Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-08-13, 22:39   Link #1361
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Would that be so bad, I mean other anime gotten that amount but many did not really showcase what the Light Novel is capable of. I say Oda Nobuna no Yabou deserves it, its story and plot is one of the best I ever read and I am usually modest.
When airing anime adaptations, it's mostly come down to story popularity and public demands. Before the anime was aired the LN got little attention. After it was aired it started getting more and more attention from people. It could be on the future they will continue to 25 episodes if they deemed it has earned quite alot of interests as exampled by SAO and AW(although SAO's adaptation is quite lacking in some part but I'll leave it at that to stay on topic). It doesn't matter whether the adaptation is good or bad, it's just comes down to people's interest of the adaptation and the whole series itself
Old 2012-08-13, 22:45   Link #1362
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Make sense considering that we're building more into the story and there's still some things that can be explored if given the proper time and care. I know it's based on production value but anime with a great story such as this one deserves more chances to expand the story and at the same time keep the pace of the original media in check.
I highly agree, Oda Nobuna no Yabou has great characters and great plot of story where it showcase what they are capable off. Also when face with uncertainly, the characters showcase different parts of them. If it can be explored even more, it will make things even more wonderful and enjoyable to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
When airing anime adaptations, it's mostly come down to story popularity and public demands. Before the anime was aired the LN got little attention. After it was aired it started getting more and more attention from people. It could be on the future they will continue to 25 episodes if they deemed it has earned quite alot of interests as exampled by SAO and AW(although SAO's adaptation is quite lacking in some part but I'll leave it at that to stay on topic). It doesn't matter whether the adaptation is good or bad, it's just comes down to people's interest of the adaptation and the whole series itself
True, if that is the case I am expecting another season because the anime has been really good. Especially if they leave it at vol 4. The preview of the next season will be about Takeda Shingen coming into the mix which would be great to start off.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 22:48   Link #1363
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:

True, if that is the case I am expecting another season because the anime has been really good. Especially if they leave it at vol 4. The preview of the next season will be about Takeda Shingen coming into the mix which would be great to start off.
This question might probably be kinda late, but is it already stated officially that it'll be 12 episodes?
Old 2012-08-13, 22:53   Link #1364
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
This question might probably be kinda late, but is it already stated officially that it'll be 12 episodes?
Many people say it is 12, but I never went to double check. Anime these days are 12 episodes which is really weird. Oda Nobuna no Yabou is a type of Light Novel where there is enough content for the anime to cover 25 episode though, but being most are 12 I generally went with it when people say that.
Old 2012-08-13, 23:04   Link #1365
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Many people say it is 12, but I never went to double check. Anime these days are 12 episodes which is really weird. Oda Nobuna no Yabou is a type of Light Novel where there is enough content for the anime to cover 25 episode though, but being most are 12 I generally went with it when people say that.
As far as my knowledge goes, no official information released about how many episodes it'll be so I think 12 episodes at this time is still a speculation. Although it is indeed most anime goes by 12 episodes now since it follows broadcasting seasons. But if anything, nothing at this point is a sure point yet, until there's official info about it.
Old 2012-08-13, 23:16   Link #1366
XxSleepyxX
Learner

Quote:
The same thing could be said about horizon or DxD. But those ended up being 12 episodes as well. Its mainly based off of popularity. If its popularity it'll get more funding which means more eps. If it recently was an unknown than it'll just be 12 episodes. Oda wasn't really popular LN wise prior to the airing of the anime. So more than likely it'll just be 12 episodes. Oda isn't like SAO. SAOs been up in the light novel rankings and has a dedicated fanbase. You got to remember no matter how popular something is outside of Japan. Everything comes down to how much Japan likes it.
Old 2012-08-13, 23:17   Link #1367
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

I remember someone saying Oda Nobuna no Yabou was ranked 58 in the Oricon Light Novel rankings. Despite it no being so popular as some other notable ones, I think the anime will boaster it up afterwards seeing it is one of the best to watch of 2012.
Old 2012-08-13, 23:29   Link #1368
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSleepyxX View Post
The same thing could be said about horizon or DxD. But those ended up being 12 episodes as well. Its mainly based off of popularity. If its popularity it'll get more funding which means more eps. If it recently was an unknown than it'll just be 12 episodes. Oda wasn't really popular LN wise prior to the airing of the anime. So more than likely it'll just be 12 episodes. Oda isn't like SAO. SAOs been up in the light novel rankings and has a dedicated fanbase. You got to remember no matter how popular something is outside of Japan. Everything comes down to how much Japan likes it.
This. Popularity is what feeds decisions into adaptations, despite that we might disagree regarding this. One can observe many titles with potential that fail to be adapted into other forms simply because they do not garner enough attention.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 00:33   Link #1369
larethian

Quote:
Would that be so bad, I mean other anime gotten that amount but many did not really showcase what the Light Novel is capable of. I say Oda Nobuna no Yabou deserves it, its story and plot is one of the best I ever read and I am usually modest.
No offense, if you think this is among the best, I'd say you are pretty new to the world of light novels then (correct me if I'm wrong). I can't really comment on the overall quality of the LN itself since I haven't really read it. But storywise based on summaries and spoilers, I would say it's entertaining and the way it makes use of historical elements to weave a story is pretty good, but I wouldn't consider the plot to be of the level that will give me mindgasms over the course of days, weeks, or months after reading an arc. You need to get hold of one of those. Of course, such things can be subjective.

And with regards to 1 cour adaptation, there are already tons of light novels that get the 1-cour treatment. I'm too busy to tell a long story here, but I'm sure there are many that can fill you in on the reasons and rationale and provide various examples.

Quote:
I remember someone saying Oda Nobuna no Yabou was ranked 58 in the Oricon Light Novel rankings. Despite it no being so popular as some other notable ones, I think the anime will boaster it up afterwards seeing it is one of the best to watch of 2012.
It's not Oricon but "This Light Novel is Amazing" (aka Konorano). There are a variety of factors that affect the ranking, and it has nothing to do with sales nor popularity (ok part of it has to do with popularity indeed, but it needs to compete with other LNs for the votes). The ranking however, if high enough, might boost the sales in the following year. Popularity not necessarily equal to Quality of story. "Konorano" tries to rank them in terms of amazingness (or quality of the story, writing, etc.) rather than sales. But still, there are actually a good number of stories that still miss getting in due to a variety of reasons (one of them being less frequent releases, or more niched themes, or shit writing). Oh yeah, that ranking was the previous year's. Still, with light novels numbering by the hundreds, getting into top 60 is already a feat.

Last edited by larethian; 2012-08-14 at 00:44.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 01:22   Link #1370
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Old 2012-08-14, 01:28   Link #1371
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
And with regards to 1 cour adaptation, there are already tons of light novels that get the 1-cour treatment. I'm too busy to tell a long story here, but I'm sure there are many that can fill you in on the reasons and rationale and provide various examples.
I don't like long stories either unless they're epic sagas, so I'll summarized it with two points:

Cost and Working Schedule.

The money doesn't come from the studio's own pockets, there are tons of other sponsors involve in the behind-the-scenes meetings. If they are not able, or not willing to cough up the money then that's it. The second important factor is whether or not the studio themselves have the manpower and the time to work on a 2 cour series.

How many LNs in recent times have 2 cours anyway? Muv-Luv, SAO, AW, Durarara, Index, Shana, Toradora, Gosick, Denyuuden, CSR, Rental Magica, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Shounen Onmyouji... It's kinda all over the place... Though about half are paid by Dengeki so that's something I guess

If Popularity was truly the deciding factor, Bakemono would have 24 episodes just like that... Same with BakaTest and they certainly have the material to back it up.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-08-20 at 21:59. Reason: I forgot one
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 01:47   Link #1372
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

yeah baka test anime was a let down 12 episode every couple of years sucks and dont get me started on spice and wolf
Old 2012-08-14, 02:07   Link #1373
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't like long stories either unless they're epic sagas, so I'll summarized it with two points:

Cost and Working Schedule.

The money doesn't come from the studio's own pockets, there are tons of other sponsors involve in the behind-the-scenes meetings. If they are not able, or not willing to cough up the money then that's it. The second important factor is whether or not the studio themselves have the manpower and the time to work on a 2 cour series.

