 21:02   Link #218
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Actually I was wrong, the rain images are gigantic so they should function perfectly for just about any resolution you could want in RenPy.

"Short" Rain
"Medium" Rain
"Long" Rain

And the script, add it to your inits file:
Spoiler for Oliver made this!:
Remove "sys/" if you're not putting it in a system folder, or rename it to whatever folder the images will go into.

To actually use this you're going to want to do something akin to the following:

show rainback scroll
show rainfront scroll
show character expression behind rainfront at screenpos

That will cause the rainfront layer to appear over the character sprite but the rainback layer to appear behind them. "Scroll" causes the moving rain effect, "static" is there if for some reason you don't want the drops falling, like a flashback shot.

Like so:
Spoiler:

Old 2012-05-25, 03:16   Link #219
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Just finished Inquisition of the Golden Witch. Overall I enjoyed it, but I wish I would have been in the interactive part some more. I made the choice of
Spoiler:
so I kind of feel I got cut off way earlier than I should have. From what I understood reading on this board, I couldn't just restart and try and find a better path either...

The Tea Party was neat though, and the ??? was nice as well.
Old 2012-05-25, 09:26   Link #220
Captain Bluebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Actually I was wrong, the rain images are gigantic so they should function perfectly for just about any resolution you could want in RenPy.

"Short" Rain
"Medium" Rain
"Long" Rain

And the script, add it to your inits file:
Spoiler for Oliver made this!:
Remove "sys/" if you're not putting it in a system folder, or rename it to whatever folder the images will go into.

To actually use this you're going to want to do something akin to the following:

show rainback scroll
show rainfront scroll
show character expression behind rainfront at screenpos

That will cause the rainfront layer to appear over the character sprite but the rainback layer to appear behind them. "Scroll" causes the moving rain effect, "static" is there if for some reason you don't want the drops falling, like a flashback shot.

Like so:
Spoiler:
Thank you, this is indeed very handy. It looks way more authentic than the sappy rain effect I'd been using...
But for some reason, it gives me this error whenever I try to use it:
Spoiler for error:

It's tough to be blue...