AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-03-13, 03:04   Link #1
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
What anime have you never complained about?

What anime have you never once complained about?

The anime that one doesn't complain about has to be absolutely perfect.

Is there any anime that you find yourself completely pleased with? Any anime that doesn't leave you a single bit irritated? The ones in which you find no flaws, no cons, no problems at all with the story, animation art, characters, music, voice seiyuu, opening and ending themes?

Even many of my all-time favorite anime have a lot of both pros and cons.

For example I find myself rather annoyed with the characterization of the school kids in the I My Me Strawberry Eggs. In Fate/Stay Night, I have complained often about a lack of Shirou x Archer battle and I am disappointed about how this series ended. I am also disappointed that CCS anime has watered the relationship between Terada and Rika down to a one-sided crush. For example they didn't include Terada's engagement proposal to Rika from the original manga. When Darker Than Black ended, I am left still wondering about unresolved loose ends and a lot of unanswered questions like how Hei managed to acquire his sister's powers, what Havoc saw in her flashback dreams that terrified her so much she doesn't even want to spill the beans, and what exactly had happened at Heaven's Gate in South America etc. I have complained about some interesting characters dying in anime such as Tsukihime, Blood+ and Black Lagoon, etc. Not to mention I have lots of complaints about harem anime and the other anime with indecisive, idiotic and thick-headed male characters, namely Oku-sama wa Joshi Kousei, Canvas 2, Ichigo 100%, Love Hina, etc. There are lots of anime with inconclusive endings that bothered me, such as Moon Phase. I also don't enjoy anime with bad storytelling or poor animation quality. In the episode 4 of Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, I was turned off by different awful character designs. I honestly prefer the earlier character designs from the Sayonara Zetsubo-sensei 1st season as well as the first three Zoku episodes.

Anyways, the anime that I have not complained about are:
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru
Mahoraba
Elfen Lied
Chobits
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Gunslinger Girl

I found Gunslinger Girl completely pleasing. The animated character designs look perfect. The storyline was well-paced. It even has an episode explaining Elsa's history and actions. The ending was interesting and pleasant. My only complaint was it had only 13 episodes, but it is a very, very very minor one. After all most of the anime, especially manga-based ones have 13 episodes.

Last edited by stelok; 2008-03-13 at 12:21.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 03:07   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

I personally can't think of anything bad to say about Grave of the Fireflies or Cowboy bebop. I think the latter case is even more surprising since it's mostly episodic and my experience with such shows are sort of hit or miss.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 03:16   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As far as a *series*... there isn't one out there that doesn't have some sort of flaw or issue that couldn't be tweaked.

Probably Mahoraba: Heartful Days comes closer to "perfect execution" than many, as in wouldn't change much of anything. Even my exquisite favorites like Sketchbook or ARIA I can think of segments or pieces I'd tweak away on.
Old 2008-03-13, 03:33   Link #4
Oppius
Banned

Lucky Star: I knew lots of people like and dislike this show but I did not see anything wrong in it.

Hidamari Sketch: Same as Lucky Star above.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 03:53   Link #5
Blizzer
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Even if they don't complain about it, I can't really believe anyone thinks any anime is perfect.

(In F/SN there wasn't a Shirou and Archer battle which was disappointing for me when I finished watch it but now that I think back on it, it might have diverted the story: as Shirou is weaker in the first half he would need to have some sort of super saiyan magic to suddenly increase his strength to servant level before Archer faces berserker.)
Blizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 04:16   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
The problem with me is most of the anime that I think is "perfect" is also irritating in some same or very bitter/sad. It also might be very confusing at that time but sometimes I don't count that as a flaw. Note that I'm giving these titles as a casual watcher, not someone who goes over and over-analyze anime for no apparently reason just to find a flaw. And perfect is a word that is, in my opinion, completely partial. What I think is perfect doesn't have to be what you think is perfect, and let's just leave it at that. It's very safe to say that if I don't think there's any flaws, then...it must be perfect (according to me).

Series that I think are almost perfect:

#1 Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: There's nothing wrong with this series, period. Everything was perfectly executed and the plot was very well paced. It has a great mix of romance and drama, with just enough comic relief that wasn't overdone.

#4 Elfen Lied: Excellent.

NR Gunslinger Girl: No complaints from beginning to end.

#9 Bokurano: This is just a beautiful masterpiece, and it was perfect from the beginning until end.

#3 Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal: This series is in its own world.

