AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-05-11, 18:57   Link #21
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Of course it's important. There's a reason why teams like Red Bull Renault skyrocketed in the F1. Their cars. Of course Vettel and Webber are great drivers, but their machines do as much if not more of the work.

Rally is extremely more dependant on the team that made the car. For example, a few days ago the Argentina WRC ended, and it was brilliant. In any case, you have to do a LOT of work on a car for it to be rally-able, if you intend on not destroying your suspension, that is.

Niker

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 19:02   Link #22
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
To be honest, I've always thought the engineering team who built and maintain the car to be more important then the driver, when it comes to motorsport.

Not to say the driver isn't important, but the quality of the car is more decisive. The driver is just a component, as important as the engine or gearbox.

In another sport, the person is the entire vehicle for that sport, but in motorsport, they're only a fraction of the vehicle. That said, there are a lot of unsung heroes in normal sport too (all the coaches and trainers...). I don't think they're as unsung as in motorsport though...
I'd say that's true to a point. Especially in insanely technical motorsports like F1. A great diver can't really achieve all that much in a substandard car. I'd say it's 70% car 30% driver. However given a great car, a substandard driver as a component is completely fatal one. In F1 there's such a small difference between the talent and skill of the top half of the drivers.

There have been quite a few drivers that transcend their equipment though. Senna being the most notable. The stuff he did in his Toleman and Lotus years were absolutely unbelievable. It really was a case of 99% driver 1% car.

One thing I can say from personal experience, you really need to be pretty damn good to make it in even the lowest levels of competitive motorsports. I'm not horribly bad in fast driving but I was still outpaced by 15 seconds a lap in the Formula Ford by a 16 year old racing driver over a 1:20 lap. That was a bit depressing.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 19:14   Link #23
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Wait, Shelby's dead?
Old 2012-05-11, 19:20   Link #24
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Sadly, yes.

Niker

Old 2012-05-11, 19:49   Link #25
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
I'd say that's true to a point. Especially in insanely technical motorsports like F1. A great diver can't really achieve all that much in a substandard car. I'd say it's 70% car 30% driver. However given a great car, a substandard driver as a component is completely fatal one. In F1 there's such a small difference between the talent and skill of the top half of the drivers.

There have been quite a few drivers that transcend their equipment though. Senna being the most notable. The stuff he did in his Toleman and Lotus years were absolutely unbelievable. It really was a case of 99% driver 1% car.

One thing I can say from personal experience, you really need to be pretty damn good to make it in even the lowest levels of competitive motorsports. I'm not horribly bad in fast driving but I was still outpaced by 15 seconds a lap in the Formula Ford by a 16 year old racing driver over a 1:20 lap. That was a bit depressing.
I'd say that most of the drivers in the F1, and other top ranked competitions, are all so close together in skill, that the main differentiator between them is the car. Now any of those drivers could beat any of us with a substandard car quite handily. But the vast majority of drivers out there have only fractions of a second seperating them from one another.

I think it comes down to the fact that people prefer to get behind individuals then large teams, and the driver is more glamourous then the engineers who built the thing.

The question is, when Schumacher was winning every race out there, was it Schumacher? Or was it the Ferrari he was driving.

Ultimately, I think the engineering that goes into the car is far more interesting then the races themselves. At least the car manufacturer names the team.

Still, it would be cool if there were documentaries following the manufacturing and design of the car. Might make a good anime...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 20:01   Link #26
flying ^

This just in

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/12/sp...ies-at-89.html
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 04:04   Link #27
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Personally I think the addition of 'Race gadgets' like Anti-lock braking, Traction control, etc.
put even less definition of skill in the driver

Hell, even in the MotoGP there's traction control now
leaving a much lower skill level to be able to accelerate out of corners without 'losing it'
Old 2012-05-12, 06:55   Link #28
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Regarding motorsports and anime, Highly recomend that anyone that hasn't seen Initial D, check it out.

On Motorsports though, watching the F1 practice and loving it. It's amazing how I remember the track after playing it thousands of times in Forza Motorsport

Niker

Old 2012-05-12, 11:34   Link #29
Gawers

I could recognize Suzuka circuit in Bari Bari Densetsu (1987). Suzuka circuit is for motorsport like koshien for baseball in Japan?
Gawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 17:36   Link #30
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

As a Button fan, I found the qualifying session disappointing. As a racing fan, I found it fantastic! So far, the season really is quite exciting.

Also, WTF is HRT doing? It's almost like they enjoy starting the race from the back row.
Old 2012-05-13, 08:57   Link #31
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

It was nice to see Danica get some experience at Darlington last night.

Endless "Typing this while still in bed" Soul
Old 2012-05-13, 09:15   Link #32
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I have watched Formula 1 too, and I watched it more religiously back then. Now, I've started to pick it up back again after Ferrari showed some promise.

It was unfortunate that Hamilton was robbed of his pole after breaking a certain rule. What's even more unfortunate was that Karthikeyan managed to qualify for the race, and so puts Hamilton to the very back.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 00:59   Link #33
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm not a fan of racing bikes, but I thought this looked pretty cool

Endless "Gyro" Soul
Old 2012-05-14, 08:52   Link #34
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I'm not a fan of racing bikes, but I thought this looked pretty cool

Endless "Gyro" Soul
That's an amazing video. That guy is pretty brave ride that bike on the Nordschleife. BTW, that GyroCam is cool.
Old 2012-05-14, 13:59   Link #35
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

It takes a big man to do 'The Ring" on a bike at that speed
usually the exotic cars are blasting you by
Old 2012-05-14, 15:39   Link #36
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbat® View Post
It takes a big man to do 'The Ring" on a bike at that speed
usually the exotic cars are blasting you by
And the occasional van, with certain Sabine Schmitz behind the wheel.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

But, yeah. That's perfectly crazy speed on the bike. That braking into Bergwerk, sheesh...
Old 2012-05-14, 15:51   Link #37
Black0raz0r
Red vs Blue

Send a message via MSN to Black0raz0r
just came back today from Barcelona where I watched Formula One LIVE

for THIS sport.... I'll go to the end of the world to watch it

got an autograph from Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber

9 year ago I watch the Formula One GP from Austria LIVE, Last year I watched the GP from Germany LIVE this weekend I watched GP from Spain
lets see which GP is next
Old 2012-05-14, 16:06   Link #38
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black0raz0r View Post
just came back today from Barcelona where I watched Formula One LIVE

for THIS sport.... I'll go to the end of the world to watch it

got an autograph from Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber

9 year ago I watch the Formula One GP from Austria LIVE, Last year I watched the GP from Germany LIVE this weekend I watched GP from Spain
lets see which GP is next
Spa? Before Bernie and the boys deem it too good and drop it from the calendar in favor of another stop-n-go street circuit, made incredibly boring with superior skill, by the number one enemy of F1, Hermann Tilke.