How many LNs in recent times have 2 cours anyway? Muv-Luv, SAO, AW, Durarara, Index, Shana, Toradora, Gosick, Denyuuden, CSR, Rental Magica, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki... It's kinda all over the place... Though about half are paid by Dengeki so that's something I guess

If Popularity was truly the deciding factor, Bakemono would have 24 episodes just like that... Same with BakaTest and they certainly have the material to back it up.
Popularity of the series itself is also quite important. What's the point of animating a series that doesn't have a high popularity in the first place? I'd say all 3 factors(money, working schedule, and popularity) are at equal importance
Old 2012-08-14, 02:16   Link #1374
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Popularity of the series itself is also quite important. What's the point of animating a series that doesn't have a high popularity in the first place? I'd say all 3 factors(money, working schedule, and popularity) are at equal importance
Because it's through the Anime that most of those LN stories become super popular.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 02:23   Link #1375
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
Because it's through the Anime that most of those LN stories become super popular.
That's why I said all 3 factors are important. If they know the series won't be popular even if they animated it then they won't animate it in the first place

The rest of my sentence got erased

Here's the rest :
Even If they got the money and schedule, it won't get a second cour if it's not popular amongst the viewers
Old 2012-08-14, 03:12   Link #1376
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Well if LN do not have a popularity to begin wityh they will not be animated. In other words LN have to be popular before animation starts otherwise there will be no animation.

Anime;s popularity can increase or have no affect to LN. For exam,ple game Kimikiss was very, very popular and the subpar animation of it had no effect on it, if anything it only made the fans of the game dissaointed by the crappy animation of the original material and as a result turned Kimikiss anime a fail in that summers anime market despite the original's immense popularity.

Zero no Tsukaima anime barely had any bigger impact on the LN. Maybe the first season was bit better in that regard but other seasons were more or less irrelevant to LN sales.

Haruhi novels already enjoyed big popularity before the anime was made.

So I wont say that anime is a road to novel being popular. It can increase number of fans if played well, but as a whole I would say - popular novel is a road to anime, first.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 04:25   Link #1377
XxSleepyxX
Learner

Quote:
That's why I said all 3 factors are important. If they know the series won't be popular even if they animated it then they won't animate it in the first place

The rest of my sentence got erased

Here's the rest :
Even If they got the money and schedule, it won't get a second cour if it's not popular amongst the viewers
Actually the first part is wrong. I'm guessing you've never seen oreimo? Its mainly correct. Sometimes if they don't have enough series to fill the slots for a season they'll look for "sacrificial lambs." These tend to be ecchi. Since if its ecchi they'll focus more on the ecchi scenes and voice work than the actual animation of story.

Nowadays animating something is expensive. Studios don't have a unlimited budget and all shows must meet a certain standard. Its not like how it was 8 years ago when you'd could get a series with over 24 episodes the time has come and passed. Bakemontagari was a pretty bad example. Most people read it because of the bizarre. unique and hilarious dialogue Niso uses. The montogari series may only be 12 episodes but the animation is top-notch. They decided to sacrifice a 24 episode plot-line for better animation quality. Index was scrutinized because the animation would drop near the mid-to ending of the season. Basically what it comes down to how much money their given and what type of VAs are hired. Better VAs gives them leniency in some areas. Even fate/zero was given an insane budget yet it was split into two seasons.

Animes are used mainly as a marketing tool for people to buy the original product whether it be a novel or a manga or a visual novel. Most visual novels that get animated are based the slice of life/high school theme that have their romantic/gaggy moments. Anime would be like a appetizer to a three course meal. Your essentially venturing into the unknown. If you personally think the plot sucks you can blame the scriptwriter who did it. Its not up to the animation studio to decide what gets animated its the scriptwriter who gives them the script. How well the animation gets animated depends on how much money they get for the budget. In the end it comes down to money. Its like what Shirojiro said money is everything. When it comes down to it anime gets animated for money.

Well less see how Oda does animewise.
Firstly the studio which is animating it is Mad House meaning their putting most of their budget into animation. Secondly one of the lead heads on the art is Miyama-Zero who did the artwork for the novel. His works are based purely off of art meaning he gets paid a lot of money to draw for a living. He wasn't even the lead artist when they worked on DxD. It means when you see the boxart for the Oda it'll probably be the art used in anime... sinces its practically the same thing. Lastly you come to the VAs. If you seen the VAs its not very impressive. Other the person who does the role for Nobuna the other VAs are mostly new and have barely done a few roles. I mean even the guy who does Kirito in SAO is a new VA.

In conclusion I don't see Oda being remotely close to 12 episodes. Why? Because the animation. Have you seen it? That's where most of the money is going towards. If it was going to be a 24 episode season you'd probably have people complain about framerates drops or w/e. The reason why Mad House is even doing Oda is because the producers saw that Oda has a potential to be great that isn't focused primarily on ecchi. Although I went on a tangent we should really stop debating on this subject. This isn't the place to do it. Theirs probably a general section you can debate it to your hearts content.

Miyama-zero is known for his loli drawings if a lot of you haven't noticed. A lot of the pictues of Oda... are much more rancier than the pictures for DxD. Oda is getting attention from the Japanese LN Community since the novels are actually getting ranked. If your wondering how a anime can get more than 12 eps. The original source material has to be able to be seen by a wide range of ages as well as liked by both sexes. SAO or Accel World in that matter would be perfect examples. Just think of it this way would you really read DxD or Oda if it was drawn by a subpar artist? Personally I could still read Oda, but the drawings are what got me hooked to DxD in the first place.

Spoiler for Game?:
Old 2012-08-14, 09:42   Link #1378
willx
Nyaaan~~

My 2-cents in this debate is that not being in Japan (and even when I was there back in April) I had no idea this series existed at all! No signage, no posters, no idea an anime was coming out for it..

The plot, however, is incredibly clever and manages to target the "audience" of animes and light novels incredibly well. A tie-in related to war, video games and attractive girls? WIN.

The animation quality and the budget seem incredibly high, considering how most people are saying this LN was not well known. I'd say the budget for this series looks higher than that of the DxD anime and other animes this season! The studio has done a FANTASTIC job. You can clearly tell the difference when you look at the backgrounds and the character drawing detail..

I'm of the view this is the sleeper hit of the season and will pull more and more people into the light novel. Conversely, the flip side of this debate is that "Mahouka" STILL doesn't have an anime and it's a super popular light novel now!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 10:05   Link #1379
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
No offense, if you think this is among the best, I'd say you are pretty new to the world of light novels then (correct me if I'm wrong). I can't really comment on the overall quality of the LN itself since I haven't really read it. But storywise based on summaries and spoilers, I would say it's entertaining and the way it makes use of historical elements to weave a story is pretty good, but I wouldn't consider the plot to be of the level that will give me mindgasms over the course of days, weeks, or months after reading an arc. You need to get hold of one of those. Of course, such things can be subjective.

It's not Oricon but "This Light Novel is Amazing" (aka Konorano). There are a variety of factors that affect the ranking, and it has nothing to do with sales nor popularity (ok part of it has to do with popularity indeed, but it needs to compete with other LNs for the votes). The ranking however, if high enough, might boost the sales in the following year. Popularity not necessarily equal to Quality of story. "Konorano" tries to rank them in terms of amazingness (or quality of the story, writing, etc.) rather than sales. But still, there are actually a good number of stories that still miss getting in due to a variety of reasons (one of them being less frequent releases, or more niched themes, or shit writing). Oh yeah, that ranking was the previous year's. Still, with light novels numbering by the hundreds, getting into top 60 is already a feat.
Thanks for the correction for the Oricon rankings. As for the Light Novel, I love it. Of course people all got different or similar tastes. I read several Light Novels and Oda Nobuna no Yabou peeked my interest. I love it for the plot, story, and characters. Of course the occasional ecchi momnets are good as well, but it doesn't heavily focus in the series which I like.
Old 2012-08-14, 10:33   Link #1380
justpassingby

Probably the anime is going to alter some events in vol 4 just to fit the 12-ish episode limit.
I think this scene here from the OP is supposed to be the scene when Nobuna and the gang + Imagawa (:P) went to the Eizan for the Reconciliation Treaty.

Spoiler for Before Char was mainstream :
Well Yoshikage died anyway, and then reborn as a demon
Practically you can say people died in the novel. But when the livings can just meet them in dreams or a person possessed a new body just so that she can says that she is someone who's living in the dream world.....I loled

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-08-14 at 17:52. Reason: brainfart... tired 2. forgot to mention the painting was on the wall huehuehue
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, alternate universe, ecchi, fake harem, fantasia bunko, ga bunko, harem, historical, romance, sengoku jidai, shounen, true harem