AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-17, 23:38   Link #81
Kudryavka

Is Pantsu Witches that one show where the girls have torpedos for legs, and they try to make WWII look cute? Scary, and I don't see how something as serious as WWII can ever be seen as "cute".
Old 2009-06-17, 23:56   Link #82
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Is Pantsu Witches that one show where the girls have torpedos for legs, and they try to make WWII look cute? Scary, and I don't see how something as serious as WWII can ever be seen as "cute".
They're actually aircraft tail sections that are based on WWII aircraft, with tail props. The girls names are homages to historic ace fighter pilots from several different countries... some interesting reading in the wiki entry on that. I never knew there were two female aces (WWII, both Russian).

They're not trying to make WWII look cute, it's just a theme that they've used because aviation took so many important leaps during that time and the aircraft from that period were simply kick ass.

*says the former Navy aircraft mechanic*
Old 2009-06-18, 00:34   Link #83
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We'll find out just want is popular during nominations, since it is generally only the top two or three from the various groups that go on to the finals...with some rare exceptions.
Old 2009-06-18, 00:35   Link #84
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
They're actually aircraft tail sections that are based on WWII aircraft, with tail props. The girls names are homages to historic ace fighter pilots from several different countries... some interesting reading in the wiki entry on that. I never knew there were two female aces (WWII, both Russian).

They're not trying to make WWII look cute, it's just a theme that they've used because aviation took so many important leaps during that time and the aircraft from that period were simply kick ass.

*says the former Navy aircraft mechanic*
Thanks for clearing that up for me. And yes, the planes from that period were awesome.
Are the tailcraft sections actually their legs? Or are they weird boots or something?
Old 2009-06-18, 00:47   Link #85
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Are the tailcraft sections actually their legs? Or are they weird boots or something?
Something they step into and wear... like mechanical knee socks, I suppose And they actually incorporate different elements of the aircraft. I noticed in ep. 5 that Charlotte's has exhaust stacks near the prop like the nose of the P-51, it's just flipped around backwards and worn like a tail section.

Sanya is totally moe.
Old 2009-06-18, 17:09   Link #86
_juu
*_*~

Send a message via ICQ to _juu
ah lucky, I was able to get a code as well... ^^; it would be nice to vote througout the tournament.
I want to vote for Nagi (Kannagi), I hope she won't fail in the first round, at least.

No Nanoha and no Rozen Maiden will be a little strange though.
Old 2009-06-18, 18:13   Link #87
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I guess I don't need to worry about how to vote. I'm getting the ERROR:PROXY message.
Old 2009-06-18, 19:36   Link #88
Kudryavka

Yay, I'm getting the code now! It's on a new comp, though. Seems like I'll be participating in this Saimoe after all.
[[AT919-hAWR.ukR-ZY]]
I won't be nominating every day, so maybe if someone who can't get codes wants me to PM them codes for the days I'm not voting, I'll try to do so. I'm nominating on 6/20 (カ)and 6/21 (サ) (Pacific time).
Some solutions I found to get around 2ch's all-pwning proxy /banned detection system (These are from Saimoe 2007, so these may not work well anymore. I tried the first, but all of the IPs seem to be "Dummy" or "Error". As for the dial-up solution, it makes sense, but I've no idea if it'll work)
Spoiler for a lot of text! orig. by AVPlaya:

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2009-06-19 at 00:40.
Old 2009-06-18, 20:15   Link #89
Kudryavka

Double-Posted so Rika-Chama can Bump it to the Front Page if Needed

::Major Edit:: Since the Saimoe main page has been ditched, this guide is officially outdated. I'll update it with new pics of the new main page when I fix my computer to see that weirdly encoded Japanese correctly.
Yay, Saimoe 2009 has officially started.
I found that "How to Vote" post, ::edit:: and now edited it to include the new rules and images. The Saimoe 2007 ver. was originally posted by Kinny Riddle. Please tell me if you see a problem with my updated version, and I'll change it.
Illustrated Instructions on How to Vote

All times below in Japan Standard Time
(Please check with your corresponding timezone http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/)

In order to vote, you would need a code.

- Codes are generated on every match day from 23:31 of the previous day to 23:03 of the match day itself.

- No code will be generated from 23:04-23:30 as time is spent for counting the votes.

- Each code is only valid for the the above times of that match day (see illustration below)

1. First head to the homepage of the tournament; the link's on the first page. You know you're there if you see a cute catgirl and the Saimoe 2009 logo on your web browser.

2. Next, we're gonna get our voting code so that we can vote. Scroll on down the page and click the highlighted link in the picture (this link is also in the first post).

3. After clicking the link for the code, another page will appear to prompt you to confirm

4. This is the code generating page, and now we wait till the time as designated on the page below (this image is just an example)

5. Now you have a code up and ready

6. Once you get your code, head on back to the home page. First click the pink "Vote" button at the top of the page

Then click the first link that shows up.

7. This will bring you to a search page with links to the various nomination/voting arenas. This tutorial was rewritten on May 20 (Japan time), so only the ア nomination thread exists. There will be links going to many different arenas once the actual voting starts. I may update this picture when that time arrives.

P.S. Voting threads are closed and reopened into new threads once a thread hits 1000 posts or a certain amount of KBs (1000 posts is more likely than hitting the KB limit). To play it safe, DON'T go to a voting thread where the post count is 900 or above, unless you can type pretty fast. You never know whether a wave of posts will come in right when you're filling out your vote, and I believe that overflow posts are disqualified. If the thread you wanna go into has >900 posts, just wait until that thread hits 1000 (which prob won't be long) and go into the new thread that'll be made.
::edit:: The "over 900(0) posts" thing shouldn't apply during nominations. You don't have to worry about rushes and the other BS voters like to do.

8. Push the 'End' keyboard button to get to the bottom of the voting thread quickly. You'll see the posting box here. Be sure to post your code, start a new line, then post your votes on their own lines. REMEMBER: the format for voting MUST be
<<A Saimoe approved character nameSaimoe approved name of the char’s anime>> (unless there's a Saimoe approved name that follows a different format)
They also suggest that you post some fanboy/girl stuffies in your post as well, like a haiku for how moe your votes are or some pictures of your characters.

9. That's it, you're done.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2009-07-18 at 13:44. Reason: geezus
Old 2009-06-20, 10:27   Link #90
Rika-chama
Furude Shrine Miko
*Fansubber

Ok, guys....

I'm gonna need some help. I was hoping that Ando was gonna be able to help out like last year but it seems he's got real life stuff.

This is too much to do all by myself and I'm not fluent in Japanese like Ando is. The nominations and pre-lims are a bit much to handle all by myself, and there's a bunch of stuff to do like translate all the names of both the anime series and the characters that will be participating. After the tournament gets going, it'll be a bit easier, but right now it's an incredible amount of information, and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed.

Anyhoo, if you can help in any way, here's what needs to be done:

These following series names need to be translated:
http://www7.atwiki.jp/saimoe09/pages/43.html

Here are the nominees for yesterday (Sat, 20 Jun 08) which also need to be translated:
http://mig380.chez-alice.fr/up0/file/u1_002586.txt

I'll try to do as much as I can, but it's a slow process for me, and some of these series are pretty obscure...

Anyway, thanks in advance. ^_^

Cheers,
Rika-chama

Nope. Not a thing.
Old 2009-06-20, 10:45   Link #91
Kudryavka

Why not copy and paste names into the Japanese Wikipedia, redirect to the English Wikipedia's version of the article, then use the name on the English Wiki?
I did it for a few series, but I'm not sure if it'll do all of the series.
::edit:: Yay, I voted today! For

<<平沢唯@けいおん!>> (Yui Hirasawa from K-ON!)
<<山中さわ子@けいおん!>> (Sawako Yamanaka from K-ON!)

But I accidentally double-posted... Do you think that'll get me banned?
Current nomination thread (all nominations, regardless of the schedule, go into this thread, apparently): http://changi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/...45417840/1-100

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2009-06-20 at 16:16.
Old 2009-06-20, 17:15   Link #92
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika-chama View Post
Ok, guys....

I'm gonna need some help. I was hoping that Ando was gonna be able to help out like last year but it seems he's got real life stuff.

This is too much to do all by myself and I'm not fluent in Japanese like Ando is. The nominations and pre-lims are a bit much to handle all by myself, and there's a bunch of stuff to do like translate all the names of both the anime series and the characters that will be participating. After the tournament gets going, it'll be a bit easier, but right now it's an incredible amount of information, and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed.

Anyhoo, if you can help in any way, here's what needs to be done:

These following series names need to be translated:
http://www7.atwiki.jp/saimoe09/pages/43.html

Here are the nominees for yesterday (Sat, 20 Jun 08) which also need to be translated:
http://mig380.chez-alice.fr/up0/file/u1_002586.txt

I'll try to do as much as I can, but it's a slow process for me, and some of these series are pretty obscure...

Anyway, thanks in advance. ^_^

Cheers,
Rika-chama
It's not to difficult to find which series is which using google tradutor, MAL, wikipedia and with a bit of knowledge in reading hiragana and katakana.

Well I was able to identify some when I was looking at it before, here it is (not 100% sure tough):

RD 潜脳調査室 (RD Sennō Chōsashitsu | Real Drive)
あかね色に染まる坂 (Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka)
アキカン! (Akikan!)
明日のよいち! (Asu no Yoichi!)
アスラクライン (Asura Cryin' | Asura Kurain)
アドリブ王子 () << wasn't able to get this one
アリソンとリリア (Arison to Riria | Allison & Lillia)
イヴの時間 (Eve no Jikan)
Yes! プリキュア5GoGo! (Yes! Precure 5 GoGo!)
映画Yes! プリキュア5GoGo! お菓子の国のハッピーバースディ♪ (Eiga Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! Okashi no Kuni no Happy Birthday)
映画プリキュアオールスターズDX みんなともだちっ☆奇跡の全員大集合! (Eiga Precure All-Stars DX Minna Tomodachi)
異国色恋浪漫譚 () << wasn't able to get this one
イタズラなKiss (Itazura na Kiss)
一騎当千 Great Gurdians (Ikkitousen: Great Guardians)
いっしょにとれーにんぐ (Isshoni Training)
イナズマイレブン (Inazuma Eleven)
VIPER'S CREED <<no trans needed lol
ヴァンパイア騎士 Guilty (Vampire Knight Guilty)
エグザムライ戦国 (Examurai Sengoku) << not very sure
ef - a tale of melodies. <<no trans needed again
FNS地球特捜隊ダイバスター (FNS Chikyu Tokuso-tai Die Buster )
おてんばルル (La Vilaine LuLu)
おねがい♪マイメロディ きららっ★ (Onegai My Melody Kirara)
快盗天使ツインエンジェル (Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel)
カオス;ヘッド -CHAOS;HEAD- <<it already has the trans lol
崖の上のポニョ (Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea)
仮面のメイドガイ ご奉仕特別編 (Kamen no Maid Guy OAD?) << it's Kamen no Maid Guy something and I only found an OVA in 2008-09 period of time so...
喰霊 -零- (Ga Rei Zero)
GUNSLINGER GIRL -IL TEATRINO- << no trans again
かんなぎ (Kannagi)
Kiss×sis << no trans

This all I've done. I can try to do the others series and the nominees too but it will be a little slow. But I can't read the link you posted with the nominees because here the japanese characters on it don't appear...
Old 2009-06-20, 18:50   Link #93
Kudryavka

I'll do サ, chaos.
Old 2009-06-20, 19:06   Link #94
chaosprophet

Quote:
I'll do サ, chaos.
Ok!
Well using Rika-chama group list I tried the ア ones, but wasn't able to get many (but many shows here probably won't get through nomination) Well (I'm posting the list here, please tell me if there is a problem with doing that.

Spoiler for 'ア' Group:

Last edited by chaosprophet; 2009-06-21 at 09:09.
Old 2009-06-20, 20:02   Link #95
CCYoshi

Heyo Saimoe peoples,

Thanks for your ongoing hard work on translating all the series / characters and instructions (Komari's tutorial especially!), it's a great help. I'm not sure how much work goes into translating the results from J-Saimoe, but I figured I'd help in my own way by writing a utility to help auto-translate text.

Well, it's not a translator, but more something that finds strings and replaces them as defined by a dictionary. i.e. automatically replacing a series's Japanese name with its English name. I figure such a thing might be useful for parsing results files, so you don't have to repetitively translate series over and over again. Don't know if you use anything like this already or not, but if you're interested, please give it a shot. I tested it with the series you all have posted so far, and it worked pretty well with the results that were posted for the 1st day of nominations (in the 2ch thread.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wh5tzmlmylz

Let me know what you think, and I can help build a translation dictionary of shows / characters for J-Saimoe if you want. Cheers!

Old 2009-06-20, 20:04   Link #96
Kudryavka

Spoiler for :

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2009-06-20 at 21:03. Reason: translated some more
Old 2009-06-20, 20:38   Link #97
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCYoshi View Post
Let me know what you think, and I can help build a translation dictionary of shows / characters for J-Saimoe if you want. Cheers!
Very useful tool!That input file you used is displayed in ascII here and not unicode so I can't see the chars names... you know how can I convert it or something?

Edit: Already was able to do it!

Last edited by chaosprophet; 2009-06-20 at 22:35.
Old 2009-06-20, 22:51   Link #98
Kudryavka

Looks like a nice tool, indeed. I'm sure it will be useful to those posting the results.
And someone even tried to nominated Mio Akiyama on the ア day, lol. I can't wait to see how many nominations she gets today, on カ.
Old 2009-06-20, 23:23   Link #99
pomps
グ~…

Not much since she's already in. You can check here
http://www7.atwiki.jp/saimoe09/pages/49.html

For the カ series
Spoiler for :
Old 2009-06-20, 23:40   Link #100
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomps View Post
Not much since she's already in. You can check here
http://www7.atwiki.jp/saimoe09/pages/49.html
'Tis the list of characters eligible to be nominated for Saimoe '09.
And why is Haruhi Suzumiya (the 2009 anime, not the webseries) not on the list? Is it not eligible for Saimoe 2009?

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2009-06-21 at 00:08.
Closed Thread

Tags
anime, characters, competition, saimoe