Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-10-18, 02:12   Link #13461
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Changes to emblems and inscriptions in 9.10: Congratulations, WG, you are now officially greedy bastards.
One the one hand, as someone who thinks cosmetic customizations should be divorced from stats and gameplay advantages, I think this is a bad idea, and don't like it at all on that principle.

On the other hand, I don't think it's a particularly greedy move considering you can still buy (well, rent) the emblems and inscriptions using ingame credits.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 02:22   Link #13462
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
On the other hand, I don't think it's a particularly greedy move considering you can still buy (well, rent) the emblems and inscriptions using ingame credits.
Which will cost several millions of credits a month if you use them for all your tanks you use regularly, especially if you play high tiers a lot and have many high tier tanks.

It's probably not an issue if you are consistently dedicated to the game and play premium tanks often, but for someone who just casually logs in once in a blue moon to play (e.g. me), the options are to blow gold, go broke on credits, or gimp your tanks.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 02:34   Link #13463
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Which will cost several millions of credits a month if you use them for all your tanks you use regularly, especially if you play high tiers a lot and have many high tier tanks.

It's probably not an issue if you are consistently dedicated to the game and play premium tanks often, but for someone who just casually logs in once in a blue moon to play (e.g. me), the options are to blow gold, go broke on credits, or gimp your tanks.
That's dependent on the emblems being actually that useful in battle though, which from the stats they've shown said bonuses will be quite small, like with their camo bonuses. A 2-3% increase in effectiveness isn't a particularly large bonus, and is so small that ultimately your gaming skill is still what will determine victory in a fight, and not whether you have an emblem on. A skilled player with an unadorned tank will still wipe the floor with a fully furnished newbie. Hell, equipment upgrades provide larger bonuses, and yet you can still offset those with player skill - I know I have at times in the games with tanks that had no equipment upgrades where I had my A-Game on and not having a grind/YOLO mindset.

For min-maxers of course every advantage counts, but if you're already in such a mindset then you're already at the point where your spending doesn't matter anymore since you're dedicated to the game. A casual player on the other hand wouldn't have said mindset, and so can ignore the miniscule bonus that said emblems provide.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 05:15   Link #13464
Gravitas Free Zone

The maximum possible advantage is bordering on buying yourself Brothers in Arms or having a fourth equipment slot for vents. The percentage boost does mean something when it comes down to long reloads.

At the moment specific boosts are linked to specific emblems, meaning that anything you already had might be meaningless (and you'll have to buy new ones), plus everyone will look the same anyway, because who the hell would buy an emblem to boost their radio range?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 05:50   Link #13465
VDZ

Quote:
The maximum possible advantage is bordering on buying yourself Brothers in Arms or having a fourth equipment slot for vents. The percentage boost does mean something when it comes down to long reloads.
Bordering? It's likely going to exceed the BiA bonus, just for specific functions. If you have two emblems and two inscriptions each giving +3% reload, you have a total of +12% reload.

And yes, it also bothers me that I have to replace my emblems and inscriptions for functionality. The Russian 'Forward!' inscription better give me a speed increase, I don't want to replace that with some shitty other text.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 06:05   Link #13466
Gravitas Free Zone

I rather doubt that they're going to offer free emblem and inscription resets when the system goes live. I'm not going to rebuy anything. Actually, I'm more likely to straight-up leave the game once my premium account runs out.

Speaking of gold, there's also a not-minor bit of discontent brewing on NA about how most of the premium tanks lately have only been available for cash in the store and/or are bundled with a bunch of other extraneous stuff and hardly ever become available for gold in-game. That's entirely designed to get more money from casual players, but makes long-term players pretty angry.
Old 2015-10-18, 10:17   Link #13467
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
With this, the unexpected delay of the Chieftain (to add it to a new heavy line to promote free XP), and the change of receiving credits instead of gold for premium tanks we already own, we might as well just move to Armored Warfare and stay there.
I'm guessing that you don't know that WG scrapped plans to add the chieftain main battle tank (which is a medium tank and not a heavy tank) to the tier 10 lineup to replace the FV4202, and instead the FV4202 is being replaced by the Centurion Action X in patch 10.0 which is a Centurion Mk 7 fitted with a prototype turret.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 11:51   Link #13468
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
For min-maxers of course every advantage counts, but if you're already in such a mindset then you're already at the point where your spending doesn't matter anymore since you're dedicated to the game. A casual player on the other hand wouldn't have said mindset, and so can ignore the miniscule bonus that said emblems provide.
I may play on a casual time basis and do almost entirely pub battles, but I don't play WoT casually. I play to win, and I devote as many resources that I can towards making my tanks better short of putting food on all my tanks.

Can I win against a worse player when using an unbuffed crew? Of course, it happens all the time. But I'm not going to needlessly gimp my tank to be worse than the rest and risk losing out on let's say a reload during shot trading with the same tank, especially in tier 10 where everyone tends to dedicate maxing out their crews and equipment.

Quote:
I rather doubt that they're going to offer free emblem and inscription resets when the system goes live. I'm not going to rebuy anything. Actually, I'm more likely to straight-up leave the game once my premium account runs out.

Speaking of gold, there's also a not-minor bit of discontent brewing on NA about how most of the premium tanks lately have only been available for cash in the store and/or are bundled with a bunch of other extraneous stuff and hardly ever become available for gold in-game. That's entirely designed to get more money from casual players, but makes long-term players pretty angry.
Yeah, WG is a company with their heads so far up their asses that they refuse to listen to or respect the customer base, even in the face of an actual competitor rising before them which offers better gold rates, listens to their playerbase, and is actively working towards improving the gameplay. They've been a monopoly in the multi-player pixel tank game genre for so long that they've become foolish and forgotten how to be competitive. I had some glimmer of hope when they introduced the daily login credit bonus last year that they were going to sweeten up to the playerbase, but this year they've proven themselves especially incompetent and careless. Yeah yeah, they're rebalancing arty, changing the draw distance to a circle instead of a square, and replacing the WTE100, but these things are taking a hideously long amount of time to do; considering how WG is practically swimming in money, manpower and resources there's no excuse for them being this slow.

I've had a lot of fun up until now and spent an unreasonable amount of cash on this game, but unlike previous changes this decision regarding emblems is actually going to harm my gameplay in game, which I'd rather avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
I'm guessing that you don't know that WG scrapped plans to add the chieftain main battle tank (which is a medium tank and not a heavy tank) to the tier 10 lineup to replace the FV4202, and instead the FV4202 is being replaced by the Centurion Action X in patch 10.0 which is a Centurion Mk 7 fitted with a prototype turret.
What.

First of all, I'm very much aware of the Action X's existence and how it's planned to replace the FV4202 as a tier 10 medium while turning the FV4202 into a tier 8 premium medium tank.

Second, the Chieftain was planned and announced by WG to be a heavy to replace the unhistorical FV215b as the tank after the Conqueror. The Chieftain was never announced by WG as a medium or as a replacement for the FV4202.

What was scrapped was it being a replacement for the FV215b, which was pulled at the last minute so that they could replace the FV215b with the Super Conqueror spaced armor heavy and possibly move the Chieftain to a new "Chieftain line". Basically they had the brilliant last minute idea that a famous mass-produced MBT that is still in service has too much potential profit to be "wasted" on just replacing a tank that people already have, so why not give it a dedicated new tank line to encourage players to buy gold and free XP past? It doesn't matter if you've already announced to the playerbase for a long while that it's the FV215b replacement, it doesn't matter that they've already been grinding up the Conqueror line for months in order to get the Chieftain, customer trust doesn't mean shit man, gotta min-max those profits instead.

The situation with the Chieftain is so infamous that Armored Warfare is mocking it:

Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 13:21   Link #13469
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
The situation with the Chieftain is so infamous that Armored Warfare is mocking it:
The best burn is the burn of truth.

I mean, sh*t, they had the Chieftain's 3D model ready and were doing their usual authorized leaks thing, they were thisclose to releasing it, and poof, it goes away.

If there's any content they're able to make quickly, it's new tanks. Want T-54 prototypes, clones, or cheap knockoffs? WG's got them for you! Did you hear from Cousin Li that back in 1962 his brother's uncle's sister's neighbor's ex-boyfriend welded the top of a Patton onto a Type 59? IT'S REAL! NOW YOU CAN BUY ONE!

Meanwhile, the best they can do with maps is release them and then decide two patches later that they actually suck, so we have fewer maps in the game each time, and every time a map is changed it gets flatter and Agent Oranged. They can't upgrade the game engine because Russian PCs are potatos. They can't make a good alternative game mode or get PvE released in any sort of short term. Modders get pissed off and leave because every release comes with unexpected code monkeying.

Etc. I should see whether I can still get into my Mechwarrior Online account.
Old 2015-10-19, 08:26   Link #13470
The 48th Ronin

Never thought grinding stock KV-1S is a nightmare
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 04:13   Link #13471
Pen3

I tried out AW for two days and it is horrible. It is just a big copy of WoT but on easy mode. Light and APC are very forgiving that any noob can do good in them if they tried. It is very hard for skilled players to do well in AW because there is no side scraping and angling turret during reload to bounce shots.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 08:19   Link #13472
Psyco Diver

The problem with lights and APCs is people are over penning them because alot of the new players are treating this like wot and going for the biggest pen values. That said they are a little off balance anyway but that's the point of open beta, to solve balance issues
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 22:19   Link #13473
Pen3

I have no problem with over pen because i just switch to HE for them. It is the Lights and APC themselves that are too easy to play. Even the tier 1 APC can do insane damage on any tank 2 tiers higher with some distraction. There is minimal risk in flanking any tank because your mods and crew don't get messed up from taking a shot or just get blown up in 1-2 shots. This reminds me of the old OP wolfpacks that WoT had problems with.
Old 2015-10-24, 10:53   Link #13474
Psyco Diver

I could see that, having 2-3 working together can be a nightmare to deal with
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-26, 17:02   Link #13475
Pen3

British WoT commercial https://www.facebook.com/WorldOfTank...6834497265377/
Old 2015-12-24, 18:41   Link #13476
Gravitas Free Zone

Who wants a PzIV dakimakura cover?
Old 2015-12-24, 23:17   Link #13477
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Oh, it doesn't have the derp cannon. Yeah, not interested.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-26, 06:44   Link #13478
The 48th Ronin

Never thought the Toldi would be a fun tank.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-26, 16:10   Link #13479
Gravitas Free Zone

The Toldi has horrible DPM and view range though.
Old 2015-12-27, 06:07   Link #13480
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
That Cromwell B... Now if I didn't already have an actual Cromwell, that would be a buy, right there. :>

Kind of bummed that they didn't re-offer the IS-2 though, or rather, I was away on vacation when it showed up again early December.

Tags
mmo games, war game, wargaming.net, world of tanks