AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-11-10, 07:22   Link #1181
SidVicious
Anime addict

Young Tear.
SidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 07:24   Link #1182
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Hope to hear comments from people who haven't played the game about their feelings regarding Ep 7.
Truthfully, i don't know where to start. There's just so much to say about this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
Young Tear.
She looked beautiful with short hair.
Old 2008-11-10, 08:08   Link #1183
Bobu44
Gaku Translator

I'll provide another game fan's opinion to this, but I think that now during all the drama points, the anime medium's advantage starts to shine.

Game models will always be a lot more stiff when it comes to in-game story scenes. The anime made the drama feel a lot more compelling, at least in my opinion, keeping in mind I haven't touched the game for years.

Seeing the anime form of Young Tear and the various other characters previously has been a nice treat as well. I wonder if they'll include more costume change in the anime, just as a tip of the hat to Tales fans out there who loved the costume change aspect of the video game.

It really is too hard to remove myself from comparisons and trying to give a purely anime standpoint perspective. Having said that, I think the anime stands on its own fairly well, it's just that a vast majority of early supporters may have started watching just because they enjoyed the game.
Bobu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 08:38   Link #1184
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The bad part about story-only aspect of the anime is that we don't get all that action of the actual game. Especially for a series renonwned for almost-too-much-politics like with the Tales series.

When Luke lost his head over people talking too much politics, I sorta started feeling the same way.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 09:35   Link #1185
kujoe
from head to heel

Yeah, that's the thing about Luke. Luke is already a noble's spoiled and selfish son, but it doesn't help when others treat him as such and keep things from him.

Is it even surprising that Luke's number one, most trusted person is Van? He's the only guy who even gave the time of the day to spend some genuine time with him. The rest of the residents in the manor are pretty much distant from him in their own way. Yes, even his parents, and even Guy. (Take note of his facial expressions from episode 1 and so on. Something is amiss.)
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 10:21   Link #1186
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
The bad part about story-only aspect of the anime is that we don't get all that action of the actual game. Especially for a series renonwned for almost-too-much-politics like with the Tales series.

When Luke lost his head over people talking too much politics, I sorta started feeling the same way.
Agree the action portion does get put aside for the sake of giving the story the most attention. Would be nice if they had more episodes so they could show more travel time, longer 'boss fights' and fighting through swarms of enemies. That'd be my ideal, but glad they didn't choose to slaughter the plot to show off some longer fights that wouldn't end up making sense.

Well I think Luke lost his head at the end more about social theory . Since living life according to the score is what Legretta is questioning. Doesn't seem to care about the monarchy system that both countries are employing . Unless you mean earlier when they were talking about the political importance of the Fon Master. That was pretty political.
Old 2008-11-10, 11:08   Link #1187
yolin.shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Yeah, that's the thing about Luke. Luke is already a noble's spoiled and selfish son, but it doesn't help when others treat him as such and keep things from him.

Is it even surprising that Luke's number one, most trusted person is Van? He's the only guy who even gave the time of the day to spend some genuine time with him. The rest of the residents in the manor are pretty much distant from him in their own way. Yes, even his parents, and even Guy. (Take note of his facial expressions from episode 1 and so on. Something is amiss.)
Well, Guy spent a lot of time with Luke too (remember Luke's reply to Natalia's "it's almost like you were brother" in ep1, he said they were always together). The thing is that, I think, Guy is too soft with Luke (look in this ep : he thought Luke said wasn't nice, but he didn't dare speak up against him. The only thing he did was try to calm Anise down (which would be in Luke's interest)). Like Susanne, he's spoiling him.
Van took him more seriously, actually made him feel like he had responsabilities.
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 12:54   Link #1188
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Agree the action portion does get put aside for the sake of giving the story the most attention. Would be nice if they had more episodes so they could show more travel time, longer 'boss fights' and fighting through swarms of enemies. That'd be my ideal, but glad they didn't choose to slaughter the plot to show off some longer fights that wouldn't end up making sense.
We could go with the idea of having some random battles happening during the long talking parts of the series, though i really don't know how well they'd work --- especially when a lot of people would just see it has wasting time.

Personally i rather like the talking scenes. I'm all wrapped up in the conversation that i wouldn't want anything else. Fight scene at the beginning of the episode was enjoyable and did the job --- hard to say i'd want it to last longer, because i'm sure it won't be long until they'll all clash swords again.

Being an anime only watcher, i may as well voice my opinion on Luke and Asch's connection.
Spoiler:
Old 2008-11-10, 13:36   Link #1189
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

After watching EP6 subs, why is Largo still alive >_>
Anyway, Natalias new outfit looks soooooo much better now <3
I wouldnt mind some more Legretta and/or Arietta too.

After watching EP6 I was sure that it we are slowly nearing the end with the revelation of Asch/Luke, some things about Guy etc. Then I saw that it was 26 episodes long xD Im happy that its longer than expected.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 13:52   Link #1190
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Nope. Darkurai's post explains further.

That is correct. The story begins when he is 17 years old.

All their ages are listed in their character profiles in the official homepage of the game.
I never checked the official homepage of the game so I was really only going by the dates mentioned in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

Well I think Luke lost his head at the end more about social theory . Since living life according to the score is what Legretta is questioning. Doesn't seem to care about the monarchy system that both countries are employing . Unless you mean earlier when they were talking about the political importance of the Fon Master. That was pretty political.
I am actually not too into the mindless fighting through swarms of enemies in an anime. I thought that the action sequences so far have been enough and really it is the story aspects that are interesting rather then the fights.

What Legretta is questioning was the very foundation of their world, the people's adherence to the score. Because the score was so accurate that people have come to rely and depend on it for all their major decisions and have stopped thinking for themselves. Even the rulers of nations are shackled to the score, one has to wonder if such a life is really living at all.

On another note, we have also seen Jade lose his calm exterior, and he and Ion does seem to be the ones that have an inkling of what is going on. I am disappointed that they left out one of the conversations between Jade and Luke when they were on the ship heading to Batical.
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 14:03   Link #1191
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
After watching EP6 subs, why is Largo still alive >_>
Anyway, Natalias new outfit looks soooooo much better now <3
I wouldnt mind some more Legretta and/or Arietta too.

After watching EP6 I was sure that it we are slowly nearing the end with the revelation of Asch/Luke, some things about Guy etc. Then I saw that it was 26 episodes long xD Im happy that its longer than expected.
Largo's survival is pretty simple. He's still got a story so the powers that be saved him from death. But really guess Jade didn't hit a vital spot and they got emergency medical treatment to Largo quickly enough to ensure his survival. They were in control of the ship so its not impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
We could go with the idea of having some random battles happening during the long talking parts of the series, though i really don't know how well they'd work --- especially when a lot of people would just see it has wasting time.

Personally i rather like the talking scenes. I'm all wrapped up in the conversation that i wouldn't want anything else. Fight scene at the beginning of the episode was enjoyable and did the job --- hard to say i'd want it to last longer, because i'm sure it won't be long until they'll all clash swords again.

Being an anime only watcher, i may as well voice my opinion on Luke and Asch's connection.
Spoiler:
I'm enjoying just seeing those travelling conversations animated. So much better than heads popping up and representing the characters during the conversations. Have to say though travelling during the anime is so much easier . Not that the fights weren't fun since the system made it a good time to go in and slaughter some monsters.

With the connections hinted and in some ways pretty obviously shown there is definitely reason to expect more fights to break out with the group and the God Generals. Perhaps even a full group once Arietta is no longer locked up.
Old 2008-11-10, 14:04   Link #1192
kureizero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
Young Tear.
Speaking of which. I could have sworn some of that came from Tales of Fandom.
kureizero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 15:07   Link #1193
yolin.shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kureizero View Post
Speaking of which. I could have sworn some of that came from Tales of Fandom.
It did =)

So, we've seen young Luke, Guy (kinda), Natalia and Tear.
Hope we'll see Jade (+ Dist, Peony, Nephry) and an even younger Guy =)
Ooh, and little Tear (like at the beginning of her story in ToF2, she was sooooooo cute<333)
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 15:41   Link #1194
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Wow....I hate Luke even more. Someone needs to like slap him into reality.
Old 2008-11-10, 16:01   Link #1195
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Wow....I hate Luke even more. Someone needs to like slap him into reality.
Something big has to happen, then he will start to change.

This week episode was good, but Luke was really a pain. What a jerk

I liked the part when we can see young Tear <3

The other important scene was when Sync put a Curse Slot on Guy. It is said that

"it uses stored memories to control the victim"

And in a past episode, we saw a flashback when he freaked out because of Anise. So something about that has to happen <_<
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 17:59   Link #1196
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolin.shana View Post
Well, Guy spent a lot of time with Luke too (remember Luke's reply to Natalia's "it's almost like you were brother" in ep1, he said they were always together). The thing is that, I think, Guy is too soft with Luke (look in this ep : he thought Luke said wasn't nice, but he didn't dare speak up against him. The only thing he did was try to calm Anise down (which would be in Luke's interest)). Like Susanne, he's spoiling him.
Van took him more seriously, actually made him feel like he had responsabilities.
Yes, but it's interesting the way Guy reacts to that, if you observe closely.

Like I said, everyone in Luke's life is being distant from him in their own way. Some more distant than others, but regardless of the character, it's all brought on by the fact that they're dealing with a person who has missing memories of his past.

It's only natural. Even Natalia, despite her good intentions and genuine feelings, is also caught up in trying to reconcile her memories of the Luke she loves from before, to the Luke that shares no such memories with her.

While Luke cares for his mother especially, it's only Van that he really trusts. Not only is he his teacher and mentor, but he's the only one who has given Luke the one thing he can freely pursue: swordsmanship. That means a lot, and goes far for someone who isn't permitted to see the outside world.

The King, the Duke and so on? They're all into keeping him away from the hands of Malkuth and possible danger due to his significance brought about by the Score. And they're not telling him, covering up their intentions under the reasoning that it's all for Luke's safety. His mother on the other hand, at least truly cares for that.

Luke may be a selfish and spoiled noble, but it's not really surprising that Van is the only person Luke listens to.

Last edited by kujoe; 2008-11-10 at 20:19. Reason: better wording
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 18:04   Link #1197
xris
Just call me Ojisan

AND AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Please remember, this is the discussion thread for the anime, not the game.

If anyone wants to discuss the game, then please post in the Tales of the Abyss thread located in the Games forum. We have no objection if you wish to discuss the game but please do so in the correct thread! Recent posts concerning the game have now been moved to the appropriate thread.

To avoid receiving Infractions, please read and follow the Spoiler Policy we have.
This thread is anime-only, no game discussion, no game hints, no game comparisons. You may not discuss the game in this thread at all, not even if you use spoiler tags.

If you want to discuss the game in any way then please post in the Tales of the Abyss Games thread
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 18:08   Link #1198
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Yes...I am late

Thoughts on ep 7 ^^'

Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 18:11   Link #1199
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Jade is god awesome!
The way he lost his temper then changed back to normal was just hilarious.

Cool and spicy?
We just need the two Amu fangirls to appear and say "Cool and Spicy~~!". (and why are you using spoiler tags? :3)

It was good to finally hear Koyasu's angry voice. I haven't heard that in a new show since last summer, so i've been missing it.
Old 2008-11-10, 18:42   Link #1200
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Just a habit

Better safe than sorry no matter how little the detail (past taumas )

But definitely second on the fangirls screaming...I might just be one of them

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy