AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-04, 19:16   Link #441
lixuelai

I cant think of a Adachi manga on top of my head that was not a romance manga.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 19:27   Link #442
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Most Adachi stories are romance stories. The sports are mainly plot progression for the characters - and, while important, are normally not the whole point. I mean, some of his series do not even provide closure to the sports themes, at all... granted, you could say that about some of the romances as well, but they always seem more fleshed out to me.
Very true. the sport if just for Progression and to make the hero Cool. I think he has only made three manga that had other theme besides sport, Miyuki, Hiatari Ryoukou, and Niji Iro Togarashi and ALL them are Shounen, romance.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 03:39   Link #443
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
I cant think of a Adachi manga on top of my head that was not a romance manga.
Itsumo Misora fits the bill, outta the top of my head... and it's not really a sports manga, either. Like golthin put it, all very shonen.
And Adachi does have some seinen material, but they're not really akin to his shonen series... and deal with themes like "losing the innocence of youth" and such.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 04:09   Link #444
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Non sports manga by Adachi Mitsuru??
I can only think of Jinbe...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 06:21   Link #445
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Non sports manga by Adachi Mitsuru??
I can only think of Jinbe...
Well, it had a faint hint of soccer. No, I'm not calling it sports.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 13:03   Link #446
onemadcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
that is a dream, it happens later on in an episode. It is what they wish that would have happened. Aoba and Kou playing a game together with Wakaba watching.
Um, no.
Not even close.

However, saying any more about it would be considered a big manga spoiler and won't be seen in the TV series for probably at least another dozen episodes.

Also, Hiatari Ryouko also had a decent amount of baseball in it, but certainly wasn't the focus of the story.
onemadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 16:09   Link #447
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Quote:
Itsumo Misora fits the bill, outta the top of my head... and it's not really a sports manga, either. Like golthin put it, all very shonen.
I found them in a book sale last week, huge price cut, along with old mangas.
Translated into "Eternal Blue Sky".
Very sad fact that Adachi works did not seem to be very popular in my country.

Quote:
And Adachi does have some seinen material, but they're not really akin to his shonen series... and deal with themes like "losing the innocence of youth" and such.
Adventure Boy and Short Program
Made me realize a lot, the things that you lost, at the process of maturity.

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 21:43   Link #448
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Short Programs is one of his works that I enjoy the most. Somehow I think his type of storytelling are more suited on short storied than a long full stories ^^. Itsumo Misora is one of his works that I least enjoy reading. It's somehow too far fetched from his usual "normal" type story(it has ESP in it o_O)
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 11:34   Link #449
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yeargh... another baseball game episode. I know its necessary to fleshen out the characters of the first string team, but that doesn't mean I have to like it since I already know what they are from the manga.

Oddly enough though, I really thought the 'control or speed?' was a part of another of Adachi's manga. For me who doesn't pay my full attention to the details of the game, all the Adachi manga I read seems to be blending with each other in terms of sports lol.

Oh well, next episode seems to be the end of the game early on, so I'm happy.

In any case, the thing I love about Adachi is that the romance isn't really about the 'chase'. What I mean is that his stories generally don't focus on the characters actively seeking out their LIs to be their official significant other, but rather he spends the majority of the time developing and fleshening out the relationship between the characters to the point where a very short chase is all that's needed to make them a plausible couple.

That's one of the reasons why he has characters like Senda, who are always on the 'chase', to act as foils to the main characters' romance geometries.

This is turn doesn't make his works as obvious a romance as, say, Kouji Seo's sport romance stories like Suzuka and Cross Over. But it's as much, if not more a romance as those stories, considering a large portion of the material focuses on relationships.

As an extra I like about Adachi recently is that the girls have as much (if not more) serious LIs as the guys do. Which is a nice change of pace of your typical harem anime/manga, as it really does heighten the romantic conflicts when you're worrying about BOTH sides of your preferred coupling. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemadcow View Post
Um, no.
Not even close.
Damn, and there goes Golthin's wonderful misdirection... I particularly thought it was rather ingenious on his part. Makes me question if he hasn't done the same with other threads...
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 17:23   Link #450
lixuelai

Adachi likes having characters gradually liking each other or already liking each other. Then builds up the story/romance. Not the love-at-first-site kind of thing. Much less the "I saw her pantsu now I am obsessed kind"
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 11:22   Link #451
kero

I've been following the anime and I really enjoy it.

I think falls into romance, the op and ed are about love, nuff said.

And I like the baseball game scenes! I find it weird that anyone would be watching this, if they're not interested in the baseball games ^^;;

--

senda annoys me, and I hope the manager girl character gets fleshed out more, there seems to be hints that she's more than just a minor background character?
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 07:51   Link #452
harmonious

Is there only 13 episodes? It seems kind of short for an adaption of a manga that is currently over 15 volumes.
harmonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 07:56   Link #453
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonious View Post
Is there only 13 episodes? It seems kind of short for an adaption of a manga that is currently over 15 volumes.
51 episodes is planned iirc
Old 2009-06-10, 10:10   Link #454
kero

what does iirc stand for?
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 10:18   Link #455
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

If I Remember Correctly.

Old 2009-06-10, 20:35   Link #456
harmonious

I wasn't too keen on Cross Game at first since the mangaka did H2 as well. I am glad the story is nothing like H2. The entire love triangle in H2 sucked.
harmonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 20:54   Link #457
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Aren't we glad for the diversity of opinions? I loved H2, love hexangle and all.

Old 2009-06-10, 21:14   Link #458
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

I loved H2 too , the love hexangle is interesting for me, not to mention Kunimi is one of the most imbalance pitcher Adachi ever created (huge stamin, fast pitch, slider so fast that even his catcher has difficultty catching it, not to mention better hitter than his rival when he's serious, and he created his team from zero with a stupid coach) :P
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 01:11   Link #459
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I loved H2 too , the love hexangle is interesting for me, not to mention Kunimi is one of the most imbalance pitcher Adachi ever created (huge stamin, fast pitch, slider so fast that even his catcher has difficultty catching it, not to mention better hitter than his rival when he's serious, and he created his team from zero with a stupid coach) :P
the good thing about H2 was that the girl chose the guy not only because of love, but because of what she needed. Hikari got what she wanted all the time and she knew that she couldn't get that with the other guy even though she loved him a little more. It hurt from a shipper perspective, but taking the shipper goggles off you knew her reasons.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 08:05   Link #460
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well...

Spoiler for H2 Love connections:

That said, I love how Cross Game is shaping up the romantic relationships. They unfold slowly, without many flashy displays, but you can actually see the characters slowly building up their feelings.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports