AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2022-10-21, 10:46   Link #181
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Starting to watch it.

I feel that while the intro starts with Windermere having a ceasefire, I wonder if it was better to have some reactions to proposed ceasefire despite you know... Windermere being the aggressor.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-30, 01:03   Link #182
Alchemist007
*Author

Finally watched it start to finish. Bit of a forced plot with Freya's situation and I wish they went a bit more into the AI singers instead of just being these cyber boogiemen to beat/convert. Visually pretty good and the songs were more of Delta.

6/10
Old 2022-10-30, 02:04   Link #183
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Trying to watch it for a couple of weeks now but always find something else to watch instead. Let's hope it is not the last Macross out there.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 09:32   Link #184
charles883

So Tak, HirouKeimou,Matts and magnuskn, what do you think of Delta Movie 2?
I love this as i consider best Macross mvie ever. Due to its originality
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 19:47   Link #185
magnuskn

Sorry, haven't seen it yet. Lots of stuff to do, but I'll try to get to it before the end of the year.
Old 2022-11-05, 20:31   Link #186
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Watched it at last. It was a bit short but I liked what they did there. Though, it was still a bit ambigous if
Spoiler:

It was also great to see Max again and that they gave a conclusion to some unresolved plots from the series. To bad the main franchise mystery got only slightly closer to being resolved.

Oh, and typical Macross combo of macha action and music performances was great as always.

I can't say if it was the best Macross movie for multiple reasons but it was a great sequel.

I really hope it was not the last Macross out there.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2022-11-06 at 11:41.
Old 2022-11-06, 06:54   Link #187
charles883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Watched it at last. It was a bit short but I liked what they did there. Though, it was still a bit ambigous if
Spoiler:

It was also great to see Max again and that they gave a conclusion to some unresolved plots from the series. To bad the maij franchise mystery got only slightly closer to being resolved.

oh, and typical Macross combo of macha action and music performances ws great as always.

I can't say if it was the best Macross movie for multiple reasons but it was a great sequel.

I really hope it was not the last Macross out there.
I consider Delta Movie 2 the best Macross movie because its pure originality while previous Macross movie are improved retelling of Macross series like Macross DYRL are essentially improved retelling of Macross series from Battle of saturn to final battle on Earth arc while Macross Plus and Macross Frontier movie are complete and improved retelling of their series version

As for Freyja fate:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-06, 12:11   Link #188
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles883 View Post

As for Freyja fate:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
I said "ambigous" because
Spoiler:
Old 2022-11-06, 17:19   Link #189
magnuskn

Welp, I saw the first Delta movie and... good to remember why I disliked the Windbag terrorists so much. Otherwise than that, kind of a mess, story-wise and of course quite a few characters got the little characterization cut that they had. Also, a bloody hive-mind again? Some very nice looking battle scenes, however. Well, one probably shouldn't expect too much from a recap movie, the first Frontier movie also suffered a bit from that, but was generally better put together.

On to the second when I got the time.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2022-11-06 at 17:35.
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 07:48   Link #190
magnuskn

Notes on my second movie viewing:

- 3D animated song sequences still suck vs. properly animated ones, sorry.
- I know it's a Japanese cultural thing, but that all the crowds in the Macross movies now always use those glowsticks to wave is a bit ridiculous to a westerner like myself.
- Does Windermere do anything beyond talking about wind, grow apples and have an arms industry?
- Okay, so the enemy are people who this time around don't want to compress everyone into a hive-mind. Instead they want to use "forbidden technology", like cybernetic upgrades. I thought those were only banned on some fleets? Or did NUNS ban them altogether after what Macross Galaxy did?
- Bogue Con-Vaart, huh? Why did my mind immediately reinterpret that as "Bogue von Fart"?
- Ooof, the bad guys skipped right past "cyborg assassins" into "robot assassins disguised as humans".
- Should one take this "real singers are getting replaced by evil vocaloids" thing as a commentary on something in Japanese culture?
- Honestly, Cromwell is even more underbaked in his motivation than the windbags. They seriously dropped the ball on making him even a bit relatable.
- Overall most characters got really short shrift in the motivation department. Still the same problems of too many characters to properly develop anyone outside of Freya and Hayate.
- But dang, it was nice to see Max again. His "moment of awesome" also really was... awesome. "I'm just a Genius!", hardeharharr. Cue shocked reaction by the evil vocaloids.
- Man, the vocaloids were so much better visually designed than real Walküre...
- Dare I say that the action spectacle has gotten a bit "overladen" with effects? In Macross Frontier, I basically never had a problem following what was going on, but by now it seems they felt that they needed to put a Macross missile massacre at highest velocity on screen every minute and it's really hard to make sense of it anymore.
- So, Lady M is pretty much Misa and Minmei, huh? One wonders what happened to Hikaru. ^^
- Spending Freyas last minutes reciting one sentence platitudes at each other really did nothing to endear me to the Freya/Hayate couple even at the tail end of it.

So, yeah. Not too impressed overall with the second movie. Hopefully that's the last we'll see of this part of the franchise. It says so much that I'd 1000 times rather follow grandpa Max ripping fools new assholes than all the rest of the movie.

Oh, yeah, sorry for the double post, although with a one month time differential since the last post I hope it can be excused.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2022-12-02 at 08:25. Reason: Adding some more thoughts
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-04, 13:46   Link #191
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Bud, the whole point to the second movie for us old-boyz is to watch Max being Max. Everything else is secondary.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-04, 14:07   Link #192
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Bud, the whole point to the second movie for us old-boyz is to watch Max being Max. Everything else is secondary.

- Tak
True that. Still, I gotta grin that he even charmed the evil vocaloids with his usual self into combusting their digital panties.
Old 2022-12-04, 15:52   Link #193
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Also, remember Frontier movie 2? I wished Isamu would have been shown properly instead of just a simple flyby. At least Max got his.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-04, 16:07   Link #194
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I never liked Isamu (unlike Max) so I'm fine with him being just a cameo.
Old 2022-12-31, 17:14   Link #195
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

Happy New Year!
Here to report that I have a 38 y/o friend who is now an active hater of Delta. He knew the spoilers and still. Good job, Kawamori. Good job. Fuckig up Max must have been hard but you did it. Wow.
So is the star child a clone of Freyja? Oh, Frefre never even looked at... whatever it is. Is Hayate gonna marry her? Or just outlive her?
WE SAW ACTUAL CHILDBRIDES WITH KIDS ON WIND.
This movie needed somebody to sit down with Kawa and go "NO."
God, I can only hope we get a new showrunner. This year was a disaster. Lost my Dad. At least I loved Toki no Meikyuu.
Hope everyone has a better 2023. Peace.
Old 2022-12-31, 19:39   Link #196
Alchemist007
*Author

I can understand the passionate take, but since I've seen way too many things get bad sequels or remakes, I can just live with the fact that the original works were good and the newer stuff can be treated as an afterthought. It's not like Kawamori was thinking of a Macross Delta let alone this movie back when he was working on SDF, Macross 7, or what have you; so I just don't let myself get bent out of shape. If it's good, then good, if not, then whatever.
Old 2024-03-22, 02:21   Link #197
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I thought the movie was ok. Obviously since I'm only seeing it in 2024 I wasn't exactly rushing out to see it though . Though admittedly with anime movies I just kind of forget they exist until something random reminds me .

Had a good time with it. Closed off some arcs that were left hanging. Mostly focused on Freyja's fate. And she pretty much went out as expected. Sang her heart out. Lived fast and her passion burned herself out.

I will say something feels incredibly fitting with how things turned out. Freyja and Hayate don't get married or anything since she doesn't live long enough for that (beyond the symbolic stuff). But they still "have a kid" that he can raise. Which does nicely work for Hayate's character. So much of his arc intertwined with his connection with his father. So he ends the story becoming a father.

Also liked the flashbacks with Messer. One of those "gone but not forgotten" situations. The impact he had on the lives of those around him was a positive one.

Do kind of wish that the "Dark Walkure" were fully fleshed out characters in their own right. But hey...the music was good . They had good designs and still gave them moments of personality. Both when they were on top and when they were on the back foot .

Movie was a good way to put that story to a close so I'm good with it.