Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-14, 16:40   Link #901
MagicWhiteLight
I am a poser! >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I watched the first three episodes of this so far and........I love it.

The animation isn't turning me off at all though I think this would've worked better as a live version show.

Everyone is even uglier than Reign though.
Ah. Cool. Why 90% of people who watch do not like the animation? Only that I like the rotoscoping? Well, I read the manga (I await the next chapter, haha) and I think that even if the rotoscoping not fit well in the beginning, would, in my humble opinion, horrible if used another style of animation for when the series start treating the topics that want to treat. Still not even started talking about the main theme. Probably will only appear there for episode 8. The rotoscoping is a type of animation threatening, if I may say so. This may be a spoiler, but anyway, I think it will get better as well.

And could you explain why would be better in a live show? I do not watch much, I got lost here. I'm an idiot. xDD
Old 2013-05-15, 00:05   Link #902
4Tran

Episodes 5 & 6

It's extremely rare that I pause episodes so many times in a viewing session - Aku no Hana is just so uncomfortable to watch. I love how unsettling the whole affair is.

This is a shot that I don't see a whole lot of regular anime trying to pull off:

It's shots like this that vindicate the decision (as if any is needed any more) to go all rotoscope.

I'm also amused that the background artists decided to use Chinese novels as the interior establishing shot of the library.

Old 2013-05-15, 13:48   Link #903
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's shots like this that vindicate the decision (as if any is needed any more) to go all rotoscope.
People keep saying this, but I can't believe that the direction and cinematography are so intimately wedded to the rotoscoping that the former would have been impossible without the latter. I see virtually nothing that keeps this scene from being reproduced with traditional animation.
vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 14:35   Link #904
4Tran

There's two different factors at play here. The first is that the feeling of discomfort engendered by the show owes a lot to the oddity of the production. Some of it comes from the dialogue and delivery, some of it comes from the sound design, but the majority comes from the rotoscoping.

The second factor is that most anime characters don't move in the fashion of the ones in Aku no Hana. They don't uses the same kinds of poses, and they're generally not composed in the same way. Sure, it'd be technically possible to replicate a similar effect using traditional techniques, but nobody does it like that. I see the latter being a huge obstacle to accomplishing the same thing.
Old 2013-05-15, 16:22   Link #905
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicWhiteLight View Post
Ah. Cool. Why 90% of people who watch do not like the animation? Only that I like the rotoscoping? Well, I read the manga (I await the next chapter, haha) and I think that even if the rotoscoping not fit well in the beginning, would, in my humble opinion, horrible if used another style of animation for when the series start treating the topics that want to treat. Still not even started talking about the main theme. Probably will only appear there for episode 8. The rotoscoping is a type of animation threatening, if I may say so. This may be a spoiler, but anyway, I think it will get better as well.

And could you explain why would be better in a live show? I do not watch much, I got lost here. I'm an idiot. xDD
To me it just looks like that they filmed it at first and then traced all over it later while in animation, is what I meant
Old 2013-05-15, 16:48   Link #906
MagicWhiteLight
I am a poser! >.<

Quote:
To me it just looks like that they filmed it at first and then traced all over it later while in animation, is what I meant
They did something like that...
Old 2013-05-15, 20:08   Link #907
vaden

Quote:
There's two different factors at play here. The first is that the feeling of discomfort engendered by the show owes a lot to the oddity of the production. Some of it comes from the dialogue and delivery, some of it comes from the sound design, but the majority comes from the rotoscoping.
Where you say some/some/most, I'd argue some/most/little-if-any. The rotoscoping has generally been little more than a distraction for me from day one, and unfortunately it's found new ways to draw negative attention to itself as the weeks go by. I won't belabor the point, since I've already discussed some of my biggest issues with it in previous posts.

Quote:
The second factor is that most anime characters don't move in the fashion of the ones in Aku no Hana. They don't uses the same kinds of poses, and they're generally not composed in the same way. Sure, it'd be technically possible to replicate a similar effect using traditional techniques, but nobody does it like that. I see the latter being a huge obstacle to accomplishing the same thing.
I see your point with regards to that particular shot. Thinking over it, for instance, I can't see most animators bothering with putting so many "extras" in the frame, especially on a relatively close shot where CG shortcuts would stick out like a sore thumb. I do think, however, that where the rotoscoping giveth, the rotoscoping taketh away; what's gained in the unusual application of live-action cinematography techniques is lost in the show's overly mechanical approach. I frequently get the impression that the animators are like scribes trying to copy a manuscript in a language they don't understand, and missing a lot of important details as a result.

I point back to my earlier comparison of the live-action original and the rotoscoped drawing — in the second set of images, Saeki's facial expression ends up getting just about completely obliterated. A hypothetical full-on live action version would get the message across, no problem, and at the very least a normally animated version would make it visible, if perhaps overly obvious. The actual end result, on the other hand, doesn't communicate the original face at all. This lack of attention to detail is what does the animation in for me; all the interesting composition in the world can't make up for it.
Old 2013-05-15, 22:46   Link #908
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
Where you say some/some/most, I'd argue some/most/little-if-any. The rotoscoping has generally been little more than a distraction for me from day one, and unfortunately it's found new ways to draw negative attention to itself as the weeks go by. I won't belabor the point, since I've already discussed some of my biggest issues with it in previous posts.
I think you're reacting a bit too strongly to the ugliness of the rotoscoping. It's true that it doesn't look very nice, but prettiness wasn't a high priority of the production to begin with. If you can't handle it, then it doesn't work for you. However, for a great many of the viewers who appreciate the show, the visuals are a key component of what makes it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
I see your point with regards to that particular shot. Thinking over it, for instance, I can't see most animators bothering with putting so many "extras" in the frame, especially on a relatively close shot where CG shortcuts would stick out like a sore thumb. I do think, however, that where the rotoscoping giveth, the rotoscoping taketh away; what's gained in the unusual application of live-action cinematography techniques is lost in the show's overly mechanical approach. I frequently get the impression that the animators are like scribes trying to copy a manuscript in a language they don't understand, and missing a lot of important details as a result.
I can agree with you that the creative staff don't have a complete handle over the material - the fast cuts of Nakamura pouring water over Kasuga being an example. However, the majority of what they attempt works quite well; and the show exhibits better direction than most of the currently airing anime.

On the other hand, modern Japanese live action works tend to be terrible, so the anime is probably a lot better than a hypothetical dorama.
Old 2013-05-15, 23:07   Link #909
vaden

Quote:
I think you're reacting a bit too strongly to the ugliness of the rotoscoping. It's true that it doesn't look very nice, but prettiness wasn't a high priority of the production to begin with. If you can't handle it, then it doesn't work for you. However, for a great many of the viewers who appreciate the show, the visuals are a key component of what makes it interesting.
My problem isn't restricted to the aesthetics of the rotoscoping. I think parts of it show promise, actually (though I've mostly found myself thinking this about its depiction of Nakamura, for some reason...). The sloppiness of the execution, for lack of a better word, is what really jumps out at me — inconsistencies resulting from obvious shortcuts like jumping straight between the show's usual jitterbug line work and total stillness in the same shot. It's like the animators don't really know what they want.
Old 2013-05-17, 02:39   Link #910
sa547
*Author

Quote:
The animation isn't turning me off at all though I think this would've worked better as a live version show.
Aku no Hana will not work as a dorama -- it's not for everyone. A close look at the typical live-action fare on Japanese television... tbh, most of them are terribly bland that you wonder if this edgy show could appeal to such a mainstream demographic.
Old 2013-05-17, 04:16   Link #911
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Just watched 6 and couldn't help noticing their class has an Ueno and Urabe. Nazo no Kanojo reference? It's very fitting for some reason..
Anyway, it keeps getting better. Wonder if Nakamura is telling the truth about Saeki.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 12:06   Link #912
cyth
Banned

Either way, Kasuga has a distorted and naive view on women and their supposed purity. Which is something I wouldn't make a point of if he weren't a kid from Japan. As he is though, he sounds more like a kid from Europe where Christianity is deeply rooted in people's mentality.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 18:06   Link #913
Dop
Mmmm....

I still think Kasuga's view on women comes from reading too much stuff by dodgy old French poets, myself.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 03:46   Link #914
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I still think Kasuga's view on women comes from reading too much stuff by dodgy old French poets, myself.
I think it's pretty clear that Kasuga sees the world through his book's lens. Being from Japan doesn't give him a default mindset automatically, especially when he's such an unusual kid.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 23:18   Link #915
Freeter
beyond

Ep 7: that entire classroom sequence. Now THAT is what rotoscoping is all about. If the rest of the show looked like that then they wouldn't have to worry about sales.

No other show this season is going to pull off what that scene did. Not even Titan and its militia of animators.
Old 2013-05-19, 01:18   Link #916
YourIdeas

That final quarter of episode 7 was just beyond amazing to watch. There was no way that scene would've been the same had it been drawn traditionally. It's beyond stunning.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 01:23   Link #917
Aesthetic Shampoo

That classroom scene was beautiful...
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 02:00   Link #918
ElMikkino

Oh man, that was beautiful, exhilarating and so, so, frightening...
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 02:28   Link #919
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I concur with everyone so far; that classroom since is nothing short of amazing. The sound direction in this episode has been nothing less than perfect as well.

As for the ep itself, I can't believe Kasuga was scott-free, but wanted to gain Nakamura's recognition so much, he'd be willing to castrate himself from his classmates(well, when the morning comes). Nakamura is simply psychotic; a pure psychotic. She was blushing the whole time they were destroying the classroom. So freakin' crazy! This is even more psychotic than Yuno. I mean, at least Yuno had a purpose, but Nakamura...she just wants...hell, I don't know WHAT she wants =0\. A pervert? For what? So she can laugh at his misfortune? I don't even know.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 02:53   Link #920
Aesthetic Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I concur with everyone so far; that classroom since is nothing short of amazing. The sound direction in this episode has been nothing less than perfect as well.

As for the ep itself, I can't believe Kasuga was scott-free, but wanted to gain Nakamura's recognition so much, he'd be willing to castrate himself from his classmates(well, when the morning comes). Nakamura is simply psychotic; a pure psychotic. She was blushing the whole time they were destroying the classroom. So freakin' crazy! This is even more psychotic than Yuno. I mean, at least Yuno had a purpose, but Nakamura...she just wants...hell, I don't know WHAT she wants =0\. A pervert? For what? So she can laugh at his misfortune? I don't even know.
I always thought Nakamura was a contrast to Kasuga; they both think the world is shit but found different ways to express it. So no goal, just crazy.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avantgarde, romance