Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-04, 17:33   Link #481
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh... I'm not *objecting to it*, just saying it might be more interesting to people in that thread. As far as this thread.... without bringing the manga spoilers into it, I can't think of much to say other than discussing the episode(s) released to date.

Personally, I got spoiled on a major plot point yesterday while happily browsing for pics so I'm hesitant about participating in any speculation now. :P
Fair enough. I can respect that. I'll keep a lid on it.
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 20:08   Link #482
achirist

I just watched the first episode, and it was interesting--I could enjoy the characters, at least the two siblings. However, this seems emotionally shallow and appears to have a fairly predictable plotline--in each episode they will find a sacred katana, and we are supposed to pretend we don't know who will ultimately win. Sigh. I might have preffered a series with just the two siblings alone on the island, full of pathos.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 20:25   Link #483
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
I just watched the first episode, and it was interesting--I could enjoy the characters, at least the two siblings. However, this seems emotionally shallow and appears to have a fairly predictable plotline--in each episode they will find a sacred katana, and we are supposed to pretend we don't know who will ultimately win. Sigh. I might have preffered a series with just the two siblings alone on the island, full of pathos.
Let's not decide that they will win for sure, this isn't Dragonball we are talking about here.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 20:34   Link #484
GoGetMyShotgun

From the way I see it, finding the sacred swords isn't what is going to make the story but the relationship between the two main characters. Yes its the main reason why we even have a story in the first place, but given the background of their families' past history I can imagine things will start to focus a great deal on the emotional tension between Shichika and Togame as their journey progresses.

I'd like to think the narrator was Togame retelling the story of her journey finding the 12 sacred swords across Japan to her and Shichika's grandchildren. But since this is labeled a tragedy its really far-fetched.

"Don't leave me alone anymore." ~ Billionaire Girl
GoGetMyShotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 20:47   Link #485
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Given the author... I'm going to speculate its a lot more about the relationship between the two protagonists and the adventure is just the wheels on the bus.

I'm thinking this is something that may lure in the "shouting shonen" fans and blindside them ...
Old 2010-02-04, 20:59   Link #486
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Sure they suck, but they're the best that I could find.

Old 2010-02-04, 22:33   Link #487
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Maybe its her choice of footwear..... she spends a LOT of time faceplanting and butt-high (not that it isn't a cute butt).

edit: I suppose she has some depth perception issues....

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-02-05 at 00:12.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 23:28   Link #488
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
What else can we talk about here?
You discuss the anime. That's why this thread exists. Unfortunately with only one episode out the discussion potential is limited if one chooses to avoid spoilers. If you want to discuss the novel, we have a section for that, and if such a thread does not exist for it (use search to find out), feel free to make one.
Old 2010-02-05, 01:03   Link #489
GoGetMyShotgun

Quote:
Goodness, her skirt must have some sick gravity-defying powers to be constantly tripping all over the place like that.

Old 2010-02-05, 01:17   Link #490
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

This story reminded me of the generic storyline of wuxia novels, something like a cross between The Condor Heroes and Deer and the Cauldron. It combines the denseness of the main characters on an impossible mission with a love story. I was laughing at the stupidity of the main characters despite their capabilities.

I am not much into the ED though, but I am glad they got Minami Kuribayashi into the soundworks. She is an interesting artiste because the main songs she compose are always so dull and horrible (Miracle Fly for Sora Kake, Unreal Paradise for Kampfer, then now Meiya Kadenrou), but the alternate tracks that came with the albums are incredibly nice, like the previous Seijiki no Udewa (Kampfer) and the brilliant Hohemi No Kanata.

Hohemi is probably the best song I have heard this year other than Koi Iro Sora (White Album) by Hirano Aya. It had that archaic yet beautiful ring of sorrow to it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 07:27   Link #491
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

hum... I know this is speculation so I'll place it in spoiler tags just in case (I haven't touched the novels):
Spoiler for Speculation:
Old 2010-02-05, 08:55   Link #492
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

I'd like to see this guy eat a bannana.
Old 2010-02-05, 11:07   Link #493
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
hum... I know this is speculation so I'll place it in spoiler tags just in case (I haven't touched the novels):
Spoiler for Speculation:
I don't think so. She got it when her father was about to be killed, and she also got it when she was thinking her effort would be for naught because she didn't think Shichika could see through Koumori's trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
This story reminded me of the generic storyline of wuxia novels, something like a cross between The Condor Heroes and Deer and the Cauldron. It combines the denseness of the main characters on an impossible mission with a love story. I was laughing at the stupidity of the main characters despite their capabilities.
Certainly true. One thing I hate about romance in Wuxia is there would always some type of cheap misunderstanding that cause the hero and heroine to split up and doesn't really, REALLY get together until the very end. I still say things look pretty grim between the two if you go by Wuxia rules. Most of them end rather nicely though (sometimes even the ones where both the hero/heroines die, but at least they die together!), except that one random one I watched 2 years ago, but that's sidetracking at this point.

