AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-14, 09:39   Link #21
magnuskn

THORA also was based on the Blu-Rays, btw... but Central Animes release is very good, too. Both are excellent.
Old 2010-10-14, 09:52   Link #22
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
THORA also was based on the Blu-Rays, btw... but Central Animes release is very good, too. Both are excellent.
I agree.
Old 2010-10-14, 10:48   Link #23
Chiu_fan
Panzer Vor!

Cool! And I just downloaded all the episodes for my PSP. I was just about to press play after seeing this thread.

Just to clarify: we're going to re-watch all the episodes, one-episode-per-week, starting this Saturday? Will we be using this thread or the appropriate ones for the discussion?
Chiu_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 11:02   Link #24
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiu_fan View Post
Just to clarify: we're going to re-watch all the episodes, one-episode-per-week, starting this Saturday? Will we be using this thread or the appropriate ones for the discussion?
You're correct with the first three questions, and we'll be using this thread for discussion.
Old 2010-10-14, 11:13   Link #25
Chiu_fan
Panzer Vor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
You're correct with the first three questions, and we'll be using this thread for discussion.
Alright, thanks. I don't want to end up getting lost in a different thread for discussing this series.
Chiu_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 11:53   Link #26
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
rewatching frontier eh. i might do it. i don't know if i have the eps somewhere. i'll have to dig for them.

edit: meh, seems like ep 1 - 5ish are a rarity.... gotta dig harder.
BakaBT has it. Just google "bakabt" and explore.
Old 2010-10-14, 17:44   Link #27
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

my school actually blocked torrents. don't know how, but i haven't been able to get one to work yet. i'll find one eventually. no worries.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 17:57   Link #28
Solecs

hmm, I might be game for this. I was in the middle of a lot of stuff back during the original run, so I didn't have time to enjoy the series really. Though I'm pretty much a Macross neophyte (Frontier was my first macross series), so I don't know how much I'd be able to comment on it.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 18:03   Link #29
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
Though I'm pretty much a Macross neophyte (Frontier was my first macross series), so I don't know how much I'd be able to comment on it.
Just sharing your thoughts and opinions on each episode is all we ask.
Old 2010-10-14, 21:21   Link #30
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I think we should spoiler tag any comparison or reference to non-Frontier series. Sounds good?
Old 2010-10-15, 02:28   Link #31
magnuskn

Hm, no. Frontier really references a lot of material from older series and having to spoiler-tag every reference I point out is not appealing to me. Those series are decades old by now.
Old 2010-10-15, 03:47   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Hm, no. Frontier really references a lot of material from older series and having to spoiler-tag every reference I point out is not appealing to me. Those series are decades old by now.
Yeah i agree.

One of the charms of Macross Frontier are the references that are dotted around the whole show, and having to spoiler tag every single one is going to be one hell of a tiring task. It's not like they'll be spoilers anyway, so i'll pass on that idea.
Old 2010-10-15, 07:04   Link #33
Francismeunier
Banned

Question

Maybe I will join this too. When I first saw it I did not know how to make GIFs nor avatars. Wonder while watching again this series to make avatars and GIFs would nice. Episode per episode.....what do you think?
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 08:08   Link #34
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
I just don't want to ruin the other series for those who haven't watched it yet. I would hate for them to think they don't need to watch them since they heard all about it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
Maybe I will join this too. When I first saw it I did not know how to make GIFs nor avatars. Wonder while watching again this series to make avatars and GIFs would nice. Episode per episode.....what do you think?
GIFs and avatars aside, this is a great series to watch again.
Old 2010-10-15, 08:14   Link #35
Francismeunier
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
GIFs and avatars aside, this is a great series to watch again.
Any sign of the movie BTW....is that any good too?
Old 2010-10-15, 08:18   Link #36
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
Any sign of the movie BTW....is that any good too?
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=88603
Old 2010-10-15, 08:29   Link #37
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah that tells it all. Thanks.
Old 2010-10-15, 09:02   Link #38
magnuskn

Quote:
I just don't want to ruin the other series for those who haven't watched it yet. I would hate for them to think they don't need to watch them since they heard all about it here.
There are few who have not watched most of the other stuff and I think having references back to it would actually be an incentive to go and dig it up.
Old 2010-10-15, 11:39   Link #39
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Unfortunately for me, I have to pass on this. I just have not as much free time this year, and I have to catch up on some stuffs. Or clear off my games backlog D: Hope you guys have fun with it though~

/stalks the thread though for amusement. :3

Quote:
Personally, when mentioning (a bit spoilerific) reference in Frontier, it's not as if it will give people what actually happen in the series that are referenced. As far as I can remember it's not wholly spoiling to plot (except to Macross Zero ) in any case. Fun reminiscing for the veterans though Besides, like magnuskn said, it does provide the opportunity for those who have yet to watch them to be curious at the referenced series.

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 17:34   Link #40
magnuskn

Since the idea for the thread came from me, I suppose I also should kick of the festivities. I’ll keep this to general thoughts about the episode, as they occurred to me when re-watching it. Feel free, of course, to enter your thoughts in whatever format you like.

00:26 - I still wonder that we had to wait until episode 18 before that folding effect shown in the very beginning to be seen again. Is there any explanation why you get a holographic image of yourself outside your body in fold space?

00:49 - “Strawberry pie-wa”. My heart was given away at that moment.

00:58 - A quick show of Graces reflexes when she catches Sheryls sleeping mask. Back then, nobody made much of it…

01:10 - I love this wonderful establishing shot of the fleet and the streets of Island 1. It certainly shows that this is the future and not too bad of a one ( almost genocide of the human race aside ^^).

02:25 - I also adore the opening sequence, showing all the colonization fleets leaving Earth and later on Eden. It shows how vast the Macross universe really is and how much stories there are to tell in it.

03:05 - The opening sequence for Alto, Michael and Luca wonderfully establishes the set-up for their relationships, Alto being prickly about Michael challenging his masculinity and Luca keeping to the background, enjoying the antics of his friends.

03:57 - Funnily, Ranka seems much more outgoing and less shy in her introduction than what she turned out to be later on in the series.

04:57 - Hm, can anybody tell me how Sheryl and Grace managed to change their direction in what amounted to zero gravity? It seems as if they grabbed the signs overhead, but it really isn’t clear.

06:06 - I find the scene of Alto taking off to be wonderfully inspiring. I wonder if such an exoskeleton approach to flying would be possible in the real world? Probably only if we’d find some incredibly robust method of propulsion, not to mention fuel which would have enough energetic output with little consumption.

07:00 - I wonder how much of Altos early antagonism towards Sheryl is from him associating her with the sky being too low?

08:58 - Can I haz sparkly smile like Michael?

09:15 - Man, Alto really was quite on edge early on about his family being mentioned, wasn’t he?

09:40 - Heh, I still wonder why they portrayed Sheryl to be so aloof and snooty in the first episode, contrasting with every other portrayal we got of her later on. It’s as if they wanted for people to initially dislike her. Not that her behavior is really all that bad, she’s self-admittedly jet-lagged and fold-sick. Although that already may have passed, since it’s obviously quite some time later.

10:16 - Cathy is a bit too harsh on Sheryl, though, calling her a bitch. Sheryl is a self-admitted perfectionist, and seeing things in her concert being not perfect visibly sets her off.

10:45 - And just like that, Ranka is firmly in her characterization for the rest of the series. At least here she shows some initiative.

11:52 - Interesting to have it confirmed that Alto was behind Michael in flying performance at this time, which seemed like a big part of their friction at the beginning of the show. Then again, Michael is an active fighter pilot at this point. He was still overtaken very fast by Alto.

12:14 - Hm, so Luca wants to see Altos “corkscrew”. Okay.

12:17 - A very nice establishing scene for Altos wishes for the future and how he feels confined in Frontier. Also, a good scene for establishing how Alto was able to use his Ex-Gear to take over the abandoned Valkyrie, later on.

14:00 - Ooh, Alto Bishi-twinkle.

14:30 – The jamming effect deployed by the Vajra here never appears again later on. ^^

15:15 – Bad Alto!

15:35 – And the first showing of Altos fabled “Yeah, do as you like, whatever” attitude towards Ranka.

16:19 – Although they are mostly the mooks of the series, this shot of the NUNS fighters’ sortie was really nice and looked excellent for the few months until the series really started.

17:17 – I still don’t know if they should have used the same song of Sheryl here than in episode seven. Personally, “Welcome to my fanclub’s night S.O.S.” would have worked better here rather than being used in ep 15 for the recap.

18:55 – Hm, maybe I am being blind, but that accident isn’t even Altos fault, he is flying level at this point and the dude beside him suddenly loses control, colliding with Alto.

19:18 – I love Sheryls’ professionalism here.

19:51 – Even testy Alto has to acknowledge it!

22:03 – Sheryls’ holo-outfit is still too inconsistent for my taste. Here it turns back into its regular self, in later episodes it seems that her outfit simply can change on a whim and stays that way outside of her shows.

23:05 – You know, I much prefer how the transformations of the Valkyries had at least some sort of time component to them, like here and in episode two. Later on, as of episode seven already, it seems they just instantly transform.

23:54 – Those anti-missile defenses of the Vajra ships also weren’t shown again until much later in the series, the last episode to be exact, IIRC.

25:05 – And those beam cannons of the big red Vajras also got severely less destructive until the last two episodes. Talk about villain decay, three big Vajra abilities get nerfed right after the first episode. ^^

25:49 – Man, Gilliam likes to fire wildly in the general direction of population centers. Doesn’t he know that Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space?

26:35 – Okay, I get that Alto is upset that Island One is being attacked, but what exactly is he trying to accomplish here, besides sending Sheryl on a guilt trip? Sheryl, commendably, doesn’t fall for Altos’ BS line of argument.

28:10 – Y’know, in a way Alto is partly responsible for Gilliams demise. Although, OTOH, it also was Gilliams fault, for letting himself get distracted so much that he didn’t notice the giant red Vajra bearing down on him. In any case, Alto did later show clear signs of regretting his part in Gilliams death.

28:48 – And this right here is why I don’t buy the “Oh, the Vajra are just cuddly-wuddlies, who were duped into attacking Frontier! They are so innocent!” argument.

29:22 – Yeah, go Alto! Find your inner strength!

29:28 – Don’t worry Ranka, Victor just wants to hug you really tight.

29:53 – A nice shout-out to the second episode of SDFM to end the episode.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch