AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-14, 13:31   Link #28241
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just caught up with this thread after a few days, and all I see is talk about abortion and conscription. Did I miss the discussion on the flare-up between Taiwan and the Philippines? It's already Wednesday now in Taiwan. What happened with the ultimatum?

http://news.yahoo.com/taiwan-gives-p...031338922.html
http://www.philstar.com/headlines/20...tension-taiwan
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/781641.shtml
Old 2013-05-14, 14:45   Link #28242
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Sure, because they'll be laughing at you, or at least in East Asia. Why don't you try bringing up some numbers? Try reading this for starters for the situation in the US.
Your reference doesn't help your case, unless you have some bizarre definition of "irresponsible behavior".

" most of the time abortion is done due to irresponsible behavior."

That link doesn't support that statement. The survey itself also has an overlap between several categories. "unready for responsibility" overlaps "can't afford" and several other possible reasons. These are also US survey numbers and we're talking about attempts in the US to block abortion access, sex education access, and contraceptive access. Not sure what East Asia has to do with that.

Quote:
Contraceptives exist for a reason. There are the emergency pills. Thereare also the risky medical conditions which require abortion. The problem is, how many abortions are done because the first two haven't been done or done improperly and the third condition does not exist? As it turns out, that's the majority.
Your math, again, doesn't add up, using your own link. Contraceptives and condoms have fail rates when used properly. Emergency pills have fail rates when used properly. The laws being implemented state by state in the US remove access to care, access to products, and access to education.

Quote:
Basically, all I'm seeing is a biased view of the situation in order to slam those who disagree with you. I know you're intelligent enough to actually go out and research, so perhaps you should try it before insulting others without knowing what is going on.
I know what is going on, thanks. I'm surrounded by doctors, pharmacists, and technicians who are my friends. I read the news. I follow the research.

It isn't an insult to point out you made an assertion without the basis to back it up. If you want to talk about some place like China where people abort because of the collision between the "one child policy" and the culturally sexist desire to have a male, then that's a different topic. You should familiarize yourself with what is going on in the US with the concerted attempt to basically throw women back into second class humanity by an across-the-board attack from social conservative zealots.

These same zealots in the US do not want to create or support the infrastructure needed that would actually reduce the number of abortions, hence my analysis that it leaves only two underlying reasons for their actions - punishment for having sex at all and a desire to reshackle women under the old-fashioned patriarchal "values" of chattel.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-05-14 at 15:00.
Old 2013-05-14, 14:53   Link #28243
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ It also depends on your definition of irresponsible.

Quote:
That link doesn't support that statement. The survey itself also has an overlap between several categories. "unready for responsibility" overlaps "can't afford" and several other possible reasons. These are also US survey numbers and we're talking about attempts in the US to block abortion access, sex education access, and contraceptive access. Not sure what East Asia has to do with that.
Either or both look pretty irresponsible to me. I'm pro-choice by the way, although it's because I don't hold life to be sacred in any way, but let's not get stuck on what the definition of "is" is.
Old 2013-05-14, 14:54   Link #28244
Ridwan

This is what I referred to by "bringing the world down along" few pages back. Not every country shares with US the circumstances that revolves around issues that US culture wars question about. Not every country has culture wars about those very same issues one by one. Not every country has to make culture wars about those same issues using US narratives. But we seem to be heading that way lately...
Old 2013-05-14, 15:10   Link #28245
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Your reference doesn't help your case, unless you have some bizarre definition of "irresponsible behavior".

" most of the time abortion is done due to irresponsible behavior."

That link doesn't support that statement. The survey itself also has an overlap between several categories. "unready for responsibility" overlaps "can't afford" and several other possible reasons.
Well, for starters, look at the AGI study conducted in 2000-2001

Not using contraception: 46.40%
- Forced to have relations: 0.6
Using contraception: 53.60%
- Contraceptive failed despite proper use: 16.9

Even supposing that only 1/10 of those forced to have relations admitted as such, we still have 40.6% who were not using not using contraception in the first place, and those that did use contraception, we can assume that 36.7% did not use them correctly. That basically equals to 77.3% of those who did not use contraception or did not use them correct. How is that not an irresponsible majority?

Quote:
These are also US survey numbers and we're talking about attempts in the US to block abortion access, sex education access, and contraceptive access. Not sure what East Asia has to do with that.
Your problem is that you equalize a diverse anti-abortion into meaning anti-access/education. That's a sweeping generalization.

Quote:
Your math, again, doesn't add up, using your own link. Contraceptives and condoms have fail rates when used properly. Emergency pills have fail rates when used properly. The laws being implemented state by state in the US remove access to care, access to products, and access to education.
1. Look above for the numbers.
2. You seem to have completely ignored that I don't oppose all abortions.

Quote:
I know what is going on, thanks. I'm surrounded by doctors, pharmacists, and technicians who are my friends. I read the news. I follow the research.
I admit, I have to question them if they're that provincial in their outlook.,

Quote:
It isn't an insult to point out you made an assertion without the basis to back it up. If you want to talk about some place like China where people abort because of the collision between the "one child policy" and the culturally sexist desire to have a male, then that's a different topic. You should familiarize yourself with what is going on in the US with the concerted attempt to basically throw women back into second class humanity by an across-the-board attack from social conservative zealots.

These same people in the US do not want to create the infrastructure needed to reduce the number of abortions, hence my analysis that it leaves only two underlying reasons for their actions - punishment for having sex at all and a desire to reshackle women under the old-fashioned patriarchal "values" of chattel.
In short: You're looking at the entire issue in a provincial matter by equalizing any anti-abortion position as being equal to the extremists who plague the US abortion debate scene. That's not really a position any intelligent and logical person should take, especially on a forum which has diverse people from all over the world. Specifically, right now most of the posts which should be restricted to the US is being said in a tone that any and all of the various anti-abortion positions from all over the world equal the extremist fringe.
Old 2013-05-14, 15:38   Link #28246
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I focused on the US because that's where the original article (the doctor who broke the law) is based. The US also happens to be one of the only tech advanced countries where extremism of this nature is such a problem.

That's from an extract of a 2000-2001 survey (one of the many charts in the report). Not using contraceptives includes lack of access to contraceptives and not having the education to understand ways of avoiding pregnancy. Read the whole report.

I "equalize a diverse anti-abortion into meaning anti-access/education." because that's exactly the case in the United States. The anti-abortion person who supports access and education is an outlier.

I'm not fond of abortion myself but I support access to contraceptives and education. I think abortions should be applied sparingly but that isn't what is being pushed in the United States by the primary forces involved. The laws being passed and now in effect in a dozen states are eliminating effective access to all those tools for women.

I jumped on your use of the term "most" because your own numbers don't support that word. Look at what the report calls an "elective abortion" down in the summation section.

Quote:
elective
--too young/immature/not ready for responsibility 32 %
--economic 30%
--to avoid adjusting life
--mother single or in poor relationship ~13%
--enough children already ~4-8%
--sex selection
That's from the summation chart at the bottom of the report that attempted to correlate the dozen pages of data from various states and time periods ranging from the late 80s to a few years ago.

I'd call "too young", "economics", "single or abusive relationships" pretty *responsible* reasons for taking the last resort.
Old 2013-05-14, 15:48   Link #28247
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
I'd call "too young", "economics", "single or abusive relationships" pretty *responsible* reasons for taking the last resort.
The fact they had sex despite the first two circumstances (third is definitely a valid reason) was irresponsible. That already adds up to 62%.
Old 2013-05-14, 15:51   Link #28248
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
The fact they had sex despite the first two circumstances (third is definitely a valid reason) was irresponsible. That already adds up to 62%.
And here's where we'll have to disagree and there probably isn't a way to convert each other.

Sex is a basic human biological function. It is a way people who care about each other bond. For some, it is a way of just escaping. You're calling all of that irresponsible.
Old 2013-05-14, 15:53   Link #28249
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Sex is a basic human biological function. It is a way people who care about each other bond. For some, it is a way of just escaping. You're calling all of that irresponsible.
I do, but then I also live by that standard.
Old 2013-05-14, 16:03   Link #28250
Ridwan

Irresponsible people aren't exactly terminable so I'd prefer ban on late term while providing easy access to early check up and early abortion for safety measure against medical risk and illegal service.
Old 2013-05-14, 16:22   Link #28251
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Whee, what is the definition of responsible/irresponsible again? I call that *irresponsible* for not using contraception, but I call it *responsible* for choosing not to bring a child into that situation. Win-win!
Old 2013-05-14, 16:27   Link #28252
Seitsuki
Onee!

I think it was said before, but there was a reason the topic was dropped. Let's give it a rest ok guys? Nothing good can come from further discussion.
Old 2013-05-14, 18:33   Link #28253
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
I think it was said before, but there was a reason the topic was dropped. Let's give it a rest ok guys? Nothing good can come from further discussion.
Just another one of those topics that tends to lend to people substituting their subjective opinion as objective facts, or at least argue as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just caught up with this thread after a few days, and all I see is talk about abortion and conscription. Did I miss the discussion on the flare-up between Taiwan and the Philippines? It's already Wednesday now in Taiwan. What happened with the ultimatum?
Supposedly Philippines has apologized behind closed doors, and will be doing so again directly to the family of the dead, much to the chagrin of some of the Filipino posters in some news comment sections I read yesterday, some of which apparently wanted open war
Old 2013-05-14, 18:51   Link #28254
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
It is still good to have discussion. Whether East Asia or West Europe, there are morons out there who go "because it is like that" and "how many right parts in the sequence will determine how right the sequence is" to push their skewed beliefs forward.

Causation does not imply correlation. And Murphy's law too; it is just like shooting a criminal in his thigh with an intention to capture him then being blitzed by the public when he got permanent brain damage due to hydrostatic shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Supposedly Philippines has apologized behind closed doors, and will be doing so again directly to the family of the dead, much to the chagrin of some of the Filipino posters in some news comment sections I read yesterday, some of which apparently wanted open war
Most news agencies here didn't report much on it because they don't want to stock inter-racial hatred. The Pinoy government did the right thing by swallowing the bullet - they shouldn't be pushing for open war when both sides have a common enemy of the PRC.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-14, 19:07   Link #28255
Seitsuki
Onee!

....why are we the 'enemy'?

Is China the new America? It's cool to hate on us just because? Or is this going to devolve into nationalist bashing except 'there are more of us here than you so we look right'?
Old 2013-05-14, 19:14   Link #28256
kyp275
Meh

Quote:

Is China the new America? It's cool to hate on us just because? Or is this going to devolve into nationalist bashing except 'there are more of us here than you so we look right'?
I dunno, probably have something to do with the fact that you're trying to claim one of them as your own, and is making ludicrous territorial claims against the other?
Old 2013-05-14, 19:15   Link #28257
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:

Because PRC now acts like it's the suzerain of the old days?
Old 2013-05-14, 19:27   Link #28258
Seitsuki
Onee!

So now it's all 'pick a side'? I don't get why China is the single country that is singled out to be represented by it's government. Most of us are just trying to live our lives, of course we realise we have a crap government, but then vitriol like this comes along, we defend against it and then people point and claim that it's proof all Chinese are out to get them or something. Why is this the single issue so many people get so partisan about?
Old 2013-05-14, 19:29   Link #28259
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
So now it's all 'pick a side'? I don't get why China is the single country that is singled out to be represented by it's government. Most of us are just trying to live our lives, of course we realise we have a crap government, but then vitriol like this comes along, we defend against it and then people point and claim that it's proof all Chinese are out to get them or something. Why is this the single issue so many people get so partisan about?
It's because China is out to get them! Badumbump!
Old 2013-05-14, 19:30   Link #28260
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
That comes from having a crappy government.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international