AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-05-04, 20:22   Link #21
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
considering my PS2 is over 6 years old now, it may actually break down before i run out of games to play
heh, mine is still running beautifully after 6 years without a single breakdown. Although, the dvd loading tray cover have fallen off.
Old 2007-05-04, 20:22   Link #22
Caliban
Dyaus Pitar

This game should have come out today...end of May is too far away for me.
Caliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 21:44   Link #23
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
heh, mine is still running beautifully after 6 years without a single breakdown. Although, the dvd loading tray cover have fallen off.
Same here, no serious problems with my PS2... only problem i've seen so far is that it doesn't play dvd's aswell as it used to back in the day... though it's never been the best thing for playing dvds in the first place, so that's not saying too much... Still, as things get old they eventually break down
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 02:36   Link #24
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I barely have time for games these days, but I think this may be the one game I play this summer. The environment and overall artwork looks beautiful.

I read up briefly on it, and was surprised by the gameplay aspects. It's considered an RPG, right? One website called various aspects of the game by different genres. For example, the role playing comes in the fact that you take control of different characters and power up weapons (through combat) and characters (through growing plants and then eating their products), but the gameplay itself is a sort of action/brawler game otherwise. I've never seen a game like that from ATLUS, so it should be interesting. I'm also glad, in a way - RPGs take me too long. I remember being back in high school and being disappointed that games were so short... oh, how much time I had back then.
Old 2007-05-06, 07:27   Link #25
klee123

Preordered both the JPN and the US versions. Seriously can't wait, as I loved Princess Crown on the Saturn.
klee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 01:49   Link #26
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I read up briefly on it, and was surprised by the gameplay aspects. It's considered an RPG, right? One website called various aspects of the game by different genres.
Generally it plays like a 2D brawler that used to be very popular in the NES, Sega hey days but with more RPG elements in it like stats, weapons and inventory management.

Gabe from Penny Arcade did a preview on it that pretty much describe how the gameplay would be like.
Sphere Factor by Penny Arcade
Gabe's follow up preview

Games nowdays are a mixed infusion of different genres but personally, i think it's better to look at this game as a 2d brawler rather than a rpg.
Old 2007-05-22, 16:55   Link #27
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Came out today, ordered mine online so hope it comes soon. Looks pretty good

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 00:13   Link #28
Spike420
AbaraiRenjis doppleganger

And this game is one of the reasons i wish my ps2 dident break....(wich i opened and fixed then stepped on ) becouse i would be playing odin sphere (and VP2 and disgea ...right now)
Spike420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 16:09   Link #29
stpehen
kisses for all

Dammit! All the stores in the area only received enough copies for preorders! Guess I'll have to time myself over with Dawn of Mana until next week or so...
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 08:42   Link #30
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Just picked this up today, 2 hours in and it's been an enchanting moment. Most reviews already pointed the slowdown problem, which isn't that bad but does annoy. Loading time was relatively ok, about 5 to 10s depending how large the stage is.

Do note, if you aren't very good with brawler type of action games, go easy mode. This isn't the usual mindless bash em up, you have to time your combos and beat tactical retreats to recuperate your POW bar while juggling your soul sucking garden. It's very easy to get tempted to try and plow through the mobs but that's one very easy way to drain your resource. You can always go back to some stage to try for S ranking and farm item/gold/soul.

And don't try to hog all the items, there's very limited space for the plethora of goodies you can have so pick the essentials and sell the extras. One tip for the first 2 chapter, hang on to your Painkiller potions, they are great for bosses and you can't make em yet till later.

I'll write a more extensive review once i pump more hours into it but so far, it's been very fun and the story, engaging.
Old 2007-05-28, 12:26   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The OP apparently does not read Penny Arcade ... those two guys went nuts over this game and even devoted a comic to it.
Old 2007-05-28, 12:31   Link #32
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I intend to pick this game up at some point, but the slowdown issue also bother's me a bit. Some of the boss designs also kind of seem overly huge and ridiculous, but I guess they want you to actually hit the target you are aiming for.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 17:08   Link #33
stpehen
kisses for all

In the glory days of 2D sidescrollers, it wasn't a proper boss unless it was at least twice as big as you.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 17:13   Link #34
arias

Quote:
Just picked this up today, 2 hours in and it's been an enchanting moment. Most reviews already pointed the slowdown problem, which isn't that bad but does annoy. Loading time was relatively ok, about 5 to 10s depending how large the stage is.
I'm 15 hours in. The slowdown gets really bad at some particular maps and some particular bosses. It gets sort of annoying to play with that. The worst for me sometimes is when there are more than a couple of items on screen after the battle.. I'm planting, releasing phozons, whacking sheep, etc all at once and it just gets pooped.

It's still a pretty wonderful game.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-28, 18:54   Link #35
Kisuke06
I see...

I already ordered it, unfortunately it will take like a month to arrive here... damn, I want to play now! >.<
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 09:36   Link #36
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I intend to pick this game up at some point, but the slowdown issue also bother's me a bit. Some of the boss designs also kind of seem overly huge and ridiculous, but I guess they want you to actually hit the target you are aiming for.
They arent as bad as some of the older 2D scrollers. Hell, if you played Shadow of the Colossus, these are peanuts compared to those heh.

8 hrs in, i just finished Gwendolynn's chapter and moving onto Cornelius. A little more tips for beginners. Don't buy items with your Valentine Gold or Aerial Coin, they are rather uncommon and are the coins needed for the restaurants and cafe.

For alchemy, make use of the multiplication rule. A Material (3) flask mixed with another Material (3) will yield a material (8). The higher the number, the more phozon it yields on creation.

Pay attention to the amount of heals and xp some food provide. Some gives small health and lots of xp boost and vice versa for others. Until you get the healing flask recipe, you ll be relying on your food for healing most of the time.

For combat, short combo and hit run are the safest way to get through the stages. There's plenty of space for you to run and Gwendolynn's glide and dive attack makes it easy for this kind of tactic.

For the slow downs, it usually helps if you don't leave too many phozon flying around. The slowdowns occured because there's too many objects in the stage. Use a cyclone to clear out the reinforcement and suck in those phozons.
Old 2007-05-29, 19:15   Link #37
arias

Quote:
They arent as bad as some of the older 2D scrollers. Hell, if you played Shadow of the Colossus, these are peanuts compared to those heh.

8 hrs in, i just finished Gwendolynn's chapter and moving onto Cornelius. A little more tips for beginners. Don't buy items with your Valentine Gold or Aerial Coin, they are rather uncommon and are the coins needed for the restaurants and cafe.

[...]

For combat, short combo and hit run are the safest way to get through the stages. There's plenty of space for you to run and Gwendolynn's glide and dive attack makes it easy for this kind of tactic.

For the slow downs, it usually helps if you don't leave too many phozon flying around. The slowdowns occured because there's too many objects in the stage. Use a cyclone to clear out the reinforcement and suck in those phozons.
The slowdown is not worse than Shadow of the Colossus - it gets painfully slow for me. But that's because I don't clear phozons until ending the entire battle. When fighting bosses I also don't bother with the small fry and just concentrate on whacking the biggie, which means the small fries accumulate.

Well, I'll give tips of my own I suppose. The Ariel coin can be found in the first forest stage, just clear its various stages with an "S" grade and you'll find the coin aplenty. The same works for the other coins - each stage has its own local coin and item variety. Go back and clear old stages to get material and experience.

Learning the material combination for Xtra Phozon is important. It's Material 8 + the Chilli herb you pick up in the fire palace stage. For extra effect, mix Material 88 with the Chilli herb to generate about 20ish phozons in the combination. Tips on combining material potions includes combining with bones (3 points) and with fruits (5 points). It's important to note that for some fruits that you can eat multiple times, you can eat them and use the leftover (so long as it's not a throwable seed or whatever) to combine while retaining the same points (+5 points). Combine 8 and 11 to get 88.

Also, gathering materials to bring back to the cafe/restaurant in the Pooka village is the best way to increase HP exp. Focus on a high EXP recipe.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 20:54   Link #38
bigdave
Falling for Ginsama ^3^
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bigdave
Just got the game its SO Nice! The art doesn't dissappoint!

and was I lucky because when I got to gamestop, I asked for the game and they had 1 left....

SO yea definitely lucky!

Im still on Gwendolyns story right now. O man these boss fights take alot of stuff out of me. IE food, money to buy things, and just rank. >,<

bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 21:53   Link #39
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Got it today, its been pretty fun. Inventory sucks, but bought more bags which helped some. Is there a limit to how many you can buy? I also have experienced slowdown when I drank a luck potion and then attacked through a group of enemies causing them all to drop chests .

Material 0 + Onionne = Antidote
Material 2 + Onionne = Napalm
Is there a forumla to make with higher numbered materials? The warming potion needs Material 0 but I was able to make it with Material 10. Just wondering why a high numbered Material + Onionne = Antidote instead of Napalm.

Right now im at the beginning of Chapter 4, boss of Chapter 3 had a ton of hitpoints. At first I thought it was one of those fights where you lose to continue the story lol.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-29, 23:54   Link #40
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I just witnessed the ultimate in slow down last night actually while playing Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsitence. I was fighting the Fury as he was filling the screen with flames and the particle effects became so intense that when I went to fire my shotgun it was like I was in bullet time. It took a full 8-10 seconds for the shotgun animation to finish.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote