Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-01-23, 00:25   Link #201
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
I wouldn't call her vanilla, that's too good for how she is vanilla has presence and you can always pick it from the bunch and you feel satisfaction when done with it.

If she is going to be compared to something it's tofu, boring, bland, little to no presence, it's there but not there at the same time and leaves you feeling nothing at the end.
sigh, because all character developments should be completed in the first two episodes If we're going by that, then you can also label every other characters as "generic arch-type" and call it a day.

All the characters have their on quirks, frankly they haven't gotten around to showing them yet. Kato is refreshing for me as for once there is actually a character that's not an exaggerated walking trope.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 02:26   Link #202
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yet another funny episode for me. Was chuckling at the opening with the MC embellishing the last episode, only to be called out for it in a broken fourth wall scene. Lots of little scenes after that also made me smirk, but I totally lost it at "Stay the night! Please make a man out of me!" only for them to spend the night playing video games. XD

Spoiler for for the other anime Maruto wrote:

That spiel about being 'jimi'... man, I wish a certain MC of a certain popular LN/anime held the same sentiments. Well, he HAD the same opinion alway defending the 'jimi' girl in the first volume, even having 'girly thoughts' that he wants to go to the same university as her, but I have no idea what happened to it after. Ungrateful brat...

Going back to the show, that's a major reason why I can't bring myself to hate Kato. Self labelling herself as 'jimi' when 'plain jane' used to be a big feature of childhood friends? While hers is more literal, being 'not noticed' by the MC is something that also afflicts a good portion of childhood friends in anime. Being nonchalant when she is taken to a food place or even coming over to his house. Yeah, Kato has so many traits of that trope despite not belonging to it.

"If fate or coincidence played no role in encounters, the world's couples would be composed of nothing but childhood friends." Okay Utaha, very well said. I don't hate you anymore... as much.

Which begs the question, what is Utaha to Tomoya? Definitely brings out the possibility that she is another one who has known Tomoya for a long time. Regardless, I'm glad that came out of Utaha's mouth, as it is as good as Maruto saying it; it has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that, for me, he understands the osananajimi trope inside and out. Maybe sympathetic to it even? I can only hope lols.

Thing is, it's INCREDIBLY ironic. The very idea of osananajimi is partly tied to the reason that BECAUSE they have met each other at a young age (or even grew up together), that these two share a special, intimate understanding of each other. And that understanding of each other is the 'red thread' that connects the two together and as such they are FATED to be together when they are grown up. Across space and time even? Can't count how many times two meet back again in high school when the two has lost touch after some incident. XD

As a side note, can't watch eps 2 on android despite it being a third of a day after the airing? WTF Crunchyroll?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 02:34   Link #203
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 2:
For some reason, why there's so many Memories Off cameos when Maruto-san didn't write those visual novels? Maybe it's just like OreImo and its bucket-load of real VNs!

Still, it's gonna be a pain in the ass for Aki-kun to train Megumi into his bit- I mean, heroine for his visual novel!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 04:05   Link #204
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post

All the characters have their on quirks, frankly they haven't gotten around to showing them yet. Kato is refreshing for me as for once there is actually a character that's not an exaggerated walking trope.
That's curious. To me, Kato seems to be the exaggerated walking trope of the nearly Stoic, seemingly unfazable Deadpan snarker. That being said, she's a multi-dimensional character, albeit with exaggerated quirks.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 05:04   Link #205
Mentar
Banned

Oh no no no, I don't hate Kato at all. The one who seriously gets on my nerves right now is Tomoya, and Kato is simply too much of a nonentity yet to give him the smackdown he deserves. I hope she enhances her snarky side quickly.

Yes, there undeniably _is_ some charm to having a deadpan, unfazed girl simply letting a heated jerkface's lectures slide off of her (the "make a man out of me" sequence was delicious), but it doesn't last well for 15 minutes, IMHO. I really wanted someone to punch some reality into Tomoya, and this time, unfortunately Utaha/Eriri were catfighting more than meting out divine punishment.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 08:07   Link #206
Alf

Well, Kato is not the kind of character to smack Tomoya right in the face, but to watch him push the self destruction button. He always do.

Tomoya is the representation of all those otaku talks. The core of this humour is that, one had been trying to be a serious otaku in a laughable way in the past and then become self aware, or have seen such people, or read articles or such thoughts, and then get to see this otaku trait in a more relaxed way, then you get the irony.

Third person perspective is best for watching this. Although I heard Tomoya is going to get some real smack down later, that seems to be too far down the road and I don't think that will be included in this adaption so don't expect that.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 08:59   Link #207
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That episode was actually really good. Kato is singlehandedly saving this show. Hopefully, Aki will soon realize she's already perfect and won't force her to change. I doubt it's possible to change her anyway. She gives zero fucks. Despite being a so called boring girl, she actually had some damn hilarious retorts. She's the perfect tsukkomi to Aki's bokke. If she had been featured more in episode 0 and 1, I definitely wouldn't have disliked them so much.
Old 2015-01-23, 10:47   Link #208
Draco Spirit

So I watched the first 3 episodes back to back.

Not to shabby a show, the weird outlining a interesting quirk, the self referencing humor made me giggles and all the girls are amazing in there own way. It be interesting to see hows this goes.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 10:56   Link #209
Tenzen12

Kato is definitely fun and she is pretty much Akis kryptonite... Yet her quirk work too well, she is sort of detached from everyone, non-existent, and lacking any king of chemistry with anyone.

I really hope she I'd not gonna be main heroine, but unfortunately remaining two girls do they best create best position got her.
Old 2015-01-23, 11:09   Link #210
R.LocK
My turn

Tenzen, sorry, but your last sentence's really confusing.

I wonder how flashy the cousin's entrance will be.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 11:24   Link #211
Tenzen12

it was supposed be "FOR her". And I meant something along "Two dogs fight for a bone, and a third runs away with it." line. To put it simply just bickering with each other means

a)neither of them have any progress on their own
b)they became sort of duo, and loose individuality needed for competition.
Old 2015-01-23, 12:08   Link #212
Miraluka
Banned

Oh, you don't know how wrong you are regarding that .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 12:13   Link #213
Tenzen12

That's how it is in general, but if I am wrong in this particular case... lucky me. (I wouldn't mind be mildly spoiled)
Old 2015-01-23, 12:48   Link #214
Tranhieu

Ore wo otoko ni shite kure!

Best line this week, and Katou's monotonic reaction didn't help at all. Despite having a very unoriginal story, this show is really saved by its dialogues and character interactions. Katou's tsukkomi at every Tomoya's remark was just gold, and the best part was that she made it so natural and unfazed as if there was some sort of link between those 2. Hopefully they will spend more time on Katou's character before moving onto the other girls.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 15:15   Link #215
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 3

Yeah, I think like Tomoya's interactions with Kato's more than any other girl so far simply because she puts his antics in such comedic light. Those two play off each other way too well making this the most enjoyed episode thus far.

That said, I'm probably going to co-sign this to the backlog for now due to lack of time and preference for several other shows that currently airing.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 22:56   Link #216
Chosen_Hero

Saw the second episode and the MC is still as annoying as ever, seriously what a dick, who is he to push his unrealistic otaku expectations on someone like that? This guy embodies the worse parts of otaku culture and their expectations, these girls just going with his whims because they like him (seriously why do they even like him?) just going to make him more insufferable in the end.

Still don't see what makes Kato "best girl", all I see is a girl that is letting the MC try and remake her personality into his ideal because how she truly is isn't good enough and as a guy seeing this kind of woman that basically let's someone trample on her true self and is trying to force her to change when she doesn't want to really pisses me off. I don't hate her and do find her lines amusing but I just don't see why being normal or unrealistically normal deserves so much praise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
"If fate or coincidence played no role in encounters, the world's couples would be composed of nothing but childhood friends." Okay Utaha, very well said. I don't hate you anymore... as much.
Yeah, because fate and encounters are the only thing that determine whether someone should fall for a person, right? It's not like they can just walk up to someone they find interesting without having mysteriously bumped into each other or it is not like someone else can introduce them without them having had an "encounter meeting" before, right? God forbid they fall in love without someone falling on their crotch at every turn amd you know actually walked and talked like normal people.

If what Utaha said were true than the real world which doesn't have fate and coincidences happening for everyone at every turn (sure it may happen to a few people) to help them encounter their "fated person" would be filled with nothing but childhood friends which it isn't.

Fated encounters are being put on too high a pedestal by Utaha with that sentence as if they were essential for romance to bloom between people than we would all have our fate person by our sides.

Last edited by Chosen_Hero; 2015-01-24 at 06:55.
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 23:27   Link #217
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero
Saw the second episode and the MC is still as annoying as ever, seriously what a dick, who is he to push his unrealistic otaku expectations on someone like that? This guy embodies the worse parts of otaku culture and their expectations, these girls just going with his whims because they like him (seriously why do they even like him?) just going to make him more insufferable in the end.
They are still rejecting him in some way he could take the hint he is being delusional.

Of course, that's the point, we are supposed to not like his current self and somewhat agreed with what Eriri and Utaha said about him. And sadly, he met Kato who goes along with him.
Old 2015-01-24, 01:37   Link #218
HandofFate

The one thing that makes me not totally write off the MC is that he does accept the criticism when they say his ideas suck, since there's been plenty of other Otaku MCs that don't even accept that. And end up getting bailed out by some lucky circumstances to make it seem like they were right all along here.

I don't think its going to be like that. At the least, if Katou does listen to him, its her acting the part like an actress rather than actually changing her personality.
Old 2015-01-24, 06:43   Link #219
Triok123

ok just watched ep 0....now i'm wondering what would have happened if katou stayed out instead of helping MC..
Triok123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-24, 06:45   Link #220
Miraluka
Banned

He wouldn't be spoiled?

Tags
comedy, romance