AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-08, 10:53   Link #1
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

What cause this to happen?

Quote:
Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry. for D:\Documents and Settings\Admin\ntuser.dat
Quote:
Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry.
When I turn on the computer today, these messages pop up and my desktop is almost empty and the settings were went back to the time I installed Windows Service Pack 2 (The programs and other files were okay). What cause this to happen?

Quote:
Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.
Quote:
Windows has backed up this user's profile. Windows will automatically try to use the backed up profile the next time this user logs on.
How can I let the Windows find the local profile?
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 11:16   Link #2
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

That means the system wasn't able to read/write on your local

...WINDOWS\system32\config\system
...WINDOWS\system32\config\software

files. I always encourage people to make backups of these files periodically. Since these files are the registry (and everything is gone if the registry is gone).

Often it is possible to find a recent backup in the restore point folders:

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{some large number}\RP16

(assumed C is the drive with Windows on it... and instead of RP16 it might be the highest RP available... so if the highest is RP24 try that one first)

There should be some files inside (looks like):

A0004327.reg
A0004328.reg
A0004329.reg
change.log
change.log.1
RestorePointSize

The biggest of the files will be the before mentioned "software" file. The second biggest usually is the "system" file. It is just named differently. From the modification date of the files you can estimate the up-to-dateness.

You cannot copy those files over the currently used ones when running the instance of windows that belongs to the registry files that you are trying to overwrite (therefore you will need another instance of windows or repair console or other OSes [like a bootable Linux OS with nt-file system support).

Now for you actualy question on what can cause this:

The problem domain is too huge to mention everything... but from bad hard drives to faulty RAMs (hardware related problems) to not shutting down proberly to kernel problems/ntfs problems to virus infections (software related problems)... well you see basically everything is possible.
Old 2007-08-08, 15:52   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I noticed that the missing info is on drive D:. Do you have two hard drives (C: and D: )? If so and, as is likely, you're booting from C:, perhaps drive D: is faulty. See if you can figure out how to enter the "BIOS setup" when the machine first boots up, but before Windows launches (hitting F1, F2 or Del during boot often works if your machine doesn't tell you). You should be able to browse the menus and find a list of the hard drives the machine thinks are there and working. If one of them isn't listed, then you've found your problem.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 16:47   Link #4
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

If it was more than just this file (like a whole drive missing), a login would not be possible because of missing account information.

I assume the ntuser.dat works as a working copy of the user part of the registry files. Or is the user extension of it. Though I have no idea if backups of this file exist.
Old 2007-08-08, 17:08   Link #5
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Would clearing passwords or completely resetting a user's credentials using EBCD Pro (oss) help?
I've used it in the past on a computer which was totally fucked up by an employee after he got his notice.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 22:44   Link #6
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

That would require that there is something to reset (e.g., resetting something that is not there anymore could be complicated).

Since ntuser.dat is an important registry file that usually can't be accessed by non OS stuff it might be an indicator for a failing registry. Thatswhy I strongly recommend the backup of the earlier mentioned files system and software. Because if they have the same problem one day, more than just the custom desktop settings and short cuts are gone.