NR Moetan: This is probably the best parody anime ever, probably only because it makes fun of itself brilliantly.

So close but no cigar:

#2 Cardcaptor Sakura: Some episodes had a "wtf" feeling, like the series failed miserably at comedy. There isn't many, although one that comes to mind is the one with The Little.

NR Clannad: Random Fuko scenes don't work if they're not funny.

#6 5 Centimeters per Second: The third episode was unnecessarily short and and obscure.

#10 The Place Promised in Our Early Days: Too confusing.

NR Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!: Too much drama in the middle for a "slice of life" show.

#7 Haibane Renmei: Too boring.

#5 Saikano: Unattractive character designs.

NR Kino's Journey, NR Shigofumi: Episodes are very "hit or miss." One episode could be one of the best in anime ever, while the next had me going "wtf."

NR REC: It could've been made like HanTsuki, 6 full episodes...

NR Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo: The last dialogue was too obscure. Unlike Elfen Lied's ending where it's either this or that or you can make theories about it, TokiKake's ending was really...I don't get it period.

---

And stelok, whoever you are, we have really similar tastes (at least according to our "perfect" anime), so kudos to you. Also, please don't ask about my mysterious #8.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-03-13 at 05:32.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 04:17   Link #7
james0246

Why can't complaints be good?

I mean, a complaint, whether as an outrage over a lack of something or a desire for something to occur, does not necessairly indicate an inherent dislike of the series, in fact a complaint can be considered a compliment at times. If I am thinking about a series enough that I can actually complain about it, that means I have either taken enough time to "study" the series, or I have made a basic judgment based on an intial impression (for example I "complanied" about the fanservice in Ikki Tousen the first time I say the show, but then I realized that there is something beyond the rampant panty/breast/buttocks shot, not much but enough, so my initial complaint based on the first few episodes ended up overruling any praise I might have had, until I watched the series again later).

A good example of "good" complaints is Evangelion. We have all complained about this series at one point or another, and besides simplistic complaints like the animation is a little cheesy, most of the complaints are story or character related. That means that we had to have looked at the series, seen what the director is trying to show us within the ambiguous image, and then formulate an opinion wich could be praise or could be a complaint. Either way, we have studied the work and have discussed the various implications of the work. So, a complaint then becomes honest criticism looking to expand upon our own knowledge, while at the same time expand the knowledge of others through debate.

Damn, I got to introspective. Here are a few anime that I have complained about, in a good way :

Perfect Blue
Millennium Actress
S.cry.ed
Evangelion
Lain
Princess Tutu
Patlabor
(movies)
Cowboy BeBop
Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer

and I am sure I could list more .

Damn, this is really just a favourites list.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-03-13 at 16:25.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 08:54   Link #8
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Lol. For me, it's not which anime I dont complain about, but it's which anime that I actually do. A decent series (rating B- and above) usually gets no qualms from me, as the minor nitpicks ain't that big of a deal. Even a lot of mediocre series (rating C- to C+) I don't usually rant because it's not worth it, since I don't particularly hate or like that show.

Those that fall in my ratings of D once I get to the very end (which is very few since I usually drop such series halfway), now there I complain about a lot. Probably one I'm most vocal about would be Canvas 2, but recent ones I've seen include Reideen, Shuffle Memories, and Touka Gettan.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 09:01   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
There are some anime that make no significant mistakes in accomplishing what they set out to do , imo, but I've never seen a perfect anime in the sense of "Wow! Incredible! Nothing in all of anime could ever hope to match this!"

I have no complaints about the anime movie Perfect Blue, for example - it did a superb job of accomplishing what it set out to do. However, there are animes I like a lot more than Perfect Blue because some animes have concepts and ideas behind them that are more appealing to me than the concept and ideas behind Perfect Blue.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 09:12   Link #10
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Ah! My Goddess
Crest/Banner of the Stars
Onegai Teacher
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
Fullmetal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic!
Kyou Kara Maoh! God(?) Save Our King
MÄR: Marchen Awakens Romance
Naruto Shippuuden (as hard as it may be to believe)
Seirei no Moribito
Trinity Blood
Utawarerumono
Zero no Tsukaima: Futatsuki no Kishi
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hayate no Gotoku!

I'd really also like to say...
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Claymore
...but I'd be lying. >_<
Old 2008-03-13, 09:13   Link #11
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I'm pretty tolerant, and have broad tastes. Anything I rate a 10 on my list (click sig image) are things I haven't had any gripes with at all, or that the gripes are so brief or minor and totally outweighed by the awesomeness of other factors.

But to provide at least one or two titles here for the non-clicking majority,
Rescue Wings
Mushishi
xxxHolic (does the fact I dislike it being 4:3 instead of 16:9 count as a gripe?)

But I've rated about a tenth of my list as 10s; series I very much love and don't have anything to complain about.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 09:32   Link #12
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Elfen Lied - Enough said.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - I don't want to be criticised for being a Mitsuki Fan but.. I have set my eyes on her since the start, not Haruka.

Kannazuki no Miko - My first ever stepping stone to yuri, and one of my top favourites, I have no complaints.

Strawberry Panic - Heh, I knew they will be together once again. They make a good couple.

Maria-sama ga Miteru - Enough said.

Blue Drop ~Tenshitachi no Gikyoku~ - Subtle, but lovely.

Kanon - The way several parts being weaved as one, I have to list it here.

Utawarerumono - Enough said.

Kekkaishi - They have followed the manga adaptation well (Perhaps a little better), and Tokine's "invasion" to Kokubourou, penetrating Yoshimori's Zekkai is unexpectedly awesome.

Rozen Maiden - My only complaint, no third season (or fourth)

M.G.L.Nanoha - First and Second season. The third probably ruined it for me, since there are quite several new people to be introduced and having character development in a mere 26 episodes.. not enough i.m.o. Quite a biased opinion, because I didn't read its manga, which seems to provide a good deal of backgrounds.

Seto no Hanayome - What's there to complain.. except for a lack of another epic win season

Welcome to the N.H.K! - They tone the contents down, and replaced it with other factors which may also contribute to being an Hikikomori. I love its adaptation

Gokujou Seitokai - Hahaha, I kept laughing non-stop from the first to last. A very interesting all-girls academy anime, lol.

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 2008-03-13 at 11:07.
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 10:59   Link #13
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
Rozen Maiden - My only complaint, no third season (or fourth)

Seto no Hanayome - What's there to complain.. except for a lack of another epic win season
/signed.

Another recently finished comedy I have no complaints about ~ besides being too short ~ is GTO (a la great teacher onizuka).

And a rare "romance" school days pretty much gets a perfect score for being what it is. Bad ends banzai~~~

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 11:11   Link #14
Keruri
Like a falling star

Kanon 2002, no.
Kanon 2006, heck yes.

I'm so biased, but I really feel that it was flawless.
Keruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 11:26   Link #15
Vagrant0

I'd be tempted to say that Gintama is about as close to perfect I've found thus far. Maybe I have low standards, or maybe since the show makes fun of its flaws, it's much harder to considder them as flaws and not just part of the joke. Lucky Star comes close, but the EDs eventually lose their charm.
Vagrant0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 12:24   Link #16
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Probably the only series I could never complain about would be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (not the 1st season, which was good but a bit lacking). Then again, I'm a Shirow fanboy, so what the heck.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 12:37   Link #17
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

The only anime which I can say is flawless without feeling that I'm overrating it or being biased is Mushishi.
Old 2008-03-13, 13:32   Link #18
Doughnuts

I think Black Lagoon, xxxHolic, Trigun are among some I have no issues with. If anything, I'd only complain that I want to see mote of BL.
More recently; Gintama, manages to make me laugh without fail week after week.

From what I see mentioned quite often, Elfen Lied is the only one that pops up which I have many, many issues with that I couldn't even fit them into the length of this post, I won't bother.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 13:51   Link #19
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Elfen Lied is one of those "hit or miss" shows. You either like it or find lots of problems with it. That's from my experience anyways.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 14:33   Link #20
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

No anime I've ever seen is above criticism. Even the two best anime I've ever seen in Laputa: Castle in the Sky (kid's film) and Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (a few pacing issues) have a few minor flaws. Or maybe I'm just a decrepit old man that finds flaw in everything...

Now and Then, Here and There: overly optimistic lead.
Mushishi: not every episode is brilliant... only most.
Monster: a few convenient plot points, "un"-epic ending.
Gankutsuou: pacing issues here and there, sometimes over-the-top.
Honey and Clover II: sometimes can't properly separate comedy and drama.

These are among the best anime I've seen, but they each have a few minor flaws that I recognize. No anime is absolutely perfect, end of story. Nonetheless, some of the anime being brought up in this thread have a list of flaws that you could write a book about. It makes me wonder whether people genuinely can't see such flaws, or are just conveniently ignoring them...
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote