AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-23, 10:42   Link #61
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Send a message via AIM to Archontic Send a message via MSN to Archontic
I started having insomnia about seven years ago, which was when I was 11, which was when my father fell ill and started to slip into insanity.

I have severe insomnia and perpetually dark eyes now. Probably plays a big part in my mood swings. Staying awake for days at a time is very normal for me.
Archontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 10:48   Link #62
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
mm, these days i've been sleeping a lot lately; probably because my body is finally waving their IOUs of no sleep of my high school life. i sleep 10-12 hours when there are no classes, and 8 hours plus naps during school days.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 17:04   Link #63
esfir
hepcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archontic View Post
I started having insomnia about seven years ago, which was when I was 11, which was when my father fell ill and started to slip into insanity.

I have severe insomnia and perpetually dark eyes now. Probably plays a big part in my mood swings. Staying awake for days at a time is very normal for me.
have you tried taking any kind of sleep medication? losing sleep like that is really terrible for your health.
esfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 17:13   Link #64
Archontic
Power of the Damager

I'm on more than enough medication as it is.. I have Trazodone (nonaddictive sleep aid), but I fucking hate medication, so I haven't taken it in about a year. I get my obstinacy from my father, I suppose.
Old 2008-02-23, 17:16   Link #65
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Providence View Post
mm, these days i've been sleeping a lot lately; probably because my body is finally waving their IOUs of no sleep of my high school life. i sleep 10-12 hours when there are no classes, and 8 hours plus naps during school days.
Ahaha, just like me.

Having an empty Uni life is awesome in this way. I get to sleep so much more than in HS, where it's a perpetual blur of yawns and in-class naps.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 17:37   Link #66
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
I'm on more than enough medication as it is.. I have Trazodone (nonaddictive sleep aid), but I fucking hate medication, so I haven't taken it in about a year. I get my obstinacy from my father, I suppose.
I prefer to not pop pills as well. You take one, then you take a second to deal with the side effects of the first one, then a third.

Do you exercise on a regular basis (as Monir suggested to others in this thread)?

Might help...
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 18:05   Link #67
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
I prefer to not pop pills as well. You take one, then you take a second to deal with the side effects of the first one, then a third.

Do you exercise on a regular basis (as Monir suggested to others in this thread)?

Might help...
It doesn't help me sleep, but I do.
Old 2008-02-23, 19:29   Link #68
esfir
hepcat

Quote:
do you not take it because of the side effects, or do you simply just not like the idea of taking medication?
Old 2008-02-23, 20:46   Link #69
Archontic
Power of the Damager

I simply don't like the idea of taking medication.
Old 2008-02-23, 20:52   Link #70
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That's perfectly acceptable, though perhaps a glass of warm milk would help you sleep in lieu of meds. That's what my mom always gave me if I couldn't sleep. I don't like taking meds either, even for things like headaches. Although, the only flaw in my plan is that my heal-all for most things is sleep, so I can't help you much there.

Anyway, my sleep schedule nowadays is hell because I keep screwing myself by staying up too late, especially on the weekends. it's not unusual for me to be up til 5 am. On a week day. Thank god my classes don't start until 12:40 pm or so...
Old 2008-02-23, 22:04   Link #71
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
warm milk witha bit of sugar. How could i forget drinking that to knock me out when i was little >_<

I do get good sleep SOMETIMES, meaning on my days off i sleep for close to 12 hours, if not more.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 22:15   Link #72
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
warm milk witha bit of sugar. How could i forget drinking that to knock me out when i was little >_<
I thought sugar would tend to keep you up?

It's the same reason people advocate not drinking juice, eating fruit, etc. before sleeping, because those easy-to-digest sugar will "go up to your brain" and keep your mind active.

Same thing for why I prefer fruits and juice on a hard morning to those addictive and useless caffeine products just about everyone in the 'States seem to be addicted to nowadays. Not as hardcore and effective, but much healthier.

Mind you, I have as much knowledge of the modern medicine, of human biological functions, and of proper medical advice as a voodoo doctor on the internet, so do take my word with some skepticism.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 22:50   Link #73
esfir
hepcat

Quote:
i was like that until it came to the point that life was almost unlivable without it. i guess it depends on how close you get to feeling that you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

It's the same reason people advocate not drinking juice, eating fruit, etc. before sleeping, because those easy-to-digest sugar will "go up to your brain" and keep your mind active.
i think it depends on the amount of sugar. i am pretty sure that apples have natural sugar in them, yet eating apples before bed helps with sleep as well.
Old 2008-02-23, 23:09   Link #74
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
I do get good sleep SOMETIMES, meaning on my days off i sleep for close to 12 hours, if not more.
Well, I don't think the amount of time you sleep is the only thing that matters, though, and I've heard that sleeping too long (although I don't know how much is "long") doesn't equal helpful, either.

The rhythm thing I've mentioned about in my first post--I've found out that it's called circadian rhythm--meaning it's better to sleep at the same time each day than going to bed at irregular time. How long you have been awaken, the amount of sunlight you absorb when you are awaken, and exercise also affect sleep.

With that said, I suppose the reason why I have been having trouble sleeping is because I sit inside house all the time and not getting enough sunlight, although the weather is too cold anyway .

Although I still need someone to confirm the above informations.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 23:12   Link #75
reloaded
skywalker

I should search the forum more often I didnt know this group exists

Being on a one week holiday I tend to sleep at 4am+ (around 3am on school nights) and wake up around 3:30pm, I normally dont sleep for less than 10 hours.
If I get put in any educational atmosphere regardless of what time I wake up I yawn and as soon as lesson time is over I feel re-energised again.
I regularly play competitve football (not american football and dont call it soccer ) but this doesnt affect my sleeping patterns at all.
The only time my sleeping let me down is when I missed an exam that was at 1pm and I woke up at 3pm. I was predicted an A for the exam aswell, apart from that one incident its all been good and im happy with my hours of rest.
reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 23:12   Link #76
Izui Kohana
Amateur Singer

Send a message via AIM to Izui Kohana Send a message via MSN to Izui Kohana
I usually balance my sleep time enough. Normally I'm up late talkin to my BF but I get atleast 7 hours in every day and around 8 on the weekends. Sometimes I wake up really tired though, either bad dream or something like that, but generally, pretty good.

Nothing really keeps me from sleeping unless somethings really bothering me or im feeling the anxiety from a test or somethin.
Izui Kohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 23:14   Link #77
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfir View Post
i think it depends on the amount of sugar. i am pretty sure that apples have natural sugar in them, yet eating apples before bed helps with sleep as well.
I think part of that is that if you try to sleep while hungry, it's just about impossible. However, having a *light* snack before going to bed will certainly make you fall asleep much faster. Now, mind yopu, I'm not talking about eating candy or drinking pop, because those have a ton of sugar, but like esfir said, an apple helps you go to sleep, and so do many other kinds of healthful things, fruit mostly. Personally, I think sugar in milk is too much, but to each their own.

I am once again thankful that I am the kind of person that can more-or-less fall asleep on command. Once, I even fell asleep in the car before we even left the driveway, lol.
Old 2008-02-23, 23:51   Link #78
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Same thing for why I prefer fruits and juice on a hard morning to those addictive and useless caffeine products just about everyone in the 'States seem to be addicted to nowadays. Not as hardcore and effective, but much healthier.

Mind you, I have as much knowledge of the modern medicine, of human biological functions, and of proper medical advice as a voodoo doctor on the internet, so do take my word with some skepticism.
no, not a lot of sugar. warm drinks don't need a lot of sugars to taste sweet. usually only enough to give the milk a very light sweetness haha.

as far as caffeine, i have a near 99% physical tolerance to the stuff. I can drink a couple cans of monster, then go right to sleep without any problems outside of the usual (i haven't drank any caffinated drinks in a few months though, and i still go to bed at weird times, and wake up at weird times)

I also have always (for as long as i can remember) never been able to wake up in the mornings, at all, no matter what time i go to bed. i can go to bed at 9pm, 10pm, 12am, 4am, and no matter what, i'll have just as much trouble waking up in the morning.

recently i've just been going to bed whenever i feel tired. usually around 2-3am, but sometimes as early as 11pm-12am.

I also have been having a problem for the past few years with sleeping during school. and not just morning classes, i mean EVERY CLASS. during my senior year, i slept in every single class throughout the day. I really was only awake to take tests. Passed with a's and b's as well, so my teachers didn't bother me too much, since my scores weren't bad.

sitting down causes me to become very tired. whenever i'm at work, (starbucks) i can be hyper and wide awake, but as soon as i sit down for my ten minute break, i almost pass out from sleepyness for no reason. as soon as i stand up and get back to work i'm back to normal. It seems that unless I'm sitting down on a computer, or watching anime, sitting down knocks me out. Even now i'm starting to feel tired from laying down on teh couch typing away on the computer, but if i stand up i'll be wide awake again. I think i'm gonna go to the store (oh wait, no money) oops...i'm rambling too much now,.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 00:37   Link #79
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Milk provides a lot of the raw materials for the production of serotonin, a brain chemical that needs to be at high levels for you to fall asleep. That's the reason why it might help.

Apples are starchy fruits, starch in the stomach produces chemicals that promote sleep. That's because sleeping after eating allows blood that would usually go to muscles go to your digestive tract and improves digestion. Same reason why you shouldn't exercise right after you eat.
Old 2008-02-24, 00:49   Link #80
jariten

Send a message via AIM to jariten
When I was a kid I would literally go a week plus without sleeping...it was frustrating but dwelling on it only made it worse. Eventually I just got sick of being mad about not being able to sleep and just started reading. By the time I turned 18 my sleep pattern had returned to normal...

My advice...read...it makes you smarter.
jariten is offline   Reply With Quote