AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-02, 17:19   Link #1
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Baldur's Gate 2

Did an advanced search and couldn't find a thread about it, so I guess I'll start one here.

I have played this game a fair amount of times but I have never tried any of the mods that flood the internets. I start this tread mainly to ask about this.

I keep hearing bug this, corrupted save files that and...... well, it would be nice if people here could recommend me one they have already used. Not very interested in mods that add ubber items to the game, but more in the way of fixes, optional rule changes and extra content.

I did try Shadow Keeper's character editor (for appearances purposes only ) and that seemed to work right.

*Feel free to discuss other aspects of the game if you feel like it!
Old 2010-02-02, 22:15   Link #2
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I found an extremely obscure and difficult bug to re-enact for this back in the day. I should make a YouTube video in the future because I'd spoil all the fun talking about it!

As for mods, uh, I played Kelsey once and tried to get The Darkest Day installed, but a lot of the older mods are rather buggy. It's surprisingly not as bad with Dark Side of the Sword Coast for BGI, but don't expect all your games to mesh perfectly if you try to install them all + Tutu.

I don't see what's the big deal with Tutu anyway, in fact it impedes upon the original game mechanics, which is a no-no in my book.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 03:17   Link #3
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
As for mods, uh, I played Kelsey once and tried to get The Darkest Day installed, but a lot of the older mods are rather buggy. It's surprisingly not as bad with Dark Side of the Sword Coast for BGI, but don't expect all your games to mesh perfectly if you try to install them all + Tutu.
Yeah, been reading a bit about the old mods and many people simply suggest to avoid them completely.

My main problem with the game were the constant bugs that will not allow you to sometimes finish certain sidequests (i.e: Jaheira and Mazzy's). I have now installed the bg2fixpack because it specifically mentions this bugs and supposedly fixes them.

After installing it and checking an old save, I have noticed some of the fixes mentioned in the ReadMe file, so I am currently hopeful about the rest of the fixes mentioned there.

Quote:
I found an extremely obscure and difficult bug to re-enact for this back in the day. I should make a YouTube video in the future because I'd spoil all the fun talking about it!
Curiously enough, I have never seen many of the bugs mentioned in the fixpack.
Old 2010-02-03, 10:58   Link #4
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I love Baldur's Gate 2.
It's an awesome game but I prefer Baldur's Gate 1 (especially his city).
Everything is really good: the music, the atmosphere (really important), the story, characters, the fighting system, the world... And it's really long!
There are no games like this today in my opinion. I played games like Dragon Ages Origins or Drakensang, but no one can be as good as Baldur's Gate 1/2...
Old 2010-02-03, 12:34   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The Baldur's Gate series is proof positive that Bioware only made great games when Black Isle was helping them.

I'm seriously jonesing to plow through BGII and the expansion again, but my discs are in Tulsa, and I'm in Berkeley. O.o;;;

Oh well, Fallout 2 + mods will sustain me for now.

Edit: The Infinity Engine sucks, I wish someone would make a BG series TC for NWN2's engine. (Totally never going to happen, but I can dream...) Or use a modern squad-level RTS engine... I've always wished for a Planescape: Torment remake using the Company of Heroes engine.
Old 2010-02-03, 16:45   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Edit: The Infinity Engine sucks, I wish someone would make a BG series TC for NWN2's engine. (Totally never going to happen, but I can dream...) Or use a modern squad-level RTS engine... I've always wished for a Planescape: Torment remake using the Company of Heroes engine.
I have always wanted to play a rpg maker like game that plays like Baldur's gate 2.
Old 2010-02-03, 17:17   Link #7
Velsy

Baldurs gate 1/2 was awesome. I often say to friends, why dont they make games like that anymore. Neverwinter nights 1/2 I liked and enjoyed, Dragon age had potential but failed towards the end of the game and the towns were boring and small. But I still think of Baldurs gate as the game of its time. I used to visit Planetbaldursgate all the time back then ^_^ I was a real baldurs gate nut o_O

I still get cut thinking of Keldrons ending story :'( my most favourit character!

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 17:30   Link #8
Knyghtblade
Hooked on Catgirls

Send a message via ICQ to Knyghtblade Send a message via AIM to Knyghtblade
heh i <3 bg 1 and 2

i just started playing a coop play-through of 2 last week since i finished dragon age and while good, realized it wasn't as good as BG
Knyghtblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 17:58   Link #9
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

*Cues obligatory villain entrance music*

Sorry, I was busy torturing that little girl earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I keep hearing bug this, corrupted save files that and...... well, it would be nice if people here could recommend me one they have already used. Not very interested in mods that add ubber items to the game, but more in the way of fixes, optional rule changes and extra content.
I assume you already knew about these sites (they're a google click away naturally). Be warned that the Sorcerers' Place is often outdated though it does carry some mods that the other two sites didn't list. I personally prefer G3's ease of use and organization for the purpose, but you won't find everything there.

Of these I consider the BG2Fixpack and the BG2 Tweak Pack to be essentials. Nobody should really play Baldur's Gate 2 in this day and age without these two which are essentially unofficial patches in scope. They're especially useful in that the tweak pack in particular is modular in construction, which means you get to choose what you want and often how you want it as well. Completely stable of course.

Some other recommendations:

- The original developer of BG2 independently developed the Ascension mod which greatly buffed up the difficulty of the late game epic boss fights in Throne of Bhaal. Install if you want a more challenging experience fighting *those guys*. Personally, I didn't care for the Infinity Engine's combat and stats system. I played these games for the story so it didn't impact me much.

- I have the Flirt Pack. I don't use it much, but it's there if you think your favorite NPC really just "need a hug" (and man do they need it!).

- The Banter Pack is a nice and seamless addition to the game.

- Likewise the Quest Pack, which adds new options and new sequences -- even new quests. Modular, meaning you get to pick and choose.

- I've extensively "tested out" one of the Imoen mods, named simply as Imoen Romance. I think it's decent, and as an anime fan [to be elaborated below] I just had to try it out. But be warned, it does stand out significantly from the original writing style of the game and is very *cough* physical. Personally, if I play the game again I wouldn't reinstall it.

As you can see those things with "pack" in the name are more or less good for you. They tend to be modular, constructed based on WeiDU (Infinity Engine's fan made mod installation system) and so are stable and don't conflict, and often address minor and major complaints to the game rather than add anything. My taste in mods differ from game to game, but here I am a minimalist at heart in the sense that jarring new additions (new NPCs, whatever) I don't like and never tried, so I can't really give my opinion of them for you, as I feel that the need to preserve the atmosphere of the game is more important than new content.

...oh yes, I promised to elaborate on the Imoen thing above didn't I?
Spoiler for Imoen's identity spoiler (BG1):

Quote:
I did try Shadow Keeper's character editor (for appearances purposes only ) and that seemed to work right.
Shadowkeeper is useful and it does work, yes. At the very least you can change your character model to the one least unpleasant to your eyes (BG2 is still a surprisingly beautiful game setting-wise, but the character models don't age nearly as pleasantly).
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 18:43   Link #10
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Baldurs gate 1/2 was awesome. I often say to friends, why dont they make games like that anymore?
Because Black Isle is gone. =(
Old 2010-02-03, 20:26   Link #11
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Well I read in 2008 they been working on a game called Baldurs Gate 3. Yet as when it will be surfaced, maybe late 2010. There is trend of revisting old game franchises.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 20:47   Link #12
Cinocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
Well I read in 2008 they been working on a game called Baldurs Gate 3. Yet as when it will be surfaced, maybe late 2010. There is trend of revisting old game franchises.
And where did you get this information from? I remember PC Gamer UK mentioned once about this, but since then there has been absolutely nothing.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 23:20   Link #13
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

There is a BG3 in development from what I've heard. I totally agree though that the Bhaalspawn plot should be ditched, but minor characters who lived in that era (Beregost people come to mind) should not. I'm not exactly partial to a 3D game, but the chance to revisit the Sword Coast after the Bhaalspawn saga in a new body is too strong to resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Curiously enough, I have never seen many of the bugs mentioned in the fixpack.
It was never fixed directly in any patches, although from what I was told it was indirectly dealt with because it took advantage of a spell that was involved in another problem. I told Forgotten Wars about the bug years ago, but when they went down I sent a message to Kevin Dorner of Baldurdash about it, since it's a serious power game exploit. He did fix it, but I don't know if it was incorporated into fixpacks.
Old 2010-02-04, 01:14   Link #14
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
BG3 (along with Van Buren, the original Fallout 3 concept) is another casualty of Interplay's Developer Existence Failure.
Old 2010-02-04, 03:05   Link #15
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
*Cues obligatory villain entrance music*

Sorry, I was busy torturing that little girl earlier...
I knew you would post here eventually.

Quote:
*I assume you already knew about these sites (they're a google click away naturally). Be warned that the Sorcerers' Place is often outdated though it does carry some mods that the other two sites didn't list. I personally prefer G3's ease of use and organization for the purpose, but you won't find everything there.
Yes, I already knew about two of those from a while ago. Back then, I was looking for more voice sets for my girls and ended up downloading all the sets for the story characters.

I stumbled upon G3 shortly after starting this thread.

Quote:
*Of these I consider the BG2Fixpack and the BG2 Tweak Pack to be essentials. Nobody should really play Baldur's Gate 2 in this day and age without these two which are essentially unofficial patches in scope.
I already have the BG2fixpack installed but wasn't sure if it was OK to install the other one as well. If the tweak pack works well along the fixpack then I will try it out too.

Quote:
I didn't care for the Infinity Engine's combat and stats system. I played these games for the story so it didn't impact me much.
I like both, but the gameplay factor (character building here) does play a big factor in my book. The Banter Pack does look interesting, though.

And lol, I didn't know there was so much debate among the fans regarding Imoen.

Quote:
Shadowkeeper is useful and it does work, yes. At the very least you can change your character model to the one least unpleasant to your eyes (BG2 is still a surprisingly beautiful game setting-wise)
Oh, I wasn't bothered by this, btw; My interest in the editor was mostly aimed at changing the look of my dualed characters:

-Berseker/Thief
-Berseker/Cleric
-Fighter/Mage

All three look like fighters and I wanted a different look for my mage at the very least.
Old 2010-02-04, 04:41   Link #16
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I don't recommend Shadowkeeper for editing data like that, it can, does and will corrupt some character files from time to time.

It's better if you just use a script. I still have NearInfinity installed on this PC and would be glad to write you a trigger for transforming into a certain skin.

In fact, I have an old character I made years ago named "Jackalman" who is basically a Gnoll but he's a human. Who looks like a Jackal. Portrait and all.

Care for it?
Old 2010-02-04, 05:44   Link #17
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I don't recommend Shadowkeeper for editing data like that, it can, does and will corrupt some character files from time to time.
What I read in this regard is that you need to stay withing the allowed parameters of the game; Kinda like picking a monster for your character status screen, only for the game to crash whenever you try to equip something on it.

Of course, that's just what I read.

Quote:
Care for it?
Sure, it would be interesting to see.

Scripts are another thing I have never bothered with in the past, btw.
Old 2010-02-04, 15:05   Link #18
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I'll look for it.

As far as scripts go, they're actually quite useful if you want to give or remove certain abilities from your character or customize it without risk of corrupting data, because they're highly specific to a command. If you know what the spell reference files are, which NearInfinity or Shadowkeeper are useful for, you can ForceSpell certain abilities onto yourself because the way abilities are granted in the game is through the spell system.

It's also a way to "revive yourself from death" as it were. Characters of mine who get "chunked" can be resurrected in-party using a script, with the avatar of choice (I prefer the basic skeleton). I discovered this was the case in BG1 when for some odd reason a chunk of flesh was still in my party, and while it could be revived in BG2 it couldn't move. There was another bizarre incident in the Underdark when one of the spawned Liches created a Mislead or Simulacrum while being chunked, creating a floating, spellcasting fleshball that couldn't be targeted directly with melee or spells.
Old 2010-02-04, 16:46   Link #19
Knyghtblade
Hooked on Catgirls

Send a message via ICQ to Knyghtblade Send a message via AIM to Knyghtblade
Quote:
The original Baldur's gate 3 that was in development became Dragon Age when Atari pulled the DnD license from Bioware.
Knyghtblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 17:52   Link #20
Tom Bombadil

I remember in one play through I used console to add Bodhi to my party and played through the later half of SoA and the whole ToB with her. It kinds make the game much easier because she is very overpowered, but also fun since it is different.

I tried the same trick on several other characters as well, Kangaxx, etc. But nothing beats having a sexy vampire in your party.