AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2007-05-09, 13:26   Link #101
charizardpal
灼眼の

Go to a nihonmachi to find the novels in Japanese for about 6 dollars. (They'd be about 3-4 dollars in Japan, but with shipping and handling...)

The novels are impossbile to read though...without pictures those multi-hundred page books are incomprehensible. They also seem to be drawn out with elaborate descriptions meant to throw off the reader. If anyone read the translated Crest of the Stars light novel then you understand what I'm talking about.

「心でなくちゃ、よく見えない。もののなかみは、目では見えない、ってこと。」
charizardpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 17:32   Link #102
Vulcannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmanx View Post
I live in Toronto.

I know for a fact no Chapters nor Indigos would have it in stock.
That's weird. I didn't bother checking the Toronto stores, but according to chapters.ca most of their stores in Vancouver have copies in stock, one of them even has 8. So I can't imagine Toronto locations not stocking any. I just ordered mine online though, the free shipping is great, they do partial ships and it usually only takes 2 or 3 days. And on new items I usually get the manga a week before the store gets around to shelving them.

Does anyone have any idea how long Viz is going to take between novel releases? Educated guesses are fine if they haven't announced that.
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 18:32   Link #103
Dynzel
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

The manga will take awhile.... it's safe to say since volume 3 only came out in Japan on April 27th... >_>; The next release is in October with volume 2 of both the manga and novel. I'm not sure of how long it would take for VIZ to translate the novels after that. I hope it's not too long though--but I'm guessing 2 or 3 volumes each year at the pace they're going at.
Dynzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 19:10   Link #104
Dynzel
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

Geez, this thread is so dead.

I said I'd scan a few pages of the novel here awhile ago so.. uh, here are the first few pages. I don't intend to scan the whole book, though. [Might consider a PDF... but don't count on it too much.] The ViZ Media watermark was put there intentionally by me, except for the back cover, for... um, copyright? :x

Cover | Back Cover | Color Page 1 | Color Page 2 | Color Page 3 | ??? | Prologue: One, Two

I did scan the first page of the first chapter but I stopped due to lack of time (studying for final exams suck) and the first page seemed to end without really cutting off anything of significance so.... :P

Maybe this'll help potential buyers? ;|
Old 2007-06-04, 03:54   Link #105
Shana-tan
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynzel View Post

I said I'd scan a few pages of the novel here awhile ago so.. uh, here are the first few pages. I don't intend to scan the whole book, though. [Might consider a PDF... but don't count on it too much.] The ViZ Media watermark was put there intentionally by me, except for the back cover, for... um, copyright? :x

Cover | Back Cover | Color Page 1 | Color Page 2 | Color Page 3 | ??? | Prologue: One, Two

I did scan the first page of the first chapter but I stopped due to lack of time (studying for final exams suck) and the first page seemed to end without really cutting off anything of significance so.... :P

Maybe this'll help potential buyers? ;|
OMG thank you very much!!

I live in Mexico, and here is almost impossible to buy stuff like this, maybe I can buy it in internet????

Uruchai! Uruchai! Uruchai!
Shana-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 17:26   Link #106
Devard

Quote:
I don't think I saw you post in the original thread, but since it belongs here, I'd just note that a manga based on the tenth novel is in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana-tan View Post
I live in Mexico, and here is almost impossible to buy stuff like this, maybe I can buy it in internet????
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, but in case you aren't, there's always Amazon. Both the manga and the novel are available.
Devard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-04, 20:39   Link #107
Dynzel
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

Devard, I've been a long time lurker in AnimeSuki. XD Never really bothered with joining the forums till recently (been to lazy to participate in community discussions). I don't really go to the SnS anime thread that much either since I'm not really interested in it as much as the original novels. :P

As for the 10th volume of the light novels, it's being done by 木谷椎 (not sure about the romanization) and is due in summer time (no specific date given yet).
Old 2007-06-05, 12:46   Link #108
Shana-tan
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devard View Post
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, but in case you aren't, there's always Amazon. Both the manga and the novel are available.
Well.. not exactly...
Thank you very much! cookie for you and my gratitud

Uruchai! Uruchai! Uruchai!
Shana-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 13:13   Link #109
LD19

Hello everyone. I'm new in here, and just "discovered" Shakugan no Shana a month ago. I'm now a big fan, in fact, I already have the 24 eps, the Special, and the mini-specials (all 4) subbed by Eclipse/Static-Subs.
Right now in using uTorrent to get the RAW novels (until now, I have 8), from MOE. btw, does he post here?
Well, what I wanted to discuss is the possible release date for Shakugan no Shana XV. Acording to the previous release dates, is possible that the release date will be next June 10th.
LD19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 15:57   Link #110
Hazelshock
Touch the bread and die

Wish i could read Japanese (or any other language other then english) I would torrent em 2 but sadly i wouldn't be able to read em =(
Hazelshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-07, 17:42   Link #111
Devard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD19 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new in here, and just "discovered" Shakugan no Shana a month ago. I'm now a big fan, in fact, I already have the 24 eps, the Special, and the mini-specials (all 4) subbed by Eclipse/Static-Subs.
Right now in using uTorrent to get the RAW novels (until now, I have 8), from MOE. btw, does he post here?
Well, what I wanted to discuss is the possible release date for Shakugan no Shana XV. Acording to the previous release dates, is possible that the release date will be next June 10th.
Sources seem to indicate that it may be August 10th.

□■どこよりも早い!! 8月の新刊予定(2007年8月10日発売)■□

◇灼眼のシャナXV
著/高橋弥七郎
絵/いとうのいぢ
Devard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 02:05   Link #112
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:

<snip>
Prologue: One, Two
<snip>
Is it just me, or do the translations seem a bit off/watered down?

Here's the original Japanese prologue, to compare:
Spoiler for original Japanese text:

Last edited by zalas; 2007-06-08 at 02:10. Reason: added Japanese text
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 02:33   Link #113
abizoath

Has anyone done a series of detailed summaries of the SnS novel series?
abizoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 10:31   Link #114
LD19

hey ppl. Well, has I told, I'm extracting Moe's novels with uTorrent. But I know that there is a IRC server, #moe@irc.rizon.net. But it needs to be registered somewhere. Does anyone know where to do that? It would be a great help.
LD19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 13:42   Link #115
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas View Post
Is it just me, or do the translations seem a bit off/watered down?
Any specific sentences or references that seemed watered down?
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 20:30   Link #116
Dynzel
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD19 View Post
hey ppl. Well, has I told, I'm extracting Moe's novels with uTorrent. But I know that there is a IRC server, #moe@irc.rizon.net. But it needs to be registered somewhere. Does anyone know where to do that? It would be a great help.
They tell you how to register a nick here. :]

As for the "watering down" thing... I can't really say since I can't read Japanese (much to my dismay. >_>).

Did I forget to mention I think the NA SnS logo looks lame?
Old 2007-06-09, 17:05   Link #117
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
Any specific sentences or references that seemed watered down?
Original:
受験や将来について深刻ぶる時期は、遥か未来にある。
Viz's translation:
Some part of his brain knew another exam was coming up, but it seemed like the distant future, and he wasn't too worried.

The original is saying that things like entrance examinations (for college, presumably) and times that will be important to his future were still far off in the future. The Viz version dumbs it down to "another exam" and adds in explicit interpretation, like "Some part of his brain knew..." and "and he wasn't too worried," where the meaning would've come across implicitly anyway.

Original:
おっとりした誇りある専業主婦である母・千《ち》草《ぐさ》と、学校から徒歩二十分ほどの一戸建てで二人暮 らし。
Viz's translation:
... Yuji alone with this doting mother. A gentle soul, Chigusa maintained their small home with pride. And every morning Yuji made the twenty-minute walk to school.

The first half of the original says that Chigusa, Yuji's mother, is a gentle and proud full-time homemaker. Nowhere is "doting" mentioned. The second part of the sentence says that they live together in a house (by itself, as opposed to a condo or apartment) that's around a 20 minute walk to school. The Viz translation here made explicit that Yuji walks to school, as opposed to the original, the purpose of which was to give the distance their house was located from Yuji's school and properly establish the setting.

---

All throughout the prologue, these things keep popping up. It would seem that the person at Viz was deliberately removing details that he deemed inconsequential and then adding in explicit interpretations as opposed to letting the reader derive the implied meaning. It makes the story feel a lot more childish, as if the "writer" were holding your hand and taking you through the story in small, gentle steps.
Old 2007-06-09, 18:45   Link #118
Dynzel
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

Hmm.... I did think the book in general was written rather oddly. Not the whole thing but snippets here and there. When I looked at the copyright/credit page, I was kind of surprised and kind of... "what?".

Translated by Yuki Yoshioka & Cindy H. Yamauchi

The VIZ editor [for this novel] must've made some adjustments to the book when the translation was done or an error on the translators' part. Of course, I'm not sure. Sometimes these things are done to make the book suitable to the reader. Though I don't agree with that saying often. It'd defeat the purpose of translating if the sentence is changed from the original meaning, doesn't it?

That reminds me... did anyone read this review at ANN? The whole thing isn't bad but...
Old 2007-06-09, 20:17   Link #119
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Hmm.... I did think the book in general was written rather oddly. Not the whole thing but snippets here and there. When I looked at the copyright/credit page, I was kind of surprised and kind of... "what?".

Translated by Yuki Yoshioka & Cindy H. Yamauchi
Hrm... a quick google showed that they also worked on the Hayate the Combat Butler manga localization. I wonder how Viz credits their translators. As far as I know, they usually have one translator, one rewriter and one editor, but sometimes the translator can do her own rewriting. My conclusion is that it was either intentional for content and target audience, or maybe it was just the person further down the pipe not understanding what the previous person actually meant. Oh well. Let's hope some of these other novel translations are better...

By the way, Dynzel, do you have the rest of the credits for volume 1?
Old 2007-06-10, 10:15   Link #120
Dynzel
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

There's not much for the crediting. It's like every other novel you read in the States, IMO. Here.

They're also working on the manga: (too lazy to scan from the manga)

Translation: Yuki Yoshioka & Cindy Yamauchi
Touch-up Art & Lettering: James Gaubatz
Cover and Interior Design: Sam Elzway
Editor: Ian Robertson

Managing Editor: Annette Roman
Editorial Director: Elizabeth Kawaski
Editor in Chief, Books: Alvin Lu
Editor in Chief, Magazines: Marc Weidenbaum
Sr. Director of Acquisitions: Rika Inouye
Sr. VP of Marketing: Liza Coppola
Exec. VP of Sales & Marketing: John Easum
Publisher: Hyoe Narita