AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-24, 03:10   Link #461
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

yeah i cant argue with that heheheh
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 03:35   Link #462
Maiya Hime
Shiba Inu Worshipper

I'm a Christian. But I've never met any other Christian that believes the same way I do. Don't read the Bible often, don't go to church often. But I believe God knows how I feel about these things. I talk to God every day, and I know he hears me. Too many unbelievable things have happened in my life to NOT believe in God.
Maiya Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 04:15   Link #463
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That's actually a common attitude, IME.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 04:50   Link #464
faustianideals
Disabled By Request

I worship Gundam. Our lord and saviour Setsuna F. Seiei has proclaimed it as such.

Heil Gundam.
faustianideals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 05:17   Link #465
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor
God, in Christianity, is a representative of three beings; The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.

In a sense then, Christians give worship and praise to Jesus, because he represents the "Son" portion of the greater "God." It's not taking away from God, because Jesus is simply the portion of God sent to Earth to pay the ultimate price for man's sin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
The three are one and each is separate yet a seamless part of the three. The best you can tag Trinity discussions with is that its "one of the mysteries" kind of like quantum mechanics -- if you think you grok it... you haven't grokked it. The best I've ever come up with is my diamond analogy for religion in general applied to the Trinity. You can see some of the facets and the sparkles but its impossible for mortals to see the whole diamond at once.
The best analogy I've heard for the Holy Trinity is to imagine God as having three different states. Just as water comes in liquid, solid and gaseous states, so too does God — He exists as the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.

My thanks to Ledgem and Kyuusai for elaborating the differences between Judaism and Christianity. Your posts make for very interesting reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai
I'm not suggesting it's not possible the whole thing could have started from tales that grew like a rolling snowball, but the history we have covering this to either confirm or deny the claims other than the documents of the NT is... slim to non-existent.
That's the point, isn't it? Something happened. Exactly what? Nobody knows. Were miracles involved? Was it really as big as we think? Was there really only one person? No way to tell.
"What is history but a myth agreed upon?"

Personally, I don't think it matters whether there is any veracity in anything we believe happened in the past. Let's face it, even in matters of secular history, we aren't completely sure if we recorded everything as it actually happened in real life, let alone in matters of religion where miracles are apparently commonplace.

It doesn't matter if it's make-belief, or if it's Truth, written large. I'm more concerned about the kinds of actions that such records would inspire, rather than the documents themselves.

And I think the record clearly shows that humans can be inspired to really stupid things. They are just as likely to be inspired to carry out the most selfless acts of kindness. That's part of the tragedy of being human.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 05:27   Link #466
nezar1

well guys
i am muslim
it is really a great thing for me
but as the majority i do not pray a lot
wish i can soon
nezar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 10:57   Link #467
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

nezar i ency the muslims

why because of their simple way of thinking in life hehehe
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 11:57   Link #468
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
nezar i ency the muslims

why because of their simple way of thinking in life hehehe
Wait, you what the muslims ?
Thentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 11:58   Link #469
JustInn14
moo

envy?

Anyways, I'm not religious, even though, some odd things have happened in my life.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 11:59   Link #470
cnnydz
Feed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thentus View Post
Wait, you what the muslims ?
i think he meant envy
cnnydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 13:52   Link #471
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm going to file technomo12's post under "broken keyboard" .... I couldn't figure it out...
Old 2008-02-24, 13:53   Link #472
Amray

Haha. Yeah I think he was supposed to write Envy. ^^'
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 17:30   Link #473
Gemstar
Banned

Religion can be a good thing you know. If there wasn't any different types of religion then we wouldn't know how expressive people can be. All these new things we see people do when they are in religion, it's awesome. If possible wouldn't it be a good thing to have more religions ? I support having more of that ! GO RELIGION.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 18:31   Link #474
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No, after you cut out all the chaff -- that's about as clear as it gets. The three are one and each is separate yet a seamless part of the three. The best you can tag Trinity discussions with is that its "one of the mysteries" kind of like quantum mechanics -- if you think you grok it... you haven't grokked it. The best I've ever come up with is my diamond analogy for religion in general applied to the Trinity. You can see some of the facets and the sparkles but its impossible for mortals to see the whole diamond at once.
(caveat: I don't 'believe' in the Trinity, though I still use the diamond analogy for a model of many people finding "truths"/facets of the Truth -- kind of a Universalism armwave).

I'll refrain from opining on the Trinity other than it was one of the many research moments in my life that started leading me on other paths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The best analogy I've heard for the Holy Trinity is to imagine God as having three different states. Just as water comes in liquid, solid and gaseous states, so too does God — He exists as the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.
I like those. My favorite analogy is describing them as different parts of the body: head and two hands/fingers, since what really is being described is God and two ways he's "packaged" his presence on earth.

But I wonder what the need to focus on these analogies is! This idea of a "Trinity" has been one of the most vaunted, revered concepts in Christianity... when there's no need for such a concept to begin with. Oh, unless the text is misinterpreted! *grumbles*

My thanks to Ledgem and Kyuusai for elaborating the differences between Judaism and Christianity. Your posts make for very interesting reading.[/quote]

Thank you. I admit that I'd be talking a lot less here if I weren't so acutely aware of the idiocy demonstrated by so many people associated with my faith.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 17:11   Link #475
Girl_who_cried_gnome
lover of the g-pa hair

you know what i find very interesting.... how people always put God in the context of "he" when i think the term god should never be inolved with such terms that would lessen such a great spiritual being to be a human

also, if you put god in the terms of a human, why must it be a "he"? personally i think it would be more fitting to have God be personified (if necessary) as a woman... as such thoughts of a great spiritual being giving life to all existence resembles much to a woman giving birth to a new human life...

LOL now after just realizing what i just said.... why when referring to such spiritual force must christianity insist on genderizing the term and call him "god" in the first place?

... also is it just me or are woman always being degraded in the bible? most were looked down upon as sluts and prostitutes : /

-mary Magdalene was introduced as a prostitute...
- Mary the mother of jesus looked down upon as a slut because it appeared that she commited infidelity towards joseph...
- and uhhhh since i dont go to church anymore i dont remember her name... but she was married to a soldier and commited adultery with the king or a high official because the king/high official really liked her... and later the king/high official had her husband killed and it made her look like a complete skank in most of the eyes of christians....

this tale is meant to show how adultery is wrong and such and how woman shouldnt cheat on their husbands blah, blah, blah.... but my impression was how men can be chauvenist and believe that anything is theres for the taking.... including women

so anyway yeah there are many other examples i just feel like i have wasted enough of your life as it is...
Girl_who_cried_gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 17:24   Link #476
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_who_cried_gnome View Post
you know what i find very interesting.... how people always put God in the context of "he" when i think the term god should never be inolved with such terms that would lessen such a great spiritual being to be a human

also, if you put god in the terms of a human, why must it be a "he"? personally i think it would be more fitting to have God be personified (if necessary) as a woman... as such thoughts of a great spiritual being giving life to all existence resembles much to a woman giving birth to a new human life...

LOL now after just realizing what i just said.... why when referring to such spiritual force must christianity insist on genderizing the term and call him "god" in the first place?
Using "He" to refer to God is not an aspect of religion so much as it is an aspect of the language. However, God is called the "Father" because that is the best description of what the human relationship with Him is considered to be.

Judaism and Christianity absolutely recognize the "feminine" aspect of God in creation, but God doesn't have gender. Such descriptions are just metaphors as we view God in terms of our own experience and understanding.

Quote:
... also is it just me or are woman always being degraded in the bible? most were looked down upon as sluts and prostitutes : /

- Mary the mother of jesus looked down upon as a slut because it appeared that she commited infidelity towards joseph...
- and uhhhh since i dont go to church anymore i dont remember her name... but she was married to a soldier and commited adultery with the king or a high official because the king/high official really liked her... and later the king/high official had her husband killed and it made her look like a complete skank in most of the eyes of christians....

this tale is meant to show how adultery is wrong and such and how woman shouldnt cheat on their husbands blah, blah, blah.... but my impression was how men can be chauvenist and believe that anything is theres for the taking.... including women

so anyway yeah there are many other examples i just feel like i have wasted enough of your life as it is...
It's just you. Mosaic law was written to accommodate an already misogynistic society, but women are not degraded by the moral and theological teaching. Mary Magdalene was considered a virtuous women despite her past. Mary was only viewed as adulterous by those around her, and was recorded as actually being virtuous. There are positive portrayals of women as well as negative, just as is the case for men.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2008-02-25 at 17:50.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 18:40   Link #477
esfir
hepcat

Quote:

i'm LDS, and common belief in our church is that although God is male, he has a wife as well who holds similar powers. they simply possess different roles.

i can understand why one would see God as genderless, but at the same time it's something that does not make a lot of sense to me.
esfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 22:30   Link #478
Gemstar
Banned

If God is the creator of all things then who created God ? How was God able to do the things he has done ? Doesn't he need food or had parents ? Did he just appear out of thin air ? And if he is the creator of all things how can he appear out of something he has created ?
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 22:31   Link #479
JustInn14
moo

Quote:
how adultery is wrong and such and how woman shouldnt cheat on their husbands blah, blah, blah....
USusally, it's the other way around nowadays.

Anyways, I'm unreligious, but I tolorate most religions.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 22:36   Link #480
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfir View Post
i can understand why one would see God as genderless, but at the same time it's something that does not make a lot of sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
If God is the creator of all things then who created God ? How was God able to do the things he has done ? Doesn't he need food or had parents ? Did he just appear out of thin air ? And if he is the creator of all things how can he appear out of something he has created ?
Both of these aspects view God in terms of life forms as we know them. All life has some form of sexuality, and all life is a product of life. God is something else. The Bible claims that God made man "in His image" but I don't know that God should be considered anything like a person. As far as we know and speculate, God isn't like other life - it's something else entirely.

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion