AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-10-19, 15:46   Link #321
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
-Occsionally aliens can see and shoot me when I can't see them. Often happens with Sectopods.
That is probably the artillery strike attack. It can only do that every 2nd turn. And it just fires where it thinks you are according to the noise you make. You are allowed to do the same with your rockets.
Old 2012-10-19, 17:21   Link #322
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Arghhh this is driving me nuts

Based in Africa I'm trying to consolidate and promote as many soldiers as possible but the AI is so damn annoying.

It was already annoying in normal where the AI had almost perfect accuracy and dodge and it's just multiplied two fold....

I was thinking of skipping beam weapons and try to go straight to plasma but now I'm having second thoughts....
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 19:10   Link #323
Key Board
Carbon

I cleared the alien base with

Light Plasma (steal at least 4 of these from Thin Men). I completely ignored Beam/Laser tree
Carapace and Alien Grenade updates. You'll have to capture at least one live Muton to get Alien Grenade, but I think it's really optional.
I also had a sniper, but she was carrying a regular ballistic sniper. She was mostly for disabling Mutons.
and keep in mind there are about 3 waves of Chrysalids. 3 in the starting room. 3 in the containment room, and 3 more in the room where the base commander is.

As other's said, it's best to do it near the end of the month.
But don't wait for TOO long, otherwise Berserkers might spawn inside the alien base. And you do not want that. (don't wait for Titan armor)

I actually prefer light plasma to regular plasma until my team has enough ranked enough.
Light Plasma and inherent +10 to aim. Very useful. It also criticals for around 9 to 12 damage.

If you have one on an Assault Class it can frequently one hit kill a Chrysalid and point blank. Just remember that they travel in packs of 3.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2012-10-19 at 19:22.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 23:55   Link #324
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
and keep in mind there are about 3 waves of Chrysalids. 3 in the starting room. 3 in the containment room, and 3 more in the room where the base commander is.
This isn't actually quite true. The layout of the alien base and the arrangement of enemies actually changes per playthrough, since there are actually different base layouts. On my last Alien Base Assault on Classic, I only came across 1 Chryssalid group, but had to fight more Mutons, Thin Men and Floaters. Also, the base itself was different: The central chamber now had a central raised "hill" in the middle before you get to the door, and the last chamber with the Sectoid Commander had high platforms flanking the device instead of one giant platform overlooking it from the front. The last change was particularly funny since it allowed me to sneak up to the Sectoid Commander and drop in on it without it being able to do anything.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 01:57   Link #325
Key Board
Carbon

then well.. just remember that Chrysallids always move in packs of 3

unless in Terror missions where things can spiral out of control fast. Always expect more.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-10-20, 03:23   Link #326
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Archangel like the Ghost armour provides +20 defence and allows you to bypass obstacles and prevents you from getting flanked. Plus you have a clear line of sight barring any major objects to everyone on the field.
I dunno, you having clear LoS of everyone is practically suicide in Impossible. Sure you can shoot at everyone, but everyone can shoot at you. And with them getting +Aim bonuses, for sure you're going to lost in a 'fair fight'. Heck even I don't trust full cover (40 def) + hunker down (another 40 def) + ghost armor (20 def) + tactical sense (up to 20 def) at that difficulty (frigging Sectapods cheat with their +aim modifier I swear!), much less half cover that flying provides.

Quote:
It's a godsend when you got chrysallids and berserkers coming at you and your all flanked so by taking up into the air not only do you defend yourself but you all get a free shot at them. Granted I suppose Ghost has the same with stealth but you can use the armor longer.
Nah, I'd rather stealth up and clear the room of any big threats first. For example, I have had trouble with groups of Sectapods with AAA, but rather trivial with ghost armor. Stealth 100% crit rate + rapid fire or Heat ammo made quick work of those nasty little buggers, as every Plasma equipped Heavy or Assault practically oneshots them.

Chrys/Bersekers IMO aren't really much of a threat, considering I don't have to worry about weapon fragments so I can use all my explosives on them if I don't have CCS Assault. Like in first terror mission, I found the floaters to be more dangerous as I just double rocket the chrys to the face.

Quote:
Just a question...since I'm grinding before even getting to the alien base if you get to plasma does that mean the Mutons will come into being? Or do the more advanced aliens come in as you go through the priority missions?
AFAIK, apart from psionic enemies (which are only unlocked in the priority missions), the enemies you face are dictated by the month you are in. You do Alien Base in month 2? Guaranteed no sectapods/heavy floaters etc. You do it in month 7? You can bet on it.

So really, I find that doing alien base ASAP helps better in impossible because of the -2 panic on every country.... because really, the first few months are the hardest in impossible. Once you have satellite coverage up, abductions dont happen in that country anymore AFAIK (as my experience after covering everything with satellites are all UFO/terror/council missions, so need to worry about panic if you can win every one of them)

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 04:14   Link #327
Blaat

Ignoring the base has its advantages as well e.g. no sectoid commanders in crash/landed UFO missions, they're definitely harder than outsiders.
And you can ignore mission related research as long as possible: not getting arc weapons or building a interrogation facility. This saves money early game and some time on certain researches as well.
Quote:
I was thinking of skipping beam weapons and try to go straight to plasma but now I'm having second thoughts....
I get it why people say you can skip beam weapons I really do but I think they're ignoring the costs of plasma weapons, the time to research them and the fact you need to research an extras step before you get to rifles, sniper and heavy plasma weapons.
I think you can skip beam weapons on lower difficulty or when you're save scumming but on higher difficulties and ironman beam weapons are nice to have and make difference for early/mid game.

On the other hand beam pistols can be skipped. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
-Enemies suddenly pop out of no where.
-Occsionally aliens can see and shoot me when I can't see them. Often happens with Sectopods.
-Direct hits sometimes don't hit at all. It hangs in a action shot and doesn't register the hit at all.
-The annoying elevation bug. The cursor seems to like highlighting the lower levels instead of the level the soldier is on.
The first two are not bugs, as I said in my previous post the aliens teleport around the map. So when they appear out of nowhere they've just teleported in a little of fog war that still nearby.
The second one is also not a bug, it's possible for your troops to have LoS on aliens and shoot at them while the aliens doesn't see your troops. So the opposite can also happen.

The last two are really annoying bugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Research and Engineering are just not going fast enough for me so I get behind in weapons and armor.
It's tempting to go for every thing both in terms of research and building but really it's best you focus on or two aspects and ignore the rest until later.
For example when I first beat classic ironman I didn't even bother researching a nexus, while a nexus saves space but it doesn't necessarily save you money so I sold most of my working nav computers for cheap cash ($75 per working nav computer) and you can always get it later after you have nothing better to research.
Starting location is also important: North American start gives you more cash but the continental bonus doesn't save you money (you only need one interceptor per continent) other hand Asia start saves you lots of money ($400 in terms of officer training upgrades, more for foundry upgrades) and with Africa you have a nice 30% more money per country bonus.
While it's possible to safe every country in classic mode, I wouldn't recommend doing that if you want to finish it for the first time. Make a list of seven countries you can drop due to a combination of giving low money or a continental bonus that doesn't make a huge difference and ignore those countries and let them walk out.
Old 2012-10-20, 06:16   Link #328
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I dunno, you having clear LoS of everyone is practically suicide in Impossible. Sure you can shoot at everyone, but everyone can shoot at you. And with them getting +Aim bonuses, for sure you're going to lost in a 'fair fight'. Heck even I don't trust full cover (40 def) + hunker down (another 40 def) + ghost armor (20 def) + tactical sense (up to 20 def) at that difficulty (frigging Sectapods cheat with their +aim modifier I swear!), much less half cover that flying provides.
That's why Archangel Armor is best equipped on Squad Sight Snipers: you can see them, but they can't see you, since you're ensuring that your Sniper is never seen by the enemy. Having 95-100% chance to hit with a Plasma SS Sniper turns any map with long sightlines (like UFO crash recovery missions) into a joke, at least when the combat takes place outside.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-10-20, 12:58   Link #329
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Well the thing is my strategy involves moving slowly so what I do is send an assault to recon first. If she/he finds the enemy, I activate RUN and GUN and take to the air and get closer and open fire.

At the same time, I get everybody into the air and this gives them a clear LOS as well as higher accuracy and before I even end my turn all or most of the aliens are dead or running.

But I'm seriously having issues with Classic.

Quote:
Nah, I'd rather stealth up and clear the room of any big threats first. For example, I have had trouble with groups of Sectapods with AAA, but rather trivial with ghost armor. Stealth 100% crit rate + rapid fire or Heat ammo made quick work of those nasty little buggers, as every Plasma equipped Heavy or Assault practically oneshots them.
Does stealth also guarantee 100% hit if activated?

Quote:
AFAIK, apart from psionic enemies (which are only unlocked in the priority missions), the enemies you face are dictated by the month you are in. You do Alien Base in month 2? Guaranteed no sectapods/heavy floaters etc. You do it in month 7? You can bet on it.

So really, I find that doing alien base ASAP helps better in impossible because of the -2 panic on every country.... because really, the first few months are the hardest in impossible. Once you have satellite coverage up, abductions dont happen in that country anymore AFAIK (as my experience after covering everything with satellites are all UFO/terror/council missions, so need to worry about panic if you can win every one of them)
I don't know. I'm having so much trouble with classic it's not even funny. I'm at my first terror mission and I'm stuck with 4 guys with ballistic weaponry that can't even make a dent in the alien nor even hit them.

Is it possible to do normal and then switch to classic when your ready? If I do that does that increase the number of aliens and such?

Or does anyone have a list of what to do to ensure you survive through Classic?

Like I picked Africa and then what should I do? What should I research? etc....
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 00:29   Link #330
Key Board
Carbon

Africa is not a bad starting continent because you get a 30% funding increase every month

The thing you need to be careful about Classic is enemy spawn locations
if you walk into an alien spawn that triggers a cutscne, they will IMMEDIATELY get into cover.
And your poor scout will most likely be exposed and shot down the next alien turn

What you do is expand carefully. if they must come, let them come to you

if they come to you and it triggers a cutcene, they will immediately get into cover, but their turn will END right away.
They won't be attacking you the same turn.

The only exception to this rule are Chrysalids. Instead of going into cover, they will advance towards you.
Old 2012-10-21, 00:57   Link #331
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Does stealth also guarantee 100% hit if activated?
Nope, Ghost Mode doesn't guarantee 100% Chance To Hit. The only modifier it does to attacks is a +100% Critical Hit Chance, meaning that barring some massive Crit Chance reduction modifiers like range, you should always deal full damage with your weapon after firing from cloak.

I sometimes use Ghost Mode just for the increased Critical Hit Chance. Even closed Cyberdiscs , which are normally immune to Critical Hits can be dealt a 100% Critical Chance from cloak.

Old 2012-10-21, 01:05   Link #332
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Africa is not a bad starting continent because you get a 30% funding increase every month.
I am starting to think this too. Starting in America doesn't seem to help when the bonus only saves one or two hundred dollars a month at best. And that only applies when you have a full fleet of planes, by which time you would have obtained the bonus via satellites anyway.

Starting in Africa, then putting satellites in America, seem to be the way to maximise early earnings. But I still need to work on the math more.
Old 2012-10-21, 01:07   Link #333
Skane
Anime Snark

So I met my first Sectopod... and wow. Nobody died, but that one unit alone basically gave a groin-kicking to my entire squad. Multiple reaction-shots? Cover busting multi-laser? My assault can't close in without getting new chest holes, my support kinda scratches it only with their Plasma Guns, and I had to almost-suicide my Heavy with her Plasma Cannon to bring it down. Sniper couldn't get a good bead on it either because it was indoors.

So... what are the good tactics against it? Because I don't think I'll have the medkits to handle two...

Old 2012-10-21, 01:10   Link #334
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am starting to think this too. Starting in America doesn't seem to help when the bonus only saves one or two hundred dollars a month at best. And that only applies when you have a full fleet of planes, by which time you would have obtained the bonus via satellites anyway.

Starting in Africa, then putting satellites in America, seem to be the way to maximise early earnings. But I still need to work on the math more.
People generally start in America first, for the additional $110 at the start. Then cover Africa before the end of the first month for maximum earnings. There are a couple of threads detailing the method on the official forums. This applies to Classic and Impossible.

Cheers.
Old 2012-10-21, 01:21   Link #335
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
People generally start in America first, for the additional $110 at the start.
Doesn't North America give §180 at the start (or if you put a satellite on it)?

Old 2012-10-21, 01:26   Link #336
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
So I met my first Sectopod... and wow. Nobody died, but that one unit alone basically gave a groin-kicking to my entire squad. Multiple reaction-shots? Cover busting multi-laser? My assault can't close in without getting new chest holes, my support kinda scratches it only with their Plasma Guns, and I had to almost-suicide my Heavy with her Plasma Cannon to bring it down. Sniper couldn't get a good bead on it either because it was indoors.

So... what are the good tactics against it? Because I don't think I'll have the medkits to handle two...

The way to go is Heavy(s) with either metal storm or rockets. Remember, the "double damage against robots" works with rockets. It might be a good idea to bring two heavies in late game just to blow up sectopods.

Use rockets, then have Assult charge in with Lightning Reflexes, Run&Gun, Killer Instinct AND Rapid Fire.

Rapid Fire is key. Two shots in one turn is worth it.

The truth is the Sectopod is the only enemy you had to spec your soldiers around. In fact the Heavy seem to be born purely as a Sectopod kiler.
Old 2012-10-21, 01:30   Link #337
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

That Assault Build is good against Sectopods I'll give you that, but normally I just rely on my Heavy's HEAT Ammo to deal with Sectopods. Also, I more often rely on my Snipers with Double Tap, and even if they aren't at that rank yet they still deal massive damage to them. Gotten so good at killing them that most Sectopods I see never live past me uncovering them.

Old 2012-10-21, 02:44   Link #338
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I think I've figured out why I keep on getting "permanent residents" in the Infirmary. I checked their HP counts, and instead of the usual value, they show two, like 4/7+armor HP bonus. I think it's because whenever I try to level a rookie on an advanced mission, I give them Titan Armor (+10 HP). However, when they're gravely wounded, and they're brought to the Infirmary, the armor is automatically taken off... this means that this would result in them getting negative HP when already there. So instead of "dying" they instead get stuck there.
Old 2012-10-21, 02:50   Link #339
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

That's a strange bug, though one I've never encountered before. I've had gravely wounded in the late game with Titan Armor and never once got that, even for levelling rookies.

Old 2012-10-21, 03:09   Link #340
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
For reference. Ui's been inside the Infirmary since the fourth MONTH of my playthrough. I've already survived almost one year in the project.

Tags
science fiction, turn-based strategy