AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 75 63.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 29.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 5.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-24, 16:30   Link #61
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

God, I am enjoying every minute of this new season!

Really looking forward to see more!
Old 2009-07-24, 16:37   Link #62
Zippicus

I guess I'll have to be the one that's not particularly thrilled with the latest developments. It's all a little too melodramatic for my tastes. Oh well, hopefully they won't devote too much time to this particular problem.
Old 2009-07-24, 17:34   Link #63
cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
I think that there was no scene of the legend of a moon hunting bear in the season 1.
I felt at the time that the bear scene of the season 1 was deleted from the original so that even if the season 2 was canceled, there might be no inconvenience.
No moon hunting bear yes, but I'm almost certain I remember that he had a flashback about the town being destroyed. They just didn't say why.
Old 2009-07-24, 17:39   Link #64
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The rules of one fantasy work (or even most fantasy works) need not apply to one particular piece. In other words, we don't know if it'd work or not. Maybe Horo knows it would, or maybe she's grasping at straws - we don't know.

Some people need to not jump to conclusions:
- we still don't know what happened to Yoitsu. Even if we accept a giant bear destroyed the town at some point in the past, we don't know the extent of the destruction. We can't know from mere "legends", which are likely to be deformed and/or exaggerated.
- Horo isn't the last of her kind. She met another pack in S1, remember?
- She may be the last of her own pack... but the truth is, we don't know if her packmates were even there when Yoitsu was attacked. Even if they were, they may have survived. Killing a bunch of giant wolves is easier said than done, even for a giant bear.
Indeed they are many exception to this rule. Some are immortal but do not have the special powers. Others gain the powers the immortality without the inconveniences, like Blade has all of the Vampire traits minus the weakness to light. However 90% of the time the kids have the some or most ofve the powers and are mortal. I am intrigued to see what rule will apply here but do not want to have it revealed. I'm just saying if it's the general rule that applies then it will only make Horo worst.
Old 2009-07-24, 17:58   Link #65
chaos_animagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalier View Post
i can't help but lol very hard at this scene
i pretty similiar with the doujin
Spoiler for Horo:
LOL, I was just reading bunch of doujins while watching the episode and that scene poped up on the anime as I get to that part of the doujin... hehe....

O yea, this episode is awesome, LOVE the drama in it.
I am sad and feel for Horo, but I also feel sad for Lawrence, since he just didn't want to upset Horo so he did not told her the truth.

The thing for me is... how can Lawrence not know Horo can read?... Horo is like super wise and can solve lots of problems... and she have lived for a long time, she's bound to know the stuffs humans do (reading, writing, talking, listening...)
Old 2009-07-24, 18:07   Link #66
hero147

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
LOL, I was just reading bunch of doujins while watching the episode and that scene poped up on the anime as I get to that part of the doujin... hehe....

O yea, this episode is awesome, LOVE the drama in it.
I am sad and feel for Horo, but I also feel sad for Lawrence, since he just didn't want to upset Horo so he did not told her the truth.

The thing for me is... how can Lawrence not know Horo can read?... Horo is like super wise and can solve lots of problems... and she have lived for a long time, she's bound to know the stuffs humans do (reading, writing, talking, listening...)
The last incident where Horo wanted to read something ended up revealing that she can't in fact, read.
Old 2009-07-24, 18:43   Link #67
Voitan

Speaking of that Wolf God in Season 1.

I wasn't 100% sure what the subtext of the aftermath of that encounter, did she kill that pack, or did she have to bargain with it for Lawrence, and her safety, with herself as....
Old 2009-07-24, 18:50   Link #68
Mai Kawasumi
Party! Drink! Sex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post
Speaking of that Wolf God in Season 1.

I wasn't 100% sure what the subtext of the aftermath of that encounter, did she kill that pack, or did she have to bargain with it for Lawrence, and her safety, with herself as....
she begged to let them go, that's all

Old 2009-07-24, 18:57   Link #69
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Kawasumi View Post
she begged to let them go, that's all
That's a big relief.

When Horo said they were there because they were interested in her, it made me think that wolf pack, and it's wolf god, was a bunch of cat-calling hoodlums looking for some tail.

Her being naked and crying at the last episode of season one, and not wanting to talk about it at all, made me fear the worst.
Old 2009-07-24, 19:16   Link #70
Mai Kawasumi
Party! Drink! Sex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post
That's a big relief.

When Horo said they were there because they were interested in her, it made me think that wolf pack, and it's wolf god, was a bunch of cat-calling hoodlums looking for some tail.

Her being naked and crying at the last episode of season one, and not wanting to talk about it at all, made me fear the worst.
That's because she, being so proud of herself, had to kneel before them to beg, that hurt her pride

Old 2009-07-24, 19:56   Link #71
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

If I had to criticize this, I'd say the set up leading to the dramatic confrontation between Lawrence and Horo was a tad contrived, given the fact that the revelation about Yoitsu happened exactly when Lawrence was taking part in a bet with a distinct possibility he could lose Horo and exactly when all the odds have started turning in Amarty's favour. I can see where they're going with this, and what they want to say about Lawrence and Horo's relationship at the other side of this arc
Spoiler for speculation:
but I do think they could have done this without making it quite this forced.

Nonetheless, it is a very intensely dramatic set up they've got going here. I think this episode says a lot about Lawrence, and the number of different masters he serves. As his relationship with Horo deepens, it becomes more complex, as the number of secrets they hide from each other increases and he becomes more in tune with her sensitivities, etc. I think one of his "flaws" (in that, it's not really a flaw, but it can make their relationship more difficult) is that he approaches his relationship with Horo like he approaches his profession as a merchant, in that, lying and scheming (in appropriate amounts) lead to profit. He's not as open to Horo as he could be, and I think part of that is because he's in a profession where being "open" leaves you vulnerable. What we saw in this episode was pretty much the worst possible consequence of leaving Horo in the dark about Yoitsu, because Lawrence had no control over the circumstances in which she found out the truth (which, at this stage, as Lawrence has said, hasn't been confirmed, but given what most of the legends say, the possibility is pretty high), so he had no control over her reaction. Lawrence seems to be finding out that, sometimes, he has conflicting interests between maintaining his relationship with Horo and doing his job well (eg, "I've failed as a merchant" after he missed the boat on the pyrite while having fun at the fair with Horo.) There's almost this need for Lawrence to take his life and "simplify", but there's nothing simple when your job is a merchant (and the marketplace is so volatile) and your woman is a wolf goddess who will live forever. That's what makes this so dramatic.

But, I'm reasonably confident that
Spoiler for speculation:
This is a genuine test for their relationship.
Old 2009-07-24, 20:03   Link #72
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Also am I the only one pissed off that Lawrence was so bold as to wager Horo's trust in him for money? He believed that Horo trusted him enough that he could use it to earn him a huge sum of money and that she would go with him at the end of the deal anyway. It begs the question whether Horo's trust in him was directly equatable to money (good lord) or if he was willing to sell her off to the highest bidder.

That doesn't speak well of him.
Old 2009-07-24, 20:29   Link #73
ThinkTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
I am the only who thought the last part of the episode felt really "scripted"? I really couldn't believe the answers Lawrence gave Horo after she started questioning him, it was like the scene was forcefully set up so Horo could lose her trust in Lawrence.

On another note, I couldn't help but notice how poor the animation quality was this week. Sure, It's not a big deal for this kind of show, but the festival could have looked much more impressive with some decent animation.

Horo falling off the horse that far feels scripted. It is hard to say, since we don't know exactly what was written on the letter. I assumed it was just a letter with more fairy tales about the village, but it must have been a bit worse then that.
Old 2009-07-24, 20:39   Link #74
aulzon

Quote:
Also am I the only one pissed off that Lawrence was so bold as to wager Horo's trust in him for money? He believed that Horo trusted him enough that he could use it to earn him a huge sum of money and that she would go with him at the end of the deal anyway. It begs the question whether Horo's trust in him was directly equatable to money (good lord) or if he was willing to sell her off to the highest bidder.

That doesn't speak well of him.
But shouldn't Lawrence trust Horo? If their relationship is tight then why have to have it tied by debt. Lawrence probably thinks that Horo wanted to be with him regardless of money. If some guy offered to relieve her of debt so Horo is free to choose who she wants to be with, then all the power to her. It just turned out to be a really bad idea once the Horo went hysterical
Old 2009-07-24, 21:23   Link #75
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
I guess I'll have to be the one that's not particularly thrilled with the latest developments. It's all a little too melodramatic for my tastes. Oh well, hopefully they won't devote too much time to this particular problem.
Why in the blue blazes would you want them to not devote attention to this "particular problem" when its the crux of basically everything...Thats like wishing for a war movie not to pay much mind to the war. *boggle*

Ah anyway easily 10/10...While the easy going parts of the show are fantastic fun it's nice to see them already getting to the issues they've been lining up for this series since those dreams Horo had in episode 00. Her hysterics were both painful and sobering to see, but I can say I've found even more respect for the multi-facetedness that is her character now more then ever...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-07-24, 21:25   Link #76
Yuutsu

I don't recall there having been a reference to Yoitsu being destroyed in the first season. Same thing with the first novel; instead, I think it was first hinted at in season 2, with a brief flashback to when a young Lawrence was still with his mother (in that inn-looking place).

I may be wrong though. I have pretty damn good memory, but I make the silliest mistakes and have brain farts at the most random moment.
Old 2009-07-24, 21:47   Link #77
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

That's what I thought, which reminds me of another point I forgot to bring up.

Lawrence probably has "known" about Yoitsu this entire time, but he's simply forgotten it until recently. His meeting with Deanna probably confirmed his suspicion about the legend which he'd been told in a distant past memory. So, I think sometime just before his meeting with Deanna, but long after he began traveling with Horo, was when he remembered about Yoitsu. I wouldn't say that absolves him of keeping the secret from Horo, but it's much less uncommunicative (for lack of a better word) than keeping it from her from the beginning.
Old 2009-07-24, 22:00   Link #78
Somnus
Eh?

These are the kind of developments that really get to me.

I can understand Horo's confusion, and I wish Lawrence had more of a voice...but really, considering the situation I think even an "I love you" could've potentially made things worse. So as much as I hated it, and I wanted to say something for him, it may not have helped.

That being said, Amarti can burn in hell. If they end up...finishing what the previews show then I hope he burns before he gets there. Seriously, now I understand the hate from last episode's discussion.
Old 2009-07-24, 23:09   Link #79
klare

a scary preview of eps 4 at the end
Old 2009-07-24, 23:19   Link #80
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
It was already discussed it before -

1.Very little people know how to read.

2.She is surprised by church power in S1, meaning that she never faced the church as it is now, which also means that she did not had many chances to learn reading or writing as the church is the prime source of that. from noble but

3. Her human form is a woman. Woman were counted as a lower creatures (at first even soulless beings) by the chruch. Only a little better than dogs and other pets, thus there was no need to teach them such things as writing or reading.

4. The only way for her to learn was nobles, but she never hand around in society alll that long and not around nobles too and common people do not know how to read or write.

5. Most of the time she spends watching common people (who do not know how to read or write) from afar. How can she learn reading or writing if she only very rarely come into society? More so a village society that cannot read?

So most definitely Horo is not bound to know how to read or write. Those skills come from learning (when someone teaches) rather than from observing or from old age.
Closed Thread