Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-10-27, 02:32   Link #61
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Well, I've beaten the game...

Time for completion: 42:51:04
Max combo: 81

Yay! Unfortunately for me, I began to pick up on the FoF system a little late in the game and still don't entirely understand it. In the end I only managed to unlock the FoF modifications on about 5 of Luke's Artes, so I must ask, is there some way to figuring out which fields modify which artes? While the system is fun, it is a little confusing as it is niether explained well in the game and some of the modifications don't seem to make much sense to me. For example, 'Light Beam Cannon' and a flame FoF produce something like 'briliant flash' (I can't recall the name off hand) which is a light type artes - shouldn't it be a flame type? Sadly, I did the same thing with the C.Cores... I neglected it completely and it came back to bite me. Nothing tops performing a Mystic Artes which hits perfectly and inflicting only 4000 damage when three swipes with Luke's sword would inflict 5400 (it should go without saying that my Fonon attack stat was dismally low).

Overall, the story was awesome and I'm going to have to replay it mainly because I missed just about all the side quests and events. The only one I completed on the first time through was finding a small box for an Engave merchant in Cheagle Woods. >.>; Oh well, double EXP and C.Core carry over here I come!
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 20:35   Link #62
Badaro
Blue Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper View Post
Yay! Unfortunately for me, I began to pick up on the FoF system a little late in the game and still don't entirely understand it. In the end I only managed to unlock the FoF modifications on about 5 of Luke's Artes, so I must ask, is there some way to figuring out which fields modify which artes?
My suggestion: Have Anise cast spells to create Light or Dark FoF, and try the skill once on each field. Since:

Light = Wind + Fire
and
Dark = Water + Earth

It ends up being much faster than testing each of the four individual fields.

Also, some techs don't have FoF changes. More specifically:

- Tear's Songs
- Any tech you learn through a sidequest
- Any tech that is a combination of two others

Hope that helps!

[]s Badaro
Badaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 17:13   Link #63
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

That's a good idea, now all I need to do is use Anise in my standard party. ^^:
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 09:49   Link #64
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

The easiest FoF attack for me was Maelstorm, Anise's FoF of Bloody Howling, simply as it creates the field necessary for the change itself.

Quick question for people who have the US version: Is the Lorelai's Jewel bug fixed? It kinda breaks the game in difficulty
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 11:37   Link #65
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
What was the bug exactly?

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 19:01   Link #66
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Basically:

Spoiler for Penultimate Boss:
Old 2006-10-29, 19:20   Link #67
Sides

Since we're talking about bugs,
has the Asch bug been fixed ?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 02:29   Link #68
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Reading on gamefaqs, they've fixed the Jewel bug. Not sure about the Asch one, but that would also be fixed I'd guess.
Old 2006-10-30, 07:03   Link #69
Cinnabon-chan
Wilde Changeling Childe

Send a message via AIM to Cinnabon-chan Send a message via MSN to Cinnabon-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Cinnabon-chan
I guess I have to import this, Namco wouldn't notice if Europe was blasted with the doomsday device and left a smoking crater tomorrow.

I can't wait to get Tear's Grand Cross spell. It#s sooooo pretty! I love how Tear is a mix of Raine's healing and light elment spells, and Colette's melee and Angel Skills. I'm gonna be playing her most.
Cinnabon-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-07, 20:37   Link #70
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Tales of the Abyss

I'm surprised no one posted this but damn this is a very good 2006 RPG. I love this more than the overhyped FF12. If you are familiar with the series, there isnt much to tell you but it's definately something you need to add to your game library.

If you havent played any of the Tales series, then this is a good one to try. It's a blend of RPG and hack n slash. The combat are real time and 3D this time around (very similar to Grandia). Compare to other rpgs, Tales of the Abyss remain true to it's anime root from character design, story and it's humor.

The story is pretty generic "teen save world" theme but there's enough twist and plots in it to keep you moving ahead in the game. Personally, saving the world is more of a backdrop compare to watching your main character grow.

The main attraction for me in this game is the skits that occur between your character. It really builds the personality of each character in the game (as opposed to FF12, which i find it extremely lacking and dull). The humour in them are genuinely funny.

The only few complains i have with the game is the lag during travels in the world map and the game is quite long ( i thought i was gonna finish the game twice only to realized there's more). Tho, the story does wrap up quite nicely in the end.

The other one is the details of the game sprite. With PS2 capability, i personally think they could have add more details to em to give each character more expression. The US version ones also doesnt have voice acting for the skits compare to the Jap version and there's a lot of skits in this game (~400). So i cant help feeling a bit ripped off as the VA was actually pretty decent.

Overall, it's one of the better if not the best RPG game out on PS2 for 2006.

here's the OP video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItsBt7tO_bA
Old 2007-03-07, 23:01   Link #71
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It's not that no one cares...

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=27513

Either way, I agree with you. I consider it one of the best RPGs of 2006. It has it's own shares of lows, but like you said, the beauty of Abyss is seeing how almost every character grows. Unlike some RPGs where some characters are just there for the sake of filling the roster, even minor non-playable characters in Abyss seem rich and well-developed for their particular role. Luke's character development is easily one of the best things about Abyss.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 01:42   Link #72
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I'm surprised no one posted this but damn this is a very good 2006 RPG. I love this more than the overhyped FF12. If you are familiar with the series, there isnt much to tell you but it's definately something you need to add to your game library.

If you havent played any of the Tales series, then this is a good one to try. It's a blend of RPG and hack n slash. The combat are real time and 3D this time around (very similar to Grandia). Compare to other rpgs, Tales of the Abyss remain true to it's anime root from character design, story and it's humor.

The story is pretty generic "teen save world" theme but there's enough twist and plots in it to keep you moving ahead in the game. Personally, saving the world is more of a backdrop compare to watching your main character grow.

The main attraction for me in this game is the skits that occur between your character. It really builds the personality of each character in the game (as opposed to FF12, which i find it extremely lacking and dull). The humour in them are genuinely funny.

The only few complains i have with the game is the lag during travels in the world map and the game is quite long ( i thought i was gonna finish the game twice only to realized there's more). Tho, the story does wrap up quite nicely in the end.

The other one is the details of the game sprite. With PS2 capability, i personally think they could have add more details to em to give each character more expression. The US version ones also doesnt have voice acting for the skits compare to the Jap version and there's a lot of skits in this game (~400). So i cant help feeling a bit ripped off as the VA was actually pretty decent.

Overall, it's one of the better if not the best RPG game out on PS2 for 2006.

here's the OP video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItsBt7tO_bA
What annoyed me more than the lag is that at one point I saved and it seems to have lost the address for the map theme and keeps pointing to whatever song was playing before I entered the world map. Apparentely this is not uncommon at all.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 15:58   Link #73
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
very similar to Grandia
NO. Grandia is turn-based, while the Tales of games are completely real-time.
Quote:
definately
I'm getting quite tired of seeing people post this misspelling everywhere. It's DEFINITELY.
Old 2007-03-08, 16:53   Link #74
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post

I'm getting quite tired of seeing people post this misspelling everywhere. It's DEFINITELY.
It's still better than Defiantly which is the new spelling of Definitely apparently.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 19:50   Link #75
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post

That's the word I got out on in the regional middle school spelling bee 12 years ago, and that's how I spelled it - think I got it from my Dad...he spells it that way. I definitely carry a grudge against the word :P
Old 2007-03-10, 12:50   Link #76
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post

The story is pretty generic "teen save world"
Stopped reading there.

Bad.
Old 2007-03-14, 02:10   Link #77
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Anise didn't seem to get too much development...
I agree that Luke's development from brat to the end was magnificent. I honestly can say that this is one of the few cases that I've went from downright hate for a character to respect.

As with all other Tales games, love the battles. Comboing is just plain fun. ^^
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 15:45   Link #78
Goldsickle

What does Anise wear underneath her short dress? Bloomers? Spats? Shorts?
Goldsickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 07:35   Link #79
toru daito

Tales of Abyss is the best RPG game 2006!!
anyone know IF by any chance this great game will be made into anime??
(another tales series that i forgot the name had been made into anime..
may be tales of legendia,if i'm not mistaken)

Please tell me if you have any info of ToA!!THANKS!!
toru daito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 10:42   Link #80
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toru daito View Post
Tales of Abyss is the best RPG game 2006!!
anyone know IF by any chance this great game will be made into anime??
(another tales series that i forgot the name had been made into anime..
may be tales of legendia,if i'm not mistaken)

Please tell me if you have any info of ToA!!THANKS!!
Well, ToS will be getting an anime soon. If it make success, maybe ToA will get an anime too, who knows?
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote