AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-09-06, 18:17   Link #1
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Top Censored stories of 2003-2004

I found this site today and its interesting and frightening at the same time. It contains a list of the top 25 censored media stories. http://www.projectcensored.org/publi...005/index.html

The one's that really sound the alarm for me are:

#3: Bush Administration Censors Science

#4: High Levels of Uranium Found in Troops and Civilians

#11: The Media Can Legally Lie

#14: New Bill Threatens Intellectual Freedom in Area Studies

#15: U.S. Develops Lethal New Viruses

#16: Law Enforcement Agencies Spy on Innocent Citizens

#17: U.S. Government Represses Labor Unions in Iraq in Quest for Business Privatization

#24: Reinstating the Draft
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 18:32   Link #2
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I actually posted about the possibility of a draft when news of it first broke out a few months ago on a different forum. The news story that I originally got the news from no longer has the story, but I saved a copy for a rainy day:

From http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...a_congressorg:

Pending Draft Legislation Targeted for Spring 2005
The Draft will Start in June 2005

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and HR 163 forward this year, http://www.hslda.org/legislation/na...s89/default.asp entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the committee on armed services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era.

College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

Even those voters who currently support US actions abroad may still object to this move, knowing their own children or grandchildren will not have a say about whether to fight. Not that it should make a difference, but this plan, among other things, eliminates higher education as a
shelter and includes women in the draft.

The public has a right to air their opinions about such an important decision.

Please send this on to all the friends, parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents, and cousins that you know. Let your children know too -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change!

Please also contact your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and contact newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 18:35   Link #3
Grona
Big Damit!

I supose #22: Censoring Iraq is where the rape that garbage over there comitted falls under.
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 18:48   Link #4
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I actually posted about the possibility of a draft when news of it first broke out a few months ago on a different forum.
I also remember we talked about it in some anti-Bush/Iraq/political thread we had here a few months ago. I'm too lazy to search for it right now though.
Old 2004-09-06, 19:04   Link #5
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux

To me this one sounds the worst.. I'll probably end up working in the media department, but I hope my skills won't go helping misinformations. This is something I totally can't accept, pisses me off. I'd say at least(just a guess) 60-70% of people watching news/read newspaper and stuff like that believes everything they say. Like making a good side and an evil side out of a conflict when neither are good or bad, just defending their self-justifications and beliefs.

There's other things that are bad in this list too.. but this one hitted me.
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 19:14   Link #6
Voltage
若い雷

Send a message via AIM to Voltage
Guys, don't forget the lies pentagon made when they said that a Boeing 757 hit the pentagon on 9/11. There was no evidence of a Boeing 757 anywhere. My guess, is that it was a missile attack. Here's a link for you: Here
Voltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 19:51   Link #7
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage
Guys, don't forget the lies pentagon made when they said that a Boeing 757 hit the pentagon on 9/11. There was no evidence of a Boeing 757 anywhere. My guess, is that it was a missile attack. Here's a link for you: Here
This little flash movie here had answer the question I had when I saw the news footage the first time:

Where is the god-damn plane parts?! There should be at least a hull.
Old 2004-09-06, 20:28   Link #8
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Its freaky how much the government lies to us. Why would they say it was a plane? Because a missle is "scarier" and they didn't want to put the already terrified Americans under a greater level of shock? Just say it was a damn missle! Whether it was a missle or a plane, the public will be scared shitless regardless you stupid feds.
Old 2004-09-06, 20:51   Link #9
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Its freaky how much the government lies to us. Why would they say it was a plane? Because a missle is "scarier" and they didn't want to put the already terrified Americans under a greater level of shock? Just say it was a damn missle! Whether it was a missle or a plane, the public will be scared shitless regardless you stupid feds.
Though I take these conspiracy theories with a grain of salt, your logic seems a bit flawed if this is actually true. Basically, by calling it an airplane, the public would be MORE scared and depend on the administration more because it would make it seem as if the threat of terrorists inside our country is greater than it really was, thus gaining support for the Homeland Security Act.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 01:38   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

First I'd just liek to say, while this censorship is scary, even scarier is the real reasoning behind a lot of it. While some of it is in fact a goventment sponsered cover up, sadily much of it is a cover up by the media itself, because it either goes againt the agenda of the owners of the media conglomerates or even worse, because they know the public just doesn't want to hear about stuff like teaching kids false information when they could be hearing about michael jackson's interest in young boys or how scott peterson may or may not have killed his wife. This isn't just a matter of the government/large corporations are evil. Much of it is the result of an apathic public. If people cared, this would be impossible to get away with.
Quote:
I really find it amusing that because the government says something, it must be a lie, but a flash animation on the internet must be the complete 100% truth.
Fact > the government lies
fact > the government doesn't lie about everything
fact > there was no need to lie in this case
fact > a 757 was hijacked, and crashed somewhere
fact > no wreakage from a 757 was found anywhere else that couldn't be accounted for.
fact > it doesn't take a lot of skill to slam a plane into a building as large as the pentagon, a basic knowledge of controls and some luck are all that's required
fact > a missile wouldn't damage the building like that, the war head would explode, meaning most of the damage would be at the point of furthest penatration, not the initial impact
fact > aircraft are not designed to survive a collision with anything much larger than a bird.
fact > the kenetic energy of a commercial aircraft traveling at 560 mph would cause the wings to disintergrate on impact
fact > the eyewitnesses are not trained observers.
fact > most people can't tell the difference between a missile and an aircraft by sound alone.
Could you really tell the difference between a 777, 747, 757, a leer jet, or a missile as it flew past your window at that speed. It's a lot harder than it seems. sit by the edge of a highway *a safe distance back of course* look straight ahead and try to tell what kind of cars are driving past at about 55 mph without turning your head or moving your eyes to follow them. Then try to imagine what it would be like if they were moving 10 times as fast. Then you have an idea of how hard it is.
As for the lack or wreckage, there was no lack, it just wasn't in an identifiable form. As a plane hits something like a building head on, it starts to disinitergrate. The part that went through the last wall was actually the tail of the aircraft. I've seen crash test footage that shows an entire plane dissappearing as it slams into a reinforced concreate wall designed to withstand the impact for one test.
This whole thing is just a complete lack of understanding of the behavior of the materials that make up a plane under the forces imposed on it by such a collision.
the other crashed planes that were shown hit the ground under completely different conditions. They were probably going slower, and didn't hit head on, rather at an angle, so the force of impact was distributed differently. slam your car head on into a guard rail at 90 mph, then brush up against it at the same speed. Will the 2 collisions have the same amount of damage? it's the same thing here.
Also remember:
fact > people on the internet lie too.
Old 2004-09-07, 01:51   Link #11
NovionSolarius
MysticAngelis

Send a message via AIM to NovionSolarius Send a message via MSN to NovionSolarius Send a message via Yahoo to NovionSolarius
Question What hit the Pentagon on 9/11?

http://pages.infinit.net/noc/pentagon.swf

Creepy stuff... really puts questions into your head.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/boeing.htm
Provides more information and speculates a bit
NovionSolarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 02:35   Link #12
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Ummm, we are already talking about this event in the Censored Media story thread here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=20186

In fact, I think the exact same link you gave is in that thread as well.
Old 2004-09-07, 02:38   Link #13
Entropy
Flame warrior

I gotta admit,that link really spreads around quickly...
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 03:18   Link #14
Voltage
若い雷

Send a message via AIM to Voltage
There was no sign of an airplane. They did not find any parts of airplanes at the Pentagon. But what they did find were parts to what looks like a missile. If a plane really hit the Pentagon, the Thousands of gallons of jet fuel would do more damage... The damage to the Pentagon was too clean to be an airplane impact.

Planes leave wreckages, even if they disintegrate.
Voltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 03:28   Link #15
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
If you people think this is bad, just imagine what the goverments doing that doesent get out. I'm suprised to think after the 1950's people like to play the game they are still on par with their controllers. Insert 50 cents and play again.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 03:29   Link #16
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
This topic was just in another thread. Hey "original"!
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 04:01   Link #17
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

We ALL know the aliens did it, Area 51 just happened to press a wrong button in one of the spacecrafts they have for research...whoops, time to lie ^^" lol
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 04:20   Link #18
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
#1: Wealth Inequality in 21st Century Threatens Economy and Democracy
#2: Ashcroft vs. the Human Rights Law that Hold Corporations Accountable
#5: The Wholesale Giveaway of Our Natural Resources
#6: The Sale of Electoral Politics
#7: Conservative Organization Drives Judicial Appointments
#18: Media and Government Ignore Dwindling Oil Supplies
All issues that have been around for over a century now. These are stories that get censored by the public rather than the media, i.e. nobody cares enough anymore.
Quote:
#12: The Destabilization of Haiti
I remember reading about this and thinking, "Great another civil war right on our doorstep, which we will promptly make worse." Which is pretty much what happened.
Quote:
#17: U.S. Government Represses Labor Unions in Iraq in Quest for Business Privatization
Makes perfect sense to me. We rescued them from being an oppressed 3rd world country, now they're an oppressed 1st world country. Welcome to the club.

Most of those stories made it out in some fashion or another. You just have to get used to having multiple outside sources for your news.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 04:42   Link #19
Ending

Guess what they all have in common?

U-S-A. 'Nuff said.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 14:47   Link #20
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
Interesting video there voltage. I never really thought about that but then again I was more worried about getting my ass home from Cali b/c they stopped all flights for 2-3 days.
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote