AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-09-22, 11:24   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Shows of strength in times of distress

What are some good examples of shows with individuals who demonstrate impressive strength while "in distress"? Gender doesn't matter; while damsels are the classic, guys can at times be just as cornered and in need of a hero to save them. Male or female, all it requires is that the individual shows defiant strength and steel despite the desperate situation.
While I said gender doesn't matter, the three I know of who've impressed me the most are Iwai from Crime Edge, Asuna from SAO and Satoko from Higurashi.

Asuna has been given some bad press by some as a powerful action girl who suddenly becomes a pure Damsel In Distress later; however, when I watch SAO I just don't see this. Instead I see a girl who, in spite of how absolutely overpowered she is, never stops thinking and doing what she can to free herself.
Spoiler for Asuna:

Iwai is the weakest of the lot in many ways, having been virtually imprisoned for much of her life and possessing no powers but having to deal with people who possess super-powered weapons. Despite this, she does not give in when captured even if she literally can't do anything.
Spoiler for Iwai:

Lastly, just as even a look can demonstrate strength and defiance, truth be told strength can sometimes even be found in a cry for help.
Spoiler for Satoko:
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 12:21   Link #2
Darthtabby

Seeking clarification here: when you say "in distress" do you mean "captive"? (That's what your three examples seem to suggest.) Or do they just need to show great emotional strength in the face of soul crushing adversity?
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 16:08   Link #3
X207
Gamyūsa

Akatsuki No Yona, its a shoujo series where the pampered princess sees her father was murdered in a coup. she goes on the run with allies and eventually becomes a warrior to fight against those that put her that situation and generally standing on the side of justice.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-22, 18:50   Link #4
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Seeking clarification here: when you say "in distress" do you mean "captive"? (That's what your three examples seem to suggest.) Or do they just need to show great emotional strength in the face of soul crushing adversity?
I'm talking about "distress" the way it's meant with "Damsel in distress", a dire situation big enough relatively that the individual cannot hope to save him/herself and has to instead ultimately depend on rescue for final salvation. This is sort of a midway between the often-hated classic distressed character whose entire character is built around how they need someone to save them to the point that they become nothing more than a MacGuffin and the modern characters who can save themselves. In this case, the individual is indeed captured or stranded or in some way stuck in an extreme situation that they need someone else to save them from, but they still demonstrate remarkable personal strength that more than sets them apart from the old damsels who just sit and sing until their princes show up.

There's an odd contrast in these characters, balancing the strength and courage to face their threat and defy them regardless of the danger with the undeniable weakness relative to the situation that leaves them ultimately powerless to actually escape on their own. Take out the strength and you've got a typical damsel/dude in distress. Take out the weakness and need to rely on others and you've got your typical heroic character, not bad in their own right but not what I'm looking for.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 00:53   Link #5
Darthtabby

Have you ever seen Full Metal Panic? It's a series about a socially inept teenage mercenary who is assigned to go under cover to protect a short tempered high school girl. The series' main heroine Kaname Chidori should fit what you're looking for fairly well. Though her approach to dealing with adversity is essentially "anger is more useful than despair" so hopefully you don't mind (very) short tempered heroines. (There are reasons why she developed that outlook, though it's only vaguely touched upon in the anime.)

The movie version of Macross Frontier's Sheryl Nome should also fit the bill, at least in the second film. I was going to recommend the TV version (which I personally prefer), but while TV Sheryl shows great strength in the face of adversity, I don't think her situation quite fits what you're looking for most of the time. (Though there was that one incident where she found herself in the rear seat of a valkyrie whose pilot had been knocked unconscious and attempted to fly it to safety herself.)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 15:51   Link #6
RichardFromMarple

Both Natsu in Fairy Tail & Naruto found hidden strength when people close to them have been hurt.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-23, 18:37   Link #7
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

This one might be another character, although he does suffer a bad end, Kara no Kyoukai's Enjou Tomoe still probably fits the bill:

Spoiler for Kara no Kyoukai 5:
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-27, 22:50   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Kaname Chidora (and Tessa too for that matter) from Full Metal Panic fit pretty well.

A bit of an oldie, but Akane Tendo from Ranma 1/2 is known for being made a damsel in distress but still showing resolve and strength in that situation. (More in the manga than the anime, but in the anime too).

Crest of the Stars has the female and male lead trading places in the "in distress" situation. Both show a lot of strength in those situations I think. One of the reasons I love the anime so much.

Not as obvious as a captive, but obviously in distress, and trapped in a situation, but one I think shows great strength is Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion. A lot of people I think are too hard on him for his crying. Shinji has been deliberately abused by his father to make him submissive to his father's plans. It takes a lot of strength for Shinji to defy him.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote