5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.44%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-14, 18:06   Link #81
flack

It seems that most of the space ships in recent Gundam shows have their control station build at the most vulnerable position possible that sticks out.

This episode... you call that hiding the ship? Lmao...

And seriously the enemy is freaking retarded, they wait until repairs are almost done to commence assault.

Just when I got my hopes up that this show is picking up on a bit of realistic side of war this happens...
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 18:09   Link #82
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Remind me again when Gundam was ever realistic in warfare? And Gundam is hardly the only offender of the vulnerable bridge aspect in human warships. Lots of media does that.
Old 2012-05-14, 18:13   Link #83
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Hardly recent trend where they build the bridge exposed. The original White Base bridge is build like a watch tower as well and that design has been carried over ever since in the entire UC and AU universe, you can say it's almost tradition.

And yeah, warfare in Gundam are not realistic, not even the supposed "militaristic" focused UC side stories. The realism in Gundam is in regards to how it portrays war's EFFECT on people, and this episode of AGE actually showed some good stuff there.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 20:57   Link #84
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

most warships have a bridge like that, Gundam is not being unrealistic in that respect.
Old 2012-05-14, 22:34   Link #85
Dark Wing

Now I don't know if this has been brought up yet but Kio seems kind of strange in this episode like almost nothing fazes him like maybe Flit really has been conditioning Kio.
Old 2012-05-14, 23:04   Link #86
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
most warships have a bridge like that, Gundam is not being unrealistic in that respect.
Cause space is an ocean right?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 23:11   Link #87
erapath

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Ah, I just saw that one of the Phantom 3 got into the character page even though he only had screentime in one episode
Btw, why did Wootbit have the last name 'Gunhale' if his mother is Arisa?
Because he has no right to use Asuno that he is illegitimate child.
erapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 23:19   Link #88
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
People Say that the Universe is not more than a Space Ocean, open to be explored as our ancestor explore the earth...

that are little details pass, in the next episode we going to see the other 'Char Clone' and one of the most original one... Fat, a little proud, like a men with nothing without loss, and in tandem with Zehart... that would be interesting
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 01:01   Link #89
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
your reading comprehension is awful.

The space battles of Gundam are based on naval warfare. For example the ranks they use in the different forces are naval ranks. That should be a big give away right there of what Tomino was using as reference. I said that taking that into consideration, the ship designs aren't that unrealistic
Old 2012-05-15, 02:18   Link #90
JediNight
キズランダム

It makes some sense to have a "watchtower bridge" with a naval ship, as being able to make visual confirmation if your electronics get damaged would be invaluable, amongst other things I'm sure.

In space though, the combat distances and speeds are going to be so large that it doesn't really make any sense to have an exposed bridge. Ideally you would have the bridge in a reinforced bulkhead in the center of the ship. Because if you ever lost electronics, there really isn't anything you could effectively do anyways.

(Although given how everything in Gundam seems to explode after shooting it 1-3 times, it wouldn't help as much I suppose heh... More realistically, you would have shots punch thru the ship and seal off vented sections like a battleship taking on water. It would take a very lucky/specific shot to actually cause an explosion large enough to break up the ship, etc.)

But as others have said, Gundam is about the effects on people. You don't really look to it for realistic warfare. (Except maybe 8th MS Team?)
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 02:40   Link #91
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
It makes some sense to have a "watchtower bridge" with a naval ship, as being able to make visual confirmation if your electronics get damaged would be invaluable, amongst other things I'm sure.

In space though, the combat distances and speeds are going to be so large that it doesn't really make any sense to have an exposed bridge.
In Gundam, those distances are "a few meters" and those speeds are "a few meters per second"...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 03:42   Link #92
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

The only argument that is plausible is that these ships sometimes would operate under gravity thus giving you the sensation of up/down so you build the ships with the usual up/down orientation.

However for pure space battleships limiting your ships in that orientation would probably be deadly as you should be expecting fire from 360 degree as equally likely (unlike on Earth), though you would probably need to derive a new method of command and battle as things would start to get weird because without gravity your biological senses of direction are wacked and you need other references to properly give directions and navigate. Sadly this probably goes way beyond what most people can grasp and understand in their entertainment so it's not something that is spent time on. I believe the only anime show that has gone to lengths of portraying proper 3D space battle was the Crest of Stars series.
Old 2012-05-15, 03:52   Link #93
larethian

Minerva has the ability to shield its bridge though.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 05:07   Link #94
JediNight
キズランダム

I think the basic design of ships in like LOGH and the Earth Fed generic battleships is actually one of the best for space warfare. You want to present a slim profile ahead while maximizing the number of guns you can bring to bear. At the same time, it's impractical to have omnidirectional weapons systems, so you would stick with the above design.

It would provide a very slim profile for front/rear/top/bottom. And anyone attacking broadside would be facing a lot of guns still. Or you could turn the ship...
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 05:35   Link #95
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
The only argument that is plausible is that these ships sometimes would operate under gravity thus giving you the sensation of up/down so you build the ships with the usual up/down orientation.

However for pure space battleships limiting your ships in that orientation would probably be deadly as you should be expecting fire from 360 degree as equally likely (unlike on Earth), though you would probably need to derive a new method of command and battle as things would start to get weird because without gravity your biological senses of direction are wacked and you need other references to properly give directions and navigate. Sadly this probably goes way beyond what most people can grasp and understand in their entertainment so it's not something that is spent time on. I believe the only anime show that has gone to lengths of portraying proper 3D space battle was the Crest of Stars series.
... Their hyperspace is 2D... (That's why it's called "Plane Space", I guess)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 05:40   Link #96
grss1982

Spoiler for About Episode 32 Sneak Preview:
Old 2012-05-15, 07:58   Link #97
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

I've never really bothered to watch this anime, and here I see it's already in it's 31st episode. How does this fare against it's predecessors? Gundum00, Seed? etc? I've watched almost all Gundums except for this one which is weird. Must be the art... maybe the shota...
Old 2012-05-15, 07:58   Link #98
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... Their hyperspace is 2D... (That's why it's called "Plane Space", I guess)
It's been awhile and you are correct, I just remembered that the series made the space battles plausible and realistic, and the author had to do it by invoking sci-fi and completely writing out the Z axis lol.
Old 2012-05-15, 07:59   Link #99
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Shenlua is sending text messages about the AGE Builder!!! she is the Spy and that is why the Vagan's are gonna have some Gundams later on due to the leak infos about its technology!!!

j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-15, 12:49   Link #100
janipani

Character relations are badly written, but fortunately the show is still entertaining. But I wish next Gundam will put more effort in characters again.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote