AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-10-02, 16:36   Link #61
Alchemist007
*Author

Actually I found a smooth scrolling add on for FF
Not much of a reason I have to switch anymore, besides interface which isn't exactly better, just different.
Old 2009-10-02, 20:42   Link #62
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Smooth scrolling only exists on Windows, I think. I don't have it on Mac OS X, and I don't remember seeing it when I used Linux.

Compatibility with websites has improved for some sites, and remains unchanged for others. On the whole, I don't feel that it's improved as much as they'd hyped it up to be. I feel that I have to use an alternate browser much more frequently than I did a few years ago.

Bugs-wise, Opera hangs occasionally on weird things. The mail aspect has become surprisingly unstable. I can crash Opera occasionally by adding attachments to a message. I receive emails from a net service and every single one of them crashes Opera if I attempt to view them; I can't effectively clean my inbox at this point because if I hit one of them Opera will crash. Then there are some really shoddy, strange behaviors that seemingly shouldn't exist. Create a new line, enter a letter, and then press backspace twice - you'll notice that instead of backspacing up, the backspace performs a delete (forward delete). There are a few other inconsistencies as well... I've reported all of them to Opera via the bug report wizard.

My big gripe is with Unite. Opera is really excited about it. I'd imagine that they were disappointed to release Opera 10 without it; the next release (Opera 10.10) will likely include Unite. I keep up with their developer blog's newsfeed and it seems like nearly all of their bug fixes and activity are currently focusing around Unite. Given that there's still much work to be done for website compatibility, and a whole lot of bugs to be ironed out to make Opera 100% stable and reliable, it's a bit disheartening to see so much attention given to Unite. I sure hope Unite makes Opera a load of money and that it comes out to be worth it... I don't think I have much a use for it. I'd just like these bugs to be ironed out.
Old 2009-10-15, 11:14   Link #63
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Opera v10.10 Build 1833 Beta 1 is now available for testing.

Spoiler for changelog:
Old 2009-10-18, 17:28   Link #64
SirJeannot
AT Field

is it just me, or does opera even more go to swaping land after not being used for too long?
I end up kill the ps and starting it fresh again
Old 2009-10-27, 14:47   Link #65
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

RE-bump.

Opera for Windows 10.01 Build 1844 Final.

Unite seems to be absent from this release.

- For Linux users.
- For Mac users.

Spoiler for changelog for 10.01:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2009-10-28 at 16:51. Reason: Adding changelog
Renegade334 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 09:04   Link #66
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I really think that Unite is a useless endeavor. In theory Opera had the chance to bring out something "revolutionary" but with such a small market share, it's more likely that they'd finally put Unite out and another, more popular company would clone it and be the one to capitalize on it. I also think that Google Wave is going to steal Unite's thunder (not that they compete directly on features, but they compete in terms of concept).

Meanwhile, Opera's rendering, stability, and polish really need some work. Subjectively, I don't ever recall seeing ridiculous glitches like this (the mail bugs strike me as an indicator of extreme lack of refinement - and they're still around in 10.01) and in my memory Opera has traditionally been much more responsive about polishing and fixing. Their developer blog seems very heavily focused on Unite, so I'm guessing that's where much of their energy is going at the moment and hence what I'm blaming.

I can't wait for Unite's release. Don't care much for the idea (we'll see the implementation) and they'll still be busy fixing Unite bugs, I'm sure, but at least some resources and focus will likely return to everything else.
Old 2009-10-30, 14:41   Link #67
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I really think that Unite is a useless endeavor. In theory Opera had the chance to bring out something "revolutionary" but with such a small market share, it's more likely that they'd finally put Unite out and another, more popular company would clone it and be the one to capitalize on it. I also think that Google Wave is going to steal Unite's thunder (not that they compete directly on features, but they compete in terms of concept).
Google wave is a replacement protocol/implementation for the email system (just happens it does a hole lot of other things), Opera Unite is sharing resources on your machine using your machine's resources, sort of like running your own server. This is like what Digsby does (if you allow it) for research purposes when you go idle.#
Old 2009-11-23, 08:44   Link #68
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, ain't this a surprise:

Opera for Windows v10.10 Final

For Linux users
For Mac users

changelog:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-11-23, 17:36   Link #69
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

In my opinion, Opera seems to be working in the wrong area instead of improving Javascript speeds and improving their interface so it's not so clunky. I have used Opera before Firefox 3.5 came out on Windows (I use Safari mainly on the Mac) and it beats Opera's Javascript speeds sadly. I would rather have them improve their Javascript engine so that it will be up to date to the ones of Safari and Chrome which currently have the fastest Javascript speeds.

Not so interested in Unite since I hardly would ever use those features anyways.
Old 2009-11-23, 18:37   Link #70
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I think its this american trend to swarm to social networks that's influencing this non-sense trend of sharing with out purpose. Don't worry firefox isn't far behind the trend of sharing every daily minutiae.
Old 2009-12-22, 11:51   Link #71
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Opera v10.50 Build 3172 Pre-Alpha:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changelog
- Carakan is our new JavaScript engine
- using Presto 2.5, which contains a huge numbers of improvements. It also includes support for CSS3 transitions and transforms, and more HTML5 features like persistent storage
- Vega is our new graphics library
- On Windows 7/Vista, you will notice a lot of visual changes and use of APIs which allow the UI to display the Aero Glass effect
- For Windows 7, we also added Aero Peek and Jump List support to easily access your Speed Dials, Tabs, etc. from the Taskbar
- For Mac, a complete rewrite in Cocoa brings an Unified Toolbar, native buttons and scrollbars, multi-touch gestures (try 3-Finger Swipe Left/Right or Pinch to zoom) and a bunch of other small details
- You can open a new Private tab or Private window that forgets everything that happened on it once closed
- Dialog boxes (JavaScript alerts, HTTP authentication, etc.) are now non-modal and are displayed as a page overlay
- Address field and Search field improvements
- Windows.
- Mac OS X
Old 2009-12-22, 18:27   Link #72
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Looks like they are getting back on the right track. Thank god.
Old 2009-12-22, 18:49   Link #73
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The interface is a big improvement and more Mac like (except not completely yet) and the biggest point is that it's 30 ms faster than Safari 4.0.4 on Snow Leopard, 64-bit.

The only bad thing is no PowerPC support, but hopefully they will add that so I can test this bad boy on my Mac mini G4.

Test machine: MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz T7400, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.2
Old 2010-02-06, 02:59   Link #74
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Somewhat stable/usable snapshot out. Including the fixes to fixes and bug related issues, this version contains new presto, and new javascript engine and more; in general bigger, badder, faster. Moving to aesthetics,
  • Zoom control at bottom right overhauled. (now too happy with less options frankly but its more userfriendly)
  • Address bar elements seems to snap to some grid; things like the search field.
  • Search field on top right of address bar has been re-designed.
  • Address bar popup suggestion list as you type has been redesigned (frankly I think the zebra design is best for tables but whatever).
  • Opera now defaults to "Show menu bar: Off"
  • When menu bar is off, the button (and in this build) entire menu has been overhauled. Much more friendly/intuitive now then in previous builds.
  • Wand icon is gone. Wand remember password also changed.
  • Fast forward is now integrated right into Forward.
  • No sign of Fast backward, seems to have just gone away.
  • Panel toggle is now moved to status bar.
  • Home and Refresh are still there; address bar is now more standard looking compared to other browsers.
  • Pop-ups are now non-modal. First of all this means they look way way better. Secondly this means you can switch tab even if the site in question spams you with popups.
  • Tab bar slightly improved. Nice little animation when tabs close/open now. Fast preview when you hove over them (effect persists if you just move from tab to tab, so only need to hover over one for 1s). The preview when hovering is obviously not refined/finished, given the very messy details.
  • Lock tab is now "Pin Tab". Duplicate tab is now "Clone Tab"
  • New tab option: "New Private Tab"
  • Tab bar placement now on tab bar right click menu.
A little different but usable, very fast too -- perhaps a little resource heavy compared to the current stable version but I suppose its to be expected of a snapshot. My only problem with it thus far is that the damn mouse wheel hold-to-scroll (yet again; like in every other snapshot before it) does not work. In all honestly, I've come to recognize that as the signature move of nightly opera builds -- that are usable, in every other respect, that is.
Old 2010-02-09, 06:06   Link #75
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog...acid3-and-more

Hotfixes,
  • Middle mouse now scrolls (yey!)
  • Several crash fixes
  • Acid3 passed 100%
More,
  • Forward/Back are now linked together (they don't overlap, there's just no space between them)
  • Wand is back, Fast Forward now overlaps wand instead of Forward as in previous build.
Old 2010-02-10, 05:42   Link #76
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Opera v10.50 [build 3241] (Beta RC) available. Not really much of a surprise, previous build was pretty stable beta quality too. Nothing much to add, most bug/stability fixes. It is only for windows sadly, sorry max/nix users.
Old 2010-02-11, 04:36   Link #77
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Opera v10.50 [build 3247] (Beta RC2) available. More hotfixes to common crashes of previous build.
Old 2010-02-11, 06:25   Link #78
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Max/Unix builds available.

Forget nightly builds this is like hourly beta builds, lol. Hopefully they'll slow down now.
Old 2010-02-11, 12:03   Link #79
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

So, now that the beta is out, is it stable enough to use as main browser?
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 12:32   Link #80
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Wouldn't recommend it sorry its not quite there yet. However I'm using it as main browser at the moment, just because all the improvements, in particular re-design elements such as pop-ups, address bar (and its buttons) etc simply outweigh the rare crashes (some of which seem to have been fixed). There is now also a crash log report feature that will pop up when Opera crashes which is neat and offers a very quick and convenient way to necro opera back to life.

Oh! one more thing, Opera now supports the standard compliant round corner feature; so you may notice sites (such as e-shuushuu.net1 or my.opera.com itself for example) change appearance... drastically!!

If you wish to use it I suggest you disable plug-ins by default (F12 > Plug-ins: Off) and enable them by a site basis (ie. RightClick > Edit Site Preferences > Content > Plug-ins: On). They are not much of a problem for sites such as Youtube for example, but things like ads tend to have crap flash far too often for comfort. This won't necesarly cause the browser to crash but it does seem to slow or make it unstable.

Tags
browser, opera