AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-02-25, 18:40   Link #1
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Signature question

my signature was deleted by a moderator recently because it was too long.
the rules say that it must be 6 lines long, yet i see pic signatures way bigger in actual size.
so what is the rationale here?
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 18:54   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

No rationale. That's just the arbitrary limit that's setup around these parts.

Sorry, but you'll just have to deal with it.
Old 2011-02-25, 19:14   Link #3
idiffer

well , i'll wait for a mod to reply. a user with disabled rep gives no confidence at ll.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
Old 2011-02-25, 19:23   Link #4
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I can't remember what your signature looked like, if I ever knew, so it is impossible to comment reliably on your specific case. If I were to guess I expect it was because the lines of text you were using wrapped such that the signature was rendered over more than six lines or it extended beyond the expected visual bounds in some other way. As for other, possibly larger, signatures: if they too extend beyond the visual bounds, all I can say in defence is that we're not omnipresent. We may not have seen / noticed these other signatures.

I've updated the "signature preview" page so that it provides both the "normal" preview and an new constrained rendering, that should make it easier to check the size is correct. This feature has been available for a while, but only on the test style.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 19:32   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Awesome. Works great.
Old 2011-02-25, 19:39   Link #6
idiffer

my sig was all text. yes, more than 6 lines.
i'm questioning whether the max size for image files in signatures = the size of 6 lines.
Old 2011-02-25, 19:47   Link #7
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiffer View Post
max size for image files in signatures = the size of 6 lines.
Maybe, depends on the length of the lines of text. I've provided a way for you to check lines of text against the bounds applied to image sizes.

I forget why we opted for a limit of six lines, but as with all of the rules it was probably an attempt to balance different aims. In this case trying to avoid unduly limiting user creativity against the space occupied by long lines of text that wrapped, when we had no other convenient way of applying some easily understood limits.
Old 2011-02-25, 20:06   Link #8
idiffer

well, if your check method is correct, i can fit up to 8 lines of text easily into that box. will you and other moderators have a problem with 8 lines?
Old 2011-02-25, 23:16   Link #9
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
well, if your check method is correct, i can fit up to 8 lines of text easily into that box. will you and other moderators have a problem with 8 lines?
That's a valid point. While I can see the dotted rectangle in my own profile, I can't see it for other users for moderating purpose. I wonder if such constrain can be implemented for the moderators also to avoid any mishaps as far as the signature rule goes.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 23:40   Link #10
idiffer

i dunno what nightwish did actually. i do not have a rectangle when i edit my sig. i only see it if i go to the link provided by nightwish.
anyway, how do i proceed?
btw, that sig is really funny))
Old 2011-02-26, 03:44   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@idiffer, the link provided is just the signature editing page. This place you go to "edit your signature" where you don't see the rectangle, can you copy the link to it from the address bar?
Old 2011-02-26, 05:03   Link #12
idiffer

oh, wow. its there, its there. the rectangle is there. wow, epic fail on my part. and i NEVER noticed it before. that's weird...
i'm very sorry for the confusion.
but still, is the limit 6 lines or is it the rectangle? (for text only)
Old 2011-02-26, 05:14   Link #13
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?...#faq_rules_3_0
Old 2011-02-26, 05:18   Link #14
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
This is rather interesting. In rules it claims that 500x160px is maximum size of a signature without text. However, with this rectangle it looks like there is few pixels space to have actually larger signature than just 160px.

Personally I think 6 lines of text should still be a max though. It's a signature, not your life story.
Old 2011-02-26, 05:34   Link #15
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Personally I think 6 lines of text should still be a max though. It's a signature, not your life story.
Unless the rules are explicitly changed, it still is only 6 lines; but you can try placing them in a image to bypass it.

The little box is actually more useful when it comes to signatures with text on either side. Probably a lot of signatures are over sized that use that technique.

@monir, just kindly ask NW to make a style (visible to mods only) where the every single signature on the forum is displayed in that box when viewing the forum. Then you can just change to that style when in doubt. However the overflow settings would need tweaking so that you can tell; or alternatively the signature and the boxed version of it can be both displayed.
Old 2011-02-26, 08:57   Link #16
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
@monir, just kindly ask NW to make a style (visible to mods only) where ...
I use a stylish overlay for the member page:
@-moz-document url-prefix("http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=") {
#signature { margin: 10px; padding: 0px; border: 15px solid #e55; height: 160px; width: 500px !important; overflow: visible !important; }
}
...but the same is also enabled on the TEST ONLY style.
Old 2011-02-26, 13:24   Link #17
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
my signature was deleted by a moderator recently because it was too long.
the rules say that it must be 6 lines long, yet i see pic signatures way bigger in actual size.
so what is the rationale here?
It's luck of the draw. I've been busted twice for sig violation, the second was because of misunderstandings and Photoshop's interface (still was issued a violation despite that), and I still see people breaking the rules all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
I use a stylish overlay for the member page:
@-moz-document url-prefix("http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=") {
#signature { margin: 10px; padding: 0px; border: 15px solid #e55; height: 160px; width: 500px !important; overflow: visible !important; }
}
...but the same is also enabled on the TEST ONLY style.
Might want to add something along the lines of fitting in the box AND following the rules.
Old 2011-02-26, 14:51   Link #18
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Might want to add something along the lines of fitting in the box AND following the rules.
Why? You want your signature deleted? j/k
Old 2011-02-26, 17:15   Link #19
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Well it really depends when people report others breaking the signature rules. I doubt mods here check every post to see if they break rules signature wise so you too, should report others should you see them breaking signature rules. Not sure if many people do that but I do it occasionally at least.

With that said DragoZero, do you not report others if they break the rules when you claim you see people breaking the rules all the time ? Because if you don't, you should. I think most just don't know the rules and don't bother checking cause well, I don't think it's very common to have rules like this. Animesuki is the only forum with rules like these regarding signatures out of all the forums I use, and there's quite many.
Old 2011-02-26, 17:24   Link #20
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Well it really depends when people report others breaking the signature rules. I doubt mods here check every post to see if they break rules signature wise so you too, should report others should you see them breaking signature rules. Not sure if many people do that but I do it occasionally at least.

With that said DragoZero, do you not report others if they break the rules when you claim you see people breaking the rules all the time ? Because if you don't, you should. I think most just don't know the rules and don't bother checking cause well, I don't think it's very common to have rules like this. Animesuki is the only forum with rules like these regarding signatures out of all the forums I use, and there's quite many.
Personally I don't like reporting people for signature rules since it's a bit easy to accidentally break it slightly with pixel, or file size usage. Though I do tend to send the person a VM, or PM to let them know their signature is larger than rules allows so they can change it [assuming it's not intentionally ignoring the rules].
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote