Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-07-08, 13:24   Link #401
AnimeFan188

Looks like AX finally broke the 100K barrier:

Anime Expo: New Record Set With 100,420 Unique Attendees

And according to the closing ceremonies, the next AX (2017) is going to
be a *5* day event.

That's *really* going to run the staff ragged!
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-08, 13:47   Link #402
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

5 days? Yikes. What kind of programming are they going to schedule on a day that's a workday for 90% of the population?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-08, 16:40   Link #403
YF19EX

I probably see it as possibility a limited first day. Probably the main exhibition hall. But the core events on the weekend and Monday with the last day as cleanup and closing events.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-08, 16:45   Link #404
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yes, conflicts on Sat/Sun were a big issue for me. Couldn't go to the BnHA event because it conflicted with the I.G./FLCL event. Almost missed the Bones/Mob Psycho event because it started at the same time the FLCL event ended, three blocks away. Several panels I couldn't attend because of similar conflicts. Friday, OTOH, had basically nothing I really cared about.
So, it wasn't just me twiddling my thumbs on Friday then. When I saw the schedule, I had to recheck that I hadn't actually missed something that I might want to see that day. In the end I was going to use it to try and get as many autographs as I wanted from the guest I wanted to see to cut back further on conflicts with Sat/Sun. That didn't work out either. At one point I thought about taking a bus up to work and getting a few hours in then just coming back for the AMV contest. The only thing of note I really wanted to do that day.

I can understand the reasoning behind why things were scheduled the way they were. In the words of Mr. Crabs, "Money, money, money, money, money..." Having every major guest on the two days most people get off, might encourage more attendees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Looks like AX finally broke the 100K barrier:

Anime Expo: New Record Set With 100,420 Unique Attendees

And according to the closing ceremonies, the next AX (2017) is going to
be a *5* day event.

That's *really* going to run the staff ragged!
Quote:
5 days? Yikes. What kind of programming are they going to schedule on a day that's a workday for 90% of the population?
From the sounds of it, it looks like the extra day is just a preview night. I think SDCC does or has done something similar. Not sure what that would entail though.
Old 2016-07-09, 20:02   Link #405
BPD Renegade

I can commiserate about the conflicts. I was only able to attend for a day, and it seemed like almost everything I wanted to see conflicted in some way with each other. I was especially bummed out to find that the Shinkai film and I.G. panel was at the same time as the first Band Battle which I had already bought tickets for. In the end, I was only able to make the Suwabe panel and the concert, and it felt like I barely took anything in.

Quote:
People really into it can always take a day off... Or call in a "sick" day.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 15:48   Link #406
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
As others have mentioned, this will most likely be a "preview night" for those who arrived at the con/picked up their badges the night before the con starts. As for what to expect, based on other cons, I'm guessing either some additional panels and screenings (ones that won't attract huge crowds) or, if they go the Otakon, a "festival" style concert. However, I'm not sure the Dealers' Room will be open that night.
Old 2016-07-14, 05:36   Link #407
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Old 2017-06-14, 17:30   Link #408
Cloudedmind

Who's ready for AX 2017?!

They've already announced a couple of guests, but the one of note for me is Tomokazu Seki will be at the Infini T Force screening....now where's all my really old Domon Kasshu stuff. :P
Old 2017-06-14, 22:41   Link #409
AnimeFan188

The schedule for AX'17 is up. I hope they post a printer-friendly version, since I prefer to
have a paper copy of the schedule.

If they don't post a printer-friendly version, is there some way to make the existing
version printable?
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-15, 17:55   Link #410
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Miyu Irino added today. That's a must for me.

Now, watch them schedule it against the Ballroom premiere...
Old 2017-06-15, 18:00   Link #411
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Miyu Irino added today. That's a must for me.

Now, watch them schedule it against the Ballroom premiere...
OMG, I was just thinking about him possibly coming the other day. I'm not sure why him specifically, maybe because of the whole being on haitus to travel.
Old 2017-06-21, 23:42   Link #412
Cloudedmind

I didn't see this on the AX site, so either he's being brought over by another company, or I missed the announcement on AX's twitter or something. Daisuke Hirakawa will also be at AX this year. He's holding a two hour panel on Sunday according to the current AX app schedule. I'm surprised it's so long, but happy, although he'll be in one of the smaller rooms.
Old 2017-06-25, 21:11   Link #413
YF19EX

Oh another AX where I won't get any sleep, or proper time to eat or relax, rush from one end of the LACC to the next in lovely humid Socal weather. And I go here to get away from work???
Old 2017-06-26, 00:12   Link #414
RobotCat
In a Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
Oh another AX where I won't get any sleep, or proper time to eat or relax, rush from one end of the LACC to the next in lovely humid Socal weather. And I go here to get away from work???
It should be a cool 75 this AX weekend, lucky for you!
Old 2017-06-26, 12:33   Link #415
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Leave it to A/X to schedule the FLCL sequel panel and the Evergarden premiere at the same time, ROFL.
Old 2017-06-26, 13:26   Link #416
YF19EX

There is so much cross scheduled, its impossible to get to everything. The Anisong concert sits on top of Irregular Magic High school movie premier.
Old 2017-06-26, 15:32   Link #417
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's frustrating because, to me, those are two events that are must-covers. That's why you allow press - to get coverage of events like that. But I can't - I have to make a choice. Meanwhile, there are vast stretches of the schedule with pretty much nothing major going on.
Old 2017-06-26, 17:02   Link #418
Cloudedmind

At this point I almost think they do it on purpose as a kind of "line control". Schedule two big events at the same time, means you split the number of people waiting in any of those lines.
Old 2017-06-27, 01:06   Link #419
YF19EX

To a degree, at the size AX has gotten, they should have made Day 0 a full blown day given the Anisong Concert is going on. I will be hard pressed into AX this year from arrival on Friday to the first Anisong concert that night to the autograph ticketing line early morning, industry signings and the final concert on Saturday night. One thing after the next.

So I have had to re-prioritize my schedule over the years since it is too much to cover. And pray to what ever god their is, that there are enough activities to draw peoples interests away from what I am looking for.

1. Autographs and Guests are firsts.
2. Sketches and Commissions an extremely close 2nd since they tend to be rarer to get these days.
3. Panels are third.
4. Premier series are a distant fourth. I know they will be out publicly, so no rush on my part. But bloggers and reporters who want to get the skinny on the new work before it hits mainstream, I can understand it being a huge draw for them.

I sacrificed watching Your Name last year to get to Shinkai's autograph line and talk with the man. I still have not seen the movie. To me getting to guests, talking with them and getting autographs and even drawings from artist are once in a life time opportunities that are more afforded in a US convention than ever in Japan itself.

It is nice that there are plenty of repeat guests I have already met since it detracts more people to them and possibly away from the newer guests or rare guests like Minori Chihara who has not been back to AX since the debacle of 2007 and only has one AX signing on Saturday.

Basically AX is a real life loot grind with somewhat average RNG when you look at it.
Old 2017-06-27, 10:42   Link #420
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sayo Yamamoto was just announced today. I can only assume that's going to be huge.

Tags
conventions