Another thing I want to see is Togame getting a power up along the way, which I always find it fun even though many people usually hate it (Lacus seed mode anyone?). I am fine with Togame the way she is now, but I am always a bit <__< that there are very few animes with a strong hero and heroine in terms of combat capability, and then they work together to kill enemies (Double Arts had something like this, but everyone knew how that ended).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 12:49   Link #494
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Certainly true. One thing I hate about romance in Wuxia is there would always some type of cheap misunderstanding that cause the hero and heroine to split up and doesn't really, REALLY get together until the very end. I still say things look pretty grim between the two if you go by Wuxia rules. Most of them end rather nicely though (sometimes even the ones where both the hero/heroines die, but at least they die together!), except that one random one I watched 2 years ago, but that's sidetracking at this point.
Deer and the Cauldron is one of my favourites. It is a brilliant novel, though there isn't much to its love plot.

The more I look at it, Katanagatari is REALLY like a Japanese wuxia novel, with a extremely and meticulously refined love plot (though the events that lead up to its beginning is completely lame). Shichika's fighting form is like a swordless version of Dugu Nine Swords from Smiling Proud Wanderer, and his character is very close to Zhang Wuji from Heavenly Sword (very unlike Linghu Chong from the former novel, which is in fact, quite streetsmart as compared to Wuji's characteristic honesty and denseness). Interestingly, Togame bears a very close resemblance in character to Zhao Min from Heavenly Sword, equally mischievious, though not as dumb.

In KtG, it has two idiot-like antiheroes making a love story. Something VERY unexpected. The first episode is abit too long, but meh, it is worth watching, and has a good song artiste.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-02-05 at 13:55.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 15:43   Link #495
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I just got round to watching this and wow, just wow!

That one scene at the end with the sun setting behind the mountains just sums this up, just wow!

gotta ask but are some of the guys wearing baseball caps?!

or is it just the usual odd take on character design I should expect?
Old 2010-02-05, 16:14   Link #496
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Just the style. I think a lot of the Maniwa ninjas have them.
Old 2010-02-05, 17:03   Link #497
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The more I look at it, Katanagatari is REALLY like a Japanese wuxia novel, with a extremely and meticulously refined love plot (though the events that lead up to its beginning is completely lame). Shichika's fighting form is like a swordless version of Dugu Nine Swords from Smiling Proud Wanderer, and his character is very close to Zhang Wuji from Heavenly Sword (very unlike Linghu Chong from the former novel, which is in fact, quite streetsmart as compared to Wuji's characteristic honesty and denseness). Interestingly, Togame bears a very close resemblance in character to Zhao Min from Heavenly Sword, equally mischievious, though not as dumb.
Zhao Min can actually fight though, Togame is ... Zhao Min literally has Wuji on a leash, and Wuji actually tries to resist her. Wuji is also a lot more overpowered than Shichika, in fact ... Wuji is completely overpowered.

Either way, both heroines are a lot more aggressive than your regular females, which I think a lot of anime fans love.

Quote:
Just the style. I think a lot of the Maniwa ninjas have them.
I agree with this.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 21:18   Link #498
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Y'know, the first thing that drew me to this series, was this picture.
Spoiler for size:

It conveys such beautiful attention to nature and it's colors. One of the best things about this series are the gorgeous backgrounds and it's overall love of nature.

Last edited by SquirrelLuvsPnut; 2010-02-05 at 21:43.
Old 2010-02-05, 22:27   Link #499
GoGetMyShotgun

Oh wow. O.O

Everything is done with such detail and the colors are so vivid (yeah, it's a huge understatement, I blame it on my lack of vocabulary...)
I wouldn't mind having something that gorgeous hanging on my living room wall.

Old 2010-02-05, 23:17   Link #500
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... the artwork for this series is starting to swamp the desktops of all the computers in my house. There is a lot to catch the eye...

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy